• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Syrian refugees in Canada got housed in same hotel as VancouFur furry convention

Status
Not open for further replies.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Do you know something that we don't?

It's pretty common knowledge that it is basically a frat house. My friend just got back from working there and 90% of her floor she stayed at were out of money the entire time from going out every week to party. You get college age students from all around the world, who get to live together, work together, and sleep together :O

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I still find it funny that you're in a place that wants to say how "gamers" aren't your stereotypical shut-ins and are willing to go for progressive views, while at the same time harbor stereotypical views to other people who enjoy other interests (furries aren't the only target this place has, you got anime too for instance).

Still glad about the refugees tho!
I'm glad things worked out here, but fursuits are only slightly better than clowns on the creepy scale. If you hobby is both odd and public facing you just have to develop a thick skin. And then put fur on it. And walk around with it on.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
ITT: Nerds making fun of other nerds so that they can feel like their nerd level is somehow better than the other group.
Can't say you're wrong, haha. Reminds me of this classic (apologies for shit quality, just quick and dirty GIS):
geekchart2.gif

while I think that a little playful mocking is appropriate - I mean, we do relentlessly mock Juggalos, body pillow and RealDoll enthusiasts and people with tribal face tattoos, all weird harmless hobbies - some here really take it too far, and I don't even know where that particular connection stems from
I agree with this. I mean I think it's weird myself, but it's all harmless, who cares? And the kids loved it.

When you book a convention, does the hotel ask what kind? Like, at some point did someone have to explain to the hotel staff what a furry is?

brian577

Banned
When you book a convention, does the hotel ask what kind? Like, at some point did someone have to explain to the hotel staff what a furry is?

Furry conventions are usually at the same hotel every year. The largest has a big impact on Pittsburgh''s economy, local businesses love them.

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...convention-returns-to-pittsburgh-furries.html

Anthrocon 2015 (also known as the furry convention) hits the David L. Lawrence Convention Center this weekend. Businesses downtown are already preparing for 6,000 fursuitted guests to arrive.

Visit Pittsburgh estimates that Anthrocon 2015 will bring in $5.7 million in direct spending to the city of Pittsburgh. The furries also collect donations for a local charity every year. This year’s is the Humane Society of Western PA.

Tom Martini, general manager of the Westin hotel, said Anthrocon is always the second or third largest convention for the hotel every year. Martini said there are around 2,300 rooms booked for Anthrocon this year.

The Pittsburgh Business Times stresses just how important the convention is for the area in the summer.

Last year, according to their book of lists, Anthrocon was the sixth largest convention in Pittsburgh, including destination events including the NCAA hockey championship and the Pittsburgh marathon.

“Anthrocon specifically, the furries, tend to be pretty social and get out into the neighborhood and frequent the restaurants and the bars in the area,” said Pittsburgh Business Times research director Ethan Lott. “From talking to them, those establishments expect to see increases in their businesses and they look forward to them coming to town.”

Chariot

I guess so. I mean, aside from all the needless sub culture hatred here, you could try to host a white supremacist convention or an Mussolini memorial meeting. You may want to choose to not associate with stuff like this.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
If your thing is getting sexually aroused by animal human hybrids, and dressing like them in very public situations, just love yourself for who you are, and your like-minded friends for who they are. You're never going to convince people outside of your bubble that what you're doing isn't absolutely hilarious.

I'm into woodworking as a hobby. That's why I mount a fleshlight into the back of every armoire I craft.

the problem is assuming everyone is "in" to that.

I mean, that's like saying every "gamer" are socially inept or misogynistic.

The_Kid

People don't realize how into it the hotel staff get at furry conventions. A lot of them even wear ears or tails.

Course most people going "this is creepy" or "those kids don't know what they're getting into" have no idea what they're talking about anyways...

It's pretty common knowledge that it is basically a frat house. My friend just got back from working there and 90% of her floor she stayed at were out of money the entire time from going out every week to party. You get college age students from all around the world, who get to live together, work together, and sleep together :O

So they have dormitories for Disney park employees/mascots? Seems like an alright summer gig for the younger crowd.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom

Holy fuck I had to google that, it's dubbed Whorelando??

I was very skeptical after seeing pictues in my current girlfriend's photo album, she worked there at 21...

:(

Lautaro

I don't have to be judgemental of furries to say that if I was one of those children I would have been fucking terrified and confused.

Why? for them, they are just people in animal suits, nothing different from what you see at a theme park.

Did Mickey Mouse scared you as a child?

Chariot

Why? for them, they are just people in animal suits, nothing different from what you see at a theme park.

Maybe?
Old photos of Disneyland are scary.

But real talk, all this shiting on furries boils down to prejustice and bigotry from people who saw a few smutty pictures and are quick to jump on rumours based on a small group of people in a much bigger sub culture, ignoring the sea of innocent content and people who simply enjoy a hobby.

Thats nice for the kids.

If they want to fully immerse themselves in Canadian culture, they need to hit up the maple syrup festival.

No, people in weird costumes with disturbing faces did though iirc. I mean, scare is probably the wrong word, but I wouldn't have been hugging them.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
If furries actually don't mostly bang each other in those suits then I have been severely mislead. I thought that's what it was.

The Wall

Banned
The kids probably felt like they came across a character-con convention. They probably loved it and it made coming to Canada a bit Disneyland-like. And if they don't understand English well yet, the parents won't have to worry about explaining further furry aspects..

The only "problem" I've ever personally had with furries was a couple obsessively targeting/harassing me to be sexually involved with them, trying to abuse me into a threesome/their sex life, and repeatedly badgering me over "what animal I would be". That really put me off because they seemed to have an intentional inability to accept that I wasn't going to be playing their games.

Thinly veiled attempt to chase them out of the country.

Who the Syrian's or the Furries?

It must be very confusing to come from a relatively secular environment where such a thing is at best underground if not completely no existent in syria, to move into a hotel where people are in various stage of animal costume and/or belief they are an animal/want to be an animal/ like the idea of cosplay

Chariot

If furries actually don't mostly bang each other in those suits then I have been severely mislead. I thought that's what it was.
You are misled. As people said, those suits are mostly fucking expensive, you don't want to stain it with sexual fluids. Surely there are some who do it for the kink, no doubt about that, but it isn't the majority.

Weckum

Of course the comments are amazing as always:

I like Canada and the Canadian people, but they are too nice for their own good. Letting significant numbers of Muslims into their country will, eventually, back-fire on them. They think they are doing the right thing, but this is just the tip of the mountain. God help the Canadians.

"This is how Canada greets refugees" - wait til they start raping your children!

Is he talking about the refugees or furries?

Deft Beck

I don't have to be judgemental of furries to say that if I was one of those children I would have been fucking terrified and confused.

You're projecting your misconception of the fandom as an adult onto the mind of a kid, who is probably thrilled to see a giant, multicolored animal they can play with.

Maybe?
Old photos of Disneyland are scary.

But real talk, all this shiting on furries boils down to prejustice and bigotry from people who saw a few smutty pictures and are quick to jump on rumours based on a small group of people in a much bigger sub culture, ignoring the sea of innocent content and people who simply enjoy a hobby.

Exactly. I once heard an analogy: Furry is like enjoying blueberry pies and sharing recipes with others who like blueberry pies, but then a subgroup comes out that fucks the pies and everyone thinks that's what the entire hobby is about.

Not all all. It's like cosplay.

Humans that think they are animals. What will they come up with next?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Exactly. I once heard an analogy: Furry is like enjoying blueberry pies and sharing recipes with others who like blueberry pies, but then a subgroup comes out that fucks the pies and everyone thinks that's what the entire hobby is about.

Sounds like some American Pie fan fiction!

frequency

Judging the entire furry community as sexual miscreants based on the few who sexualize it is like judging the entire gaming community based on fans of games like DOAX3, Senran Kagura, etc.

And honestly, what community/fandom doesn't have a subset of people that sexualize it?

marrec

Banned
It's cool that the kids had fun.

And shitting on Furries is boring, let them be into their weird thing.

It doesn't help that the faces on fursuits are all creepy looking though.

I was actually at the convention and I can tell you that many of us were very happy and enjoyed hanging out and playing with the kids, giving them high fives and hugs. Many of us were hesitant to think this would go over well with them, but that quickly faded away when the kids saw us. In my honest opinion, this brings a lot of levity and hope to their situation than anything. A sense of warmth and comfort that everything will be alight in this new place.

Salbug

Hmmm, do I even want to read the majority of this thread. Apparently not according to what I'm reading just from this page alone.

Anyway I looked more into this earlier today. Saw some pretty heartwarming and awesome videos as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom