• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces (Wii) Tales of VS (PSP), Tales of Vesperia (PS3) JP sites open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrowa

Rpgmonkey said:
Sofie
She suffers from memory loss. Her name is related to Asbel. Voiced by Kana Hanazawa.
Wow, she sounds as interesting as uhm, well, a breathing cow. Yeah, a cow that breathes.

Bluth54

gantz85 said:
Did it really take that long to port? :lol Plus the new content isn't all that much..
I imagine most of the team is working on Tales of Graces and they only had a small group working on the PS3 port.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/993/993486p1.html

Latest on Tales
Release dates, heroines and more for the new Tales games.
by John Tanaka

June 10, 2009 - Namco Bandai announced three Tales series games simultaneously, and now whenever we get an update on one, it seems the other two follow.

The latest on Tales of Vesperia PS3, Tales of Graces and Tales of Versus comes from the usual source: leaked information from Jump Magazine.

For PS3's Vesperia the magazine confirms a final Japanese release date of September 17. Namco Bandai is working some magic for the PS3 version and has somehow managed to add pirate Patty to the opening anime sequence. It's good that they're putting in the effort, as Japanese players are going to have to pay 7,800 yen for the game. That's about 80 bucks, but it's the same price 360 owners had to pay.

For Wii's Tales of Graces, the magazine offers a first look at the heroine, Sophie. She joins Asbel as the only characters revealed so far for the game. Sophie has lost her memory when she first meets Asbel. The name "Sophie" is actually something Asbel decided to give her.

Screens in the magazine show the two characters fighting alongside one another. Aside from that, Namco Bandai is keeping very quiet on this particular installment, which is one of the main "mothership" titles for the franchise.

Finally, the Tales of Versus update. As usual, the new information concerns new characters. Joining the growing cast of playable combatants in this Tales series fighter are Rita (from Vesperia), Tear Grants (Abyss), Kyle Dunamis (Destiny 2), Senel Coolidge (Legendia), Lloyd Irving (Symphonia) and Colette Brunelle (Symphonia).

Versus will lead off this season's Tales fun with a Japanese release set for August 8.

Akai

Just saw the art of the Graces' heroine...She's got as unique a fashion style as Asbel! I still like it, though...

The interesting thing is that it looks like she has a fist-fighting style...Wait a second, where have I seen a purple-haired girl in pigtails with "brass knuckle" gear?

3483tlh.jpg

:lol

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
My condolences about the heroine, Jiggy. I love that other girl's design too. D:

At least that news is counterbalanced by playable Rita in Tales of VS, which is awesome. I honestly had my doubts that she'd make it in at all.

Jiggy

Rita! Now if they just happen to have Zelos in VS, that'll complete my favorite four Tales characters list. I'm not willing to hold out hope for Raven or Natalia to round out my top seven (along with Kratos, who's already in), though. :p

And I don't care if Best Girl Design Ever isn't the Graces heroine--I just want her to be playable. She could always be a late party member who happens to make early appearances like Natalia--right? Right?
please :(

(Actually, as long as she is still playable, I'm kind of happy she's not the heroine since Tales writers usually try to play their two main characters very seriously and straightforward, which has yet to work out for me unless you count Farah as serious. I only like the characters whose dialogue consists of nothing more than either:

1. A very drawn-out string of lies and secrecy lasting practically the entire game
2. Blurting out inane, tangential quips which nobody understands or pays attention to except them
3. Both)

cress2000 said:
The more days that pass where none of this is announced for US, the more annoyed I get. Especially post-E3.

It's Tales. Expect nothing and be surprised when/if something ever happens.

Akai

cress2000 said:
The more days that pass where none of this is announced for US, the more annoyed I get. Especially post-E3.

Well Graces is early next year in Japan, so we'll be lucky if it's localized by next Christmas, and I'm really not holding my breath on Vesperia PS3 considering they didn't even localize Symphonia PS2...Versus can go either way really...Perhaps they'll see Dissidia as an opening...

jeremy1456

Akai said:
Well Graces is early next year in Japan, so we'll be lucky if it's localized by next Christmas, and I'm really not holding my breath on Vesperia PS3 considering they didn't even localize Symphonia PS2...Versus can go either way really...Perhaps they'll see Dissidia as an opening...

I really truly think Versus will make it over here too.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Hell yeah, Tales of Versus has Rita, Tear and Collette.

Judith is already announced, so we need Sheena to complete the "buxom team Symphonia" trio.

cress2000

Akai said:
My annoyance pretty much extends to Hearts and Radiant Mythology 2 as well. Either of those or both could be readied for the latter parts of the year, but the fact that they already announced Magna Carta 2 doesn't leave me with much confidence. :/

I also seem to recall the Versus trailer having some strangely good English (aside from a typo), and referring to ToS Wii by the US title for some reason, but it's probably not wise to draw any conclusions from that...

jeremy1456

Shadow780 said:
So no Tales of Vesperia for NA announcement yet?

No.

I'm sure such an announcement would warrant it's own thread, so you don't have to keep checking up on this thread week after week in disappointment.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
cress2000 said:
My annoyance pretty much extends to Hearts and Radiant Mythology 2 as well. Either of those or both could be readied for the latter parts of the year, but the fact that they already announced Magna Carta 2 doesn't leave me with much confidence. :/

I also seem to recall the Versus trailer having some strangely good English (aside from a typo), and referring to ToS Wii by the US title for some reason, but it's probably not wise to draw any conclusions from that...

Every Tales of game that has been released in NA has done so within 1 year of its original Japanese release. Now that E3 is over we can probably safetly say that Hearts and Radiant Mythology 2 are not coming. Likewise the chance of Vesperia PS3 coming over grows dimmer by the day. VS has a small chance of making it if only because it was copyrighted in the west and has english writing in the trailer (though why Namco would release a fanservice fighter after skipping so many of the featured game I'll never know). Graces, of course, is basically guarenteed as its a 3D Tales on a console.

cress2000

grandjedi6 said:
Every Tales of game that has been released in NA has done so within 1 year of its original Japanese release. Now that E3 is over we can probably safetly say that Hearts and Radiant Mythology 2 are not coming. Likewise the chance of Vesperia PS3 coming over grows dimmer by the day. VS has a small chance of making it if only because it was copyrighted in the west and has english writing in the trailer (though why Namco would release a fanservice fighter after skipping so many of the featured game I'll never know). Graces, of course, is basically guarenteed as its a 3D Tales on a console.
I get extra irritated because I'm a Tales game fan translator. They skip out on so much stuff that it's already pretty much impossible to pick up all their slack. Plus, due to standardization, the official localizations prove to be an invaluable resource in how to deal with certain items in these projects.

Oh my God the loli is the heroine, and an AMNESIAC to boot!
D:

Wait, so this will make the red-head one of the supporting cast and not the lead couple.
This is good, I always liked the minor/supporting characters better that the lead character.
Oh man the chances of her dying is actually rising because of this news.
And she might be the disco dude's sister.
Now why didn't i think of this possibility before :\

Prax

Maybe he's just on a mission to save his sister then? XD
She'll be a playable character... eventually!

I am not a fan of pigtails but at least loli girl SEEMS fully-dressed... so...

Rpgmonkey

SilverLunar said:
D:

On the bright side, it doesn't seem like they copied her completely from the "how to make a JRPG" book, since she doesn't seem like a healer/mage with a heart of gold.

RetroMG

What are the odds on Vesperia PS3 making it to Europe?

I'll gladly import it if I have even the slightest chance of understanding it.

Prax said:
Maybe he's just on a mission to save his sister then? XD
She'll be a playable character... eventually!

I am not a fan of pigtails but at least loli girl SEEMS fully-dressed... so...
Its a Team Destiny/Mutsumi Inomata design. How many of them aren't fully dressed?

Rpgmonkey said:
On the bright side, it doesn't seem like they copied her completely from the "how to make a JRPG" book, since she doesn't seem like a healer/mage with a heart of gold.

Calints Neos said:
But this is a Tales game, they have to follow tradition.

Again, its a Team Destiny game.

People need to realize that there are two main categories of Tales games out there, and only one of them tends to get localized.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
RetroGamer42 said:
What are the odds on Vesperia PS3 making it to Europe?

I'll gladly import it if I have even the slightest chance of understanding it.
The 360 version of Vesperia hasn't even come out in Europe yet. So what do you think?

darkhunger said:
People need to realize that there are two main categories of Tales games out there, and only one of them tends to get localized.
That's only coincedental though.

darkhunger said:
Its a Team Destiny/Mutsumi Inomata design. How many of them aren't fully dressed?

Again, its a Team Destiny game.

ok so let me get this strait.

There are two main teams making Tales games, one is this Destiny Team and the other is something Team.

If i am searching correctly this Destiny Team games have never been localized outside of japan but the other something Team games does.

ToG is made by this Destiny guys.

Therefore it won't get localized.

Is that what you are getting at??
(note that i am no expert in BN and i have never played any Tales game)

Firestorm

Every Team Destiny game thus far has been 2D. Every 3D home console Tales has been localized. There's a very good chance we'll get Graces.

wrowa

SilverLunar said:
ok so let me get this strait.

There are two main teams making Tales games, one is this Destiny Team and the other is something Team.

If i am searching correctly this Destiny Team games have never been localized outside of japan but the other something Team games does.

ToG is made by this Destiny guys.

Therefore it won't get localized.

Yep, there are two Tales teams: Team Destiny and Team Symphonia (that is not completely true anymore since staff of both teams worked on Tales of Hearts and some Team Symphonia member worked together with a bunch of new people on Tales of Symphonia 2, but basically it's true). You got everything right! But that doesn't change that his logic is flawed: while it is true that no Team Destiny Tales game has been localized, that's mainly because they only made 2D PS2 games until now. Tales of Graces is their first 3D game and it would really surprise me if Namco isn't going to publish it outside of Japan.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
SilverLunar said:
D:

Wait, so this will make the red-head one of the supporting cast and not the lead couple.
This is good, I always liked the minor/supporting characters better that the lead character.
Oh man the chances of her dying is actually rising because of this news.
And she might be the disco dude's sister.
Now why didn't i think of this possibility before :\
well, the loli chick could be the sister of disco dude instead, as being a heroine isn't mutually exclusive to being the love interest. it would make more sense as well, considering the "her name is related to Asbel" deal.

so we have to possibilities, that DISCO DUDE is a pedo and has a bang'n sister (who will totally fall for the awesome/suave guy everyone here will actually relate to), or he's a big brother and an eye for a fine lady on the side. personally, i'd prefer the first, since DISCO DUDE is probably no different than every other whiny ass tales of hero in existence.

SilverLunar said:

wrowa said:
Yep, there are two Tales teams: Team Destiny and Team Symphonia (that is not completely true anymore since staff of both teams worked on Tales of Hearts and some Team Symphonia member worked together with a bunch of new people on Tales of Symphonia 2, but basically it's true). You got everything right! But that doesn't change that his logic is flawed: while it is true that no Team Destiny Tales game has been localized, that's mainly because they only made 2D PS2 games until now. Tales of Graces is their first 3D game and it would really surprise me if Namco isn't going to publish it outside of Japan.

Umm... People are completely missing my point. (seriously, do people actually read what someone is responding to nowadays?)

I wasn't saying anything about ToG not being localized, on the contrary. I was saying that people are making generalizations about the game based on their previous experiences with the series, when actuality they have never actually experienced this part of the series at all.

For example, Sophie as a martial artist heroine has actually been done a few times before on the Team Destiny games. Yet people act as if its the first time we didn't get a mage/healer with the personality of a cardboard box (which is only prevalent in Team Symphonia games)

So my point was that people need to understand that what they assume about the Tales series should be thrown out the window with this game (unless they've played Team Destiny games before, of course).

Akai

doomed1 said:
well, the loli chick could be the sister of disco dude instead, as being a heroine isn't mutually exclusive to being the love interest. it would make more sense as well, considering the "her name is related to Asbel" deal.

I think that's a mistranslation...Because she's lost her memories, Asbel gives her the name Sophie...

Rpgmonkey

darkhunger said:
Umm... People are completely missing my point. (seriously, do people actually read what someone is responding to nowadays?)

I wasn't saying anything about ToG not being localized, on the contrary. I was saying that people are making generalizations about the game based on their previous experiences with the series, when actuality they have never actually experienced this part of the series at all.

For example, Sophie as a martial artist heroine has actually been done a few times before on the Team Destiny games. Yet people act as if its the first time we didn't get a mage/healer with the personality of a cardboard box (which is only prevalent in Team Symphonia games)

So my point was that people need to understand that what they assume about the Tales series should be thrown out the window with this game (unless they've played Team Destiny games before, of course).

I know who's making this game, and I've played every Team Destiny game.

It doesn't make it anymore unique that she's not a healer/mage with a heart of gold, considering even Team Destiny uses at least the latter personality trait pretty often for their heroines.

Akai said:
I think that's a mistranslation...Because she's lost her memories, Asbel gives her the name Sophie...

While it's possible it won't, I doubt the name is going to end up having no significance to Asbel. I shall fix it though.

Rpgmonkey said:
It doesn't make it anymore unique that she's not a healer/mage with a heart of gold, considering even Team Destiny uses at least the latter personality trait pretty often for their heroines.
Of course its not unique, that was my whole point. The martial artist heroine archtype has been done several times before in Team Destiny games. Whereas the trend of the posts seems to have been "WOW a non-healer/mage heroine in a Tales game!!! OMG!"

Akai

Rpgmonkey said:
While it's possible it won't, I doubt the name is going to end up having no significance to Asbel. I shall fix it though.

Oh I have no doubt that the name Sophie holds some meaning to Asbel (possibly being the name of the person he lost), I meant that the mistranslation gave the impression that Sophie is related by blood to Asbel...

Rpgmonkey

darkhunger said:
Of course its not unique, that was my whole point. The martial artist heroine archtype has been done several times before in Team Destiny games. Whereas the trend of the posts seems to have been "WOW a non-healer/mage heroine in a Tales game!!! OMG!"

Sorry, meant "any less unique".

And it's not the healer/mage part for me, it's that so far, she doesn't seem like some pure innocent soul that's all for trying to help anyone and everyone, which is a Tales heroine trait that pops up often, regardless of the team behind it.

Rpgmonkey said:
And it's not the healer/mage part for me, it's that so far, she doesn't seem like some pure innocent soul that's all for trying to help anyone and everyone, which is a Tales heroine trait that pops up often, regardless of the team behind it.
Well, I disagree on that. While yes, just about every Tales heroine has been nice girls in general, Team Destiny heroines tend to be less pure & innocent than Team Symphonia ones. There are clear differences in terms of depth and personality between characters like Rutee, Farah, Reala and Kohaku, and, say, Mint, Colette and Estelle.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Akai said:
i see, so it looks like red-head is the bang'n sister of DISCO DUDE. good, so we can now officially not give half a shit about DISCO DUDE'S whining and instead love the charismatic, suave friend for getting with Red.

HORRAY! EVERYONE WINS. AND BY EVERYONE I MEAN ME AND JIGGY (probably).

Wizpig

What i can say is that the Tales of series is a complete MESS in the western market, especially in Europe.

Grandjedi explained well the situation, anyway:
grandjedi6 said:
Likewise the chance of Vesperia PS3 coming over grows dimmer by the day. VS has a small chance of making it if only because it was copyrighted in the west and has english writing in the trailer (though why Namco would release a fanservice fighter after skipping so many of the featured game I'll never know). Graces, of course, is basically guarenteed as its a 3D Tales on a console.
And let me add, Graces is guaranteed in both the US and PAL market because it is for a Nintendo home console.
Sure, they completely ignored the To games for the DS, don't ask me why, but Nintendo always helped, Symphonia was published by Nintendo for the European market... on the contrary, Tales of games on a Sony console is a bad thing. [No US/PAL Ps2 Symphonia, no PAL Abyss...]

Rpgmonkey

Tales of Festival started, some notes:

-Eugene, Presea, and Harold appear to have been confirmed for VS
-Minigame in VS, called "Tales of Wallbreaker"
-The Tales of Vesperia Movie is releasing October 3rd.
-For preordering Tales of Vesperia, you get a product code with a Luke costume for Flynn, an Asch costume for Yuri, and a Tear costume for Estelle.
-They've shown the boxart for ToV (I assume that all it is another group drawing with Patty in it, but we'll see).

Supposedly the artist for Grace's opening song is Ikimono Gakari, but I think some stuff we might have to wait for confirmation on some stuff whenever famitsu.com or something reports from the event.

Rpgmonkey

AceBandage said:
Hope we get some new ToG videos out of it.

There was a new trailer. No idea when they'll make it public. I have a feeling the teaser website's finally going to open this week though, so maybe the trailer will be there too.

And the red-haired girl might have been confirmed as a party member. She's apparently shown in gameplay in the trailer.

Red-head: Spears and Rapiers. Styles are "sweep" and "thrust"
Sophie: Chakrams and guns. Styles are "throw" and "shoot".

TreIII

The more I hear about Versus, the more I so want it. Time to pre-order....my PSP will appreciate having another game that will incite me to play it. :lol

Any way, I'll look forward to anything new regarding Graces, too....who knows, maybe some one will be able to ninja a trailer out on 2ch or etc. soon enough. :lol

Prax

Rpgmonkey said:
There was a new trailer. No idea when they'll make it public. I have a feeling the teaser website's finally going to open this week though, so maybe the trailer will be there too.

And the red-haired girl might have been confirmed as a party member. She's apparently shown in gameplay in the trailer.

Red-head: Spears and Rapiers. Styles are "sweep" and "thrust"
Sophie: Chakrams and guns. Styles are "throw" and "shoot".

Hmm, that sounds pretty good, actually!
Not-yet-too-annoying-designs and interesting weapon combinations!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom