• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taco Bell Delivers Tacos via Helicopter to Bethel Alaska.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeke

Banned
After Hoax, It’s Taco Bell to the Rescue
Bethel Alaska thought they were getting a Taco Bell, but it was cruel prank, so Taco Bell stepped in to lift their spirits.

When you have a hankering for a Doritos Locos Taco, nothing else will do. Unfortunately for residents of a small Alaskan town, satisfying that craving means making a flight to Anchorage — some 400 miles away. That’s why folks in Bethel, Alaska were thrilled when flyers began to appear around town announcing the arrival of their very own Taco Bell. Sadly those flyers turned out to be a hoax — and residents were left, once again, bereft of destinations for an emergency 2 a.m. nacho bell grande fix.

(MORE: Taco Bell Introducing More Upscale Menu Items)

Taco Bell executives learned of the hoax and decided to play Enchirito hero and fly in a feast. According to MSNBC, the company airlifted enough ingredients from Anchorage to make 10,000 Doritos Locos Tacos. “If we can feed people in Afghanistan and Iraq, we can feed people in Bethel,” company CEO Greg Creed told MSNBC. The effort, which Taco Bell dubbed “Operation Alaska,” was a savvy marketing move and a delicious dinner all rolled into one, burrito style. The operation garnered thousands of Facebook likes and fans were able to follow the long-distance delivery as Taco Bell tweeted out a a series of photos of the air drop.

The 6,200 residents of Bethel get to divide up the 950 pounds of seasoned beef, 300 pounds of lettuce, 150 pounds of cheddar cheese, 500 pounds of reduced fat sour cream and 300 pounds of tomatoes that the Taco Bell donated for the free town feast.

So where did the rumor start that Taco Bell was coming to Bethel in the first place? The hoax started as a juvenile prank, where flyers were posted around the town, about 40 miles up the Kuskokwim River from the Bering Sea, announcing the opening and including a phone number to call to inquire about job openings. The number belonged to the prankster’s victim. While the victim may have had a lot of unwelcome phone calls, it was the whole town of Bethel who got hurt. Luckily Taco Bell knows a good customer service deed when it sees one and was there to save the day.

taco-bell-truck-alaska.jpg

I know this has been mentioned before in the hoax thread but now that they've made it an official commercial I think it deserves more discussion.

Yeah in the end it may be good marketing for them and Taco Bell isn't gourmet cuisine but I still think it's pretty damn awesome that they did this.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/07/04/after-hoax-its-taco-bell-to-the-rescue/

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Can't really hate on them for this. Taco Bell has been on the ball, PR wise lately.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Shame they weren't spared the burning liquid shits.

Really, before this weekend I thought that whole thing was just exaggerated but will I ever eat there again? Nope nope nope.

Who am I kidding though...

Izick

We don't have a taco bell around here anymore so this could come in handy. Probably could just replace all Ambulances with Dorito Locos Tacos trucks as well.

Despite the inevitable influx of cynical posters claiming that it was just for the attention, what needs to be taken away from this is that Taco Bell just fed an entire small town for free, and that's pretty cool.

Xeke

Banned
Meanwhile Josh Freeman on a plane...

OtLSk.jpg

He'd be the second largest celebrity after Taco Bell to visit the town.

Despite the inevitable influx of cynical posters claiming that it was just for the attention, what needs to be taken away from this is that Taco Bell just fed an entire small town for free, and that's pretty cool.

That's my thought. Yes it may be good PR and marketing but I have to think that the people who thought this also wanted to bring a little joy to the town. Call me gullible.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Your post inspires in me the very cynicism that you feared ;)

So Taco Bell are a bunch of humanitarians for feeding a whole town garbage food?

I guess if we're thinking like that, the hot chicks who hand out Nos energy drinks at sporting events are kind of like modern day Mother Teresas :p

Awesome marketing, though.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
It's the closest thing to mexican food that town will ever get.

Tacos aren't mexican... while I was in Mexico they didn't even know what the heck a "taco" was.

Burritos are mexican food. But tacos are just american food we pretend is mexican.

Irnbru

Tacos aren't mexican... while I was in Mexico they didn't even know what the heck a "taco" was.

Burritos are mexican food. But tacos are just american food we pretend is mexican.

You do know burritos were invented here right? You do know that tacos are mexican, this is like, a reverse what the fuck. Which makes me think you are attempting to be an elaborate troll, as such, go right ahead.

Seanspeed

Banned
They were obviously having a laugh. Poor you comes back and says 'Tacos aren't Mexican'. lol Its a shame they aren't here to see the fruit of their joke.

AntoneM

You do know burritos were invented here right? You do know that tacos are mexican, this is like, a reverse what the fuck. Which makes me think you are attempting to be an elaborate troll, as such, go right ahead.

You got served... delicious food that may or may not be of Mexican origin but developed in Southwest America and/or Northwest Mexico

Link

The Autumn Wind
Might as well ask this here: How are those new Cantina burritos? If I'm a fan of Chipotle, how do they compare?

he 6,200 residents of Bethel get to divide up the 950 pounds of seasoned beef, 300 pounds of lettuce, 150 pounds of cheddar cheese, 500 pounds of reduced fat sour cream and 300 pounds of tomatoes that the Taco Bell donated for the free town feast.

The ratio of beef(?) to sour cream is disturbing.

Clipse

Had the new chicken Cantina Bowl for lunch today. Was actually pretty good and the portion was pretty big for $5.

Srsly

Banned
Why does Taco Bell taste so good to me even though I recognize the ingredients are shit? Volcano tacos are pretty much mouth orgasms.

akira28

that's a tripe taco, isn't it, up there? I've never seen one before, but that has to be what that stuff is...

can't do a tripe taco...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Total BS. I've had plenty of tacos in Mexico. Where the fuck did you go?

painey

they are completely remodeling my local burger king and taco bell. I have no idea why, especially the outer remodel because it looked fine. I quite fancy a taco now.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Might as well ask this here: How are those new Cantina burritos? If I'm a fan of Chipotle, how do they compare?
So I tried the steak one today, and to answer my own question, it's... not bad. Chipotle is definitely better, but for what it is, I'd eat it again. I like the way they grill the burrito, similar to a Crunchwrap. It does, however, need some kind of dairy in there. Cheese or sour cream would add a lot, I feel. Considering it's just $5, and that includes the guacamole, you could definitely do a lot worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom