• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a character who has fun and simple links to do, like Cody (though he has terrible wakeup options so maybe don't actually play him online).

Also I hate losing to online randomness. Yun player who doesn't drop any of his combos? Really close game. Ibuki player who uses fullscreen slides and spams sweep target combo? Almost get perfected.

xCobalt

SF4 Gaf help me.

How do I play SF4? I can't link normals worth for shit so I basically can't even combo >_>
Surprisingly enough though, I can Shoryu FADC into Ryu's Ultra 1 <_<

Not all normals can link into one another. Go into training mode and set the dummy to auto block. Try doing two crouching medium punches in a row. If the second mp doesn't come out, you did it too fast. If the dummy blocks it, you did it too slow. Find the right timing and keep practicing. If it's too hard, try doing crouching light punch for the second hit rather than medium punch. Once you're comfortable with the link, you can move on to canceling into a special attack.

Also, check out this page if you're not sure about the differences between chains, cancels and links.

this may seem really weird but yangs most common bnb (cr lp cr lp st lp cr mk rekkas)
i was able to do very easily since it's just a normal bnb but suddenly stopped being able to do it and now my mk turns into a teleport or my rekkas don't come out, i'm looking at the inputs and everything seems ok has anyone ever had a mental issue like this? (guessing the timing is fucked in my head but i just can't fix it)

I slip into this occasionally too. Teleport shares the same motion as rekkas, and my arcade stick's buttons are really sensitive. I think my palm is lightly activating a kick while I'm trying to rekka, and since kicks override punches when pressed simultaneously, teleport comes out. Watch to see if you're accidentally hitting kicks with your palm. About the rekkas not coming out at all: I notice that Yang's rekkas don't come out with sloppy quarter circles. A sloppy quarter circle works for like every other move in the game, but for some reason SFIV becomes more strict when it's rekkas (this is probably just in my head, but it seems that way). I find it comes out more when I focus on good form on my quarter circles. No extra directional inputs: no down-back before beginning the motion, or up forward at the end of the motion, for example. When I do cleaner directional inputs, Yang's rekkas come out properly.

I don't have profound, non-obvious advice, sorry. Hope it helps snap you out of it, somehow :).

Edit: stn has real advice, just ignore me.

I've found some pretty cool stuff with Evil Ryu in the USF4 PC mod that KBT released a while back. I didn't want to post any videos of it because I don't know if it'll even work in the real USF4, but if it does it could be pretty cheap. Just to give you a idea, one of them involves Evil Ryu practically teleporting to the other side of his opponent when it looks like he should be in front of them. I'm crossing my fingers that this one made it through into the real thing.

HarrisonSBA

Neo Member
Not all normals can link into one another. Go into training mode and set the dummy to auto block. Try doing two crouching medium punches in a row. If the second mp doesn't come out, you did it too fast. If the dummy blocks it, you did it too slow. Find the right timing and keep practicing. If it's too hard, try doing crouching light punch for the second hit rather than medium punch. Once you're comfortable with the link, you can move on to canceling into a special attack.

Also, check out this page if you're not sure about the differences between chains, cancels and links.

You can always do the challenges if you aren't playing one of the newer characters. Otherwise you are going to need to do some frame data research.

Trickster

So after losing interest in fighting games for a decent number of months, I'm now back at sucking it up online with Ryu.

And since I kinda want to get better, I'm wondering if I should just stick with just playing alot, and focus on trying to gain experience versus the various characters, while not focusing so much on using BnB combo's in matches. Or if it would be more effective to also focuse on using BnB combo's at the same time?

Since USF4 is coming out in a little over 2 weeks, I resubscribed to Xbox Live(already have PS Plus) so I'll be good to go on both systems when the game is finally out. I've been exclusively on PC for over a year now so if you don't have my GT it's

Live: RiceEater483
PSN: Rice_Eater483

Another thing, I don't know if you guys remember but sometime around the end of last year(or whenever) I talked about throwing a tournament(using AE 2012) shortly before the release of USF4 with the prize being a free copy of USF4(only the digital upgrade). Since we know it's coming out in a little over 2 weeks I figure it's time to start talking about that.

When SFxT came out, I threw a random tourney on both systems. We had fun with it but some people didn't like it since it wasn't a test of skill. So about that, do you guys want to do another random tourney or play for real? Double elim or round robin? The only requirement I have is to keep it as a one day tourney so people can show up, play, and finish it without having to worry if they're available the next day or the next week. Since we don't have much time, this has to be done either next weekend or the one after that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. If I'm not getting anything, then I'll just do whatever I feel like and as long as enough people sign up then we're good to go.

So after losing interest in fighting games for a decent number of months, I'm now back at sucking it up online with Ryu.

And since I kinda want to get better, I'm wondering if I should just stick with just playing alot, and focus on trying to gain experience versus the various characters, while not focusing so much on using BnB combo's in matches. Or if it would be more effective to also focuse on using BnB combo's at the same time?

Focus on learning how to block and punish all of the new shit you'll see.

stn

Can anyone with Combofiend on Twitter please ask him if Capcom plans on making those 5 Udon costumes DLC for people who only get the digital upgrade? Many thanks!

vg260

Can anyone with Combofiend on Twitter please ask him if Capcom plans on making those 5 Udon costumes DLC for people who only get the digital upgrade? Many thanks!

They surely would be available to purchase if they don't come with the upgrade pre-order.

Trickster

Cammy or Gen didn't harass you?

Mmm, hard to say, at my level most of the matchups are ryu vs ryu/akuma/ken/gouken/evil ryu . I rarely play agains't other classes. And normally whenever I go up agains't a Gen or a more exotic character, they just outskill me by so much that me blocking won't matter :p

Only character I play agains't regularly that can be annoying is Oni with that movie where he slides through me and hits me in the back.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Once again, and until the OT is done. Anybody playing Ultra PM me your gamertags and what systems you plan on playing it on.

1:30am and I've been playing for something stupid like seven hours straight at AE2012, and I just don't feel like I'm improving at this game. FSP condened to shit-tier forever. :( I just cannot get Rufus to work effectively for me.

alstein

1:30am and I've been playing for something stupid like seven hours straight at AE2012, and I just don't feel like I'm improving at this game. FSP condened to shit-tier forever. :( I just cannot get Rufus to work effectively for me.

From what I've seen you're trying to play too honest/perfect.

From what I've seen you're trying to play too honest/perfect.

I just get mindfucked. If someone plays in a weird way I cannot cope. And it makes me feel like crap to lose to people who are basically making fun of me. And I play really dishonestly too, always divekicking and churning Messiah rather than figuring the opponent out and spacing my attacks correctly.

It is frustrating. And now I feel bad for ranting about my own failures. :|

alstein

I just get mindfucked. If someone plays in a weird way I cannot cope. And it makes me feel like crap to lose to people who are basically making fun of me. And I play really dishonestly too, always divekicking and churning Messiah rather than figuring the opponent out and spacing my attacks correctly.

Well, when I get like that, I usually assume they're going to do something unsafe at some point, so I try to just turtle.

That might be a lot harder with Rufus since well, he's not a turtling character.

Only real issue I seem to have when blocking is knowing when a throw is coming

that too. jab jab, wait for a frame trap/throw or more pressure. the mixup game is real!

what's weird? they're doing it since you're probably flowchart as hell and want you to change it up. nothing sucks more than starting out the round out the same way for 10 games straight. i'm slowly ... slowly learning how to change out of that phase.

what's weird? they're doing it since you're probably flowchart as hell and want you to change it up. nothing sucks more than starting out the round out the same way for 10 games straight. i'm slowly ... slowly learning how to change out of that phase.

I think that's the case TBH. Plus I don't have solid reaction speeds. :\

Since USF4 is coming out in a little over 2 weeks, I resubscribed to Xbox Live(already have PS Plus) so I'll be good to go on both systems when the game is finally out. I've been exclusively on PC for over a year now so if you don't have my GT it's

Live: RiceEater483
PSN: Rice_Eater483

Another thing, I don't know if you guys remember but sometime around the end of last year(or whenever) I talked about throwing a tournament(using AE 2012) shortly before the release of USF4 with the prize being a free copy of USF4(only the digital upgrade). Since we know it's coming out in a little over 2 weeks I figure it's time to start talking about that.

When SFxT came out, I threw a random tourney on both systems. We had fun with it but some people didn't like it since it wasn't a test of skill. So about that, do you guys want to do another random tourney or play for real? Double elim or round robin? The only requirement I have is to keep it as a one day tourney so people can show up, play, and finish it without having to worry if they're available the next day or the next week. Since we don't have much time, this has to be done either next weekend or the one after that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. If I'm not getting anything, then I'll just do whatever I feel like and as long as enough people sign up then we're good to go.
I vote nonrandom tournament :p

I vote nonrandom tournament :p

About fucking time someone responded to my post lol. One other thing, this will be on both PS3 and 360. I'd love it if someone can stream, but if not then so be it. But yeah, if you want to participate, please say so and what kind of tournament you'd prefer to participate in.

Trickster

Hnnng, just beat a 3k pp akuma who i felt like legit tried to fight me the entire time. At the end it was 1-1, with both of us at like sub 10% hp. Basically whoever was gonna hit the other one first would pretty much win. We both jump, and my jump is the one that connects.

My heart was fucking racing like crazy lol. I'm generally between 600-1000 pp btw :p

Also had some 2.5k+ pp players in the last few fights before this one that I was able to fight just a little bit, with a few rounds having them go pretty low on hp. Crazy how the flow of the game can change when I'm not chugging fireballs at awful ranges, and jumping in like a moron all the time (still do both on instinct all the time though :p ).

Also, can someone tell me if it's considered bad manner to search for higher skilled opponents. When It most likely means I will fight players vastly better than me? Don't want to be the scrub that join and bore/annoy the better players. But I also want to play good players since I imagine I will improve quicker by doing that.

xCobalt

Also, can someone tell me if it's considered bad manner to search for higher skilled opponents. When It most likely means I will fight players vastly better than me? Don't want to be the scrub that join and bore/annoy the better players. But I also want to play good players since I imagine I will improve quicker by doing that.

It's definitely better to play against higher skilled opponents. You'll probably improve quicker but make sure you understand why you're losing. I'm sure most people won't mind playing someone who is below their skill level.

I think that's the case TBH. Plus I don't have solid reaction speeds. :\

hum. best thing i guess is to watch your old match vids and see what you're doing that's flowchart. for me, it's i focus dash everything and walk up throw all the time, and mash tech. i watched a couple of old vids and me getting bodied at ncr and im ... slowly stopping that. finally getting wins against the old heads in my local scene, but that's probably cause ibuki is stupid as hell lol.

GG Jlai, PS I hate you for being better at me with random select than I am with my main.

Too bad that Ultra mod is buggy as hell. I was having fun with USF4 Evil Ryu. Love that target combo and RFC. I don't need reactions to do big damage. I just have to risk throwing out a move that's -7 on block lol.

jlai

GG Jlai, PS I hate you for being better at me with random select than I am with my main.

Too bad that Ultra mod is buggy as hell. I was having fun with USF4 Evil Ryu. Love that target combo and RFC. I don't need reactions to do big damage. I just have to risk throwing out a move that's -7 on block lol.

GGs man. I really should learn how to tech throws properly, ate so many of them. Man, red focus cancel is gonna be pretty dangerous for chars that can throw out relatively safe hit confirms like e.ryu s.mp xx lk axe kick or yun s.mp xx lp shoulder. Can just keep throwing it out and if it connects you RFC for a crumple into huge combo or ultra.

Like much of the early footage of jp USF4 arcade matches, I always forgot delayed wakeup was an option. I've also gotta change up all my mak combos that center around ex fukiage. So much work to be done!

I'm confused why the ultra mod still hasn't fixed ex red focus.

Been able to do some decent testing otherwise.

I noticed that as well. The mod is giving us level 2 damage when it should be level 1. So for one hit, we're getting 24 extra damage, for 2 it's 21 and so on. Not that big of a difference but it still matters.

GGs man. I really should learn how to tech throws properly, ate so many of them. Man, red focus cancel is gonna be pretty dangerous for chars that can throw out relatively safe hit confirms like e.ryu s.mp xx lk axe kick or yun s.mp xx lp shoulder. Can just keep throwing it out and if it connects you RFC for a crumple into huge combo or ultra.

I thought intentionally stopped tech'ing because you were afraid of hop kick > EX tatsu and frame trap cl. HP/far MP into MK axe kick. I wasn't getting anything so I figured you weren't pressing any buttons so I could sneak in throws.

As for DWU, it's really off in this version. It's suppose to be 11f, but I think he has it at 19 or so. Which is what he had it the first time when he did his first mod. I tested it by whiffing cr. jab and strong with Ryu after a sweep and both whiffed. When I whiffed cr. MK that's when I could finally DP him with Fei Long. So it's somewhere in between 17-21 frames grounded. Not worth using since it won't be like that in the real version.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I noticed that as well. The mod is giving us level 2 damage when it should be level 1. So for one hit, we're getting 24 extra damage, for 2 it's 21 and so on. Not that big of a difference but it still matters.
Oh it's worse than that. Just did a round of testing and found that the focus attack damage values are all messed up in the mod. Normal focus attacks are wrong, meaning resulting red focus attack values are wrong, and ex red focus attacks do waaay more damage than they should. Ryu's level 1 does 120 base. Bison's level 1 does 140 base. It's not even a matter of being level 2 or doing 2x instead of 1.5x.

Only ex focus seems to do correct damage. Sometimes.

jlai

I thought intentionally stopped tech'ing because you were afraid of hop kick > EX tatsu and frame trap cl. HP/far MP into MK axe kick. I wasn't getting anything so I figured you weren't pressing any buttons so I could sneak in throws.

As for DWU, it's really off in this version. It's suppose to be 11f, but I think he has it at 19 or so. Which is what he had it the first time when he did his first mod. I tested it by whiffing cr. jab and strong with Ryu after a sweep and both whiffed. When I whiffed cr. MK that's when I could finally DP him with Fei Long. So it's somewhere in between 17-21 frames grounded. Not worth using since it won't be like that in the real version.

Hah nah I'm just terrible at teching. Probably is my biggest weakness.

But who needs defense when you can derp your way with cammy/viper. Offense is the best defense!

About that, their was one round where I did cr. MK, LK axe kick(when you were focusing) and then finished into RFC, axe kick combo. According to math I did 505 damage and 800 stun, GAT DAYUM. Sure the RF damage is a little too high, but even if it was right that combo still should have done 481. Funny thing is that you bodied me the rest of the round and I think I only landed one more hit. But still that was pretty bad ass.

I also remember another round when I landed that same combo against you(no focus this time) and ended with hop kick > EX tatsu in the corner for a stun. I should have killed you or nearly killed you after that but I got so fucking excited about what I just did that I didn't focus on hitting the axe kick link and dropped it. I feel like with 4 bars I'm never out of a match now since I can do so much damage and stun easily from footsie range and still have a bar left to mix up blowing up crouch tech with hop kick > EX tatsu or using it to sneak in a EX axe kick.

As for derping, I got pretty salty with the Evil Ryu/Viper match up. So I switched to Yun so I could fight derp with derp. It was so much easier. Good thing I have that character to take care of some of Evil Ryu's bad match ups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyQJ7XNQT68

They really took away lk sobat low strike inv...wow.

Also interesting that they are still calling his ex mgu a buff when they cut the inv frames on it (and not mention it)

Lol @ the end, you could tell that combofiend still knows that the character is going to be complete trash

im so done

You can tell how much they care about Deejay when they're calling his Machine Gun Upper, a Machine Gun Blow (Dudley's) while talking about the changes.

Capcom don't give a fuck about Deejay fam.

Threi

notag
I really didn't want to believe that they nerfed lk sobat though, that is beyond fucked up. At least at -5 you could make it work (space it far and it's not too easy to punish)

Losing the lower body invincibility hurts him in ALL matchups though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom