• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

I'd be okay with Krystal, but I still don't think you need to cut a character for her.

Actually, I think I spot Gaur Plains right below the Pyrosphere...at least, that's what I'm assuming.
The post says it's supposed to be a Fire Emblem field, though, so I'm afraid not.

Mit-

I doubt they've ripped models from 3D Pokemon games in the past and I doubt they have some issue now due to a lack of a 3D Wii U Pokemon game models to steal.

I think you guys underestimate what these teams are capable of and what standards they likely hold themselves to.

That's like saying they ported Brawl models into the 3DS Smash. There's no evidence of this and what we've seen so far in the 3DS game is fairly contradictory.

I wouldn't be surprised by this other than the lack of a new up to date Fire Emblem rep.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Actually, I'm pretty sure the Smash threads have already been relegated to Community before. I'm not sure why we've not been relegated to it since then; my only theory is because there's still technically news coming out of the daily images, although most of it's small, and the big news generally gets its own thread.

Being relegated to Community isn't a bad thing, btw. In all honesty, I find posting in the communities a lot more enjoyable than trying to post on Gaming or OT proper, since you tend to get to know posters better, and you have a lot less of people falling over themselves to make a drive-by one-liner joke instead of actually discussing things.

Basically you just repeated what I said. Yeah, Smash 4 community 4 thread were send to Gaming Community because they confirmed that we wouldn't hear anything from Nintendo for long time due to the fact that games aren't in production yet. That's only time that Smash were send to there.

Yes, Daily images are the reason why our threads are still alive as same thing with Brawl Dojo Thread.

I understand your point with Community but new members wouldn't notice the threads and we just had a flood of new members here so that's good thing about hype thread. Smash 4 OT will bring the true community together for whoever would stick with Smash OT. Hopefully it wouldn't die out fast as PSABR OT.

PikaED

Would love a 3DS one.

EDIT: Anyone got the rumour from the WFT/Villager dude?
My unlikely predictions: Little Mac, Pac-Man, Animal Crossing Guy, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Mii.
Direct Link to the post
Link to Gemastu Article
Apparently,this was posted by someone from Gematsu, after they recieved an assumed anonymous tip, that those 6 were to be reveled at E3. They didn't seem to believe at all prior yo E3, hence the 'unlikely prediction' post.
They posted that article linked above shortly after the Wii Fit Trainer was revealed.
Most people speculate that the other 3 characters were set aside for later, since the trailers seem like they could be revealed in any order.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Since others have done it I thought I'd update my old roster image to reflect the site's style:

ibrrbAIMOLNuz7.jpg

Tyeforce

To be completely honest, I think we might get one more big "surprise" character in the vein of Wii Fit Trainer and that's it. The fact of the matter is that there's a finite well of Nintendo characters to pull from, and Sakurai already said that he isn't going to include any unexpected characters purely for shock value. Wii Fit Trainer was certainly a surprise, but Wii Fit happens to be one of Nintendo's best-selling series of all time.

Looking back at Brawl, aside from the initial batch of characters with Snake, the only true shockers revealed on the Dojo/post-release were Pokémon Trainer and R.O.B. All of the other newcomers were regularly discussed beforehand -- even Wolf (which people forget about because Krystal was more expected) and Toon Link (remember the "Sakurai radio interview" rumor?).
Yeah, I agree 100%. Besides, even highly requested characters among the diehard Smash fans like Takamaru would be a big surprise to most people, since most people don't even know who he is. But for those of us who are more knowledgable about all these Nintendo characters like many of us here, I think the roster will end up being relatively "safe" and will largely consist of expected characters, plus maybe a couple that are a little less expected but still highly requested. Also, the surprise for some characters may come in how the character is depicted in Smash Bros., like the Rosalina & Luma combo we got.

Village

He'll steal all your counters if you're not careful.

Avant Garde Cothic Std. Bold Condensed

Because I made the old image long before this current Cranky Kong craze.

Up date for Crunkiy kang.

Speaking of Crunky, if he gets included . I know ihave stated this before, but it would be cool if he hat ate a bunch of mushrooms and was gigantic boss. Or a masteroshi type situation where he is in his prime again, but has different moves than dk.

Tyeforce

I'm pretty sure the font that's used on the official site for the character names is ITC Avant Garde Gothic STD Bold Condensed. That's what I use in my roster, and it looks very similar. It also happens to be a font that Nintendo uses for Nintendo 3DS marketing (which is why I know about it and use it myself).
My roster:
TcyudKH.png

The official site:
lmSiPWJ.png
The scaling is a bit different there, as well as the spacing between characters, but they look pretty darn similar to me. That font is my go-to font for all the graphics for my StreetPass group, so it was pretty convenient that it worked out for this, too!

EDIT: Didn't see BGBW's reply, looks like that settles it then! I wasn't 100% certain that that was the exact font, but if I'm not the only one suggesting it it's probably the same.

Christopher

Since others have done it I thought I'd update my old roster image to reflect the site's style:

ibrrbAIMOLNuz7.jpg

There's NO villians in that roster...? Half of the fun in smash too is going one on one with yoru favorite villians.

Eggman
K Rool
Ridley

These guys NEED to be in...we need to smash up our baddies too.

Platy

There's NO villians in that roster...? Half of the fun in smash too is going one on one with yoru favorite villians.

Eggman
K Rool
Ridley

BAG is the villain there

Sheriff and Glass Joe aren't exactly good guys either

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Now I'm here thinking about a possible moveset for Bag.
I wrote this long ago:
eShop Shopping Bag Special Moves

B: DSi Shopping Channel
Summons the cast of Mario Bros 2 to throw an egg into a box. This will power up B Side. They can be knocked away by opponents, but if they run into an opponent they'll chuck the egg at them.

B Up: Wii Shopping Channel
Summon a ? block underneath Bag and retro Mario will jump from the bottom of the screen to hit it giving Bag a boost. Mario will damage anyone he hits.

B Side: Present
Throws a small present from within itself at the opponent. If it connects the present opens and a random game icon will pop out inflicting damage based on the game.

B Down: Demo
On the ground it will jump in an arch, if in the air it will slam down.

Tries to land on the opponents head handles down so as to cover their face with its body. Will keep giving them damage for the next thirty moves.

Final Smash: 3DS eShop
The washing line appears at the top and then the baubles skim across the screen dropping at random intervals. Bag hides behind a box in the background and it lasts until the game has downloaded i.e. enough baubles have filled the box.

Eggman
K Rool
Ridley

Mario, Bowser, DK, Wario, Ganondorf, King Dedede, Wolf, Imakuni, Glass Joe, R.O.B?

I doubt they've ripped models from 3D Pokemon games in the past and I doubt they have some issue now due to a lack of a 3D Wii U Pokemon game models to steal.

I think you guys underestimate what these teams are capable of and what standards they likely hold themselves to.

I don't know, some of the models from Melee looked straight from Stadium/Colosseum and quite a few from Brawl looked like from BR

Charizard from Pokemon Stadium JP:

Charizard from Melee:

Blastoise from Pokemon Stadium 2:
Blastoise from Melee:

Pretty much ALL the Melee Pokemon look identical to their Stadium and Colosseum models. With Brawl I can't really prove they're imported models since they're hi-poly enough to not really be distinct, and at the very least the Pokemon in Brawl have altered textures to fit in the game better. But I imagine if they did it for Melee, and the models are there to use, why not just import them? Hackers to this day are importing BR models and getting them to fit in just like the on-disc Pokemon

I'm not even saying it's lazy or bad at all if they did, in fact if it lets them get more content in the game faster I'm all for it.

DaBoss

Melee was rushed and was on a really tight schedule. Brawl most likely had more time with this.

Do you have some examples of Brawl?

Berordn

Pretty much ALL the Melee Pokemon look identical to their Stadium and Colosseum models. With Brawl I can't really prove they're imported models since they're hi-poly enough to not really be distinct, and at the very least the Pokemon in Brawl have altered textures to fit in the game better. But I imagine if they did it for Melee, and the models are there to use, why not just import them? Hackers to this day are importing BR models and getting them to fit in just like the on-disc Pokemon

I'm not even saying it's lazy or bad at all if they did, in fact if it lets them get more content in the game faster I'm all for it.

There's really no reason for them not to do this, either. GF/TPCi has these models lying around for a reason, for uniform representation and easier inclusion.

Melee was rushed and was on a really tight schedule. Brawl most likely had more time with this.

I've got no direct feed shots of PBR, but:

Deoxys-A in PBR:
hqdefaultjlkon.jpg

Deoxys-A in Brawl:
deoxysbrawly6kqh.png

I just think it would have been a waste of time making all new Pokemon models when there's perfectly good, hi-res and fully-poseable models just sitting right there that the Pokemon Company spent a ton of time making to be used in all their 3D properties.

I could post comparisons with Brawl models, and the models are once again identical, but there's nothing nearly as distinctive about them as the textures on the N64/Melee models. They both look just like the official art, there's nothing that gives away where they came from. In fact Brawl has a completely different lighting system so the Pokemon in Brawl look better than the ones in BR.

I could be totally wrong, but unless its explicitly stated where the models came from, we can't know for sure. I'm just going off the pattern and that it makes more sense to me to just reuse the models.

DaBoss

I've got no direct feed shots of PBR, but:

Deoxys-A in PBR:
hqdefaultjlkon.jpg

Deoxys-A in Brawl:
deoxysbrawly6kqh.png
Thanks. Seems like it uses different textures and the lighting is different in PBR and Brawl (PBR looks like shiny plastic.

As I said earlier, GF has much much better models that they can give to Sakurai's team to work with, and they seem to fit really nicely going by Xerneas.

Well on the topic of Pokemon, anyone have any Pokeball ideas? Taken from my Y version team so far :p

Tyrunt- Stealth Rock: sharp rocks are spread across the stage that damage you if you touch them. They stick wherever they land, which can be the undersides of platforms or on walls and ledges.

Manectric- Thunder: clouds form from Manectric's back and float around the stage, randomly discharging thunder at players.

Fletchinder- Roost: feathers fly around the Pokemon, anyone standing directly under it (only room for one character) will get healed somewhat.

Also I have an idea for a Mega Stone item that can be picked up and used as a blunt item like a fan but does very little damage, but when thrown at certain Pokeball Pokemon causes them to Mega Evolve and perform a much more powerful version of their move.

Berordn

As I said earlier, GF has much much better models that they can give to Sakurai's team to work with, and they seem to fit really nicely going by Xerneas.

Looking at a few others it seems like they're using the same models as a base and just modifying them to be a little lower quality for Brawl (or some extra graphic/lighting effects in PBR):

torchicbrawlqzubj.png
hqdefaultzbubc.jpg

weavilebrawlcqulf.png
hqdefaulty6u76.jpg

I'd be a lot easier to say for certain if I had something other than low-res Youtube screen captures to go off of, though. Maybe I'll do that later.

Mit-

Well I think Melee shows that they wouldn't be against importing models from a last-gen game.

The X/Y models would likely be of an acceptable quality if they absolutely couldn't make new models themselves that at least use other models as a base.

I don't think the fact that this is an HD Wii U game will prevent them from putting a similar amount of Pokemon in the game.

Berordn

Well I think Melee shows that they wouldn't be against importing models from a last-gen game.

The X/Y models would likely be of an acceptable quality if they absolutely couldn't make new models themselves that at least use other models as a base.

I don't think the fact that this is an HD Wii U game will prevent them from putting a similar amount of Pokemon in the game.

They already have the models from Pokedex 3D Pro to work with:

They almost certainly made the ones for X & Y in this quality before scaling them appropriately for use in the games.

Mr Swine

Banned

Eggman
K Rool
Ridley

I really hope Sakurai or Sega adds Dr Eggman to the rooster. We need more villains like him!

Fiktion

Banned
No third party franchise is getting more than one rep.

I would support a Medusa inclusion to get a female villain in there, but that's a longshot.

I will reject any rumor that does not include Ridley/Kraid, K. Rool, or a Wonderful 101 representative.

I'm going to be a sad man when the game releases.

SmithnCo

A playable version of Brinstar Depths, you can choose which way and when to tilt the stage, you gain kills by causing people to self destruct.
Truly it would be the most novelty of novelty modes.

And control it with the touchpad.

A hazard controlling mode would actually have some hilarious potential.

Top Bottom