• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

mindsale

As foolish as it may be, it has dampened my enthusiasm quite a bit, but further updates could turn things around for me. I just need something to raise my excitement again. Anyway, I won't fill up this topic with my complaints. I'm just disappointed. I'll come to deal with it myself. If I can accept Wii Fit Trainer, I guess I can get over this eventually.

If you need a shoulder to cry on when Nameless Scientist 6 from Metroid isn't announced as playable, I'm here for you.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Other rumor

I'm not going to bother with some vain preface and balderdash in an attempt to establish credibility. Read and think what you will, but remember to come back to this list as more and more revelations show concurrence.

<u>Final Character Roster</u>

1st Row: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Rosalina, Bowser, Wario, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Mewtwo
2nd Row: Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Toon Zelda, Pit, Palutena, Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede, Fox, Falco, Krystal, Marth, Chrom & Lucina
3rd Row: Mii, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Ness, Samus, Olimar, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers, Little Mac, Takamaru, R.O.B., Mr. Game & Watch, Mega Man, Sonic, Pac-Man

All names written as announced upon selection.

Cut: Ike, Lucas, Wolf, Snake
Reworked: Pokemon Trainer

Clarifications and general information are as followed:
- Mewtwo was the final character solidified in the roster.
- Mewtwo will not use either Mega Form.
- Mewtwo's Final Smash is called "Psycho Break".
- Lucario's Final Smash has not been finalized.
- Zelda's transformation into Sheik has not been changed.
- Samus's transformation into Zero Suit Samus has not been changed.
- Pokemon Trainer no longer commands Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard.
- Pokemon Trainer's Final Smash is called "Tri-Pledge" or "Triple Pledge".
- Pac-Man will be announced at E3 2014 via Nintendo Direct.
- Ganondorf will be revealed at E3 2014 via Nintendo Direct.
- Release date will be announced at E3 2014: Wii U being "early autumn" and 3DS during the holidays.
- Other characters are at the whim of marketing demands regarding showcasing

Regarding Chrom & Lucina: During the selection screen, the player may choose who to start the match with. Both Chrom and Lucina have a separate moveset and fight individually, save for when any of their specials are used, at which point their partner will materialize (having been out of view in any other circumstance) to perform a combo and switch them out. Their specials are the same in name but perform slightly differently depending on who was in use upon their activation. They share the same Final Smash, which does not induce a swap out. Switching is instant, considering the special being used, and has no transformation delay.

Regarding Krystal: No blaster--she uses her anticipated staff from Star Fox Adventures. Her Final Smash isn't yet decided but is narrowed to the names "Krazoa Spirit", "Krazoa Takes" (which may be a misinterpretation on my end), simply "Krazoa", and "Quake".

That is all I know for the time being. Other details and finishing touches I will learn gradually throughout the first and second quarters, upon which time most information will be pouring out regardless. I'll close in saying that this isn't my first time at the rodeo, fellows, and that I know how this whole routine usually plays out; despite inevitable doubt and ridicule (even though complaints at the "drought of information" are everpresent and ongoing), know that it was my pleasure to share this leaked information with my peers and friends, as it always.

So I was right. He was really fucking late.

Because he's one of many secret character, so of course he's very late.

Berordn

So I was right. He was really fucking late.

Things might be a bit different this time around anyway. Having secret characters stay secret nowadays is an exercise in futility since it'll all get leaked and propagated. I'm sure Luigi among others is still an unlockable character (if the whole roster isn't there from the start, anyway) so he might just be showing off anyone and everyone this time to save us the grief.

Things might be a bit different this time around anyway. Having secret characters stay secret nowadays is an exercise in futility since it'll all get leaked and propagated. I'm sure Luigi among others is still an unlockable character (if the whole roster isn't there from the start, anyway) so he might just be showing off anyone and everyone this time to save us the grief.

Basically this. I can't see Toon Link being a starter character unless unlockable characters are a thing of the past.

NeonZ

Basically this. I can't see Toon Link being a starter character unless unlockable characters are a thing of the past.

If there's another Toon related character, it'd make sense to have Toon Link as a starter. And Luigi as a secret is pointless by now. Melee handling of previously secret characters (turning half of them into default ones) was correct, Brawl's "If you've ever been unlockable before, you're going to be a secret again" was silly.

Not

Banned
None of these rumors are true except the one guy who reported WFT and Villager before E3. Why do we indulge?

I would love for that last rumor to be true, simply because it's the only one that has Wolf getting cut for Krystal. She'd be so much more interesting than Wolf IMO, who's halfway to being a second Fox clone. (Of course, ideally I'd rather have both. It's never fun when any character's fanbase gets screwed with a cut.)

Krystal's definitely one of my most hoped-for newcomers since Mega Man and Rosalina are already in. And hey, she might actually have a chance since Sakurai said he wanted more females in the roster this time around.

Frankly, I prefer fake leaks like the one with "the stork from Yoshi's Island".

ALL these "rumours" are about characters talked about on the Internet: Ridley, Takamaru, Dixie, King K Rool, Palutena, ...

I'm sure the roster will have big surprises. And I'm sure that all these characters we always talk about won't be in. It's like Brawl. There's characters that a lot of people expected in Brawl that still aren't in Smash Bros. But we had ROB or Snake.

Fake rumours posters need to step up their games

SmithnCo

ALL these "rumours" are about characters talked about on the Internet: Ridley, Takamaru, Dixie, King K Rool, Palutena, ...

I'm sure the roster will have big surprises. And I'm sure that all these characters we always talk about won't be in. It's like Brawl. There's characters that a lot of people expected in Brawl that still aren't in Smash Bros. But we had ROB or Snake.

Yeah, a lot of them aren't very original or exciting. It's like they assume WFT is the one big WTF character, but I think Sakurai has more surprises.

Exactly. I'm sure Sakurai will include fan-favorites, but what really adds credibility to a rumor (even if only a little) is something totally out there that nobody expects. Sakurai is a crazy, fun dude, why would he only include characters that are being actively asked for? No one asked for WFT and she was the most talked about character at the reveal.

Ryce

To be completely honest, I think we might get one more big "surprise" character in the vein of Wii Fit Trainer and that's it. The fact of the matter is that there's a finite well of Nintendo characters to pull from, and Sakurai already said that he isn't going to include any unexpected characters purely for shock value. Wii Fit Trainer was certainly a surprise, but Wii Fit happens to be one of Nintendo's best-selling series of all time.

Looking back at Brawl, aside from the initial batch of characters with Snake, the only true shockers revealed on the Dojo/post-release were Pokémon Trainer and R.O.B. All of the other newcomers were regularly discussed beforehand -- even Wolf (which people forget about because Krystal was more expected) and Toon Link (remember the "Sakurai radio interview" rumor?).

Have we heard anything from the guy that predicted Wii Fit Trainer? And did he ever mention how he found that info? I forgot.

I want a Neorice avatar....Sakurai pls ;-;

Neiteio

How would you guys feel if they replaced Lucario with Blaziken?
I don't see any reason for that when both Lucario and Blaziken were prominently featured in X and Y. Both received Mega forms, and both are given away (Lucario in-game, and Blaziken via download event).

I really like Mega Blaziken, though. I think he would look amazing in Smash.

Berordn

How would you guys feel if they replaced Lucario with Blaziken?

Neutral. Blaziken's got more flare and style and Mega Blaziken looks better than Mega Lucario, but I don't think they'd be radically different either way.

But it's probably never happening since Lucario's TPCi's darling child still.

Ryce

Have we heard anything from the guy that predicted Wii Fit Trainer? And did he ever mention how he found that info? I forgot.[/SPOILER]
An anonymous source emailed him saying that those six newcomers would be revealed at E3. He hasn't heard anything from the source since then.

WELP! On my way to APEX to play some nonstop SMASH 64 TEAMS and watch all the HYPE!!

If I get a decent connection maybe I'll post from there. Otherwise, enjoy the weekend SmashGAF! I'll be back to let you all know how much I carried people with that 360 controller to N64 adapter ;]

DaBoss

Actually Mewtwo will be a Lucario clone. Buts that's just me.
lol

I love both Lucario and Blaziken. Would be extremely happy if we can get both.
WELP! On my way to APEX to play some nonstop SMASH 64 TEAMS and watch all the HYPE!!

If I get a decent connection maybe I'll post from there. Otherwise, enjoy the weekend SmashGAF! I'll be back to let you all know how much I carried people with that 360 controller to N64 adapter ;]
Good luck out there!

Clean:
daily_20140117_kaj6a.jpg

I'm not sure if they can do that. Community is mainly for the games that are released, not announced games with lack of information (Smash 4 from 2011 to 2013), or series community. This thread is for daily image, which would be update for 5 days. every week until the game got released. I think it's possible that moderator would lock the thread for few days if people are getting out of control.
Actually, I'm pretty sure the Smash threads have already been relegated to Community before. I'm not sure why we've not been relegated to it since then; my only theory is because there's still technically news coming out of the daily images, although most of it's small, and the big news generally gets its own thread.

Being relegated to Community isn't a bad thing, btw. In all honesty, I find posting in the communities a lot more enjoyable than trying to post on Gaming or OT proper, since you tend to get to know posters better, and you have a lot less of people falling over themselves to make a drive-by one-liner joke instead of actually discussing things.

Everyone was doing character rosters, so I decided to try my hand at a stage roster (Wii U version). It's rough and not terribly pretty to look at, but it is what it is:

kBf5ZNs.png

No names, as is customary, and you're supposed to guess, I guess.

The images are more intended to show what I think they should be based on, not what the stages themselves would actually look like.

Though I will give you the answer to one of them, because it's just not possible to guess--dark green one with the tree on the bottom left of the main group is supposed to be a Fire Emblem countryside type thing, kind of a field battle version of Castle Siege. Not easy to get a picture that communicates this idea.

Maybe I'll do a 3DS one later.
I don't see a Xenoblade stage here. Honestly, even if we don't get a Xenoblade character, we should really have a stage from it; the environment design is absolutely stellar, and there's too much good music to just let waste.

Also, Outer Heaven should have "It Has To Be This Way" as a track. Tournaments should have this music turned up to 100% chance of being used, and host all final rounds there.

I've been playing a lot of Brawl/Project M and man what is up with the Pokeball Pokemon? It seems like all I ever get is Lati@s, Munchlax, Bonsly and Gardevoir. I was actually surprised when Snorlax came out this morning because it had been so long since I got one that I forgot it was even in the game!

Also I'm thinking very few of the Pokemon will be from Gen V and VI, because there is no Stadium/Colosseum/Battle Revolution to pull all the models from and they have to be made from scratch. There's the 3DS models, but those are all probably very low-poly, so either the new Pokemon will look like crap on Wii U or most will be 3DS only. It's just a guess but so far most Pokemon were either sprites or just had their model pulled from one of the 3D games, and since the games now ARE 3D there's really no novelty in making a Stadium-type game anymore.

Spinluck

rumor sounds like the usual bullshit.

but this one seems to be playing it really safe to sound more legit.

these are probably the worse things about waiting for smash- all the bullshit that people with too much time on their hands like to make up. that and the stupid arguments.

I've been playing a lot of Brawl/Project M and man what is up with the Pokeball Pokemon? It seems like all I ever get is Lati@s, Munchlax, Bonsly and Gardevoir. I was actually surprised when Snorlax came out this morning because it had been so long since I got one that I forgot it was even in the game!

Also I'm thinking very few of the Pokemon will be from Gen V and VI, because there is no Stadium/Colosseum/Battle Revolution to pull all the models from and they have to be made from scratch. There's the 3DS models, but those are all probably very low-poly, so either the new Pokemon will look like crap on Wii U or most will be 3DS only. It's just a guess but so far most Pokemon were either sprites or just had their model pulled from one of the 3D games, and since the games now ARE 3D there's really no novelty in making a Stadium-type game anymore.

there's technically more Pokemon, but they're mostly legendaries and therefore have lower frequencies

....no idea about Latios/Latios though

DaBoss

Really? They used PBR models for Brawl?

Anyways, GF already have models for all Pokemon that are scalable and should be usable in Smash.
GTEvoLR.gif

GFS64rg.gif

JazzmanZ

Everyone was doing character rosters, so I decided to try my hand at a stage roster (Wii U version). It's rough and not terribly pretty to look at, but it is what it is:

kBf5ZNs.png

No names, as is customary, and you're supposed to guess, I guess.

The images are more intended to show what I think they should be based on, not what the stages themselves would actually look like.

Though I will give you the answer to one of them, because it's just not possible to guess--dark green one with the tree on the bottom left of the main group is supposed to be a Fire Emblem countryside type thing, kind of a field battle version of Castle Siege. Not easy to get a picture that communicates this idea.

Maybe I'll do a 3DS one later.

now you've done challenged me to make my own.

I recall from Brawl the pokeball pokemon selection was bad and the frequency was odd.

EW NO I do NOT want a roster with Krystal over Lucas. That's not even funny. I'd sooner take the Stork over that.

.I don't see a Xenoblade stage here. Honestly, even if we don't get a Xenoblade character, we should really have a stage from it; the environment design is absolutely stellar, and there's too much good music to just let waste.

Actually, I think I spot Gaur Plains right below the Pyrosphere...at least, that's what I'm assuming.

Top Bottom