• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
All I use are Xbox sticks on PC. My custom stick is an Xbox one.

Anybody around? I can put up lobbies.

Trickster

Can someone explain to me what I'm supposed to do agains't someone timing an attack to hit just as I stand up after a knockdown? The computer seems to have no problem to get a hit in on me during a combo after they stand up after a knockdown. But I can't seem to do anything to prevent being immediately grapped, energy blasted or worse after getting back up

Edgeward

Block. If you think they are going for a throw then you can crouch tech, meaning you can hit lk+lp while still holding down back to block.

Of course if you have a character with a dragon punch like move you can always mash that dp or any move with invincible start up frames

Trickster

Block. If you think they are going for a throw then you can crouch tech, meaning you can hit lk+lp while still holding down back to block.

You gotta explain to me what lk and lp means, I'm like the biggest noob atm, only bought it yesterday, and haven't paid any attention to fighting games in many years :p

Onemic

got damn Threi, I got wrecked a new one, ggs. That double P ;_;

And sorry for all the jumping,(same goes to everyone in Kadey's lobby) I'm trying to work on my AA so I was trying to do anything to make you jump at me. Deejays jumps are so damn fast though, most of the time I didn't even realize you jumped until way after you landed. The one time I did I couldn't even get the EX hayate to connect. ;_;

Any advice you could give? I want those AA reactions you have. I need a training session with jlai.

What exactly makes Deejay a bad character? I know you're on a complete other level compared to me, but he seems to have everything he needs to do reasonably well. Multiple AA options/tricks(that fireball into slide always gets me) amazing pressure, decent zoning. Only thing I could think of is lack of a good reversal. I mean, I've never beaten a Deejay player in my life(Seriosuly, in ranked or in endless). But maybe that just points to how shitty of a player I am :p

Trickster

LK+LP= light kick and light punch.

Thanks.

A different question, is Juri a character that's decent/good? I'm going through arcade with different characters to find one I like. And so far she's my favourite by far. But I don't really want to start investing time into learning a character that turns out to be useless.

Pachimari

I'm a "noob" playing on. PS3. Somebody help me out. I suck at this. I have been used to Tekken for more than a decade and still play it but I'm having a hard time with 2D fighters. Should I be patient? Aggressive? It doesn't seem like a defensive game. Who are the easier characters to start out with? I'm thinking Juri or Makoto, maybe Viper?

Onemic

I'm a "noob" playing on. PS3. Somebody help me out. I suck at this. I have been used to Tekken for more than a decade and still play it but I'm having a hard time with 2D fighters. Should I be patient? Aggressive? It doesn't seem like a defensive game. Who are the easier characters to start out with? I'm thinking Juri or Makoto, maybe Viper?

add me

PSN: onem1c

And those characters are all very unconventional for beginners. If you like them though go for it. Generally the shoto's are the easiest ones to get to grips with.(Ryu, Ken, Akuma, E.Ryu)

if you do want to stick with one of those characters it really depends on your style of play. All three like karsius said are not really beginner characters. Juri is mainly defensive but has the ability to go on the offensive. Makoto and Viper are mix up monsters but take serious skill to be good with them.

I would definitely agree with karsius that one of the shotos is probably especially ryu in the beginning since it's pretty easy to learn all the basics with him.

I don't know if this is posted on the op, but I used this when I started http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL744144A71C67D816

Its a tutorial series by vesper arcade that will guide you through the basics of street fighter. The channel also has the trials for reach character so you can see how they are done on stick and I believe pad

Damn Lyte Edge. Whoever you picked booted me. Someone invite.
ARe you guys playing on PSN or XBL...

I'm willing to spar with you as well, PSN: Dominus_what ..

Trickster

I finally managed to figure out how to use the easiest executable ex moves. Now I would be thankful if someone can explain when and why I should use them, rather than save up for my super move :)

Cody has poor wakeup, so that would probably frustrate new players. Every time I tried him I go through the same process of "he has some good combos, damage, and anti-air normals, should play Cody more," and then promptly forget what I'm doing as soon as I get knocked over or start spamming c.mk slide.

And using EX moves or saving up for super depends on the character, matchup, and situation, though generally EX moves are so useful that they outshine supers.

Onemic

I finally managed to figure out how to use the easiest executable ex moves. Now I would be thankful if someone can explain when and why I should use them, rather than save up for my super move :)

Some supers aren't that good and depending on the situation it just makes more sense to spend your meter on EX rather than save it up for a super. One basic situation example out of many: If your opponent is low on health and you want the next combo to kill, would you save up for super and would you spend EX to do more damage or extend your combo to kill?

Also once you learn about FADC's meter management becomes even more important because not only can you spend your meter on EX moves, but you can make certain moves that are very unsafe on block(ie Ryu's fierce SRK) and make them safe. You can also use FADC's to link certain moves into ultra, continue applying pressue, or extend a combo.

Landing your Ultra is easier and less time-consuming than getting a Super.

Supers are technically easier to hit with since they can be cancelled into, but they'll almost never charge in one round, whereas Ultra is basically guaranteed each round, and can usually be hit with an FADC. Plus the insurance of being able to cancel a blocked special move is really important.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
GGs, guys! Was that Threi using Dee Jay?

Ana, add me too! PSN is lyteedge2. Ultimately you should just use who you like, but with that said I don't know if Juri and Makoto would be the best starting choices. Certainly not the latter.

Threi

notag
GGs, guys! Was that Threi using Dee Jay?

Ana, add me too! PSN is lyteedge2. Ultimately you should just use who you like, but with that said I don't know if Juri and Makoto would be the best starting choices. Certainly not the latter.
Yeah it was me. Its a tough life with that char if you get pressured. If you dont play perfectly you get blown up HARD.

Bizazedo

GGs guys. Have to jet, buddy needs me to show his out of town buddy something in Marvel.

Assume that DeeJay was Threi, if so, you're still an awesome Deejay :).

TCKaos

XBL: TCKaos

I'm bad enough to still fuck up my execution of ultras and supers on shotos, if anyone wants to play.

Trickster

Not sure if these ones have the newer hardware board that makes it work fully on PC. I know the newer VS and Pro ones work fine on PC and PS3. I use my VS on my pc and it works great.

Yeah I did a bit more digging about that specific fightstick, and apparently the ps3 version can have some issues the require you to buy some kinda chipset thingy. So I kinda moved away from it.

What about this one? Seems to be a pretty well known and good fightstick. Just want to make sure that it's actually one that works on pc, since that's where I'm playing SF4 :p

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006EJ38X2/

Onemic

ggs BV

Couldn't stay longer. There's only so much losing a man can take in a day without learning anything, except that he sucks.

Threi

notag
got damn Threi, I got wrecked a new one, ggs. That double P ;_;

And sorry for all the jumping,(same goes to everyone in Kadey's lobby) I'm trying to work on my AA so I was trying to do anything to make you jump at me. Deejays jumps are so damn fast though, most of the time I didn't even realize you jumped until way after you landed. The one time I did I couldn't even get the EX hayate to connect. ;_;

Any advice you could give? I want those AA reactions you have. I need a training session with jlai.

What exactly makes Deejay a bad character? I know you're on a complete other level compared to me, but he seems to have everything he needs to do reasonably well. Multiple AA options/tricks(that fireball into slide always gets me) amazing pressure, decent zoning. Only thing I could think of is lack of a good reversal. I mean, I've never beaten a Deejay player in my life(Seriosuly, in ranked or in endless). But maybe that just points to how shitty of a player I am :p
Well the thing is the more time you spend in the air is the less time you have playing makoto's awesome ground game. From my point of view if you are neutral jumping a lot that makes things a LOT easier for me, i can throw out a jab fireball and set up a simple trap. Whereas if you are on the ground threatening with stand and low strong buffered into ex hayate its a LOT scarier.

As for why DJ is a bad character...it all boils down to character knowledge. At face value he does seem fine but if you pressure him extensively and know where the holes are you will see that he is actually pretty bad. People tend to treat him like Guile, and as such give him a LOT more leeway than he deserves, which in turn gives the DJ player a much easier time.

But the short answer is:
1. His damage output is low. Deejay has to rely on his jabs a LOT (since all his other buttons are very situational and pretty slow),
2. His zoning isn't as effective as it seems. People seem to overlook this, but the reason guile's fireball and antiair options are so good is to make up for the fact that its a charge fireball. They are telegraphed very blantantly, moreso than motion fireballs (Even the best guile players have fireball patterns) When you play enough you will start to get a rough idea of when charge characters are vulnerable, when you do, you will really start to notice the pattern. This is where the real difference comes in, Guile can still stop you pretty effectively, while DeeJay cannot. His antiair options require a lot more precision (and for a lot of chars are simply too risky to attempt) and have less of a payoff (very little damage, stun, and hitstun - it doesn't discourage people from trying it again)

This is just for antiairs and zoning though, this is not taking into account that deejay is NOT as threatening on the ground as Guile or a lot of other characters are. His slow, low damaging normals and specials mean that you really can just walk up on him, but people are afraid to thinking they will get hit with something big. It doesnt happen. There are not guile fierces, gouken sweeps, or sim snipers to rack up damage and stun.

The weakness everyone knows about is of course the bad wake-up game. But people dont tend to realize how crippled it is. At first glance it actually seems pretty reasonable. An anti jumpin and anti-meaty (we will get to this) in EX upkicks, and an anti-throw in ex sobat, and of course the best option: blocking. People try to crossup deejay, get upkicked, and proclaim his wake-up options fine. I remember earlier in this thread regarding gouken's wakeup options, it was said that there is never a situation when he doesn't have a right way to escape/reversal.

...DeeJay however, is completely free to low meaties. As in ALL his reversal options will either whiff or get stuffed completely. As in there is NO right answer (his backdash is horrible btw). It would be fine to just block, if not for the fact that against most characters he will still be susceptible to counterhits due to his slow close, mid, and far-range buttons. It is free pressure. Meaty makoto's low forward on deejay and see what happens.

His pressure has holes in it. He is actually pretty negative on most of his specials and normals on block (exception being his fireball, which is even on block). His sobats are all very punishable, its tricky when spaced right but they are all at least -5. Pretty much the only thing that is a legit blockstring from deejay is Jab > Jab. Anything else you see is the DJ player risking counterhits because of a read that the player is passive and won't throw it out. Im actually surprised you didn't pick up on it, but Makoto's stand strong was stuffing pretty much everything DeeJay put out in a neutral position.

All of the weaknesses he has (and these are just general ones, if i went into detail on all the little issues he has it would take forever) are all fine and dandy on their own, and are perfectly reasonable if you want to give a character weaknesses to balance out their strengths. But thats the problem, Capcom didn't really give deejay any real strengths to balance out his weaknesses. He is a Jack of all Trades, master of none. He does a lot of things but does them all mediocre. What seems to have happened is Capcom has forgot that he is a charge character, and that you need certain things to balance out that weakness, which he hasn't received.

*edit* gg beevee my net was crapping out there at the end :(
the rog matchup is too damn stressful. its like playing a damn twitch shooter with 1hp D:

Onemic

Thanks for the explanation Threi. I gotta say though, watching your Deejay in action makes me wanna dabble with him a bit. :p

My problem with Makoto's ground game is against anyone with a projectile because I get scared shitless at using Mak's ground dash to try and close space. This was most obvious against my few matches with BV. If I dash I get hit by a projectile, if I jump forward I get hit by a reversal. Only thing I really think I can do is focus dash and use her toward mp to close in a little bit of space. Of course once someone gets in on me, I go into oh shit mode because Mak almost has nothing to escape pressure with except EX oroshi, which gets beaten by a whole lot of shit. It's even worse because stuff like this is half the reason why I lose most of my matches im in whether and I have no idea how to get better at it. It's not something I can really practice in training mode either.

xCobalt

Thanks for the explanation Threi. I gotta say though, watching your Deejay in action makes me wanna dabble with him a bit. :p

My problem with Makoto's ground game is against anyone with a projectile because I get scared shitless at using Mak's ground dash to try and close space. This was most obvious against my few matches with BV. If I dash I get hit by a projectile, if I jump forward I get hit by a reversal. Only thing I really think I can do is focus dash and use her toward mp to close in a little bit of space. Of course once someone gets in on me, I go into oh shit mode because Mak almost has nothing to escape pressure with except EX oroshi, which gets beaten by a whole lot of shit. It's even worse because stuff like this is half the reason why I lose most of my matches im in whether and I have no idea how to get better at it. It's not something I can really practice in training mode either.

Do you ever backdash or focus backdash to avoid pressure? Focus backdash can get you out of many situations, even on wakeup.

Improving on how you play while getting pressured can definitely be tough. For me, I kind of just smartened up after consistently getting blown up. Playing against certain characters will force you to play safer and smarter. Characters like Cammy and Cody will force you to not press too many buttons.

Trickster

Is the net code in the pc version just total dogshit or something? It's pretty much unplayable for me so far. getting constant framedips that fuck up everything for. And I'm getting like a solid 100+ fps normally when playing the computer...

Trickster

Just online or in general?

You may need to disable in game v sync if the later.

Edit - I think I managed to fix it somehow. Got my region changed to the correct one, and turned off v-sync. Dunno which one is the culprit, but it seems to work now.

If only there was an easy fix for getting my ass completely destroyed 10 matches in a row..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom