• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch - Koizumi confirms Bluetooth headsets - wired 3.5mm jack works while docked

Minsc

Gold Member
best bluetooth headset for under $80 GO

I have a pair of these and they're great. Absolutely no issues pairing with PC, phones (android or iPhone), and can also use them wired. There's a newer model for a bit more money too, but the cheaper one is still really good, maybe even better sounding going from a quick glance of user reviews.

FaintDeftone

Great news on the Bluetooth headset compatibility. One thing I love about the Xbox One and PS4 is that I can plug in a pair of headphones into the controller and get my audio. I tend to play most at night when my son is in bed so I try to keep it quiet by using headphones. I was worried I couldn't do this with the Switch in TV mode.

sirap

No thanks.

I'd rather not use bulky gamer headsets. Much easier to take out my phone and chat while I'm holding my Switch.

( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

OK, so:

Game chat works with the Switch - So it's capable of running chat and a game simultaneously.
Bluetooth headsets work with the Switch - So it's not a question of "connectivity" to the Switch while docked\undocked.

Why the hell can't they run party chat through the console again?

OK, so:

Game chat works with the Switch - So it's capable of running chat and a game simultaneously.
Bluetooth headsets work with the Switch - So it's not a question of "connectivity" to the Switch while docked\undocked.

Nintendo looking out for the kiddiez I assume. There's no technical reason they can't do it anyway.

OK, so:

Nintendo looking out for the kiddiez I assume. There's no technical reason they can't do it anyway.

The running idea is that the Switch does all of this, and the smartphone app does it too as an optional addition that does it as well. Clumsy wording on their Website's part.

japtor

OK, so:

Bluetooth headsets work with the Switch - So it's not a question of "connectivity" to the Switch while dockedundocked.

Probably this:
I think it's already been covered but just in case.

Bluetooth is now a somewhat acceptable standard for listening to audio (with a bit of lag).

In 2-way mode with a mic, it's still absolutely godawful. Mono, and pretty much 'telephone call quality'. You aren't going to want to listen to game audio on it while chatting.

PS4 (and I assume Xbox) don't use BT audio profiles, they use 3.5mm into the controller, then send/receive as data from controller to console. Wireless headsets specific to the consoles use propriety wireless dongles and not BT at all.

But if you are Nintendo and are creating a console that can be docked or undocked and have god knows how many weird controller combinations including single joycon, I can understand if they've just segmented chat audio out to a phone app. KISS principle in action, rather than add 3.5mm jacks to every controller part.
Bluetooth headset (i.e. phone speaker+mic) profile sucks ass audio wise while the headphone/music profile (A2DP, no mic input) is fine. I'm not sure it's possible to run both at once, and if it is I'm not sure anything supports it.

I know that it's just all together more baffling when all the pieces to do it are in place to begin with at the OS level. They just didn't enable it.

Bluetooth headset (i.e. phone speaker+mic) profile sucks ass audio wise while the headphone/music profile (A2DP, no mic input) is fine. I'm not sure it's possible to run both at once, and if it is I'm not sure anything supports it.

This makes more sense, but modern cars connect to phones with both profiles to ease this problem, why can't the Switch do it?

Tom Nook

Nintendo, release Splatoon headsets.

splatoon-review-nintendo-wii-u-game.jpg

japtor

Hmm, I didn't know that... I guess there isn't a good way to do this with Bluetooth right now. Surprising stuff.
One thing that might be possible is seamless switching on voice input but I don't know if that'd actually work in practice since there usually seems to be some delay in switching profiles. They could do phone profile only which would work for simultaneous voice chat and game audio, but the audio quality would blow.

Lexxism

I'm so confused by this. Simple question, in order to use headphones while docked I have to plug my headphones into my dock and then have a long enough cord to sit on my couch or a Bluetooth cord?

Is there no way to plug the headphones into the switch controller?
If I understand it correctly, Bluetooth headset will work on the system. You have an option on using a long cord to use your 3.5mm jack headset

Sadly, no. Switch Pro controller and Joycons doesn't have 3.5mm port. Use the Bluetooth or the 3.5mm port.

well it is a portable console, so perhaps more likely they'd support BT headphones than the home consoles like PS4 and XB1. And PS4 has a 3.5mm socket right by your hands so it isn't quite such an issue using wired headphones.

I wonder if plugging in headphones will automatically cut the audio to your TV?

Yeah that has been my solution for the last year, unfortunately it just means the Headphones have to be limited to the sound quality that the controller can output, it just frustrates me that not only my headphones but literally all of Sony's Bluetooth headphones don't work with either their TV's or their PS4/Pro, I always try pairing my headphones to my Pro every time there's a new update hoping that they've added support for their own headphones but alas it still doesn't work.

I think Nintendo could maybe offer that as a setting?, so you could choose if you want the sound to completely cut off to the TV when you plug anything into the 3.5mm jack or if you want the sound to still output on the TV at the same time.

Top Bottom