• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Syrian refugees in Canada got housed in same hotel as VancouFur furry convention

Status
Not open for further replies.

orochi91

CdADgviWEAAvDVg.jpg

Creepy AF

This is adorable.

I wish the other refugee children, still mired in the conflict(s) back in their homelands, could experience this as well.

Prax

This is cute. Glad the children had fun!

I think too many people conflate furries and sexuality as a given.
Humans in general are sexual, you know.. but it's not like all cosplayers/actors in costume/people on halloween just have sexy times on their mind.

Anyway, I think I have a general distaste for how many fursuit faces are made. I know they try to get ones with a certain cartoony suave, but they usually aren't well-designed in my eyes, leading to an uncanny creep factor. XD (Same can be said for most lower-priced, non professional masks, actually!).

Chuck

Still without luck
Lmao the furries in this thread that can't take a joke. I can't.

It's a nice gesture to entertain the children, though.

Furries can take plenty of jokes and have for a long time, I assure you. It's the rampant ignorance and shitposting that gets to us.

Is this furry thing something sexual, or why are the reactions here the way they are?

They have become associated with sex. Some may blame the MTV documentary on furries as part of the Sek2K/True Life series. I know at least at my high school it was widely talked about and everyone's introduction to furry subculture.

Anyway, I think I have a general distaste for how many fursuit faces are made. I know they try to get ones with a certain cartoony suave, but they usually aren't well-designed in my eyes, leading to an uncanny creep factor. XD (Same can be said for most lower-priced, non professional masks, actually!).
I wonder how different the mainstream perception would be if most suits looked like this instead of like Balto with as many neon colors as possible.

tumblr_nbpt05oiub1tl0qfho6_500.jpg

Furries have become associated with sex. Some may blame the MTV documentary on furries as part of the Sek2K/True Life series.
Hm.
I've heard the term "furry" befor but never bothered to look into it, so to me this doesn't look any more or less creepy than kids taking picture with Mickey Mouse and the other guys in Disney Land.

Do these people identify as animals or do they just like to dress as them?

I think.. no one would be particularly thrilled as a group to be implied to be connected to pedophilia... :l Even as a joke.

I didn't see a lot of that, I saw a lot of "oh those poor children" style posts though. Thought it was referring to how obnoxious most furries are at conventions/expos.

Hm.
I've heard the term "furry" befor but never bothered to look into it, so to me this doesn't look any more or less creepy than kids taking picture with Mickey Mouse and the other guys in Disney Land.

Most don't even dressup in these full body suits. It's stupid expensive (up to several thousand US dollars a suit) and a lot don't get anything out of it. Of those who do do the whole fursuit thing I would presume the majority are sane and just enjoy it the same way some enjoy to cosplay. However there are some that are particularly... eccentric, and identify as animals. I tend to think those individuals are just an act for my own sanity.

Hm.

It's not binary like that, there's an entire spectrum that ranges from "likes the aesthetic" to "wants to fuck anthropomorphic animals".

Deft Beck

They have become associated with sex. Some may blame the MTV documentary on furries as part of the Sek2K/True Life series. I know at least at my high school it was widely talked about and everyone's introduction to furry subculture.

Is this furry thing something sexual, or why are the reactions here the way they are?

People like to get their opinions from pop culture instead of the various accounts from people inside the scene who say otherwise.

Lmao the furries in this thread that can't take a joke. I can't.

It's a nice gesture to entertain the children, though.

It just comes across as childish mockery.

Why is this even a thread if everyone is just going to reply "aw that's cute". This whole thing is a joke thread, no need to take it personally.

Why make any threads? It's a good gesture, even if the negative reactions from people are putting a damper on the discussion.

Prax

I wonder how different the mainstream perception would be if most suits looked like this instead of like Balto with as many neon colors as possible.

tumblr_nbpt05oiub1tl0qfho6_500.jpg

Yeah! A big problem is poor design! Much like a failed cosplay costume leads to side-eyeing, the same can be said of a poorly made fursuit! How unflattering it is brings up the cringe factor. Unfortunately, executing a successful "look" takes a lot of money and aesthetic sense.

I didn't see a lot of that, I saw a lot of "oh those poor children" style posts though. Thought it was referring to how obnoxious most furries are at conventions/expos.
I can assure you that most people think it's weird and obnoxious because they connect it to possible sexual content (or some maligned assumptions about how desperate/horny this subgroup is, much like a gamer/anime fan might be thought of). lol
The fact that people are making fun of this with the extra idea of the "innocence of these poor children" implies a seediness toward the children that is pretty rude.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

This is funny to say as most furries at their conventions are nowhere near as bad as many of the comic/scifi/etc. style conventions I've visited. I've been to both and while some furries can be obnoxious they tend to be a bit more respectful and controlled in public, maybe because they know their is a stigma hanging around their fandom.

Where as the last comic book convention I went to there were tons of sexual harassment complaints by many cos players male and female. I straight up saw a dude dressed as Deadpool shoving his katana's between female cos players legs. So say what you will about furries but acknowledge there is a lot of shit done at other nerdy conventions that as is bad, if not worse. I believe the cherry on top of the shit Sunday was the fact that convention did apparently nothing at all about the complaints except some announcements over the PA about respecting personal space.

People like to get their opinions from pop culture instead of the various accounts from people inside the scene who say otherwise.

Well as someone who visits furry outlets (and hell, used to role-play online as an anthropomorphic 'furry'-like thing) there is no denying the amount of sexualization on display. Not that there's anything wrong with it, our wider culture can benefit from being more open and less conservative when it comes to sex. But that doesn't make those looking in from outside not see it as different and sexually charged.

Socreges

Banned
So Syrian refugee children ended up in the middle of a furry convention and the children took photos with furries.

oh lol

I guess that went better than expected. But I'm also guessing if those Syrian parents were more aware of what furries are they would have been more hesitant. But I'm glad it seemingly went well.
Exactly. THAT'S the culture shock. Humans dressed up as animals, in and of itself, is innocuous. It's why many do it that may give certain Syrian parents pause.

KRod-57

Banned
Strange way to be introduced to your new country, but it's good to see the kids had fun with it. Here in California new arrivals are often given free trips to Disneyland

Deft Beck

Well as someone who visits furry outlets (and hell, used to role-play online as an anthropomorphic 'furry'-like thing) there is no denying the amount of sexualization on display. Not that there's anything wrong with it, our wider culture can benefit from being more open and less conservative when it comes to sex. But that doesn't make those looking in from outside not see it as different and sexually charged.

Yeah, but it's not on display in this instance at all.

Exactly. THAT'S the culture shock. Humans dressed up as animals, in and of itself, is innocuous. It's why many do it that may give certain Syrian parents pause.

The most common reason why people fursuit is because it's fun.

Also, you act as if they're going to encounter them more than in this specific instance.

Just let the kids have fun. They've been through a lot.

jstripes

Banned
It's weird how liberal and open GAF seems to be on the whole. Except when it comes to anime and furries. That shit's just not OK.

Although I still think furries are weird, my negative opinion of them has been supplanted by a negative opinion of bronies.

Thank goodness those refugees didn't share a hotel with a brony convention.

brian577

Banned
Although I still think furries are weird, my negative opinion of them has been supplanted by a negative opinion of bronies.

Thank goodness those refugees didn't share a hotel with a brony convention.

So you've moved on from irrationally hating one group of people to irrationally hating another? Progress!

MayMay

Banned
What a cute and nice gesture, reminds me of the fursuiters that visit retirement homes to brighten the day of the people there. The kids clearly had a good time.

Some of the comments in here on the other hand...

it really isn't though. it doesn't look any different from kids taking a picture with goofy at disneyland.

Goofy is a paid employee which Disney is liable for. These people are dressing up in these suits as a hobby and are guests of the hotel. Its is very different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom