• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U | Crow Fest Thread| Characters Edition

Neiteio

(When Snake isn't in Smash)

"Dear Snake, I wrote you but you still ain't calling
I left my cell, my pager, and my home phone at the bottom
I sent two letters back in autumn, you must not-a got 'em
There probably was a problem at the post office or something
Sometimes I scribble addresses too sloppy when I jot 'em
but anyways; fuck it, what's been up?"

(Leading up to the Final Broadcast)

"Dear Snake, you still ain't called or wrote, I hope you have a chance
I ain't mad - I just think it's FUCKED UP you don't answer fans"

(After Final Broadcast)

"Dear Mister I'm-Too-Good-To-Call-Or-Write-My-Fans--"
"You thought it was Snake, but it was me, Dido!"

Sakurai noted the Nintendog alongside Villager, but we got Duck Hunt.

I think Sakurai's just making excuses about Ridley because he wants to keep it a 'everyone is roughly the same height' series, yet in return, he continues to mitigate him by only putting him into 1 version of the game, as a hazard on 1 stage, when he shares a gimmick with Metalface on the XC stage, compared to last time when he was a boss twice in Sakurai's Smash Opus Story Mode.

He mentions size with Ridley as being a barrier, yet omits Metroid when Ridley was small, various Mario games where Bowser is huge, Olimar is small and he even jokes about the series not having everything to scale. If you consider Sakurai's creativity for characters in the series over and over again, how can it not be baffling that he cannot get over a size barrier for making a playable character?

I'm not really sure why you bring up Nintendog and Duck Hunt, since other than being the same animal, they're not the same at all. One's a realistic animal from a pet simulator and the other is a cartoon dog from a light gun game.

Size isn't the same as scalability, when discussing Ridley, people always get that confused. Bowser, Olimar and even Ganondorf scale down and up just fine.

Just because Bowser was big in a couple games doesn't mean he can't be scaled down. Because he's also been very small in many games as well (check out Mario Kart 64!). He scales up or down as he needs and it looks fine because he's chunky with large areas that can be as big or small as needed without looking scrawny or just outright disappearing.

Ridley doesn't scale down as well due to having really thin parts mixed with thicker parts and his large wings. And the next argument is always "well in those games he has small wings" well those games are 2D and have size restrictions and with 2D there's a bit of abstraction anyway. In 3D games, Ridley has always had huge wings.

The hell? My ears can't hear it the way Sourcegaming is telling me to. Is there any any other character whose chant doesn't have any part of their name?

Dark Pit, sort of I guess.

KingBroly

Banned
Sakurai seems to put a premium on surprises. And what could be more surprising in the next Smash than Ridley?

Sakurai knows the narrative. I'm nearly positive Sakurai continues to work over this riddle in his head.

I think if Sakurai was actively thinking about doing it he would say as much, but he continues to state it as not being true to the character, yet he's not been true to various characters, like Captain Falcon, Ganondorf. He has no interest in doing so, and probably just wishes people would stop asking.

At this point, Sakurai's "surprises" for Smash 5 would include another FE rep, Alph as his own character (UGH), Cranky Kong (which would be amazing, let's be honest) and the Inkling (which isn't surprising)

I think if Sakurai was actively thinking about doing it he would say as much, but he continues to state it as not being true to the character, yet he's not been true to various characters, like Captain Falcon, Ganondorf. He has no interest in doing so, and probably just wishes people would stop asking.

At this point, Sakurai's "surprises" for Smash 5 would include another FE rep, Alph as his own character (UGH), Cranky Kong (which would be amazing, let's be honest) and the Inkling (which isn't surprising)
I'd say Isabelle and maybe Tom Nook could be considered given how huge Animal Crossing has been for years. I'd really hope for another Zelda rep (Impa), Metroid rep (prob not gonna happen) and/or Takamaru. I could see them adding another Mario character (toad/captain toad) and/or another Pokemon. A Rhythm Heaven character could be considered since it's still a somewhat popular ip and most speculate that the reason they didn't make the roster this time was due to hardware issues. They also more than likely will include a few more third party characters.

KingBroly

Banned
I'd say Isabelle and maybe Tom Nook could be considered given how huge Animal Crossing has been for years. I'd really hope for another Zelda rep (Impa), Metroid rep (prob not gonna happen) and/or Takamaru. I could see them adding another Mario character (toad/captain toad) and/or another Pokemon. A Rhythm Heaven character could be considered since it's still a somewhat popular ip and most speculate that the reason they didn't make the roster this time was due to hardware issues. They also more than likely will include a few more third party characters.

Isabelle and Nook probably wouldn't work as playable characters. Like...where would you begin? Isabelle isn't an attacker and Nook...he's more of a Godfather, someone who pays people to fight for him. Takamaru probably won't happen, Captain Toad or Toadette might happen, but I doubt TPC will put in another Pokemon rep since they've been hardasses this gen.

Actually, wait, I just thought about this some more, and I know how I can still be right on a technicality

I said "no realistic guns." Not "no bullet-based guns." Technically, Bayo's guns are colorful and magical.

SO HA, I WIN

*starts shoveling crow down Finale Fireworker's mouth*

Foiled again! And again and again! Why can't I beat him, Octavius?* Why can't I get to him??

It is always once step forward and two steps back! I will beat you, Neiteio. This isn't over!

Octavius is a powerful owl who serves as my animal familiar. He delivers packages and menacingly scouts outside my castle, but generally just serves as a device at which to deliver expository dialog.

Neiteio

Foiled again! And again and again! Why can't I beat him, Octavius?* Why can't I get to him??

It is always once step forward and two steps back! I will beat you, Neiteio. This isn't over!

Octavius is a powerful owl who serves as my animal familiar. He delivers packages and menacingly scouts outside my castle, but generally just serves as a device at which to deliver expository dialog.
Haha, I love this. Octavius needs to be a recurring character in the Finale Fireworker mythos.

exfatal

Isabelle and Nook probably wouldn't work as playable characters. Like...where would you begin? Isabelle isn't an attacker and Nook...he's more of a Godfather, someone who pays people to fight for him. Takamaru probably won't happen, Captain Toad or Toadette might happen, but I doubt TPC will put in another Pokemon rep since they've been hardasses this gen.

Says Isabelle cant make it cause she's not a fighter to then precede to say Captain Todd has a chance lol
White toad cant jump

Haha, I love this. Octavius needs to be a recurring character in the Finale Fireworker mythos.

He is a staple in the YA novels which serve as the expanded universe of my life.

But nobody reads them. Then people complain that my posts are hard to follow.

"Since when do you have an owl?"

Like, jfc, if you didn't even read book two, of course you're going to be lost. Then you have the nerve to call my posts esoteric!

[*Octavius shrieks*]

Neiteio and Finale Fireworker, please don't derail the thread into something different.

Sorry Heath. :(

We said the same thing about the villager and the same could be said about Wii Fit Trainer, Captain Falcon, Fox, Falco, etc. If they want to they could find a way. Agreed on Takamaru but him getting a Mii outfit and AT at the very least shows the developers recognize his fans. As for Mario and Pokémon it could go either way. It'd be a first for the smash series to not get a new Mario and pokemon rep, not that its a necessarily bad thing.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
None of the characters I wanted got in.

I wanted the Masked Man from Mother 3
I wanted Saki Amamiya or Isa Jo from Sin and Punishment
I wanted the Ouendan or the Elite Beat Agents
I wanted Shovel Knight or Shantae

I still think the roster is fucking amazing. And Ioved Corrin's inclusion.

I'll eat a lil crow.

I always thought that the 3rd party companies would each get a 2nd rep.

Capcom with Ryu cause they love him far more than MM.
Sega with Bayo cause Nintendo bent down and reached into the depths of hell to save this series JUST for Wii U owners who wanted more core titles and if Sega let em do that and add in Sonic then WTF not?
Namco would get a character they actually wanted in Smash (We know that the reason Pac Man is in this is because Miyamoto waddled his lil ass over to him and asked him to put him in. Namco made it clear that they wanted someone from one of their currently interesting series in smash ... like a Tales/ SC/ Tekken character)

So yeah ... it didn't go down the way I thought. We got a SE character I didn't even think was possible and I sure as hell didn't know people were requesting him (I'm guessing that Japan was requesting FF characters a lot and he got in for their sake). And we didn't get the Namco 2nd character. And though Bayo got in it's not how I thought, I was do to votes like MINE.

So a lil crow ..
Also I said Pac-man/ MM stood no chance earlier in the hype cycle.)

Mit-

I never tried to make many character predictions because there weren't really any traditionally "qualified" Nintendo characters left after the game came out. All the new characters were more or less a welcome surprise for me.

However I did say there was no way K. Rool was ever making it into the game, as well as Waluigi. Still right.

Neiteio

Like an eyelash in my mind's eye, I'm agitated by how the Bayonetta series came SO CLOSE to having in-game representation on par with series in the base game... It has the character, the stage, the trophies, and plenty of music... But no Assist Trophy.

Imagine an Assist Trophy where Luka swings back and forth across the screen on his grappling hook, crashing into people... It would be amazing!!

But I shouldn't complain. Sakurai worked miracles here. I'm just being greedy.

Also to actually respond to the topic at hand:

I'd say I don't think I adamantly ruled out any of the characters that made it into Smash but my predictions for the roster weren't close. My initial predictions was Palutena, FE:Awakening rep (I thought Chrom/Lucina was likely but I liked the fan pitch for Robin before his unveiling), Mewtwo, Rosalina (I thought they'd want to represent the galaxy series in a special way), Tom Nook (Until Villager's unveiling I figured he would be the inevitable AC rep for the series), Little Mac, Takamaru, Zelda rep (Impa or Tingle), DK rep (Dixie or Cranky), Mii(although I expected a moveset based off of the Wii _____ line of software), and Ridley (I was one of those fools who thought there might still be a chance after he revealed bosses and showed his shadow while he was flapping his wings). Later on as the smash hype cycle went on I believed the initial leak detailing Mii, Pacman (after Megaman's unveiling and Namco helping make the title it was fairly obvious he was gonna join the roster alongside Sonic) and Little Mac. I initially was skeptical of the Bowser jr and Duck Hunt Dog rumor but I bought into it. I also was expecting all the characters from Brawl to be back with only the possibility of Snake or Lucas not returning(and also Ice Climbers after Sakurai announced they wouldn't be back). I thought Dr. Mario would be an alternate costume to Mario not another character. I would've been happy with another new KI rep other than Palutena but Dark Pit was not on my mind and I thought he might be an alternate costume. Kinda figured DLC was going to happen since Nintendo's line is they don't plan on having DLC then a few months after release they will announce DLC. I also never saw Ryu, Cloud, Corrin or Bayonetta actually joining the roster..... Anyway that's all my crow eating.

Guns do not automatically raise the rating to M.

I see/saw a lot of people commenting on how certain characters couldn't get in because of their use of weapons or portrayal, Bayonetta especially. I'm sure it's been mentioned and possibly even in this thread (only read through the first page so far), but DLC doesn't raise the rating of a game, as far as I recall.

Obviously this doesn't mean Nintendo would feel obligated to let Bayonetta be nearly nude, pull of brutal & sexually explicit moves, or shoot bullets that showed exit wounds with blood or anything like that, and they'd probably feel inclined to keep characters representative of the overall "family-friendly" style of smash, but people keep pondering about how the rating could have been at risk because of whatever given example-- even though DLC is rated separately from the base game (if it's rated at all).

Of course I'm willing to eat crow about this since I'm just going off of years of random instances of reading about the rating process and trailers/store pages marked with "DLC not rated by the ESRB" and so forth

Yo, Im not even going to lie.. Someone here linked Bestfriendswatch E3 2014, and the dude on there called it saying they turned Smash into Mugen.

Its freaking true and its fuckin awesome because it would have destroyed minds in the 90's to be possible.

Mewtwo returning, Cloud, Bayo, and Ryu, God tier announcements

Roy, Lucas were prominent announcements also for lesser reasons lol. Shout out to switching up Roy

Wii U version will truly live on and IMHO is probably one of the top 5 greatest games ever made.

Mariolee

Someone on the Norcal Smash 4 group just posted this

10294330_161067854250388_8082983835734717795_n.jpg

Monocle

Great OP. Glad you decided to give Bayonetta another chance. Those games are worth it.

My occasion for Smash-related crow eating was pretty recent. I thought Roy was going to be a wasted slot (another clone, great!) and I wasn't so fond of Ryu's inclusion because I thought there were much more interesting character possibilities, including Bayonetta.

Well, the DLC came out, and I bought it because I'd already decided that I wanted all of Smash 4's content aside from Mii costumes. Turns out that Roy was greatly improved since his last appearance, with many significant tweaks to his style that placed him somewhere between Marth and Ike in terms of speed and power. Even more surprising, Ryu was brought into Smash with insane attention to detail, featuring different strengths for tilt attacks to match Street Fighter's mechanics, and special command inputs for stronger versions of his B attacks. I was blown away! What a great surprise. I don't even care that I was dead wrong about these characters, because they add so much to the game.

Kriken

Even with the ESRB leak, I was convinced Bowser Jr. was still a fake, I still don't like his inclusion in Smash, but whatever

Zalman

At the earliest stages of development I had some hard predictions that all came true. Little Mac, Pac-Man and Palutena were always obvious to me.

I never actually called Greninja, but I was always mentioning him as an idea for a Pokémon XY rep. I didn't think it would actually happen though, mainly because I didn't think they would go for a starter and make him look superior to the other two, so that was a pleasant surprise.

For Fire Emblem, I did actually consider Robin as an inclusion prior to his reveal. My thinking was that Chrom was too similar to the other two guys, both aesthetically and likely gameplay-wise, but Robin was unique in both these aspects. It was also a good excuse to add another female fighter, something they clearly focused quite a bit on this time. So Robin was always an obvious choice to me, but I didn't know whether they would go for him or Lucina. Turned out we got both!

Shulk wasn't talked about a lot prior to the rumors, but he's a first-party character from a new franchise, so he made total sense to me.

Now, as for the biggest surprises: Duck Hunt came out of nowhere. I was one of those who thought the roster leak was fake. So I ate crow for that. I also never expected them to go this deep with third-party characters. I think that in the end, they felt obligated to do it. Third-party characters create the most hype and discussion due to them being the biggest surprises. I thought they were done after Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man, but nope! And I also never thought Bayonetta would be included. She's a niche third-party character, whereas all the others are gaming icons.

Overall I think I did pretty good in regards to predictions. Obviously, being a Nintendo geek and knowing about all their studios/recent games helps a lot. I think a couple of years without Smash will be healthy for the series, and it'll be interesting to see what new characters Nintendo come up with between now and the next game.

Hylian7

I'm not sure if I should consider any of this crow eating because these were either things I had written off in my head or didn't even think about the possibility of, and for either case wasn't particularly vocal or adamant about it.

1. Back in 2012, when Bayonetta 2 was announced, one of the first thoughts I had was that she had a chance to be in Smash 4. She wasn't in the base game and that kind of killed my hopes of seeing her, as she might have been considered too inappropriate for Smash. I still voted for her in the Smash Ballot, but I had pretty much written her off as not happening.

Lo and behold, the #1 character I personally wanted to see in Smash comes out of the full moon, and it was glorious.

2. Wii Fit Trainer and Villager were both ones I filed under the "didn't even consider it" category. Villager was based on Sakurai's comments in the past about there not being a good way to implement an AC character. Wii Fit Trainer was just simply so out of left field that I honestly didn't even think about it, but then when she was announced it made total sense.

3. I expected Chrom too, but I was surprised and much happier to have Robin. It was cool to get our first FE character that used magic and actually brought in FE mechanics of weapons degrading and being used up.

4. Corrin was also under the "didn't even consider it" category, mainly for the obvious reason that we had a lot of FE characters already. Corrin turned out to be the character I didn't even know I wanted. She looks really interesting to play, and has mechanics that have never been done on a fighter in Smash, particularly that stab move where she anchors into her opponent.

5. Ryu was also under the "didn't even consider it" category. I don't really have a good reason for why I never really considered Ryu, the thought just never crossed my mind. I was definitely pleasantly surprised though.

6. I had mostly written off Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy. Mewtwo and Lucas I wrote off because they were trophies in the 3DS version. Roy I didn't really see coming back just because he was mainly for the game that came out around the time of Melee. I was glad to see Roy come back with moves that differentiated him even more from Marth and Lucina.

7. I never really considered Cloud either. If there was any FF/Square Enix character, I thought it would be maybe Cecil, Kefka, Black Mage, or Sora from Kingdom Hearts. Cloud was out of complete left field, but I'm glad we got him. He's pretty much the face of Final Fantasy, and usually the character people think of when talking about FF in general (not any particular game in the series).

8. Greninja I really liked, but also did not see coming at all. I actually did not even think a gen 5 or gen 6 Pokemon would get in, but Greninja is cool and has a unique move set.

I was never particularly vocal about any of these, but all of them really surprised me in a good way. Smash 4 has a dream roster that is truly impressive. I honestly don't know where Sakurai can take it in a potential Smash 5. I mean the game is basically at the top right now since Cloud and Bayonetta are in the game.

I feel bad that I didn't bet anyone that the ESRB leak was true, because I had gotten confirmation on it and I could've rekt anyone who dared challenge me.

:(

Son Of D

Not sure if this counts but I was sure that Dark Pit would have Pit's Brawl Specials when he was first leaked.

Cloud wasn't someone I was expecting either. I thought they'd have gone with Warrior of Light.

I had also said that no franchise would get a second DLC character in response to people mentioning another Pokemon character. Then Corrin happens.

Nightbird

I was wrong about Roy.
I hated it when he was first announced, since I didn't wanted another Marth in the Game, but Sakurai Falco'd him, and now he's actually one of those characters I like to play the most as.

I'm sorry for doubting Sakurai about Roy.

Crayolan

The ESRB leak looked fake as fuck, didn't buy that shit for a second. Well, not until the gameplay videos leaked. >_>

Also I was expecting Wolf to come back after seeing Lucas and Roy return, but I guess not.

Crocodile

Right thread for this image?:

Source

Found it on tumblr. Might be useful :p

-As for crow, I remember Horizon being pretty all in on the Lucina train and all I could do is sensibly chuckle as I thought she had no chance. WELP.

-Thought Bayonetta was off the table for all the reasons already mentioned. I thought those seriously arguing or hoping for her were just people looking to get their hearts broken. WELP

-When I saw Bowser Jr. was in the ESRB leak, I got pretty annoyed because I felt he was such a shit character in his games and I didn't want him in Smash. Clown Car + Koopalings go a long way towards making Bowser Jr. a fun addition to the cast.

-Was pretty sure Roy had no chance of coming back and once the DLC got announced I figured Wolf was a guarantee (especially with Star Fox Zero on the horizon). WELP.

leroidys

The only big ones were me being adamant that the boxing ring stage should not be construed as a hint that Little Mac was in the game, and me assuming that Toon Link had a vanishingly small chance of returning, because seriously, why is he even in this fucking game (as is, I would love to see him with windwaker gear).

- I thought we'd have minimal if any roster cuts from Brawl due to that game's last minute additions being way less erroneous than Melee's Dr. Mario, Pichu or Young Link. RIP Snake, Wolf and Ice Climbers.
I'm admittedly apathetic about Squirtle and Ivysaur.
- I can't remember if I ever outright argued this, but I remember thinking people asking for Ryu after Smash 4's reveal were being naive since we already had a Capcom rep with Megs. Whoops.
- While I always knew Ridley's chances weren't guaranteed, after the comeback it had via DKCR I seriously expected a third DK rep via either Dixie or Cranky (though I voted for K. Rool in the polls).
- I thought Roy had no chance of coming back given we already had Lucina as a Marth clone without the tipper mechanic. In his defense I really love his Smash 4 appearance, though he makes Lucina feel all the more pointless.

I can't really remember being wrong about anything else. On the flipside I definitely remember saying I'd only be cool with Bowser Jr. if he came with Koopalings alts (not that I remotely thought it would happen, but god damn am I glad it did) and that Bayonetta would probably happen.

The only big ones were me being adamant that the boxing ring stage should not be construed as a hint that Little Mac was in the game, and me assuming that Toon Link had a vanishingly small chance of returning, because seriously, why is he even in this fucking game (as is, I would love to see him with windwaker gear).
Well Nintendo still use the character design for a lot of non-major Zelda games as recently as this year and the year of his reveal (WWHD), and Sakurai has stated in general that having a 'young Link' since Melee feels important in representing the different forms Link can take on. Main mistake I made was assuming his reappearance ensured other semi-clones like Lucas/Wolf were sure locks.

HeroR

Although It wasn't part of the discussion on Smash 4, I was more than certain that we would never get a Final Fantasy character given how Square acts with their properties. And no, I wanted a Final Fantasy character not some random Black Mage.

So, I was shocked that not only did we get a Final Fantasy character, we got freaking Cloud of all people. I ate so much crow over that since my brother thought there was a chance of a Final Fantasy character, although he thought it would be someone from 4 or 6.

Edit: And thinking about, I had eat crow on the Ice Climbers. I thought for sure that they were getting in since the 3DS is about as strong as a Wii and rolled my eyes at people thinking otherwise. That was the most bitter crow I ate.

Top Bottom