• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS Thread 2: Where Pilotwings is apparently Minecraft

Timeaisis

Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS |OT3| Xerneas is too big!

I'm also found of

Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS |OT3| "I think I see a reflection in Samus' helmet..."

Kouriozan

sakurai_zps35514482.png
Found the OT title.

"Sakurai has absolutely nothing to announce today"

solomon

That got disconfirmed long time ago. It came from IGN leaker that leaked many false things for E3 2013 and Nintendo Direct.

Now I'm not sure if I would use examiner as source anymore. It sound like they are desperate for more clicks.

Aight cool, I was like Anime is smash!
QTQs2xg.jpg

The only way I'd give you this is because Brawl is the youngest of the Smash games. And if its given that each game shares a similar growth arc then yes, Brawl's data set (depth) would be the smallest of the three games.

Otherwise it just sounds like you can't imagine how a game with no hit-stun and little in the way of combos could be a competitively rich game. Brawl has SO many more dynamics than Smash64. Those dynamics lead to all sorts of interplay that Smash64 doesn't even sniff at. And interplay and counters (and real time decisions) are at the heart of fighting games.

I was at Apex 2013. I saw the Smash64 finals. It had more non-engagement (a trait people bemoan in Brawl) than Brawl has ever had. Whiff whiff, move. Whiff, whiff, move. Whiff whiff whiff. Hit, your dead. Reset. But even still, the core of the battle dynamic is something all three games share and promptly feature. The core of Smash, the dynamics of controlling space more closely resembling the dynamics found in a platformer, is the heart of Smash interplay and counters. People act if Brawl abandons some type of fundamental trait that would cause to fail to live up to this basic inception as a sort of Platform-Fighter.

You said you play the games, and watch videos. Can I ask you. What do you think Brawl players are doing? Are experiencing? If they're not playing a game that at a broad level sits in the same competitive depth of Smash64? You think all the work poured into Smash64 yields a product that isn't able to be reproduced with Brawl because at some level Brawl doesn't foster the structures capable of a similar level of play? You think a group many times bigger than the Smash64 tourney group ever was, can put equal amounts of work into Brawl and not reach a meta-game that is anywhere close to Smash64's?

Smash 64 is wayyyy more punishable, so 1v1's in that game are more cautious and involve a ton of mind games/spacing. Melee 1v1's are the best IMO because there's less hitstun and it's less punishing whereas 64's hitstun allows for INSANE combos which makes it the best for teams over the other games.

I've had these debates for years and honestly it's tiring. If you guys can, please provide me with videos then of what you're talking about and/or tutorials on how to do the advanced tech that Brawl has over the previous games. I'm asking out of genuine curiosity because what you guys are saying is very true, but that doesn't take away from my point that the gameplay fundamentals of Brawl do not have the same level of skill-demanding depth as 64/Melee. I'm not arguing Brawl's competitiveness in the grand scheme of things, I'm merely pointing it out in relation to the other Smash titles.

It's not like everyone who says Brawl isn't as competitive as 64/Melee is just saying that out of spite; there's legitimate merit behind it. Not everyone wanted Melee 2.0, but at the same time they didn't want an extremely slow, floaty and super casual-friendly Smash experience especially when you consider how accessible the Smash franchise has always been anyway. They overdid it with Brawl IMO and need to bring back that ferocity to Smash in order to capture the entire demographic of Smashers.

I would not mind Smash 4 playing like the 64 version.

Or better yet, give players way more customization options to alter things like 100% speed, 110% speed, 125% gravity, auto ledge grabs, etc. etc.

Look at other games that have pretty good customization settings, why can't Smash do the same? Give the players more power IMO.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Or better yet, give players way more customization options to alter things like 100% speed, 110% speed, 125% gravity, auto ledge grabs, etc. etc.

Look at other games that have pretty good customization settings, why can't Smash do the same?

Holy shit. That would be so awesome if it happened.

SmithnCo

If anything I think that would be a nice feature for stage builder if it returns. Would make creating stages all the more fun.

Yeah, gravity and stuff would be good for stage builder. Also, the ability to have objects rotate and set paths for platforms to follow.

I didn;t see your third message, but lol yeah. That's the one that I heard about. According to devs, they were supposed to shown their games on Nintendo Direct. I guess it might happens or they decided to go ahead to show off their games by themselves.
Hooefully,

And I thought we were using Ridley's believe it or not as the title?

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS |OT3|- Starring Jerry Seinfeld
'Cause its a thread about nothing
(because Sakurai hates us and doesn't tell us anything)

Top Bottom