• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Syria: Hundreds Killed In Chemical Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exr

As mentioned before in this thread, the strange timing, small scale (comparativley) and the shadyness of both sides has.me skeptical that this was Assads doing. Very sad either way, Syria will not recover as a country for a long, long time. The entire region has fallen apart.

I say this in every Syria thread, but the reason neither side deserves to 'win' is because we sat around on our hands while the opposition was taken over by militant terrorists. There was a time when this was an actual civil war and not a new front for terrorist organizations.

And yet the ultimate destabilization of civil war would still result in in the same outcome: one side winning, executing all those who were supportive of the previous administration, perhaps a weak election that gave power to extremists of a different set, and in a year or two they'd be back at square one. There were no good options here, as long as the same ideologies control the culture. It's not our problem.

The worst thing is that there's no clear side people can support. It's two coalitions of thugs, zealots and generally shitty people both backed by shady international interests. There's going to be conflict for ages regardless of the victor, and the instability this conflict has caused in Lebanon will only get worse.

The Syrian people lose either way.

I agree. I can't even imagine what the everyday Syrian citizen is thinking right now. All of this shit going on left and right, fear for their life without any clear side to support. I have no idea how this situation can even be resolved in a positive manner as it seems like whoever 'wins' the people will lose, heavily.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Clearly this was the work of Liwa al-MacGuyver, who manufactured large amounts of weaponised, toxic chemicals and then created a means to deploy it and then launched them at several different rebel stronghold areas simultaneously as part of the CIA-Mossad-Wahabi plot to destroy Syria. And the Syrian government just happened to be planning to conventionally shell some of these areas almost immediately after the strikes. What luck - that will play right into the FALSE FLAG op.

Why a group so well organised, well equipped and capable of pulling off an attack like this hasn't already toppled the Assad government already is anyone's guess tbh.

Kinyou

The worst thing is that there's no clear side people can support. It's two coalitions of thugs, zealots and generally shitty people both backed by shady international interests. There's going to be conflict for ages regardless of the victor, and the instability this conflict has caused in Lebanon will only get worse.

The Syrian people lose either way.
Yeah. I'm not even sure how much a US or Nato intervention would help

Doubtful Assad did this. Remember that the US is backing Sunni mercenaries (many undoubtedly being veterans of the Iraqi insurgency) in order to continue its destabilization of the Middle East.

No they aren't. They are backing FSA with non-lethal equipment. The Islamic brigades is a whole other story though. They get support from foreign moneymen. Don't try to portray them as one hemogenous group. Even the FSA itself is divided. Take your conspiracy theories elsewhere.

No they aren't. They are backing FSA with non-lethal equipment. The Islamic brigades is a whole other story though. They get support from foreign moneymen. Don't try to portray them as one hemogenous group. Even the FSA itself is divided. Take your conspiracy theories elsewhere.

Yes they are backing the FSA with non lethal small arms, ammo and anti tank weapons.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Yes they are backing the FSA with non lethal small arms, ammo and anti tank weapons.

Saudi is the one supplying arms; the only US involvement in arms movements was allowing the Saudi shipments of weapons from the former Yugoslavia to pass through Jordan with the proviso the vetted FSA groups who recieved them didn't let them get into the hands of the jihadists. This went on for a few months until videos started coming out of JN people waving around their shiny Croatian AT guns, upon which the supply mysteriously dried up. They've started getting back in in the last couple of months so I'd imagine either the US had some words and got Jordan's intelligence agencies to sort shit out, or the Saudies simply found a way to bypass them (likely just swung up around through Turkey).

Also there's certainly no shortage of small arms in the region and from captured military stores, and what arms and ammo shipments that do seem to have come from outside seem to be, again, from the KSA (diverted shipments from Ukrainian manufacturers, IIRC).

KillGore

What in the hell? That third video is brutal...

Humans.
It's amazing how much we can fuck up things, this world and other people around us.
So tired of being a part of this sometimes. Children need love, caring and freedom. Not this...or anything violent.

To be fair, we've done much more good than bad (at least towards each other, environmental issues is a whole different story). The fact that we've been able to hold 7 billion+ humans and leave in "almost" harmony, shows there's a lot of good in us, in most places as least.

I agree. I can't even imagine what the everyday Syrian citizen is thinking right now. All of this shit going on left and right, fear for their life without any clear side to support. I have no idea how this situation can even be resolved in a positive manner as it seems like whoever 'wins' the people will lose, heavily.

I'm friends with a few Bosnian's who were in the middle of the civil war a few decades back, most if not all who fought in it.

From the way they put it, it's very disorienting. You have little choice but to fight on one side or the other, either to be shamed for being the one not to do your duty but also the fact that those who come around recruiting gave no choice to those able bodied. You also feel the need to at least defend your home/city by keeping the fighting in the next town if possible.

To make matters worse, sometimes your city and unit flips sides, and now you're obligated to fight on that other side of the coin, perhaps now in an even worse position then you were in before.

The chaos, not knowing what comes the next day, wondering if some other player is going to enter the field and make everything hopeless/possible...I honestly couldn't imagine these things that they were telling me about.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Baseless when Carla Del Ponte herself said she had proof of the rebels using chemical weapons in Syria?

Please.

You must've missed when the UN Commission she was on came out and shot down her comments. It was one of the leading international news stories for like 2 days, so I'm curious as to how you missed it.

Fularu

Banned
CHEEZMO™;77625681 said:
You must've missed when the UN Commission she was on came out and shot down her comments. It was one of the leading international news stories for like 2 days, so I'm curious as to how you missed it.

Nope, I didn't.

But then again, why wouldn't they? The current mantra in the west is that Assad is a butcher and a monster and that the rebels are poor little angels fighting against oppression and injustice!

Or to put it like our resident AQ fanboy Liger05, the sunnies are getting slaughtered!

Del Ponte said it because she knows it to be true, the russians have said to be true and everyone knows that the syrian government and the SAA using chemical weapons would be an incredible mistake almost inviting the foreign nations to openly invade and blast the shit out of the country. Assad is neither stupid nor suicidal.

The only ones who would gain from the so called use of chemical weapons from the SAA are the rebels who want their "war" won for them by foreign intervention.

That's it. The SAA neither needs chemical weapons no WMDs to win that war. Especially not with an FSA in disarray and the "militant" groups having taken, more or less, the banner of "fighting Assad".

Diablos

Given they were sleeping (most of them I presume), all I can say is I hope they did not suffer and it ended quick.

Fucking barbarians... there is NO EXCUSE for this.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
The only ones who would gain from the so called use of chemical weapons from the SAA are the rebels who want their "war" won for them by foreign intervention.

That's it. The SAA neither needs chemical weapons no WMDs to win that war. Especially not with an FSA in disarray and the "militant" groups having taken, more or less, the banner of "fighting Assad".

And what do the opposition have to gain from launching a large-scale chemical attack on several of their own strongholds within Damascus. Not only would this massively jeopardise their hold on the capital's suburbs (where they've been steadily advancing), but it would also be a waste of these supposed stockpiles of chemical weapons they have lying around. Why not launch all that shit at Qassioun? If they did that they could probably take all of Damascus within a few weeks, because that's where Assad's military is stationed and where a lot of the RG units in the city are based out of. You could take out half the city's garrison in a single strike.

But no, better to bomb our own territory and kill a load of sleeping women and kids in the middle of the night because FALSE FLAG. You could just ask this about pretty much any action - "Why did Israel use WP in Gaza/cluster munitions in Lebanon? Who does it benefit? There's no need for them to do so."

And LAFFO if you think Assad can even win. It's physically impossible, barring some world-altering shift in power. The absolute best-case for him would be fighting the enemy to a standstill and clearing Damascus of opposition fighters. Massive amounts of Hezbollah fighters, right on the Lebanese border, backed by the NDF and the SAA, along with all their artillery, tank and air support, took their sweet-ass time to take a small town. And in that fight HB sustained the heaviest loss rate they'd seen since 2006.

The whole "but Assad is winning!!" thing is just some bullshit media narrative cooked up to keep things 'interesting'. He's been steadily losing in Derra, Raqqa, Deir ez-Zor, Aleppo governate and Aleppo city, Damascus and its suburbs, and ISIS recently got within rocket range of his hometown in their (largely symbolic) incursion into Latakia. The only place he's been consistenly taking ground is Homs and that's at a slow grind. Dude can't even reinforce his bases without his helicopters getting shot down and his convoys fucked up. But ooo, he's gonna sweep North any day now and take Aleppo!!.

This is what living in an information bubble does to your perspective.

Sibylus

Banned
Assad has to be a double-bluffing maniac to order it himself, but I could certainly see someone under him or the extremists arrayed against him gaining potentially quite a bit. The possibility of one hell of a promotion following intervention and chaos in the former respect, the possibility of chaos and a foothold for extremist insurgency in the latter.

Assad has to be a double-bluffing maniac to order it himself, but I could certainly see someone under him or the extremists arrayed against him gaining potentially quite a bit. The possibility of one hell of a promotion following intervention and chaos in the former respect, the possibility of chaos and a foothold for extremist insurgency in the latter.

Assad knows exactly how useless the UN is and how solid Russian support of him is, way more then anyone on this forum. He will get away with this and his use of a powerful terror weapon in his arsenal will help a lot in defeating the insurgency.

I remember reading the story that when Hannibal was at Rome's doorsteps, a number of Italian cities switched sides to Hannibals. This became a problem for Hannibal since Hannibal then needed to protect those cities from Rome's wrath.

This does not to seem to be a problem for the rebs who's soldiers seem to be absent from the "majority women and children" attack. I thought they where running the area but it seems it's just women and children there. It's true though that they only care about fighters so women and children are disposable to the average Syrian reb unless it's a child soldier.

antonz

Considering we know the Rebels have said weapons and reports have shown they have used them prior I have no reason to believe Assad would be using them specifically when foreign powers are looking around.

Islamic Extremists on the other hand are more worried about the 72 virgins and all that and dying to further the cause. So if they have to kill some women and children to get to the end goals than so be it.

Sibylus

Banned
Assad knows exactly how useless the UN is and how solid Russian support of him is, way more then anyone on this forum. He will get away with this and his use of a powerful terror weapon in his arsenal will help a lot in defeating the insurgency.
This could very well be, though in the process of inaction I think we might effectively be hollowing our chemical weapons agreements and making tinsel out of them. Such is the fear of our own blood.

liger05

Most of the "Syrian" rebels are actually foreign fighters, vast majority of whom are Sunni. The same people America fought when it gave Iraq a regime change. America is still following the Neocon policies just with a more hands off approach.

Most are foreign. Your evidence for this is what exactly?

After this massacre from Assad expect plenty more locals to take up arms. The Assad defence force please answer me this what logic was there in him torturing kids 2 years ago? There is no reasoning with a butcher.

hym

Banned
Free Army Northern Front Commander, Abdel Baset Tawileh: “I give the international community one month to provide the rebels and the FSA with weapons and ammunition, so we can defeat this criminal regime. We give them one month. If we see the international community continue to desert our revolution, we will reveal all the chemical evidence we have, I think you know full well that I mean what I say.”

Most are foreign. Your evidence for this is what exactly?

After this massacre from Assad expect plenty more locals to take up arms. The Assad defence force please answer me this what logic was there in him torturing kids 2 years ago? There is no reasoning with a butcher.

Well Muslims are brothers to one another regardless of Birthplace. The majority of the fighters among Jubhat Al Nusra and other groups would be born and bred in Syria but its been documented that brothers from the wider Arab world and and even Chechnya have also gone as well. I will praise them like I do the Syrian born as anyone who is willing to leave there own security, own families to go and help those who are in need are a better person than I am.

The Economist - An interview with Jabhat al-Nusra
It would be great if the Syrians were with us but the kuffar [infidels] are not important. Even Sunnis who want democracy are kuffar as are all Shia. The first duty on us is to fight the kuffar among us here in the occupied Muslim lands.
Syrian rebels execute teenager Mohammad Kattaa accused of blasphemy in front of his parents
60 Shia Muslims massacred in rebel ‘cleansing’ of Hatla
Abu Sakkar Syria's 'heart-eating cannibal': "If we don't get help, a no-fly zone, heavy weapons, we will do worse. You've seen nothing yet."

The people liger05 believes are better than he is.

CassSept

Polish Press Agency is reporting that there won't be an official UN investigation carried out due to vetoes of China and Russia. What the....

The US, the UK, France, Germany and Turkey are all pushing for intervention. China and Russia are probably blocking it for that reason. They don't want yet another invasion in the middle east. Bombing some military facilities isn't going to solve the conflict.

demolitio

This is fucked up. What the Hell.

Fucked up but not surprising. Syria is extremely important to Russia and China has been trying to grow closer to those in the region as well. They don't care what the hell happens as long as their deals and control remain firmly intact as far as Russia goes. They risk uncertainty if they turned on Assad so they don't want to bring it up. Russia lost a lot of influence in the region and Syria is one of their strongholds and they don't want to give it up to a western intervention of any kind. Basically, they're willing to let anything happen there as long as they remain in control.

Typical scummy move in a war all about scummy moves.

It's amazing to think that these chemical weapons were just the start of what the big nations were working on and are still developing even in terms of engineering a horrible virus to wipe out their opponents. I just read about one the other day from Russia that terrified me and how the new scare is China's work in that field.

demolitio

I never knew this gas even existed. That is really cruel.

Believe me, there are A LOT of cruel chemical and biological weapons out there throughout the past century and that's one of the areas where both sides of the Cold War agreed with each other (even though they still had secret pandemic diseases) which resulted in this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_Weapons_Convention

It's a lot crueler than nuclear weapons and it's probably the scariest thing to come out of the 20th century in my opinion considering just how many different types there are and how many result in prolonged suffering.

That's why the engineering of diseases in China really scares me. One slip up and it's on and they're purposely meant to combat any vaccinations.

People would actually be surprised at what was actually found in Iraq too and what was shipped to Syria. A few military friends and I were talking about it and what was discovered and the trucks that left for Syria. I would hate to think that any of this could be traced back to Iraq too although Syria had it through other means as well.

hym

Banned
People would actually be surprised at what was actually found in Iraq too and what was shipped to Syria. A few military friends and I were talking about it and what was discovered and the trucks that left for Syria. I would hate to think that any of this could be traced back to Iraq too although Syria had it through other means as well.

Saddam the fool destroyed all his chemical weapons as confirmed by UN inspections which the US with malicious intend rejected. If he didn't there would have been no invasion. So now we are supposed to believe it was moved to Syria, you know Syria has been hostile to Iraq since 1979 right? Remember who sold Saddam the materials for his chemical weapons? hint not China or the Soviet Union.

Zuheir al-Jalabi, a Sunni consultant in the security division within Maliki’s office, claimed that “the leadership of Jabhat al-Nusra in Iraq includes officers in the former Iraqi army, and late President Saddam Hussein’s intelligence and security services, who currently oversee the coordination between the fighters in Iraq and Syria.”

If there was anything left in Iraq its in the hands of al-Qaeda now.

demolitio

Lol at you, Saddam the fool destroyed all his chemical weapons.

If he didn't there would have been no invasion. So now we are supposed to believe it's all in Syria, you know Syria has been hostile to Iraq since 1979 right?

If there was anything left in Iraq its in the hands of al-Qaeda now.

Thanks, laugh and be a dick all you want but that doesn't change the shit found and destroyed immediately or the report by the Syrian journalist before the invasion or the other convoys in that period. I never said it ALL went to Syria even though that seemed to be assumed by you, but it's not hard to think a few couldn't be aboard those convoys.

If you disagree, no need to laugh at me instead of having an actual conversation but I'd love to know how you saw all weapons destroyed and why that would stop the invasion if they weren't considering the early gear we went in with for quite a while along with training specifically to deal with that threat? They were unfriendly, but they both had something in common and both would benefit from the exchange. Even other intelligence agencies have expressed the concern of the transfer to Syria.

Even WikiLeaks had the documents about the labs that still existed including the weapons troops found throughout the war. Anyone could have some of the remnants of the program.

I didn't mean to start another discussion (or argument in your case) but like I said, I'd hate to find anything that could have been linked. That is all. Do I have a picture of a big box labeled "WMD's" going across the border? No. Do I have people I trust (not grunts) that I met in tech school? Yes. It was just a comment at the end of my post about chemical weapons that these guys 100% believe in and something we talked about often.

Edit: I'm not using this as some justification for Iraq nor was I for it. That wasn't my point and I would just hate to think some weapons might have went to Syria directly as a result of the war.

hym

Banned
Even WikiLeaks had the documents about the labs that still existed.

So besides claims by your friends in the military, all you remain with is Iraq had laboratories...

Hans Blix's briefing to the security council

Since we arrived in Iraq, we have conducted more than 400 inspections covering more than 300 sites. All inspections were performed without notice, and access was almost always provided promptly. In no case have we seen convincing evidence that the Iraqi side knew in advance that the inspectors were coming.

The inspections have taken place throughout Iraq at industrial sites, ammunition depots, research centres, universities, presidential sites, mobile laboratories, private houses, missile production facilities, military camps and agricultural sites. At all sites which had been inspected before 1998, re-baselining activities were performed. This included the identification of the function and contents of each building, new or old, at a site. It also included verification of previously tagged equipment, application of seals and tags, taking samples and discussions with the site personnel regarding past and present activities. At certain sites, ground-penetrating radar was used to look for underground structures or buried equipment.

Through the inspections conducted so far, we have obtained a good knowledge of the industrial and scientific landscape of Iraq, as well as of its missile capability but, as before, we do not know every cave and corner. Inspections are effectively helping to bridge the gap in knowledge that arose due to the absence of inspections between December 1998 and November 2002.

More than 200 chemical and more than 100 biological samples have been collected at different sites. Three-quarters of these have been screened using our own analytical laboratory capabilities at the Baghdad Centre (BOMVIC). The results to date have been consistent with Iraq's declarations.

We have now commenced the process of destroying approximately 50 litres of mustard gas declared by Iraq that was being kept under UNMOVIC seal at the Muthanna site. One-third of the quantity has already been destroyed. The laboratory quantity of thiodiglycol, a mustard gas precursor, which we found at another site, has also been destroyed.

It really sucks that your buddies fought in a war for fabricated justifications but instead of making up shit they should probably focus on those who sent them there in the first place.

demolitio

So besides claims by your friends in the military, all you remain with is Iraq had laboratories...

It really sucks that your buddies fought in a war for fabricated justifications but instead of making up shit they should probably focus on those that sent them there in the first place.

So they're making up shit because you disagree. I'd love to know what you do/did in the field then to give you such sure knowledge and the confidence to laugh at other people because you're so damn awesome and have undisputable proof that he destroyed it all because if he didn't, apparently we wouldn't have went in otherwise even though we were prepared for that exact scenario nor did it stop us in The Persian Gulf War. So why is everything else hearsay yet your shit with no proof is somehow unequivocally better than anyone that's actually been there, found a weapons cache, reported on the satellite imagery, surveilled comms, etc?

And last I checked, the WikiLeaks article talked about more than just labs but I think you rather argue than read so I'll just let that go just like the rest of this "conversation" consisting of one-liners.

Friends and coworkers in the intelligence field with no reason to lie because they didn't agree with the war either nor did I but I guess you missed that disclaimer at the end since you were too busy typing two sentences while ignoring any real substance.

For the 90th time. My post was originally about chemical weapons and all I said is I really hope none of those could be traced back to Iraq which would've been caused by the invasion.

I'm glad I could provide you with some entertainment while you lose focus about what this thread is about just so you could argue and insult someone.

I never knew this gas even existed. That is really cruel.

Chemical warfare is shitty business. Even Hitler didn't dare use chemical weapons, some say it was because he was the victim of a gas attack during WW1. The Japanese had no issues with using it in China, but didn't use it against the Western Allies out of fear of retaliation. They even had explicit orders from the highest levels not to use chemical weapons in the event of the Japanese mainland being invaded... and they were giving women and children spears by this point!

hym

Banned
I'm glad I could provide you with some entertainment while you lose focus about what this thread is about just so you could argue and insult someone.

I'm still laughing, you or your friends are rewriting history and making world news.

Well World Exclusive on NeoGAF, Iraq had trucks containing something “surprising” that nobody but demolitio's friends know about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom