• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U | Crow Fest Thread| Characters Edition

Velcro Fly

Corrin is owned by Nintendo. Wouldn't that make him/her our new Nintendo character?

I meant an existing one. Not sure how much of a following Corrin got on the Smash Ballot but I just sort of expected something a little different than what we got.

And when they announced Corrin I thought for sure we'd get an Inkling announcement too since Splatoon has done so well.

I can see them wanting to save it though and maybe if custom moves are coming back go all out with customs using different weapons and specials and stuff like that.

Again my initial disappointment was mostly that the ride was over. I think Corrin and Bayo will be fun to play like all characters have been

Draxal

Because Sakurai is the world's #1 Fire Emblem Fanboy.

I also get the sense he doesn't like Metroid or DK, but that's just my personal opinion.

Metroid's next probable char is Dark Samus which was already an At so no go for the dlc.

I do think he's not a fan of DK as Dixie should be in by now.

Honestly, I never in a million years expected Bayonetta to get added. Ever. It was a pipe dream that would never happen. I would've settled for Wonder Red, and that's who I ended up voting for, since he seemed much more likely an addition to Smash than Bayonetta.

Let's just say I eagerly await Febuary.

It varies, some people just want as many veterans back as possible & see clones as low effort/easy expectations.

A lot of people wanted Wolf in cause they're strictly in "Camp villain" (supporting ridley, k.rool, wolf etc)

Then there's Boss Doggie who has his own motivations.
Or people like me who mained Wolf in Brawl wanted their main back. And no he plays nothing like Fox and Falco. Their final smash is the only thing they have in common. He was so satisfying to play as. I have nothing against the characters that did get in over him as I feel any characters is great to have.

As for crow, I guess Palutena getting in or Wolf being a sure thing. I'll gladly do that since I got Shulk, Mewtwo, and Bayonetta.

Draxal

People wanted wolf in because he was the last non joke vet that was reasonable to be brought back (no pichu, snake, or climbers for that reason). It wasn't an odd thought when they brought Roy of all characters back.

RK128

It varies, some people just want as many veterans back as possible & see clones as low effort/easy expectations.

A lot of people wanted Wolf in cause they're strictly in "Camp villain" (supporting ridley, k.rool, wolf etc)

Then there's Boss Doggie who has his own motivations.

I personally wanted Wolf back due to loving unique moveset compared to Fox/Falco alongside him being somewhat expected (Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy got back into smash via DLC, expecting Wolf wasn't that unrealistic).

Honestly feel that he wasn't included in Smash with the final wave of DLC was due to Cloud, Bayonetta and Corrin needing more resources put into them considering they are completely brand new fighters. So, I'm not upset about Wolf being gone due to resources that would of went into bring back an returning fighter into a getting three new characters.

And while I don't expect this to happen, I would not be surprise if Wolf is a 'one more thing' announcement around the release of Star Fox Zero. Could help push sales of that game and by the time Wolf releases (would be after Bayonetta and Corrin), everyone on the team can work into getting him done faster. But again, not expecting this considering how final Sakari presented the final direct; he looks to be finally done with Smash DLC.

Can someone explain the appeal of Wolf to me?

Why did people seriously want a clone to be a big, final announcement? I've seen lots of reactions now and it's amazing how many people are saying "Wolf!?" "WOLF!?!" after Sakurai mentions the final new character. "It's gotta be Wolf!"

I just don't get why a clone is so requested and why people would want him over an original and unique character like Bayonetta.

Because, and this has been repeated so often and so long that time-space fabric has worn thin and generated its own anomaly and looped into itself, Wolf is not a clone, or if it is, is the least clone-ish character in existence. He's Luigi's levels of non-clone.

I didn't think Sakurai could possibly disappoint me with a character choice in the final direct, I had no real stake in the likely contenders. And then Corrin showed up, and Sakurai manages to surprise me yet again.

Because, and this has been repeated so often and so long that time-space fabric has worn thin and generated its own anomaly and looped into itself, Wolf is not a clone, or if it is, is the least clone-ish character in existence. He's Luigi's levels of non-clone.

Luigi isn't even that much of a unique character, at least animation wise. Luigi actually has more in common with Roy than some of the more unique semi-clones in Smash (Falco and Lucas).

I can't get over Luigi still using Mario's run animation. Falco, Ganondorf, Toon Link and Lucas all have unique run animations. Luigi of all characters, does not. His back, up and neutral airs are all shared, along with his up and down Smash, his jump animations (except for his first jump forward), his hurt animations, cliff animations and even most of his sound effects.

Luigi is one of the most cloned semi-clones in the series, so I always find it weird when he's put with Lucas, and above Falco, even though Falco has substantially more unique animations than Luigi.

I'm pretty sure Luigi's down smash animation has been different from Mario's since Brawl. It's kind of like a lot of Roy's moves--same general idea but the animation was tweaked.

Isabelle and Nook probably wouldn't work as playable characters. Like...where would you begin? Isabelle isn't an attacker and Nook...he's more of a Godfather, someone who pays people to fight for him. Takamaru probably won't happen, Captain Toad or Toadette might happen, but I doubt TPC will put in another Pokemon rep since they've been hardasses this gen.
Seriously? Villager, dude.

I cannot believe that people are still doing the "not sure how _____ would work..." Especially for characters who have already have Smash representatives from their series. C'mon.

It took Sm4sh for them to actually give Luigi his jump lol
Yea, but only his first jump and only when jumping forward. Back jump or double jump and he's right back to being a Mario animation clone.

How does FALCO of all characters have a unique run animation, while Luigi does not. And Falco's had unique jumps since Melee!

Ugh...

And Mario's run animation is pretty bad anyway. Mario's had a fairly consistent running style since SMB3, with his arms out. This is used in basically every game that's come out, except 3D World. You know your animation is generic when Mii Brawler uses it as their running animation haha.

Luigi's also had a fairly consistent unique run animation, used in the Mario and Luigi series, along with SM64DS, Mario Galaxy, etc. Where he tucks his arms in, and runs kind of like he's pretending to be a train or something.

Neoxon

Eh, I'll take my L like a man. I didn't think Sakurai could censor Bayonetta enough to keep the ESRB happy while keeping Bayonetta true to her character. I'm actually rather impressed.

It wasn't a matter of me not wanting her, it was an issue of me not wanting her to be butchered. And to be honest, this is a win-win situation for me. I'm glad that I was wrong about her. In all honesty, I'm surprised that I didn't discover this thread sooner. IntelliHeath had to tell me about this.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So where do we go for discussion? The OT? But it feels different compared to the old hype threads.

Also I honestly wonder where people got the "Wolf reuses assets" thing. We never actually got a confirmation from Sakurai. Yeah he has Fox's skeleton but otherwise the only thing that shows it was that one video and even then it somehow misses the fact that many characters share copied moves.

Wolf always struck me as being to Fox as Sakura is to Ryu, whereas Falco is basically Ryu's Ken. The origins of the moves (more so his specials) is obvious, but they still have more of their own spin on the concept than Falco and a fair few of his own unique normals. It's very close but I'd almost argue Wolf's a more unique character than Lucas is, who doesn't seem to get the same 'clone' disdain.

Shame about the Landmasters tho.

So where do we go for discussion? The OT? But it feels different compared to the old hype threads.

Also I honestly wonder where people got the "Wolf reuses assets" thing. We never actually got a confirmation from Sakurai. Yeah he has Fox's skeleton but otherwise the only thing that shows it was that one video and even then it somehow misses the fact that many characters share copied moves.

Most of smashGAF is hanging around in a Discord chat now.
Quote to see an invite link.

Top Bottom