• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U | Crow Fest Thread| Characters Edition

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
tbh i am disgusted and tired by non-nintendo characters finding their way into this prestigious series dedicated to the magic of nintendo that cannot be found anywhere else

instead now we have characters like pacman and sonic and worst of all had snake a SONY character in a NINTENDO franchise

he has no place and no history with nintendo and it is dishonourable to put him even in the same breath as ice climbers and duck hunt dog

now bayonetta a grimdark try hard character made for xbox first yes she is on nintendo NOW but she wasn't made for nintendo and she is forgettable so she has no place

this series was special once....

ffdgh

Almost forgot this beauty :p
0EeJz0e.png

Razmos

Can someone explain the appeal of Wolf to me?

Why did people seriously want a clone to be a big, final announcement? I've seen lots of reactions now and it's amazing how many people are saying "Wolf!?" "WOLF!?!" after Sakurai mentions the final new character. "It's gotta be Wolf!"

I just don't get why a clone is so requested and why people would want him over an original and unique character like Bayonetta.

SoulUnison

Banned
Like several others I thought Bayonetta had *no* chance due to her sexual nature, gun-heavy fighting style, and entirely well-deserved M-rating in her home game.
Honestly, I *still* don't know how they managed to get her in Smash with its E10 rating and still have her feel like herself, but here we are!

For sort of the inverse of the same reasons, I kind of thought Sora would be a shoe-in for a DLC Third-Party character.
Half his series is on Nintendo handhelds, he's perfectly family friendly and fits into Smash almost instantly, aesthetically, and his series is already a giant crossover.

I also think Snake absolutely would have been DLC, if not a Veteran in the base game, if Konami wasn't just... Awful.

Why did people seriously want a clone to be a big, final announcement? I've seen lots of reactions now and it's amazing how many people are saying "Wolf!?" "WOLF!?!" after Sakurai mentions the final new character. "It's gotta be Wolf!"
I just don't get why a clone is so requested and why people would want him over an original and unique character like Bayonetta.

I think it's partially because he's never playable in the Star Fox games and Smash is kind of light on villains, anyway.
Also, people tended to really like his taunts. I remember the howl and "What's the matter, scared!?"
I don't miss a third Star Fox character with the same basic moveset. As long as he doesn't even get a unique Final Smash, I don't even see the point of *Falco.*

It varies, some people just want as many veterans back as possible & see clones as low effort/easy expectations.

A lot of people wanted Wolf in cause they're strictly in "Camp villain" (supporting ridley, k.rool, wolf etc)

Then there's Boss Doggie who has his own motivations.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wolf plays like a feral werewolf. No other character plays like that in Smash. This is the closest thing I have for a Jon Talbain.

And hush you, I have no ulterior motivations. None at all!

FSLink

Banned

Did you even use Wolf?

He has very different A moves from Fox and Falco, and his B moves while similarly named act very different and have different properties.

He has an interesting moveset, and people like his character design, what's so hard to understand?

I don't think he should get over Bayonetta, but I think people were at the very least expecting Wolf + Ballot character at the minimum especially since somehow Roy got in who is tons more similar to Marth than Wolf was to Fox and Falco. I also personally rather have Corrin than Wolf too, but it does feel weird for us not to get him.

Sorry for the aggressiveness, but it's pretty annoying when people say something like Lucas is so similar to Ness and Wolf is so similar to Fox/Falco. Yes, they share some similar animations and move names, but if you played them for more than a minute, their gameplay differences are much more than just Melee Marth vs Roy's differences or Smash 4 Pit vs Dark Pit. Having a cool character design with a different moveset should be welcomed, especially if it takes less development time due to sharing some animations.

EDIT: Yeah it's a lot like Smash 4 Mario vs Luigi, some similar animations but gameplay-wise they play VERY differently.

I have to say, I was adamant that the ESRB leak was not real for the longest time mostly because I really wanted the Ice Climbers (my Brawl mains) to return.

On that note, however, I'm almost glad the Inklings didn't make it in this round as they'll likely have a better move-set (no 3DS limitations) and better integration when they are included in the next game.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Wolf is as much of a clone as Luigi is to Mario.

He's a much more fun Fox variant than Falco.

FSLink

Banned
I have to say, I was adamant that the ESRB leak was not real for the longest time mostly because I really wanted the Ice Climbers (my Brawl mains) to return.

On that note, however, I'm almost glad the Inklings didn't make it in this round as they'll likely have a better move-set (no 3DS limitations) and better integration when they are included in the next game.

I was personally hoping it wasn't complete since I wanted Lucas, Dixie Kong, Ice Climbers, and Isaac. But Wario ended up being the last character unlocked for the first 3DS JPN player. :(

There was only one veteran I was 100%, absolutely completely positive would not return. I'm sorry Roy. I shouldn't have doubted you.

Cryxok

Wolf is as much of a clone as Luigi is to Mario.

He's a much more fun Fox variant than Falco.

Luigi shares more with Mario than Wolf with Fox/Falco IMO. Wolf's normals are really really different and unique. His F-Smash dash is one of my favorite moves in the series.

I too wanted Wolf back and thought he was a sure thing since Lucas and Roy came back. He was my main during the late Brawl days and was hoping to main him in Sm4sh... got my old Smash64 main buffed so I can't complain that much.

Now that I think about it... they haven't confirmed him for Star Fox Zero either have they? Hope they aren't planning to ignore him with this soft-reboot as they did with Krystal.

NotLiquid

I will happily eat crow about Bayonetta since that's the newcomer of this game I most love as a character yet believed it wouldn't work in a million years. I insisted that any Platinum rep would have to be a TW101 character since they're easily suited for Smash and more readily available for Nintendo, but nope. Here Sakurai makes me look like a fool in front of my family and friends, and I love it.

Was almost positive Ridley or Isaac would have made it into the game.

Ridley was a stage hazard, and Golden Sun got robbed in every aspect.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Luigi shares more with Mario than Wolf with Fox/Falco IMO. Wolf's normals are really really different and unique. His F-Smash dash is one of my favorite moves in the series.

I too wanted Wolf back and thought he was a sure thing since Lucas and Roy came back. He was my main during the late Brawl days and was hoping to main him in Sm4sh... got my old Smash64 main buffed so I can't complain that much.

Now that I think about it... they haven't confirmed him for Star Fox Zero either have they? Hope they aren't planning to ignore him with this soft-reboot as they did with Krystal.
We have seen Wolfen ships in the trailers. I doubt we would have Star Wolf without Wolf!

ffdgh

It wouldn't take no more than three matches with wolf to see that he is not a dang clone. Where the heck did this meme start.

FSLink

Banned
It wouldn't take no more than three matches with wolf to see that he is not a dang clone. Where the heck did this meme start.

When Wolf leaked for Brawl and some of the first things leaked was that his Final Smash was another Landmaster....yeah I can see people thinking he's a clone.

The issue is that people still think this when playing for him more than a minute would make it obvious.

DR2K

Banned
Other than Roy making it in, it's been a perfect roster. Would have been nice to see a Splatoon rep.

tbh i am disgusted and tired by non-nintendo characters finding their way into this prestigious series dedicated to the magic of nintendo that cannot be found anywhere else

instead now we have characters like pacman and sonic and worst of all had snake a SONY character in a NINTENDO franchise

he has no place and no history with nintendo and it is dishonourable to put him even in the same breath as ice climbers and duck hunt dog

now bayonetta a grimdark try hard character made for xbox first yes she is on nintendo NOW but she wasn't made for nintendo and she is forgettable so she has no place

this series was special once....

Geez, talk about putting something on a pedestal. That being said the only crow I'd get was just assuming characters with no significant history on Nintendo consoles could get in. Despite the fact Guest Characters are normally that. Guests.

fhqwhgads

It varies, some people just want as many veterans back as possible & see clones as low effort/easy expectations.

A lot of people wanted Wolf in cause they're strictly in "Camp villain" (supporting ridley, k.rool, wolf etc)

Then there's Boss Doggie who has his own motivations.
In terms of villains it's the only thing Playstation All Stars has over Smash. That game had like 6 or 7 villains. Us Villain folk tried to save Smash from being bested and we failed. I hope you're all happy, the sony ponies beat us.

In terms of villains it's the only thing Playstation All Stars has over Smash. That game had like 6 or 7 villains. Us Villain folk tried to save Smash from being bested and we failed. I hope you're all happy, the sony ponies beat us.

It was at most like 5 actual villains.

The ESRB leak was pretty much confirmed when it managed to show a glitch that was also present in the 3DS E3 demo that no one picked up until after the leak was known about.

ffdgh

Because Sakurai is the world's #1 Fire Emblem Fanboy.

I also get the sense he doesn't like Metroid or DK, but that's just my personal opinion.
Look on the bright side, Samus is one the best characters in the game and the worst...just like zelda :p

Well if we were to count Bowser jr and the koopalings as 8 Villains, smash 4 has the most bad guys in the series. :p

fhqwhgads

Well if we were to count Bowser jr and the koopalings as 8 Villains, smash 4 has the most bad guys in the series. :p
PSASBR still wins if you're counting costumes, since a bunch of DLC stuff changes them into other characters.
SONY STAY WINNING #yearofdreams

FSLink

Banned
The ESRB leak was pretty much confirmed when it managed to show a glitch that was also present in the 3DS E3 demo that no one picked up until after the leak was known about.

Yeah, that's when I really started believing, especially since the first few leaks included a Shulk doing his Ike-esque jab combo on Yoshi's Island (Brawl). With the crappy camera, definitely kinda looked like a Brawl mod.

Looking back I don't think I really committed to much of anything. There's a lot of speculation on my part but I wasn't one of the folk prone to making rules or saying x or y definitely wouldn't be in.
I think the only bird-eating I could maybe commit to is believing the fake Palutena maybe? :3

"Eating crow" as a phrase makes me smile because my dad and uncles actually killed, cooked and ate a crow when they were a gang of curious little boys and apparently it wasn't a tasty experience :p

It started back up just recently after being shown to not be coming back. For a few years we actually had some peace from it as people started to come around to Wolf not actually being a clone.

I was pretty positive that Shovel Knight would get a spot in Smash. He seemed very fan-favorite-y, had a standard pose amiibo (so a more action-y one would have been perfect for Smash) and he'd end up with a bunch of neat moves.

Either him or Steve from Minecraft but I think he was more of a long shot.

This thread reminds me how my policy of keeping my thoughts to myself and never voicing opinions as certainties has allowed me to keep a crow-free diet so far.

Since the above makes for a boring post, I'll post my beliefs that turned out wrong:
1) I thought Wolf would make it back, especially after Lucas and Ike, two much less differentiated clones, made it as DLC. To be honest I still don't understand why he's not back and he's probably the biggest loss in Smash 4 after the Climbers and trainer Pokemon.
2) I really hoped that Bayonetta or Wonder Red would be in the game but I didn't want to place too big a hope on them so as to not be disappointed. I had pretty much lost all hope and the final character reveal took me completely off-guard.
3) Never in a million years would have I expected Cloud of all characters to be in. Even now it feels like such a non-sequitur. FFVII was huge for me back in 1997, with me playing through the Japanese version and then the US version, and Advent Children, for all its faults, keep the characters fresh in my mind and heart, plus Cloud is the definition of iconic, so I of course bought it as soon as he was released. He also plays so damn well, which is a plus, and his stage is really cool without being unplayable.
4) I didn't expect another Fire Emblem rep at all, but Corrin seems really cool and unique, so I'm definitely in.
5) Before release I still had some hope that Ridley would make it. Once it showed it as a stage hazard, all hope went out the window. :D
6) Every single third party newcomer took me entirely by surprise. Megaman because it was so early in the Smash hype cycle and we had never had a Capcom rep, Pacman because we had never had a Namco rep, Ryu because a second newcomer from a company plus him being DLC were both new things to happen, Cloud for obvious reasons, and Bayonetta because there was only one newcomer remaining and it seemed like wishful thinking. Shulk was the only one I could have predicted, but then he's not technically third party.

Copypasting this from another board:

I advocated against Bayo for awhile here, so I guess I should speak up.

I just didn't think it would happen because, in addition to the nudity/gun thing, I didn't think Bayonetta was a big enough franchise to warrant an inclusion in Smash Bros. Every other third party in Smash has been a highly iconic gaming mascot of sorts, ranging from Pac-Man to even Solid Snake. As good as Bayonetta's games are, in terms of impact and fame, they're kind of small time in comparison to Sonic The Hedgehog, Final Fantasy, and so on.

But, I do understand why she got in, and that being because she was apparently the most realistic popular choice from the ballot. Quite frankly I didn't even know they were gonna take that thing seriously at all lol. But I digress. Overall, congrats to the Bayonetta fans out there. She wouldn't of been my first pick but she does look really fun and interesting, and sometimes I guess that's all that matters.

As a bonus, here's some other things I got wrong:

-I thought Wolf would be back, in the base game or as DLC
-I thought Mewtwo would be on the base roster
-I thought we'd get Takamaru as atleast one of our retro characters
-I thought we'd get Chrom as our FEA rep
-I thought Chorus Kids and Chrom would get in based on the Gematsu leak
-I thought Bowser Jr. and Rosalina would be assist trophies (not kidding here lol)
-I thought Pokemon Trainer would come back fully intact
-I thought Ice Climbers would come back

There's some other things. Back in the early days of Smash 4 speculation (shortly after E3 2013), much like most people I briefly thought that characters like Lucario, Ike, and Toon Link would get cut, but shortly afterwards I thought about it and figured they'd had a good chance to come back before they were actually revealed. I kinda went back and forth on Snake. The majority of the points above were things I firmly believed in until we got official confirmation/deconfirmation on stuff.

Like several others I thought Bayonetta had *no* chance due to her sexual nature, gun-heavy fighting style, and entirely well-deserved M-rating in her home game.
Honestly, I *still* don't know how they managed to get her in Smash with its E10 rating and still have her feel like herself, but here we are!

For sort of the inverse of the same reasons, I kind of thought Sora would be a shoe-in for a DLC Third-Party character.
Half his series is on Nintendo handhelds, he's perfectly family friendly and fits into Smash almost instantly, aesthetically, and his series is already a giant crossover.

I also think Snake absolutely would have been DLC, if not a Veteran in the base game, if Konami wasn't just... Awful.

I think it's partially because he's never playable in the Star Fox games and Smash is kind of light on villains, anyway.
Also, people tended to really like his taunts. I remember the howl and "What's the matter, scared!?"
I don't miss a third Star Fox character with the same basic moveset. As long as he doesn't even get a unique Final Smash, I don't even see the point of *Falco.*
Well when you load up any game with online play it warns you that the esrb rating doesn't apply to the online component. So I imagine that's why they got by it fine.

Also I'm not that bummed about Wolf, but out of the three fighters from Star Fox, I had the most fun with him.

DrArchon

I never voiced my predictions here (given I wasn't a member before the game came out), but I did have a prediction roster in my head, and boy was I wrong about a whole bunch of stuff.

-I thought we would only get 1 Mario rep and that it would be either Toad or Bowser Jr. Hadn't counted on Rosalina at all.
-I thought Dixie had a good shot at getting in.
-I thought Pokemon Trainer would come back.
-I thought Ice Climbers would come back.
-I thought Wolf would come back.
-I thought Chrom was a lock instead of Robin or Lucina.
-Prior to the E3 reveal I thought Villager wouldn't get in.
-I thought if we were going to see an FF rep it would be either a Moogle or a Chocobo, not a named character. Or it would've been a Slime to rep DQ.
-Never thought of Dark Pit getting in.
-I never thought Duck Hunt Dog or Wii Fit Trainer were realistic. At most I thought they might get stages, like Animal Crossing got in Brawl.

Not a lot of Crow to eat seeing as I kept my predictions to myself, but I was definitely wrong about a lot. I'm glad though, because I'd have hated to have successfully predicted 100% of the roster. Nothing better than happy surprises.

Velcro Fly

I thought for sure we'd get more stages announced that weren't character related.

Also I'm good with what we've got but it feels like a huge gut punch to get two third party characters and a FE main character for a game that isn't out yet and zero new Nintendo characters. I'm not really complaining but it shocked me.

RK128

I thought for sure we'd get more stages announced that weren't character related.

Also I'm good with what we've got but it feels like a huge gut punch to get two third party characters and a FE main character for a game that isn't out yet and zero new Nintendo characters. I'm not really complaining but it shocked me.

I really think Inkling was considered for Smash 4 but due to any of the following factors:
-3DS Hardware limitations
-Wanting to save them for future Smash titles
-They couldn't get the ink mechanics working well within the Smash gameplay

They couldn't put them in Smash. I feel that if we are getting a NX version of Smash 4, Inklings WIll be in that alongside Wolf, Ice Climbers and other characters.

Corrin is owned by Nintendo. Wouldn't that make him/her our new Nintendo character?

Top Bottom