• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supernatural Season 12 |OT| Mama, I'm Coming Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
This is exactly what they should have done with the failed Bloodlines spinoff. Instead of introducing a large cast of new characters that the audience doesn't care about, use a fan favorite character to launch the spin off.

What makes it even better is that this is the actual spinoff idea that fans have been asking for.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I just hope it actually comes to fruition, unlike the last attempt at a Supernatural spinoff.

I think this one will. It's a known aspect of the show and The CW wants a spinoff. With Bloodlines, I think it was just obvious that the idea didn't work well.

I think one of the biggest problems with Bloodlines (aside from it being straight up garbage) is that you can't even tell it's a Supernatural spin-off. It doesn't even use the in-show lore for its monsters.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I think one of the biggest problems with Bloodlines (aside from it being straight up garbage) is that you can't even tell it's a Supernatural spin-off. It doesn't even use the in-show lore for its monsters.

Seriously. You have a random shapeshifter just changing magically without shedding his skin (which they also forgot about this year, again, unfortunately) and it just felt more like The Originals than Supernatural.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The Jody and girls spin-off will work because the CW can just take what they already know how to do, teen-romance shit, and mix it with the Supernatural lore.

Kevin

While this isn't the MOST exciting Supernatural spinoff that I would have wanted, I do like Sheriff Jody Mills enough that I will personally support this spinoff so long as it continues to have a Supernatural feel and offers up some of it's own new intriguing hooks.

Also a lot of people have been championing the concept of "Wayward Sisters" for a long time now so I do think that the interest has been there for quite some time from the community. I also think doing a few Supernatural crossover episodes could be fun as well and I think would be expected.

Soulfire

Awesome news, every time Jodi showed up in the most recent season I was afraid they were going to kill her off. Maybe if she gets her own show I won't have to worry about that. I wonder if they could figure out a way to get Felicia Day's character back?

DeathyBoy

Banned
Awesome news, every time Jodi showed up in the most recent season I was afraid they were going to kill her off. Maybe if she gets her own show I won't have to worry about that. I wonder if they could figure out a way to get Felicia Day's character back?

Bobby's been dead since Season 7 and can't stop showing up.

Kevin

Focus the show around; Jody, Claire, Alex and Donna, keep the Sheriff aspect in full in which should offer something fresh over Supernatural and perhaps offer a few skills and sources the Winchesters don't have.

The show of course should focus on the adopted family aspect and make the group feel like a real family that sets out to do some good for the world.

No god, devil, angels and demons. Show should focus on regular monsters as well as offer up some new threats that Sam and Dean have not dealt with before.

If they can make this show feel like a Supernatural show but also give this show and it's characters it's own identity then this could become a real treat of a show. I'm excited but also cautious.

ZeoVGM

Banned
While this isn't the MOST exciting Supernatural spinoff that I would have wanted, I do like Sheriff Jody Mills enough that I will personally support this spinoff so long as it continues to have a Supernatural feel and offers up some of it's own new intriguing hooks.

Also a lot of people have been championing the concept of "Wayward Sisters" for a long time now so I do think that the interest has been there for quite some time from the community. I also think doing a few Supernatural crossover episodes could be fun as well and I think would be expected.

One of this seasons' biggest strengths to me was honing in on the "family" aspect, especially in the second half of the season. And I think Jody was a great example of that. Not that the show hasn't always been about family but I mean more in the idea of doubling down on a Buffy/Angel-esque type of family. There were a lot of little moments this year that stood out to me: Mary referring to Cas as "one of my boys," Crowley's smile after Sam thanked him for helping, Cas' near-death scene in the barn and this moment with Jody:

spn-dean-and-jody-hands.gif

I loved that. I have a feeling it wasn't in the script either. I'm looking forward to some potential crossovers in season 14 (because you know it's happening) because of this.

Pejo

Interesting news about the spin-off, though I barely like Claire as is. Ah well, I'll give it a shot.

The only spinoff I would have been truly excited about would be the Gabriel/Loki show.

Goldrush

Focus the show around; Jody, Claire, Alex and Donna, keep the Sheriff aspect in full in which should offer something fresh over Supernatural and perhaps offer a few skills and sources the Winchesters don't have.

The show of course should focus on the adopted family aspect and make the group feel like a real family that sets out to do some good for the world.

No god, devil, angels and demons. Show should focus on regular monsters as well as offer up some new threats that Sam and Dean have not dealt with before.

If they can make this show feel like a Supernatural show but also give this show and it's characters it's own identity then this could become a real treat of a show. I'm excited but also cautious.

Yep. This is the one thing I want from any Supernatural spinoff. Always felt like there was a lot of untapped potential in monsters, pagans, fairies, and witches.

This. This so much.

My sister spoiled that someone died at the end, but not whom. When brainwashed Mary went to Jody's place I was really afraid they were going to use Mary killing Jody as some sort of final showdown spur for Mary vs. the Boys. Cannot be more glad that I was wrong, especially given the show's penchant for killing off strong female characters. (See: literally every other strong female character in the show's history)

I can dig that, Clarence.

That'd be Meg.

Anyway this has much more potential that the first attempt but I don't see how a spin off can be successful with the kind of ratings SPN has pulled in 2017. Unless Wayward Sisters can somehow find watchers that aren't in the SPN fandom very quickly, it's doomed to fail I'm afraid. Supernatural isn't a good lauching pad anymore. It was in season 9. Now it's too late.

The only CW show that's in a position to launch a potentially successful spinoff is The Flash.

That'd be Meg.

Anyway this has much more potential that the first attempt but I don't see how a spin off can be successful with the kind of ratings SPN has pulled in 2017. Unless Wayward Sisters can somehow find watchers that aren't in the SPN fandom very quickly, it's doomed to fail I'm afraid. Supernatural isn't a good lauching pad anymore. It was in season 9. Now it's too late.

The only CW show that's in a position to launch a potentially successful spinoff is The Flash.

!!!

I'd prefer a Meg spin off.

ZeoVGM

Banned
That'd be Meg.

But the ratings were fine in 2017. Ratings have gone down as they have for a lot of broadcast television but it's still one of The CW's most reliable shows.

But the ratings were fine in 2017. Ratings have gone down as they have for a lot of broadcast television but it's still one of The CW's most reliable shows.

Yes, they were good enough for a renewal, but it's no longer a top performer in the CW.

SPN is a special case in ratings because of its longevity. It has enjoyed a great resurgence four years ago that carried in seasons 9 and 10, but those days are over.

Basically what I'm asking is how can a spinoff of a show which averages 1.5million viewers per week have a future ? We already know Wayward Sisters would never have the full SPN fandom/audience behind it. So it's bound to start low, and unless it's a critical darling (which we know it won't be), the CW won't be patient with a low performer in its first season.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but after The Flash, new shows performances on the CW have ranged from okay (DC Universe) to dreadful.

The idea of a The Originals spinoff is even dumber.

Kevin

For those interested, Amazon has the season 12 Blu-Ray preorder currently at $23.77 (it's $45 in Best Buy). This is way cheaper then new Supernatural season releases go for normally.

Joni

Yes, they were good enough for a renewal, but it's no longer a top performer in the CW.
You are looking at the wrong metric for CW shows. Live viewers watching it on television is their least interesting metric. It is how they see Riverdale as a huge important show to renew for instance.

Rodin

There's only one correct answer to this.

tumblr_n1xa9phewf1re6b1fo3_250.gif
Robert-Redford-Nod-of-approval.gif

I like Genevieve too though, good job there Sammy.

Have yet to see season 12. Loved last season with the whole god thing.

Is this season any good??

Some parts are really good, others are pretty weak, and it has one of the best episodes in the entire series. All in all it was enjoyable, but definitely not on the same level as S11.

Kevin

Not as good as season 11 but still mostly solid. There was an awesome Tarantino styled episode towards the middle of season 12 that was just 42 minutes of pure awesomness done by the new writer, Davy Perez.

ZeoVGM

Banned

SPN is a special case in ratings because of its longevity.

Not to be argumentative or anything, but this just isn't true.

Supernatural is one of the top rated shows on The CW.

2017-06-22_1605.png

The CW's ratings are down across the board, as I believe is the case with many networks. But Supernatural is still in the top 5 shows on The CW and in close proximity to the rest of that top 5.

While The Flash is clearly the highest rated show, the next four are all very close in the 18-49 demo. After Supernatural comes in at #5, there is a larger drop off. And even then, those shows (iZombie, The 100, The Originals) are still getting renewed on a regular basis.

It's also worth noting that Supernatural has the smallest drop off in the top 5 shows from the previous year. (Supergirl's drop off shouldn't be counted, however, as it aired on CBS previously.)

Unless Wayward Sisters has disastrous ratings, which is doubtful, it should be just fine.

ZeoVGM

Banned

I think season 12 was great. There are a few issues in the first nine episodes, which I attribute to the new showrunners finding their path, but after that I loved pretty much the entirety of the season.

Somnia

Not to be argumentative or anything, but this just isn't true.

Supernatural is one of the top rated shows on The CW.

2017-06-22_1605.png

The CW's ratings are down across the board, as I believe is the case with many networks. But Supernatural is still in the top 5 shows on The CW and in close proximity to the rest of that top 5.

While The Flash is clearly the highest rated show, the next four are all very close in the 18-49 demo. After Supernatural comes in at #5, there is a larger drop off. And even then, those shows (iZombie, The 100, The Originals) are still getting renewed on a regular basis.

It's also worth noting that Supernatural has the smallest drop off in the top 5 shows from the previous year. (Supergirl's drop off shouldn't be counted, however, as it aired on CBS previously.)

Unless Wayward Sisters has disastrous ratings, which is doubtful, it should be just fine.

I give CW a lot of credit for thinking about the future unlike some networks. While their shows never compete with the major 4 networks rating wise, they are being smart with the Netflix deal plus the way they handle their shows on their CW App across all platforms.

It's about more than just straight TV ratings for the CW now. I hope it works for them as they are changing with the times faster than other networks.

Kevin

I still want a Bobby and Rufus spinoff or a Samuel Colt spinoff but that will never happen. I really wanted a Men of Letters spinoff but season 12 all but destroyed my interest in that. lol

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I still want a Bobby and Rufus spinoff or a Samuel Colt spinoff but that will never happen. I really wanted a Men of Letters spinoff but season 12 all but destroyed my interest in that. lol

They should bring Bobby and Rufus back as supporting characters for the Jody spin-off. Just have them hang around in the background bickering like an old married couple.

Kevin

Just a reminder, Amazon has the season 12 Blu-Ray preorder for $23.77. It's nearly double that everywhere else. I think this deal will end soon so if any of you guys want in on an awesome deal, now is the time to act.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom