• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U | Crow Fest Thread| Characters Edition

I still believe the Gematsu leak was true at one point in time. Incomplete, but true. It was likely part of the lineup when they started work, but then certain details changed early in development. Namely, dropping Chrom for Robin and Lucina, adding the clone Dark Pit, and of course Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr.
I forget where it was - maybe the recent Fire Emblem interview - but Sakurai put this idea to bed. He said the characters are locked in pre-production. Once development starts, nothing changes. At worst, people get dropped, not changed or added (except Sonic for other reasons).

It's probably more accurate to say Gematsu had an incomplete picture and tried to fill the holes themselves.

Neiteio

It's really The Internet Narrative (as I'll dub it) that gets MAX CROW

"Sakurai said Animal Crossing Male Townsperson wouldn't work!"
Villager joins the battle! And with a far more succinct name!

"Mega Man is dead, Capcom didn't even put him in MvC3"
Mega Man joins the battle!

"Let's guess everything except Wii Fit Trainer!"
Wii Fit Trainer weighs in!

"Toon Link is a clone, Sakurai won't bother with clones this time"
Toon Link returns!

"Lucario is the old hotness, time for the new hotness Zoroark"
LOL, screw Zoroark, Lucario stays

"Ike will be gone, he's no longer the modern Fire Emblem rep"
Ike returns, and he's ripped

"Chrom is the only possible FE newcomer they could possibly add / Gematsu doth hath foretold it in the stars over thine head"
Robin and Lucina join the battle!
Corrin joins the battle (as DLC)!

"They can't bring back FE Roy, how will we tell him apart from Koopaling Roy"
By using your eyeballs

"Lucas was a one-off character, Mother 3 never came West"
Lucas comes out of nowhere (as DLC)

"What would Rosalina even do?"
Rosalina is a stand character unlike any other character

"Little Mac just punches, what would he even do?"
Little Mac has an amazing ground-based moveset

"What could Pac-Man even do?"
Pac-Man is a dope tribute to Namco arcade history

"Mii Fighters wouldn't work, people will get offended"
Not allowed online, lol

"Mii Fighters would be boring, no one cares about the Wii ___ titles"
Mii Fighters come in three classes that are all pretty damn awesome

"Bowser Jr. would have a paintbrush moveset"
Nope, brush in Final Smash! Instead, enjoy the superior Clown Car and Koopaling alts

"Pac-Man would be the Ugly Googly-Eyed Pac-Man"
Sakurai secures the Deeply Attractive Pizza-Eyed Pac-Man

"Shulk is from a niche game that barely made it stateside"
SHULK IS REALLY FEELING IT!

"No fighting game characters in Smash"
Ryu arrives seeking new challengers

"Cloud has made no notable appearances in Nintendo games"
Cloud storms into battle!

"No bullet-based guns in Smash / No strippers / No innuendos"
Bayonetta gets wicked!

Etc, etc, etc

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I forget where it was - maybe the recent Fire Emblem interview - but Sakurai put this idea to bed. He said the characters are locked in pre-production. Once development starts, nothing changes. At worst, people get dropped, not changed or added (except Sonic for other reasons).

It's probably more accurate to say Gematsu had an incomplete picture and tried to fill the holes themselves.
There is data leftover in the game that suggests a Rhythm Heaven character was planned to be in the game. Not to mention he straight up admitted Chrom was one of the character in planning.

Neiteio

In that case, perhaps the Gematsu leak came from the pre-production phase, via someone who was privy to those deliberations and assumed those choices would be seen through.

There is data leftover in the game that suggests a Rhythm Heaven character was planned to be in the game. Not to mention he straight up admitted Chrom was one of the character in planning.
This too.

I was damn sure Wolf and Inkling(s) would make it in as DLC, and I didn't think Roy would return.

I was wrong!

I also thought the Chorus Kids would make it in because of Gematsu, and that obviously didn't happen, but I don't really count that as being wrong since we know Genatsu was legit and just based on dated information. A Rhythm Heaven rep definitely was in at some point.

RK128

I was damn sure Wolf and Inkling(s) would make it in as DLC, and I didn't think Roy would return.

I was wrong!

I felt that would be the case too Ash but NOPE, two surprise characters out of nowhere :).

If we are getting a NX port or Smash 5 in the next year or two, I could see Wolf, Inklings, Ice Climbers and more be put into that to push sales for the new version or something.

L Thammy

Leftover data? There are Rhythm Heaven enemies in Smash Run. The only other enemy whose series isn't represented by a playable character is Bacura from Xevious (which is probably there because of Pac-Man, who has Xevious sprites in his up taunt).

EDIT: also the subspace emissary enemies I guess

Zyrox

I also absolutely did not expect Corrin. Like, even with Bayonetta, I always had a feeling that she was maybe not the likeliest, but she was not impossible. Corrin, on the other hand, I instantly ruled out, because while Dragon dude would be awesome, we already got Robin. No way they are gonna add another Fire Emblem character. Especially since we got Roy back. But leave it to Sakurai to work his magic. He turned tons of Smash fans' blood from around the world into pure sodium with that announcement. That's a miracle of biblical proportions. Or something.
I'm personally happy Corrin's made it, though. Because, it turns out, dragon dude/chick IS awesome. As long as the Fire Emblem characters keep being so cool and unique looking, Sakurai can add more for all I care.

You... you don't care for the Koopalings??

You're a monster

...OK, I still love you

Aww, love you too, man.

Neiteio

I actually wanted Corrin — I thought his/her design looked cool, as someone who loves the art of modern-day FE — but I thought the earliest we might see him is Smash 5. But the real pleasant surprise was the killer move-set he has.

I mean: A shape-shifting chainsaw-wielding were-dragon with a javelin armor and a Kamen Rider-esque dragon-head!

RK128

The one thing that amazes me is that we got a lot of RPG representation in Smash Brothers.

-Mario Series: Geno Mii Costume, Paper Mario Stage in 3DS Version
-Fire Emblem: Roy, Marth, Lucina, Robin, Ike & Corrin alongside three stages (two in Wii U, one in 3DS)
-Final Fantasy: Cloud playable fighter alongside a Midgar Stage & Chocobo Mii Hat
-Earthbound and Mother 3: Ness and Lucas returning alongside a new stage for the 3DS version
-Xenoblade: Shulk being a playable fighter, getting his own stage (Gaur Planes), and final Smash cameos with other characters from the game
-Pokemon: A number of stages across both versions alongside returning characters (Mewtwo, Pickachu, Jigglypuff, Lucario and Charzard) and a new fighter (Grenjina). Plus more pokemon popping up thanks to Master Balls.

Shows that Nintendo does make RPG's and is great to see that side of them be shown off with Smash :).

Neiteio

Never thought I'd say this, but we need more cartoon animals now. Lots of effeminate girly-men in mah Smash. (I love them, but I can practically smell the hair product.)

We must bring balance to the Force by adding cute critters like Dixie Kong, Chorus Kids, Inklings, Wolf, ICs, etc.
Also Krystal and K. Rool (preferably Kaptain)

But, uh... Please add them in an NX version of Smash 4. I don't want to hit the reset button on the roster again.

EDIT #1: We also need a Jeanne clone of Bayonetta for Ultra Smash Bros. 4 NX

EDIT #2: And an Isabelle clone of Villager that uses the fishing rod

EDIT #3: And Takamaru with a sheath/unsheath move-set

Zomba13

I was super against more FUCKING Fire Emblem animu sword dudes and audibly groaned when the very first thing on the last Smash direct was more FUCKING Fire Emblem animu sword dudes BUT Corrin looks legit interesting and fun and completely not like any other character let alone Fire Emblem character in the game. I will totally eat crow on Corrin.

I WILL NEVER EAT CROW ON CLONES. I honestly would prefer, and 100% stand by, them just being rolled into a character as an alt costume (like Alph, Koopalings, Man/Fem Robin) especially when all that is changed is like, the Final Smash and one move or even if it's just the property of attacks. Yeah, that would lower the total number of fighters but c'mon should you have a completely new spot for a fighter when like, one move is changed? Especially in a game that introduced CHANGEABLE MOVES!

EDIT: Oh, will also east crow on Geno costume. I 100% thought people that wanted Geno were fucking insane stupid idiots for being so passionate about a nobody character from one old SNES RPG where no fan was sure who even had the rights to the character but hey, he got in (in a way)! I didn't even think we'd get a Mii costume! OBviously not really what they wanted but at Geno was acknowledged and that is way more than I ever thought would happen.

Neiteio

I was super against more FUCKING Fire Emblem animu sword dudes and audibly groaned when the very first thing on the last Smash direct was more FUCKING Fire Emblem animu sword dudes BUT Corrin looks legit interesting and fun and completely not like any other character let alone Fire Emblem character in the game. I will totally eat crow on Corrin.

I WILL NEVER EAT CROW ON CLONES. I honestly would prefer, and 100% stand by, them just being rolled into a character as an alt costume (like Alph, Koopalings, Man/Fem Robin) especially when all that is changed is like, the Final Smash and one move or even if it's just the property of attacks. Yeah, that would lower the total number of fighters but c'mon should you have a completely new spot for a fighter when like, one move is changed? Especially in a game that introduced CHANGEABLE MOVES!
Them taking up an extra spot on the CSS doesn't really matter since they can always rearrange the CSS (or add a second page — see 3DS version) to accommodate whatever they want.

So if they're still going to put the work into a new model... Might as well tweak some properties and make it an interesting alternate version of a familiar move-set.

Also, I got a Lucina amiibo out of the deal. The only other way to own an effigy of her boots is the $100 Figma.

-Horizon-

Sad that snake didn't manage to get in. Either Sakurai didn't want a Snake without his buddy Kojima giving his blessing or Konami is allergic to advertising.

Doc can't be an alt costume, due to being a vet.

Lucina couldn't be done with customs

Pit lacks customs that match Dark Pit's two unique specials.

There's literally no reason not to add clones other than time. Mario, Marth and Pit also would have lost half of their colors and that'd be lame. I'm not sure I get the mindset that comes with wanting less content in a game.

With amiibo being multi-use, it's even more important that they were clones and not just alts. Tell a Lucina fan to their face that you don't want their character in Mario Maker or Fire Emblem Fates or Code Name STEAM.

Draxal

Doc can't be an alt costume, due to being a vet.

Lucina couldn't be done with customs

Pit lacks customs that match Dark Pit's two unique specials.

There's literally no reason not to add clones other than time. Mario, Marth and Pit also would have lost half of their colors and that'd be lame. I'm not sure I get the mindset that comes with wanting less content in a game.

Really wanted Alph split off from Olimar, totally agree with you there.

Really wanted Alph split off from Olimar, totally agree with you there.

He was planned to be, but Olimar is a tricky character and I guess they didn't want to complicate things.

Interestingly, while the other clones started their lives as alts, Alph actually started his life as a clone.

JC Lately

Toon Link returns!

"Chrom is the only possible FE newcomer they could possibly add / Gematsu doth hath foretold it in the stars over thine head"

By using your eyeballs

Not allowed online, lol

Nope, brush in Final Smash! Instead, enjoy the superior Clown Car and Koopaling alts

Bayonetta gets wicked!

Etc, etc, etc

I've never wanted a like/up vote button on GAF as much as I do now. Bravo.

RK128

Toon Link returns!

By using your eyeballs

Not allowed online, lol

Bayonetta gets wicked!

Etc, etc, etc

p7U1fHij5UxOM.gif

Amazing post man :').

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Leftover data? There are Rhythm Heaven enemies in Smash Run. The only other enemy whose series isn't represented by a playable character is Bacura from Xevious (which is probably there because of Pac-Man, who has Xevious sprites in his up taunt).

EDIT: also the subspace emissary enemies I guess

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/01/26/smash-4-wii-u-data-discoveries/

ui_mark_db has references to rhythm (in the fighter section) and diary (in the stage selection). This is the game’s database for the emblems (marks) used in the game. See the original order below (text edited to delete extra markup). One theory is that the Gematsu Leak was correct, and the Chorus Men were originally planned. Diary is a potential reference to Swap Note, as the Japanese name is for the series is いつの間に交換日記 with 日記 being diary. One proposed theory is that PictoChat 2 originally was going to be a Swap Note themed stage, but was changed after the controversy. However, nothing else in the files suggests that so far, and the actual textures for the emblems are missing. The emblem order follows the character order. It’s sad to see that the Ice Climbers and Snake were removed.

Please note, it seems that the textures for these series have been removed. Stay tune for additional information.

smashbros donkeykong starfox kirby fzero metroid mother pokemon zelda mario yoshi
fireemblem gamewatch
pikmin wario palutena famicomrobot sonic plankton touch doubutsu
wiifit xenoblade punchout duckhunt rhythm rockman
nintendogs miiplaza pacman tomodachi wreckingcrew
wuhuisland miiverse lightplane braintraining balloonfight diary etc

It was either a character or a stage.7

Bayonetta gets wicked!

Etc, etc, etc

Remember in the pre-direct thread where I listed all the "rules" Sakurai has broken? Didn't you say that realistic bullets and guns were one you didn't think he'd go back on?

Because if so, choke on it, you nerd.

If not, I humbly and sincerely apologize, and bid you a peaceful night.

KingBroly

Banned

Toon Link returns!

By using your eyeballs

Not allowed online, lol

Bayonetta gets wicked!

Etc, etc, etc

and yet...Ridley is too big for Sakurai.

Neiteio

Remember in the pre-direct thread where I listed all the "rules" Sakurai has broken? Didn't you say that realistic bullets and guns were one you didn't think he'd go back on?

Actually, you're right. I said that during my case for Jill. And in my case for Bayonetta, I thought they'd have to go around the guns by using her swords, etc.

So yes. You're right.

But there is no one I would rather be owned by than you, dear friend. :)

On a side note, the other rule I said Sakurai wouldn't break is that he would stick to videogame characters. Thank Palutena I was right on that one, otherwise we'd have Goku in Smash. *shudders*

I honestly think Sakurai's gonna continue mulling this one over.

Ridley in Smash 5!

Forkball

Things I was wrong about that happened:

+Dark Pit. I thought there was no way he was getting into the game. I mean during Palutena's video, he appears at the end. Why not just announce him right there?
+Smashboards leak. For those who don't know, Smashboards claimed a specific leak that revealed the entire roster was 100% true and swore by it, despite sharing no evidence. They had this info months before the inevitable ESRB leak. I was extremely skeptical about it (Dr. Mario?!?) because they didn't show any proof beyond some ridiculous examples such as "There's a blue Bowser alt so that proves our sources are right!" Low and behold, it turns out the leaked roster they claimed was true was 100% accurate.
+Bayonetta. Personally I thought she was a pretty out there choice even after seeing Ryu come into Smash and that people were just setting them up for disappointment, but here we are.
+No Roy. When Mewtwo was announced, and then Lucas, it was clear that Sakurai was adding in cut characters. Roy's game never even came out in America, so I thought he would join Pichu in the land of forgotten characters.
+Super Mario Maker stage. I thought it would be an obvious inclusion for Smash 5, and I could not have guessed that it would come out in this iteration.

Things I was wrong about that didn't happen:
+Takamaru. I was sure he was getting in, especially after Murasame Castle was getting a release in the west FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER. We already got Little Mac, a character pretty unknown to Japanese Smash fans since his game never came out over there, so I thought the perfect counterpart would be Takamaru. Then he was assist trophy'd. I still think he has a big chance for Smash 5.
+Wolf. I thought he was the most obvious shoe in for a DLC character. Sakurai reintroducing cut characters, new Star Fox, it was all there!
+I thought an FF character was possible, but that it would be a Moogle or Chocobo. Honestly I'm surprised we didn't get a Dragon Quest character.

Things I was right about that didn't happen:
+No K. Rool. Sakurai is wise as he is kind.
+No Inklings. They would be a major addition to Smash 5, so I can't see Sakurai blowing that big reveal for a DLC character.
+No Snake. I thought there was a chance, but that it was slim at best.

I thought I'd be happier now that I have more characters I want to play, but for some reason it just weighs even heavier on me now that they still never included someone I genuinely wanted. Maybe Corrin will help but I just keep looking at the roster and don't feel compelled anymore. I was happy enough grinding out learning to play Lucy and backing it up with Robin and occassional dips into Palutena and Zelda but after the end of DLC I'm just 'meh' on playing any of them now -.-

My friend loving Cloud doesn't help admittedly :p

I really wasn't looking forward to having Pacman in the game, because I thought that Sakurai would have to make him similar to today's Pac.

I'm glad that I was wrong. Sakurai directed his team to create a Pacman that is new, and faithful to his roots

Neiteio

Bayonetta is not sexual.
Her sense of humor certainly is. :)

professor denim said:
Btw would it be too late to jump in Smash?
Never get to really play one but i do play other fighting games regularly.
Smash-GAF will welcome you into its bosom with open arms

Bayonetta is gonna turn the game on its head, so now's as good a time as any to join!

PK Gaming

I didn't think Wolf was a lock and I wasn't feeling the Inklings either.

I did vote for Corrin and Bayonetta so i'm basically Nostradamus, ask me anything.

I voted for K Rool too :<

Sponge

Banned
I thought Mega Man was a lost cause after Inafune left Capcom. E3 2013 blew me away when Smash 4 was announced and Mega Man was in the game. I just didn't see it coming.

Bowser Jr. never seemed that likely to me. Like most people, I thought a light Bowser clone with a paint brush wouldn't be that interesting to add. Leave to Sakurai to give us Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings in a Clown Car. Brillant.

Then there's Dixie Kong. That very same E3 where we saw Mega Man, we also saw Tropical Freeze. Dixie Kong was back and I was positive now was her chance. I remember she had some data on Brawl's disc back when her and Diddy were going to be a tag team character. Pretty crushing to be here two years later and completely wrong. I still don't get it, I guess it's because Tropical Freeze bombed?

KingBroly

Banned
I honestly think Sakurai's gonna continue mulling this one over.

Ridley in Smash 5!

I think he just continues to jump through hoops to not do it. Just like he continues to jump through hoops as an excuse to put in MORE Fire Emblem characters. He should just make a Soul Calibur game for the Fire Emblem series at this point, because that would be a lot better.

Personally, I think Mega Man in Smash is almost too perfect.

Other than the Villager thing, everything else noted was entirely made up by the fanbase.

However, this is now the second game in a row where Sakurai has said Ridley is too big and couldn't work in Smash.

So I really don't see that changing, unless Ridley gets a massive design change that allows him to scale down better.

L Thammy

Thanks, but what I meant was that we don't even need the hidden data to realize that a Rhythm Heaven character was in the works. The Smash Run presence of the series strongly suggests a Rhythm Heaven character was worked on and scrapped. They probably added the Sneaky Spirits before they removed the character.

I forgot, but Ice Climbers has the same thing going on. There's a polar bear in Smash Run. In that case though, we know for a fact that the character was being worked on and why they were scrapped. We even know that their crowd chant was in the game due to a glitch.

Neiteio

Actually, wait, I just thought about this some more, and I know how I can still be right on a technicality

I said "no realistic guns." Not "no bullet-based guns." Technically, Bayo's guns are colorful and magical.

SO HA, I WIN

*starts shoveling crow down Finale Fireworker's mouth*

Azure J

Things I was wrong about that didn't happen:
+Takamaru. I was sure he was getting in, especially after Murasame Castle was getting a release in the west FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER. We already got Little Mac, a character pretty unknown to Japanese Smash fans since his game never came out over there, so I thought the perfect counterpart would be Takamaru. Then he was assist trophy'd. I still think he has a big chance for Smash 5.

NEVER FORGET MURASAME MONDAY. (Scroll down)

KingBroly

Banned
Other than the Villager thing, everything else noted was entirely made up by the fanbase.

However, this is now the second game in a row where Sakurai has said Ridley is too big and couldn't work in Smash.

So I really don't see that changing, unless Ridley gets a massive design change that allows him to scale down better.

Sakurai noted the Nintendog alongside Villager, but we got Duck Hunt.

I think Sakurai's just making excuses about Ridley because he wants to keep it a 'everyone is roughly the same height' series, yet in return, he continues to mitigate him by only putting him into 1 version of the game, as a hazard on 1 stage, when he shares a gimmick with Metalface on the XC stage, compared to last time when he was a boss twice in Sakurai's Smash Opus Story Mode.

He mentions size with Ridley as being a barrier, yet omits Metroid when Ridley was small, various Mario games where Bowser is huge, Olimar is small and he even jokes about the series not having everything to scale. If you consider Sakurai's creativity for characters in the series over and over again, how can it not be baffling that he cannot get over a size barrier for making a playable character?

Neiteio

Sakurai noted the Nintendog alongside Villager, but we got Duck Hunt.

I think Sakurai's just making excuses about Ridley because he wants to keep it a 'everyone is roughly the same height' series, yet in return, he continues to mitigate him by only putting him into 1 version of the game, as a hazard on 1 stage, when he shares a gimmick with Metalface on the XC stage, compared to last time when he was a boss twice in Sakurai's Smash Opus Story Mode.

He mentions size with Ridley as being a barrier, yet omits Metroid when Ridley was small, various Mario games where Bowser is huge, Olimar is small and he even jokes about the series not having everything to scale. If you consider Sakurai's creativity for characters in the series over and over again, how can it not be baffling that he cannot get over a size barrier for making a playable character?
Sakurai seems to put a premium on surprises. And what could be more surprising in the next Smash than Ridley?

Sakurai knows the narrative. I'm nearly positive Sakurai continues to work over this riddle in his head.

Top Bottom