• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch - Koizumi confirms Bluetooth headsets - wired 3.5mm jack works while docked

Okay but are we talking about headphones or headsets as in a working mic? If it's the former, isn't that like.... expected? I certainly expect to be able to use headphones on the device whether it is portable or docked.

Well it won't matter if it accepts microphones from headsets if it has no usable functions on the system. I.E party chat through Switch.

Okay but are we talking about headphones or headsets as in a working mic? If it's the former, isn't that like.... expected? I certainly expect to be able to use headphones on the device whether it is portable or docked.

PS4 doesn't support bluetooth headphones, IIRC. At least the non-PS branded ones.

Got a pair of Sony MDRXB950BTs to use with my Sony TV and my Sony console. Neither supported the headphones.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
PS4 doesn't support bluetooth headphones, IIRC. At least the non-PS branded ones.

Got a pair of Sony MDRXB950BTs to use with my Sony TV and my Sony console. Neither supported the headphones.

It's funny because those do work with the Vita and PS3 (sometimes, PS3 bluetooth is a bit wonky)

HeelPower

How does that work practically ?

Like if you can have a (long enough)cord extend from the dock,you can listen to the game audio ?

Awkward,but better than nothing.

Headsets for what, isn't the voice chat all done by the phone app...?

It's almost as if people shouldn't have borrowed trouble and freaked out about things until Nintendo actually started talking about those things.

Now back to people screaming, and bleeding from their eyes because we haven't seen every aspect of the dashboard UI, chicken little style.

It's almost as if people shouldn't have borrowed trouble and freaked out about things until Nintendo actually started talking about those things.

Now back to people screaming, and bleeding from their eyes because we haven't seen every aspect of the dashboard UI, chicken little style.

Isn't it kind of Nintendo's responsibility to address those concerns. Which they haven't even really attempted to do outside of offhand remarks.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

To be fair they should've clearly communicated this to us more than 2 weeks out

Instro

Size of the joycons should be taken into account. I'll miss that feature on the Wii U gamepad though.

Which is fine, and I could accept that explanation, however that is certainly not an explanation for the pro controller not having the feature.

Isn't it kind of Nintendo's responsibility to address those concerns. Which they haven't even really attempted to do outside of offhand remarks.

Sure. That's valid. I just think people are getting way to stressed out in the minutia which kind of dilutes the actual concerns.

tsundoku

They better have some direct or something to explain. This cant be the only way we getting this kind of news through translated articles and interviews.
I refuse to understand the constant decrying Nintendo for not using their valuable editing filming scriptwriting and marketing budgets for directs on explaining minute technical mechanics that will be instantly obvious on day 1

I use a computer monitor because I live in a small fuckin apartment with a small desk and I have to use controller headphones for all game audio and getting this information from an interview is fine.

And yes i'm well used to putting a pair of earbuds and a mic into my laptop or ps4 and having another paid of overears running to my controller or I guess in this case the dock. It's not a real life use case for 99% of the switch owner population and not necessary to cover in a direct.

There isn't going to be a direct until probably before e3 or before Splatoon when Nintendo wants to do a bit marketing push for a big product.

I'm also one of the few people who ever got a digital game purchase refund from Nintendo when for whatever reason Tokyo Mirage Sessions only put out cellphone noises thru the gamepad's audio jack and not any battle music / dialogue.
(the point is that a single game of the entire wii u and ps4 library was the first time I ever had issues with this setup, developers seem to have us covered)

jonno394

But does it connect to the controller or the dock?

All of this just confuses me more.
What if i have a single 3.5mm headphone that i need to plug in to use voice chat and hear game audio?

It connects to the switch itself. Nintendo Japan website lists the 3.5mm jack as being used be mic/headphones.

Bonk

That's strange because I use my momentum wireless with the PS4 without any problems...

Edit: sorry, I misremembered... does not work.

jediyoshi

Okay. I guess I was really confused because I never entertained the thought that it might not have been possible to just plug in a headset and use it as headphones regardless of the status of the Switch. That's something I consider a basic expected functionality in any media device.

Media device Kappa

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

There's only one culpable side in all this and it's Nintendo with their baffling way of (not) communicating the features of their cool new device.

It connects to the switch itself. Nintendo Japan website lists the 3.5mm jack as being used be mic/headphones.

a bit weird but okay,
im still not sure how this'll work in conjunction with the app but w/e...
they really need to clarify these things ALOT better.
I dont understand why they cant go through every single feature one by one in a series of videos instead of the offhand remarks.
this thing is coming out in 2 weeks and the info concerning it is all over the place

koss424

a bit weird but okay,
I dont understand why they cant go through every single feature one by one in a series of videos instead of the offhand remarks.
this thing is coming out in 2 weeks and the info concerning it is all over the place

you are either getting because you pre-ordered and buying no matter what, or, you aren't getting one in two weeks and you will have all the info you need when the next wave of shipments come in. Either way it doesn't really matter.

a bit weird but okay,

I think people got a little to hung up on the weird wording of the app thing. Sounds like the bulk of online features happen on the Switch, and the app is there to serve as an additional way to do things.

I refuse to understand the constant decrying Nintendo for not using their valuable editing filming scriptwriting and marketing budgets for directs on explaining minute technical mechanics that will be instantly obvious on day 1

I use a computer monitor because I live in a small fuckin apartment with a small desk and I have to use controller headphones for all game audio and getting this information from an interview is fine.

And yes i'm well used to putting a pair of earbuds and a mic into my laptop or ps4 and having another paid of overears running to my controller or I guess in this case the dock. It's not a real life use case for 99% of the switch owner population and not necessary to cover in a direct.

There isn't going to be a direct until probably before e3 or before Splatoon when Nintendo wants to do a bit marketing push for a big product.

I'm also one of the few people who ever got a digital game purchase refund from Nintendo when for whatever reason Tokyo Mirage Sessions only put out cellphone noises thru the gamepad's audio jack and not any battle music / dialogue.
(the point is that a single game of the entire wii u and ps4 library was the first time I ever had issues with this setup, developers seem to have us covered)
It dont have to be a direct but it should be some sort of visual in depth explaination on some of the features that are not properly explained yet. It could be 10 mins long but we should have some sort of clear understanding on how things work before launch.

Like I said Im gonna get it at launch anyway but whats the point of me just playing around with the system and, "Oh I can do this? The fuck I cant do this? Can this work?"

And Im sure we'll get some sort of direct before E3. Doesnt have to be a huge blowout direct. Just some updates on some known projects and other things like smash bros or something if there is a port.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I think people got a little to hung up on the weird wording of the app thing. Sounds like the bulk of online features happen on the Switch, and the app is there to serve as an additional way to do things.

after reading all that leaked info I feel this way as well. we'll soon see though.

you are either getting because you pre-ordered and buying no matter what, or, you aren't getting one in two weeks and you will have all the info you need when the next wave of shipments come in. Either way it doesn't really matter.
That doesnt excuse what nintendo is doing here.
And it matters , im not gonna get it day 1 no matter what but i am open to the possibility of getting it day 1 since I want zelda badly.
In which case, what nintendo says up until its release matters a heck lot.

akashhhhh

PS4's bluetooth implementation is particularly effed. I've basically stopped using my PS4 as a media playback device because of the crap Harmony integration.

koss424

And it matters , im not gonna get it day 1 no matter what but i am open to the possibility of getting it day 1 since I want zelda badly.

i'm waiting until it's on the store shelves. Yes, Zelda.. but I don't want a Wii U 2. Switch looks promissing, but there is more we need to know for sure.

I prefer using my headphones when gaming & was afraid that the Switch was not bt compatible. This is great news.

We still dont know if its any different than plugging headphones into your tv though.
If its not doing voice chat audio then what is even the point of the port.
Length of the cord is already an issue

jonno394

So their explanation as to how a headphone and microphone would work would sell you on a device you'd be buying to play a single player offline game without chat?

So their explanation as to how a headphone and microphone would work would sell you on a device you'd be buying to play a single player offline game without chat?

Considering i dont plan to throw it out the window after im done with zelda, yes.
It is a factor. It also matters to me that theres a convenient way to get game audio to my headphones.
And no, i dont base my purchase on just one thing.But thats not the only thing deterring me from or pushing me to get one.I could use explanations for every single one of their features
How those things are handled will eventually determine whether i get it day one or not.

Well they are probably going to before release. Of cource one could argue that they are terribly late and one would not be wrong. On the other hand gaf have no patience at all and the amount of jumping to conclusion have been unbelievable lately. But ultimately all would have been good if Nintendo would have just given the info sooner.

jts

...hate me...
I was hoping that I could have something more practical (and potentially cheaper) like this:

A8342041_ND_01.jpg

...especially on the go in occasions when I know it's possible to connect the console to a TV. Much better than carrying the hefty original dock.

Bit miffed about it but I'll wait and see.

random25

Come on we all know it's the same answer to everything - because Nintendo sucks at this.

What can I say to that? :p

I'm half expecting some sort of bluetooth receiver dongle/accessory to plug your wired headphones into. I'd buy the shit too.

There are already those available on the market. The question is if those things can be recognized by the Switch. Those things receive audio via Bluetooth, so maybe it's possible that they get supported.

Instro

What can I say to that? :p

There are already those available on the market. The question is if those things can be recognized by the Switch. Those things receive audio via Bluetooth, so maybe it's possible that they get supported.

A specifically Nintendo branded one I mean. Given the accessories they already have lined up, I wouldn't be shocked to see it.

L~A

There are? Any link (Amazon, etc.) Might need to look into it, in case headset cable isn't long enough (it should be, but better safe than sorry).

Top Bottom