• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

notworksafe

2v84m43sjlhs4_happy_face.png

Laconic

Banned
Why would they Nerf DeeJay? If they were to Nerf him any worse, hitting start on his portrait in character select would immediately take you to the continue screen.

Threi

notag
And the worst part is people are still convinced that EX MGU got buffed as a reversal based on misinformation about the move's properties.

What are ya gunna do? *shrug*

DeeJay players don't know shit about DeeJay, he's secretly extremely solid, and they are all just salty whiners that need to step it up.

xCobalt

It was part of the Japan Arcade changelog.

It's also evident in player vids, there is one instance where a Zangief player does a meaty jab on DeeJay and stuffs the reversal attempt clean.

Ah okay. Several changes have been made since the arcade release. Who knows, they could have adjusted ex mgu again. Also, how is it different compared to the 2012 version? EX mgu currently has 12 frames startup and full invincibility from frames 1-4. For ultra, it has 6 frame startup and full invincibility from frames 1-2. The invul frames are still proportionate to the startup. After the initial invul frames, he lost midsection invulnerability (does this mean the opponent would be susceptible to EX up kicks?) but is now completely throw invincible.

I can't say if the changes are for better or for worse since I don't play Dee Jay. It just seems like you have to use it in different situations.

Threi

notag
you are largely correct, i will quote myself from srk:

the frame data on ex mgu is VERY misleading. The strike invincibility (5-31f) applies only to his head.

Right now its extremely poor as a reversal because it only has 1-4f full invincibility despite 12f startup (unless, like i said, you are aiming for his head), so what usually happens is either:

1. The move you throw out is active during that 8f gap and EX mgu gets stuffed completely (usually what happens with mid-striking meaties that have a lot of active frames like ryu c.mp, makoto c.mk, both of which make all upkicks whiff as well)
2. The move you throw out intersects with EX MGU's invibility frames, and because of the slow startup the move recovers before ex mgu reaches it's first active frame (i.e a meaty c.lk from most characters)

Now originally when DWU and the EX MGU buff (6f startup) were announced it seemed promising. It's still not fully invincible until startup, but the gap is much smaller (a 2f gap instead of 8f gap) so it would trade with (but not beat) meaties more, which is good.

However, Capcom secretly nerfed the invincibility frames on it (notice that Combofiend didn't mention it in his vid) so the invincibility is only 2f now. What this means is there is less of a chance for whatever meaty you stick out to intersect with the inv frames of ex mgu. That is why you saw things like Gief beating DeeJay's EX MGU with a jab. You can stuff the move with buttons that don't need as much active frames as before. So essentially EX MGU's viability as a reversal hasn't really changed at all, but now we have more recovery on it.

Basically as a wakeup it winds up being more or less the same. On the opponent's part they is a risk of trading with ex mgu (not really a risk of it being beaten clean unless the normal doesn't have a whole lot of active frames and it ends before the 2f of EX MGU's full invincibility ends). However, at the same time, there is also a greater chance of stuffing it because there are less invincibility frames to deal with (and essentially "eat up" your move's active frames). It's kinda weird to explain, as im saying its both easier and harder to stuff the move. Basically, its a bit better against poorly timed shorts, but worse against strongs and fierces. The normals that DeeJay had the most trouble with in matches (normals similar to Ryu's low strong), are pretty much completely unaffected by this change, or delayed wakeup in general. You just wait until deejay starts to get up and you hit the button. It stuffed everything deejay can throw out before, it will stay the same now.

In terms of throw invincibility he already has that in all of his upkicks, and mk, hk, and ex sobat if he has charge (it was a property in lk sobat but they stealth nerfed it, similar to what they did now).

You then have positives like adjusting your wakeup now, and negatives like increased recovery, the risk-reward of the move, and it's viability as a reversal stays essentially the same. The changes of EX MGU actually benefit it's viability in combos more than anything, with the quicker startup, an increased hitbox on the first hit to prevent whiffing during combos, and a higher launch to make followups like dash ultra easier). I don't really think that it was that bad of a tweak, and the change doesn't hurt DeeJay, but calling it DeeJay's "savior" in a wakeup is very disingenuous and is preying on lack of character knowledge in favor of "hype".

well at least on the plus side i have been experimenting with some stun resets with RFA on Akuma haha. They are pretty ghetto but i'll put some vids up in a bit.

*edit2*
Some quick playing around: http://youtu.be/nk1YO_XkHZc

Threi

notag
A heads up to anyone with the retail/gfwl version of AE: all keys are now redeemable in steam for the steam version.

Threi

notag
Lol they nerfed deejay's u2 damage to "balance" out him finally getting some frame advantage on hit, and nerfed knee shot damage to balance it's increased hitstun (i have to check but i believe the max damage combos of knee shot are around the same damage now)

Lmao

I was considering dropping him but now i think im gunna stick with him to spite capcom.

They might not have all of them in there from all the different outlets initially, which happened with Batman. My one from Amazon worked ok.

I have no idea how srk.com obtained the keys. They gave everyone who signed up for EVO 2011 (even if you didn't attend) a AE PC key free.

Might have to buy it off Amazon since it's on sale.

xCobalt

Lol they nerfed deejay's u2 damage to "balance" out him finally getting some frame advantage on hit, and nerfed knee shot damage to balance it's increased hitstun (i have to check but i believe the max damage combos of knee shot are around the same damage now)

Lmao

I was considering dropping him but now i think im gunna stick with him to spite capcom.

It's not specific to Dee Jay. I'm not sure why they would give characters more combo opportunities only to reduce the damage. Only thing I can think of is to increase the rate of meter gain which should see more use with Red Focus.

vg260

I have no idea how srk.com obtained the keys. They gave everyone who signed up for EVO 2011 (even if you didn't attend) a AE PC key free.

Might have to buy it off Amazon since it's on sale.

Well, they haven't officially announced this yet, so maybe all the keys are not in the Steam database yet. I'm sure they will be eventually.

vg260

RIP Seth

Also there's gonna be an upgrade version for PC? I thought it was full package only?

Yup. There will be an upgrade option on PC. That's why they're letting GFWL version redeem in Steam, otherwise there would not be a way to validate redemption of the upgrade version on Steam. Not out til August though.

El Sloth

Banned
Man, I had one of those nights. The ones where you go, "I'll play one or two matches before going to bed," and instead find yourself awake 2 o'clock in the morning salty as hell for losing because you just dropped your bnb. Again.

At least I made some Sagat ragequit. And made another weird Gief player with a mic who never SPDs very angry. I felt bad. I think he was having one of those nights too.

GGs El Sloth.

Didn't know you were on PSN man. Sorry about my yarn net also.
GGs, I'm already used to lag on PSN by now so no worries. Starting to feel like Bane in TDK.

I definitely need to stop being lazy and finally look up the frame data on Yun's moves. I feel like it'd help me figure the match up out.

Edit: RIP Ultra thread

K.Sabot

It's still pointless for Mak though.

There are 0 situations where a meterless combo is worse than level 1 ultra 1.

Save for maybe a mashed out ultra 1 on wakeup.

Mike M

Nick N
Is it possible to preorder the upgrade for XBL, or is that a perk solely for PSN players?

I want my goofy DLC costumes : (

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom