• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onemic

"you know that stupid meter-wasting combo you would never do in a match because it's completely impractical, not to mention hard to land?"

"well now you can do it in an even MORE improbable situation!"

Capcom always lookin out for us

image.php

Imm0rt4l

I personally think gouken is a solid mid-tier character. Some things I would like to see are: cr.mp into fireball combo, reduce startup of cr.lk by 1 frame, redistribute the damage on cl.st.hk and extend the range of cl.st.mk before it becomes far mk. This guy made a video about the cl.st.mk change. I don't think these changes are too bad. It improves on his close range game but leaves his long range game intact.

I think he's bottom. He doesn't have enough favorable matchups to be mid.

xCobalt

I think he's bottom. He doesn't have enough favorable matchups to be mid.

By definition, you just need a lot of even matchups to be mid tier. I think he does very well against grapplers and shotos. The tough matches are usually against dive kick characters. There are definitely some very tough matches for Gouken but I think they're manageable. Based on my experiences, Gouken players are the least likely to block on wakeup (I'm at fault for this too) which is why I feel so many Gouken players think he's bad. There are countless requests for ex tatsu having a low hitbox because people simply don't like to block.

By definition, you just need a lot of even matchups to be mid tier. I think he does very well against grapplers and shotos. The tough matches are usually against dive kick characters. There are definitely some very tough matches for Gouken but I think they're manageable. Based on my experiences, Gouken players are the least likely to block on wakeup (I'm at fault for this too) which is why I feel so many Gouken players think he's bad. There are countless requests for ex tatsu having a low hitbox because people simply don't like to block.

It's not because Gouken players are impatient on wakeup. It's because they have zero options once they get knocked down.

Imm0rt4l

This is assuming that he goes even most of the time. I don't think there are any tier lists that would have Gouken in the middle. To play Gouken you do have to know how to block (and tech, though this can get you killed), I'll give you that, you don't really have many options. His buttons suck and his only 3frame attack is dependent on spacing.. The character is only terrible by high level standards. No competitive player would bother with Gouken, because all he's good at is punishing, he can't convert damage from lights, he doesn't really have much combo ability.

Wunder

Hello FighterGAF. I used to play a bunch of SSF4AE online and even with US players but stopped because I really only had a couple people to play with and the latency was pretty bad. Are there any SEAGaffers around that are low-intermediate skill level? Would love to get back into this with Ultra coming out.

Also on PC*

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Guys who should I play while I wait for poison to be put in that's not guile.

Edit: I guess sakura is the closest thing to her.

xCobalt

It's not because Gouken players are impatient on wakeup. It's because they have zero options once they get knocked down.

I disagree. Gouken has a decent amount of wakeup options but each one covers a different situation. Sure, some characters just need a dp and 2 bars but I'm personally fine with what Gouken has. I don't think there's ever a situation where gouken has 0 options. You often have to guess but so does the opponent.

This is assuming that he goes even most of the time. I don't think there are any tier lists that would have Gouken in the middle. To play Gouken you do have to know how to block (and tech, though this can get you killed), I'll give you that, you don't really have many options. His buttons suck and his only 3frame attack is dependent on spacing.. The character is only terrible by high level standards. No competitive player would bother with Gouken, because all he's good at is punishing, he can't convert damage from lights, he doesn't really have much combo ability.

His lack of combos definitely hurt but I wouldn't say his buttons suck. Gouken has so many good anti airs. I wouldn't be surprised if he had the most in the game. His far st.hk is great for stuffing attacks and going over lows. His sweep is one of the best in the game too.

If we're going by high level standards, the entire cast is terrible except for the top 10 or so. I think it's difficult to discuss how well an under represented character can perform in high level play if the people talking about it aren't even high caliber players themselves. My thoughts on him being mid tier are based on my experiences.

I'm curious to what some of the top gouken users think of the character. A gouken player even made it to top 32 at evo this past weekend!

cHaotix8

ggs chaotix gb and botox. dat dudley :eek:

GG's for sure man. Try mix up up your up close pressure a bit. Ibuki can bully a lot of the cast Vanilla SFXT-style with walk up jab pressure, so you should utilize it more often.

Thanks for the long set Botox. I was trying to work on my ground game and zoning with Ryu but I still have a lot of trouble anti airing guy, not to mention dealing with him on the ground. I would definitely like to run another marathon set again sometime.
If we're going by high level standards, the entire cast is terrible except for the top 10 or so. I think it's difficult to discuss how well an under represented character can perform in high level play if the people talking about it aren't even high caliber players themselves. My thoughts on him being mid tier are based on my experiences.

For what it's worth, I think the balance in SFIV is so good that any character can compete at the highest level. Some just require a little more work than others.

And then you have your Akumas and Fei Longs that don't really have to do much work at all!

GG's for sure man. Try mix up up your up close pressure a bit. Ibuki can bully a lot of the cast Vanilla SFXT-style with walk up jab pressure, so you should utilize it more often.

Thanks for the long set Botox. I was trying to work on my ground game and zoning with Ryu but I still have a lot of trouble anti airing guy, not to mention dealing with him on the ground. I would definitely like to run another marathon set again sometime.

For what it's worth, I think the balance in SFIV is so good that any character can compete at the highest level. Some just require a little more work than others.

And then you have your Akumas and Fei Longs that don't really have to do much work at all!

Yeah my Ibuki has gotten pretty stale lately.

xCobalt

Definitely! I'm hoping ultra doesn't mess up the balance.

I decided to look at the gouken player who made top 32 (Veloc1raptor) and he did very well. Out of the names I recognized he took out kim1234, Rico suave and surprisingly, Alioune. He also took out a few players from Japan and Singapore but I didn't recognize the name.

A new thread without a wall of shame? Not on my watch, now presenting the OT4 Top 20 wall of shame

sixteen-bit 923
Kadey 865
Professor Beef 704
Rice-Eater 699
USD 629
black_vegeta 581
Imm0rt4l 545
biosnake20 492
Conceited 429
Edgeward 425
Corky 404
Lost Fragment 389
Karsius 389
Timedog 377
Satyamdas 330
the_log_ride 318
Venfayth 297
KidA Seven 296
cackhyena 276
jlai 224

Notes:

-Sixteen-bit at the top? I didn't see that coming, I don't think he even comes around here anymore
-Me at #4, yeah boi. If I had known I was 1 away from 700, I would have posted something
-RIP Saty
-Onemic is now Karsius? WTF, when did this happen?

good stuff man, you have very solid execution. My execution was ass tonight....more than usual :(

GGs to Passive and BV as well.

I'm curious to what some of the top gouken users think of the character. A gouken player even made it to top 32 at evo this past weekend!
The Gouken boards, much like the T.Hawk boards, are a sad, desolate place.

And saying "x character got Top 32 at ____" doesn't mean much unless there is consistency.

BizzyBum

Sup guys, I've been playing SF4 since console release and was pretty dedicated but once AE came out I kinda stopped playing but after EVO I'm on my SF4 kick plus with Ultra announced I'm ready to play a lot again and get better and start going to tournaments again.

Looking to run some sets with anyone or create Endless lobbies to play and chat and go over matchups and strategies. I have the game on 360, PS3, and PC so any platform is cool.

GT for all is BizzyBum

I main Ryu and dabble in Seth, but I am mainly going to play Ryu.

Skilletor

I thought you hated Street Fighter 4.

I still hate lots of things about it, but I'm getting over that. I've been playing it for the past 6 months in prep for EVO. Now I'm actually going to try learning it.

Going to be rough before it gets better, though. Ibuki is hard, especially coming off of playing Cammy. :/ lol

Village

I keep trying guile because his alternate outfit is dope, however I cannot do anything with him. And I keep loosing
( by do I mean be effective not actually do the moves, that part is easy)
-~-

Onemic

I still hate lots of things about it, but I'm getting over that. I've been playing it for the past 6 months in prep for EVO. Now I'm actually going to try learning it.

Going to be rough before it gets better, though. Ibuki is hard, especially coming off of playing Cammy. :/ lol

just learn neckbreaker into vortex. It's all you need. :p

Imm0rt4l

FYI ibuki is likely going to play different in ultra. Mitigating her vortex game. On the other hand Cammy is getting her tk cannon strike back.

Onemic

The tradeoff is less damage and stun on fierce attacks.

Still not thrilled about it, though.

That will only make her have to do what? like one more combo to kill/stun? with that tk change, top level play cammy will pretty much be the same and lower level play will be even more broken since lower level cammy's don't really as much on fierce attack combos.

The tradeoff is less damage and stun on fierce attacks.

Still not thrilled about it, though.

It's basically a better version of Super Cammy. That version of Cammy couldn't link into her medium or hard attacks with jabs, Ultra Cammy can. Even if nerfed, her damage and stun will be superior to Super Cammy while getting TKCS back.

Ultimately it depends on what other characters get. I wouldn't be too upset if weaker characters got buffed enough to compete with her. I'm all for a game with strong characters instead of a bunch of weaklings.

xCobalt

FYI ibuki is likely going to play different in ultra. Mitigating her vortex game. On the other hand Cammy is getting her tk cannon strike back.

The patch notes only said it can be done lower to the ground I think. I really doubt she's getting vanilla tkcs back. I wouldn't be surprised if they're bringing over cammy's sfxt cannon strike.

cHaotix8

She's going to be even dumber than she is now, unless they've nerfed frame advantage on dive kicks. Her pressure is going to be relentless. Imagine Rufus with a fast walk speed, good low range normals, DP and focus crush.

Damage has never been the issue with her since even her max damage punish combos barely cracked 300. But now they've given her the tools to pretty much stay in for as long as she wants, PLUS blow up lows on the ground without spending meter. There has to be other changes as well for the character, because the way she is now is potentially too strong.

Skilletor

The patch notes only said it can be done lower to the ground I think. I really doubt she's getting vanilla tkcs back. I wouldn't be surprised if they're bringing over cammy's sfxt cannon strike.

I'm guessing it'll be similar.

But really, I just enjoy the way Ibuki plays more than Cammy. They're both my style, but Ibuki is much more mixup/setup oriented. Cammy if far more straight forward. I'll play them both, but I want to focus more on Ibuki.

I never learned vortex or unblockables, so hopefully that stuff is taken out or made a lot weaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom