• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zocano

Hi StreetFighterGAF, I know you guys might be getting this a lot with EVO last weekend, but I've been wanting to get back into a fighting game cause watching EVO made me really interested since it's been a long time (played a bit of Tekken 2 and a ton of SSBMelee, and a bit of MK9 with friends). So I have a few questions before I just grab a copy and jump in.

Namely, which version of SSF4AE should I get? (360 or PS3). I'm not sure how heavily reliant the game is for an analog stick vs. the d-pad but I'm not very eager to play a fighter on the 360 controller and I'm not sure how much a decent fightstick is. Also asking which system I should get it on for the community and to see which one is more active. I know TTT2 is pretty much only on the PS3 (iirc) and I was wondering if SF4 is the same.

Thanks for the replies and I'll probably pick up this and TTT2 at the same time because I'm a mad man and I've been wanting to play TTT2 for the longest time. I got mega hyped for it when it was releasing but didn't end up buying it.

Edgeward

Both communities are active, shouldn't have trouble finding people to play on either console. A good stick will run you around 100. An okay stick will be closer to 50

FSLink

Banned
Could I be added to the list?
XBL/GFWL: FSLink, PSN: amodestproposal

Just started getting back into this. Currently main Cody.

Devined

Work one ten hour shift, lose power for the night, and miss 3 pages of thread. Damn. Any who, lobbys after work today, around 4-5pm. Can add me on steam, same name as forum. Or add me on GFWL as "Devined killer" if you don't want to join the group chat.

Venfayth

If anyone wants to play for an hour or so on XBL, send me an invite, Lighthouse0

Will be on later as well, I'll post again~

Pachimari

Guys, I'm gonna send you a friend request now to the following:

- direct_quote (forgot to write I'm from GAF)
- Karsius
- Kadey (It says you have reached the maximum of friends, so can't add you)
- Lyte Edge

My PSN is the same as my GAF name.

I guess I'm just gonna start out with Ryu.

if you do want to stick with one of those characters it really depends on your style of play. All three like karsius said are not really beginner characters. Juri is mainly defensive but has the ability to go on the offensive. Makoto and Viper are mix up monsters but take serious skill to be good with them.

I would definitely agree with karsius that one of the shotos is probably especially ryu in the beginning since it's pretty easy to learn all the basics with him.

I don't know if this is posted on the op, but I used this when I started http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL744144A71C67D816

Its a tutorial series by vesper arcade that will guide you through the basics of street fighter. The channel also has the trials for reach character so you can see how they are done on stick and I believe pad
I'm gonna take a look at that video in the meantime.

Masamuna

Rebought AE after a year+ hiatus because Haitani. PSN is Masamuna!

Got a stick question though. I was playing casuals the other night and every once in a while I would go for a focus attack...but nothing would happen. The dropped input seemed to happen around 3 times that night. Had no problems with any other buttons.

Would this be a wiring/quick disconnect problem or do I probably just need new buttons?

Pachimari

Are there any text articles describing the very basics?

Like light, medium, heavy and heavy punch+kick attacks? Is that how it's set up? I'm watching the tutorials now.

And I take it Ibuki is on of the harder characters for a player who's not good at the game.

Bizazedo

Good run down on DeeJay, Threi. As a Bison player, though, I still hate playing him. I know you said not to play against him as Guile, but it still feels like that to me sometimes (due to BISON's weaknesses, mainly).

That and I played Viscant what must've been a few years ago and he scarred me pretty good.

Culinary

Work one ten hour shift, lose power for the night, and miss 3 pages of thread. Damn. Any who, lobbys after work today, around 4-5pm. Can add me on steam, same name as forum. Or add me on GFWL as "Devined killer" if you don't want to join the group chat.

Devined, I should be on this evening.

Looking forward to new take on matches as I migrate Zangief into my secondary character behind Ibuki, maybe even run parallel mains. All that playing HF at work on my breaks and lunches finally made me take the plunge in AE.

Threi

notag
Good run down on DeeJay, Threi. As a Bison player, though, I still hate playing him. I know you said not to play against him as Guile, but it still feels like that to me sometimes (due to BISON's weaknesses, mainly).

That and I played Viscant what must've been a few years ago and he scarred me pretty good.
Really? I feel that Bison can lock down DJ very effectively. The risk/reward is heavily in bison's favor too, not to mention how easy it is to whiff punish deejay. One knockdown or mistake and its usually round over for him. Its also easier for bison to get in, dj cant really deal with focus dash in stand rh/stand forward/low forward/low short like guile can.

Bizazedo

Really? I feel that Bison can lock down DJ very effectively. The risk/reward is heavily in bison's favor too, not to mention how easy it is to whiff punish deejay. One knockdown or mistake and its usually round over for him. Its also easier for bison to get in, dj cant really deal with focus dash in stand rh/stand forward/low forward/low short like guile can.

It all depends on the spacing. I agree with you, once I got the initiative and controlled the spacing and could react and punish, Bison can get a head of steam and go nuts on poor DJ.

But, and what Viscant brutally taught me, is that if I'm at extreme range or if Deejay has the initiative and closes in with the jump-ins, jabs you already referenced, and slides to beat the scissors (again, range dependant), then I am in trouble and have to reset the situation essentially.

That and due to my handicapped hands, I am horrible at doing focus dash ins haha.....
It's not as bad as fighting Guile for Bison, not nearly so, but it can be a pain in the ass.

Any word on if the prettiest girl in street fighter has the old dive kick height restriction back, or if it's just lower?

Don't care that stun and damage are reduced, see Akuma from game to game.Besides she's always been about fun to me, not being tops (though it was fun to be terrible and still win, haha).

Any word on if the prettiest girl in street fighter has the old dive kick height restriction back, or if it's just lower?

Don't care that stun and damage are reduced, see Akuma from game to game.Besides she's always been about fun to me, not being tops (though it was fun to be terrible and still win, haha).

Not sure about jumping dive kicks, but Champ on his stream said TKCS is back, but it's -5 on block so it's pretty risky to throw out. Even I think that's a bit much, -3 is good enough IMO since she's right in your face. But I guess they want you to feel the pain for it being blocked as much as you would bring it if it hit.

Onemic

Do you ever backdash or focus backdash to avoid pressure? Focus backdash can get you out of many situations, even on wakeup.

Improving on how you play while getting pressured can definitely be tough. For me, I kind of just smartened up after consistently getting blown up. Playing against certain characters will force you to play safer and smarter. Characters like Cammy and Cody will force you to not press too many buttons.

I usually only focus backdash projectiles...Ya I never really do focus backdash in the game, I guess mainly because I don't really know when to. As for focus backdashing on wakeup, I've literally never done it. What beats a focus backdash on wakeup and what are the pros/cons of focus backdash on wakeup/neutral compared to regular backdashing?

Not sure about jumping dive kicks, but Champ on his stream said TKCS is back, but it's -5 on block so it's pretty risky to throw out. Even I think that's a bit much, -3 is good enough IMO since she's right in your face. But I guess they want you to feel the pain for it being blocked as much as you would bring it if it hit.

Interesting... Well, will definitely give it some burn when it drops and see how it fits. It sounds like enough fun at least.

xCobalt

I usually only focus backdash projectiles...Ya I never really do focus backdash in the game, I guess mainly because I don't really know when to. As for focus backdashing on wakeup, I've literally never done it. What beats a focus backdash on wakeup and what are the pros/cons of focus backdash on wakeup/neutral compared to regular backdashing?

Focus backdashing beats option selects. An option select will only work if the first move is whiffed but if you focus it, it registers as a hit. With a good dash, it'll also allow you to avoid ambiguous jump ins or even unblockables. The downside compared to only backdashing is the initial startup which will give your opponent more time to react.

Here's a short vid demonstrating it. Ibuki's unblockable whiffs when makoto dashes.

LakeEarth

The thread title made me think, what characters have the super into ultra option? Title is obviously inspired by Gen, but there is also Rose, Dan, Guile, Makoto, Deejay (is that only next patch?).... Dan's is a hilarious waste of bar though. Dhalsim can do it the other way around, ultra into super.

Threi

notag
The thread title made me think, what characters have the super into ultra option? Title is obviously inspired by Gen, but there is also Rose, Dan, Guile, Makoto, Deejay (is that only next patch?).... Dan's is a hilarious waste of bar though. Dhalsim can do it the other way around, ultra into super.

Super into Ultra was DeeJay's groundbreaking, gamechanging AE2012 buff.

IIRC both Ken and Ryu can super into ultra.

*edit* Sagat too

No mention of Ryu? He's the original Super into Ultra character in SF4. Mash DP with accidental Super follow up, oh you have Ultra, might as well burn it to even though it does almost no extra damage. Ken also has super into Ultra, it only works in the corner though and does a shit ton of damage. I think it's almost on par with Gen's, just too situational though.

EDIT: Damn it Threi

Are there any text articles describing the very basics?

Like light, medium, heavy and heavy punch+kick attacks? Is that how it's set up? I'm watching the tutorials now.

And I take it Ibuki is on of the harder characters for a player who's not good at the game.

you might want to check out http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Super_Street_Fighter_IV_AE for text and yea ibuki is an advanced character to play. Chapter 4 in the tutorial series covers the basic movements and buttons

Onemic

Focus backdashing beats option selects. An option select will only work if the first move is whiffed but if you focus it, it registers as a hit. With a good dash, it'll also allow you to avoid ambiguous jump ins or even unblockables. The downside compared to only backdashing is the initial startup which will give your opponent more time to react.

Here's a short vid demonstrating it. Ibuki's unblockable whiffs when makoto dashes.

I'll try incorporating it. Ambiguous jumpins always get me. Even worse, because my reactions suck and even though Mak's srk should beat all non safe jumps clean I never react in time. I don't know how you guys got these godlike reactions.

I get plenty of vs RYU practice when I play. Majority of the online players use RYU. It helps my E Honda out on what strategies to use.

xCobalt

Playing again on XBL.

Lighthouse0

Play me!

Just added you. Hit me up whenever!

I'll try incorporating it. Ambiguous jumpins always get me. Even worse, because my reactions suck and even though Mak's srk should beat all non safe jumps clean I never react in time. I don't know how you guys got these godlike reactions.

If the opponent is doing a same side safe jump, you can wake up ex command grab it. You can also do auto correct command grab if the opponent crosses up but sometimes the grab will whiff because the opponent is still airborne

Kalamari

Hey guys, I am kinda new here so I thought I should throw out a little introduction. I started playing SF4 last year after not playing since SF2 days on my SNES. I am still pretty Scrubby McScrubberson and I would like to improve my play.

I have been playing Ryu mostly, but I have started to look for a new main since I have read that people grow tired of playing against him all the time. So, I have decided to switch to Yun for a while to see how I like him. Thus far, I have only played him in training mode practicing his basic bnb and target combos.

Anyway, I'm on the west coast, my gt for XBL is Kalamari, I am looking forward to playing with you gents (and ladies). Add me!

Trickster

Is there like a difficulty bug or something in the pc version of the game? Because I'm just playing arcade mode on medium, and 95% of the matches are not a problem at all anymore. And then all of a sudden it's like the computer goes crazy and changes difficulty to very hard or some shit like that. All of a sudden it's constant aggression, constant use of ex attacks and ultras, combined with a whole ton of blocking and use of super narrow opening to always cancel throws and whatnot.

When I then finally get that opponent down. Usually the rest of the matches for that arcade run through go back to being normal medium type opponent.

And it's worth noting that when they go crazy like I mention, Seth seems pretty fucking easy by comparrison.

Trickster

Btw, I keep getting demolished when I try online, even by D and C opponent. I kinda assume this is because the game is close to what, 5 years old by now? And the only people still playing online are pretty dedicated fighting game fans?

Btw, I keep getting demolished when I try online, even by D and C opponent. I kinda assume this is because the game is close to what, 5 years old by now? And the only people still playing online are pretty dedicated fighting game fans?

its a mix. plenty of newbies picked it up due to EVO, so you shouldn't have any trouble coming across a match more on your current skillset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom