• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Syrian refugees in Canada got housed in same hotel as VancouFur furry convention

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demoskinos

Syrian refugees in Canada have been personally welcomed into the country at Vancouver airport by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, they have been welcomed by children in a video saying “see you in school,” and now they have been welcomed by Furries.

The fifth annual VancouFur convention, in which people dress up as fictional anthropomorphic animal characters with human personalities and characteristics, was held at the same hotel where a number of Syrian refugees are currently being housed.

A message was given to all attendees at the convention that the hotel had been chosen as one of the temporary housing locations for the Syrian refugees in Canada, and that “a major concern that VancouFur has is ensuring that each and every one of the refugees (and attendees) feels welcome and safe and the fact that this is likely to be a major shock to them”.

Keep in mind that they likely will not want to interact with you and consent is important to everyone,” the message added.

But luckily for everyone involved, the refugees – especially the children – loved it.

Photos from the event show Syrian children playing with the furries or posing for pictures with them.

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/syrian-refugees-in-canada-got-housed-in-same-hotel-as-vancoufur-furry-convention-and-the-children-a6921341.html

As an american it makes me goddamned ashamed of my country that we can't do the same. Props to the Canadian Furry community for doing some good here. <3

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Thinly veiled attempt to chase them out of the country.

I'd get on the first flight back to Syria...

G5UXUmu.png

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
As an american it makes me goddamned ashamed of my country that we can't do the same. Props to the Canadian Furry community for doing some good here. <3
America is the land of freedom, but Canada is the land of furry-dom.

Davidion

Is this...heart warming...? I want to say it's heart warming but...oh god, something feels itchy... ugh what is that feeling...?!

Chariot

The videos are super adorable, what a fortunate coincidence to have nice furries entertaining the children. I am sure they appreciate the friendly people.

Nibel

Reading the headline I feared the worst but those videos are actually cool, the kids seem to love it

Moonlight

Banned
Cool gesture. Glad that the attendees were so mindful of the situation, and that it seems the kids got to enjoy themselves.

CDX

So Syrian refugee children ended up in the middle of a furry convention and the children took photos with furries.

oh lol

I guess that went better than expected. But I'm also guessing if those Syrian parents were more aware of what furries are they would have been more hesitant. But I'm glad it seemingly went well.

Syriel

Those children don't know how creepy those photos are lol

Thinly veiled attempt to chase them out of the country.

Good god no.

It's no different than kids posing for photos with costumed characters at Disneyland.

Good on the convention goers for making the kids feel welcome. As refugees they've had their world turned upside down. For the kids this was probably a rather fun experience.

If you're a kid and just old enough to be aware that your family is fleeing from a literal warzone so you don't end up like your dead relatives, getting off the airport and being hugged by a room full of giant stuffed animals must be the goddamn best feeling in the world.

GhostBed

Kinda hilarious, but also very cool for the kids to have an awesome time. Despite the weirdness of furries in general, this is a situation where they can be used to brighten people's day.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
How about this, the syrian refugees can come to canada, and we can ship the furries to syria. Win win.

Syf

Banned
If you're a kid and just old enough to be aware that your family is fleeing from a literal warzone so you don't end up like your dead relatives, getting off the airport and being hugged by a room full of giant stuffed animals must be the goddamn best feeling in the world.
Yeah really, I think it's cool for these kids.

brian577

Banned
I guess that went better than expected. But I'm also guessing if those Syrian parents were more aware of what furries are they would have been more hesitant. But I'm glad it seemingly went well.

What exactly are furries? I didn't realize a fanbase that encompasses a wide range of subjects and ideas were all the same on some horrible fundamental level.

Deft Beck

Care to explain what they are, in your mind?

How about this, the syrian refugees can come to canada, and we can ship the furries to syria. Win win.

A little harsh.

What exactly are furries? I didn't realize a fanbase that encompasses a wide range of subjects and ideas were all the same on some horrible fundamental level.

It's a generalization and an easy way to shitpost in furry threads.

Dabanton

Furries are fun. Although this is a little weird knowing what many of them are into.

But for these kids it's people in brightly coloured costumes.

Chuck

Still without luck
Such a sweet story that the typical ignorace present in this thread won't change that.

Good on Canada!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom