• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces (Wii) Tales of VS (PSP), Tales of Vesperia (PS3) JP sites open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSLink

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Tales of Unitea (Tales of Unitia) was one of the alternate names for Tales of Graces when Namco was registering its trademarks, so I have my doubts about this rumor. Just because it originates on 2ch doesn't mean there is any reason to believe it.
Maybe Tales of Unitea is a Tales of Graces HD port! :lol
oh god please no

Seriously though, it's probably false, though it wouldn't surprise me to see another PS3 Tales, and localized or not, at least PS3 Japanese games are easy to import.

Aeana

I think the odds of a Tales game on the HD consoles this year (Team Symphonia's latest) are pretty high, but I'm with grandjedi6 on the name.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
FSLink said:
Seriously though, it's probably false, though it wouldn't surprise me to see another PS3 Tales, and localized or not, at least PS3 Japanese games are easy to import.
This December is the Tales series 15th anniversary so the fanbase is probably expecting something to be announced at the annual-ish Tales of Festival on June 5th. However the fact that the fanbase is expecting something also means false rumors are likely to appear.... alot. So unless someone more knowledgable pops up with a reason to believe this rumor over the 20 or so rumors that will or have popped up, I see no reason to waste time believing it.

So yeah, it's probably false if only for sheer probability.

grandjedi6

Eteric Rice said:
Hmm, wonder what the chances of a 3DS Tales are?
At or near launch? 0%

Eventually? 100%

And where the fuck is Graces? :O
It probably died with Namco's layoffs last year (pending any E3 surprise). If it doesn't show at E3 then the North America's share of the series will likely be limited to Team Symphonia's offerings.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
*sigh*

I thought Vesperia was gonna be localized.

I hope there's at least a localized Tales game in PS3 at one point.

The blog also mentions something about Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3.

Aru

ULTROS! said:
*sigh*

RM3 ? Do not want.
The second one was never localized, so almost no chance to see a third one in english.

grandjedi6 said:
Tales of Unitea (Tales of Unitia) was one of the alternate names for Tales of Graces when Namco was registering its trademarks, so I have my doubts about this rumor. Just because it originates on 2ch doesn't mean there is any reason to believe it.
Yup, it also says Phantasia X will be released on August 5th at 5200Y (to be announced in the June event supposedly). I wouldn't trust any news unless its from a clean weekly jump scan.

grandjedi6 said:
It probably died with Namco's layoffs last year (pending any E3 surprise). If it doesn't show at E3 then the North America's share of the series will likely be limited to Team Symphonia's offerings.
We need johntv 8-4 to enter the publishing business and get the license to the series. After all its always his company translating the very few ones Namco decides to localize.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
We need johntv 8-4 to enter the publishing business and get the license to the series. After all its always his company translating the very few ones Namco decides to localize.
That doesn't mean they'd let them publish them though, which sucks.

Nintendo should step up on Tales of Graces like they did on ToS and BKO ways back, as for the rest, Namco seems to like shooting themselves in the foot, judging how they like to let fans hype themselves for games they'll ultimately not release, or let anyone else release for that matter.

duckroll

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Yup, it also says Phantasia X will be released on August 5th at 5200Y (to be announced in the June event supposedly). I wouldn't trust any news unless its from a clean weekly jump scan.

The August 5th date should not be used to give the rumor any credibility even if it is true in future. The date is something fans have arrived at based on the theme song being released as a single on 4th August, as announced on the singer's official site today.

TunaLover

grandjedi6 said:
Do we know what teams were specifically hurt by those layoffs?

madara

I dont care if they only do 50k you have keep working at a fan base or completely give up forever. Surely didnt help Dragon Quest to completely vanish for years either.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
ULTROS! said:
*sigh*

Radiant Mythology 2 was a blast and it was light years ahead of the original game. It has better graphics, better pacing, and far superior music.

The third one will probably be even better :)

Sagitario

Hcoregamer00 said:
Radiant Mythology 2 was a blast and it was light years ahead of the original game. It has better graphics, better pacing, and far superior music.

The third one will probably be even better :)

But did it have better battle system?

I still can't believe we haven't heard a peep from Namco as to whether we'll get Graces or not.

It's very depressing...I want a new Tales of..., dammit! Especially from a different team whose titles I never got to play in my younger days.

xero273

dragonlife29 said:
I still can't believe we haven't heard a peep from Namco as to whether we'll get Graces or not.

It's very depressing...I want a new Tales of..., dammit! Especially from a different team whose titles I never got to play in my younger days.

Surprise E3 announcement. Believe!!!!

if you don't hear anything about it at E3 then just give up on it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I hate it when this thread gets bumped and I don't see the news I hope for.
Honestly, if there's no western Tales announcement at E3, I think we'll be able to finally rule out any kind of Graces localization.
Realistically, I think we can rule that out today, already. :/

Cep

Banned
Damn, with two RPG being published by them very soon, any tiny chance graces had of being localized, was probably killed.

Anyone know if the game is harder to play in JPN than Destiny 2? That one had markers on the map that made things a lot easier than Rebirth.

wrowa

lostinblue said:
Nintendo should step up on Tales of Graces like they did on ToS and BKO ways back, as for the rest, Namco seems to like shooting themselves in the foot, judging how they like to let fans hype themselves for games they'll ultimately not release, or let anyone else release for that matter.
Well, Nintendo doesn't need any 3rd party RPGs at the moment with Xenoblade and Last Story on the horizon, so I doubt that they see a reason to localize a Tales game this time around...

It really is a strange decision by Namco not to release Graces or another Tales game after the decent sales of Symphonia 2 and Vesperia. Breaking 100k is a nice achievement for a jRPG nowadays.

wrowa said:
Well, Nintendo doesn't need any 3rd party RPGs at the moment with Xenoblade and Last Story on the horizon, so I doubt that they see a reason to localize a Tales game this time around...

It really is a strange decision by Namco not to release Graces or another Tales game after the decent sales of Symphonia 2 and Vesperia. Breaking 100k is a nice achievement for a jRPG nowadays.
They still should step up when the game is good and the publisher is too moronic to bring it over nonetheless.

That or saying "See We Cheer 3? If you don't bring Graces over we won't let you publish it" (this part is stricly wishful thinking, but still)
Mejilan said:
I hate it when this thread gets bumped and I don't see the news I hope for.
Honestly, if there's no western Tales announcement at E3, I think we'll be able to finally rule out any kind of Graces localization.
Realistically, I think we can rule that out today, already. :/
I hope someone steps up to localize it Fatal Frame 4 style then... hopefully before the end of Wii's lifecycle.

Damn you Namco, you could have my money.

lostinblue said:
They still should step up when the game is good and the publisher is too moronic to bring it over nonetheless.

That or saying "See We Cheer 3? If you don't bring Graces over we won't let you publish it" (this part is stricly wishful thinking, but still)I hope someone steps up to localize it Fatal Frame 4 style then... hopefully before the end of Wii's lifecycle.

Tales is an entirely different story from, say, Fragile or Sky Crawlers. It is a Namco established IP, with fans of the series in America. Even if Namco decides not to bring it out, they won't let other companies use it by, in this case, localizing their games.

Tales is, for better or worse, entirely in Namco's hands. The extreme likelihood is that they passed on Graces.

xero273

lostinblue said:
That or saying "See We Cheer 3? If you don't bring Graces over we won't let you publish it" (this part is stricly wishful thinking, but still)I hope someone steps up to localize it Fatal Frame 4 style then... hopefully before the end of Wii's lifecycle.

There is a group of ppl getting ready to do a fan translations of ToG. I think some of the people doing it are from the FF4 translation team.

duckroll

lostinblue said:

Like Nintendo has any ability to tell what's good or bad anyway. How's that Nintendo of America release list looking these days eh? :p

FSLink

Banned
Cep said:
Damn, with two RPG being published by them very soon, any tiny chance graces had of being localized, was probably killed.

Anyone know if the game is harder to play in JPN than Destiny 2? That one had markers on the map that made things a lot easier than Rebirth.
I'd say it's about the same/easier (mainly because the battle system and its quirks are easier to figure out than Destiny 2's), since it has those markers too. Only tough parts is when you're stuck in a town not being able to leave, but that's solved by talking to every NPC/going everywhere/actually knowing Japanese.

Aeana

Cep said:

The game has map markers like that. It also has a button you can press at any time that tells you exactly what to do, but it's in Japanese... Still, I think you could probably manage. If you do get it, I can probably help you figure stuff out.

I just beat Graces recently and really loved it. The story/characters strike me as not appealing very well to the west, unlike Team Symphonia's games, but I don't know. It'd still be great if it made it over, because it truly has the best combat in the series.

Cep

Banned
duckroll said:
Like Nintendo has any ability to tell what's good or bad anyway. How's that Nintendo of America release list looking these days eh? :p

Why must you taunt us? :(

FSLink said:
I'd say it's about the same/easier (mainly because the battle system and its quirks are easier to figure out than Destiny 2's), since it has those markers too. Only tough parts is when you're stuck in a town not being able to leave, but that's solved by talking to every NPC/going everywhere/actually knowing Japanese.

Well, combat and its quirks are usually the easiest to learn because more people are willing to explain them to you.

Aeana said:
it truly has the best combat in the series.

Them some strong words. Cannot wait to try this game.

whats with namco not releasing Tales games in the US or Europe. I mean if they sell that bad maybe they should be making the games multiplat.

namco has got to be one of the worst publishers, they wont even let another company localize their games, but they'll publish other crap like clash of the titans-_-

NightHawk17 said:
whats with namco not releasing Tales games in the US or Europe. I mean if they sell that bad maybe they should be making the games multiplat.

namco has got to be one of the worst publishers, they wont even let another company localize their games, but they'll publish other crap like clash of the titans-_-

I agree, just do 360/PS3, or even PS3/360/Wii...

Oddly, they published Magna Carta 2, which everyone knew would sell worse than any Tales game.

Cep said:

Graces? I played through it in Japanese and only got stuck a few times. Most of the time, like you said, key points are marked on your map and if that fails, the story can usually be progressed by talking to every character around you.

FWIW, Graces comes second only to Vesperia in terms of my personal favourite Tales game (also has a great cast of chatacters). I've not played all of them, but a lot of the mainline entries, including Symphonia. I'd rebuy a US release in a heart beat.

Aeana said:
The game has map markers like that. It also has a button you can press at any time that tells you exactly what to do, but it's in Japanese... Still, I think you could probably manage. If you do get it, I can probably help you figure stuff out.

I just beat Graces recently and really loved it. The story/characters strike me as not appealing very well to the west, unlike Team Symphonia's games, but I don't know. It'd still be great if it made it over, because it truly has the best combat in the series.

Could you elaborate on this? One of my pet hopes from ToG was that Tales Of was deeper with their character designs.

Culex

Banned
Still can't believe Graces hasn't been dated for US release. If we don't see it at E3, we can say for sure it's never coming stateside.

Bebpo

Banned
Unless she means because it's bishounen-ey I don't really agree. Graces seemed like every other Tales game to me. But maybe that's because I'm just used to Team Destiny games flooded with boy love and girly girls.

kiryogi

Banned
Cep said:
Why must you taunt us? :(

Well, combat and its quirks are usually the easiest to learn because more people are willing to explain them to you.

Them some strong words. Cannot wait to try this game.

See the official thread :p

Negator

Namco hates money, it's the only explanation.

Every time I see this thread on the front page it makes me sad. If I don't see any Tales of at E3 I'm going to be livid.

duckroll

Negator said:
Namco hates money, it's the only explanation.

Namco hates money because they don't want to spend money on localizing games which don't really sell that much to begin with.... hmmmmm........ logic failure?

Shouta

Bebpo said:
Unless she means because it's bishounen-ey I don't really agree. Graces seemed like every other Tales game to me. But maybe that's because I'm just used to Team Destiny games flooded with boy love and girly girls.

Probably more along the lines of Team Symphonia games having a bit more polish and appeal overall compared to Team Destiny ones. Graces is the only one other than Destiny to come close to TS' level of polish and writing. I mean, I love Team Destiny's games but cripes, their writing really could use work most of the time.

Anyway, I still prefer Destiny Remake for combat overall though Graces probably has the best 3D combat in the series.

grandjedi6

Namco (specifically the America branch) is in financial dire straits and has been laying off many employees. So which project should they cancel first?

The game from a well known and popular series?

The untested IP with unknown potential?

Or, the game from a series that typically bombs financially and is on a system with unreliable 3rd party sales?​

Rpgmonkey

Totally forgot Graces existed, lol.

Guess I'll be importing when I get a Wii this Summer and adding it to my collection of Japan-only Tales games... :p

Wonder if this year's Tales of Festival is when they'll finally use it for announcing new games instead of smaller announcements and trailers. Next HD Tales is definitely in the works, just curious to know when they'll announce it.

grandjedi6 said:
Namco (specifically the America branch) is in financial dire straits and has been laying off many employees. So which project should they cancel first?

Or, the game from a series that typically bombs financially and is on a system with unreliable 3rd party sales?​
I'd be pretty okay with them releasing Graces then being all fired and outsourcing all their stuff from there on out.

Jeels

grandjedi6 said:

The answer is Tales of Vesperia PS3 North American release. :D

Negator

duckroll said:
Namco hates money because they don't want to spend money on localizing games which don't really sell that much to begin with.... hmmmmm........ logic failure?

You mean that Namco might have to take a risk to make some profit? Oh no, that's just terrible. Why don't they just stop making games if they're afraid of losing money?

If I'm not mistaken Tales of Vesperia on the 360 didn't exactly bomb, so I can't quite buy that statement.

Edit: I'm obviously bitter over the whole Tales fiasco, and Duckroll/Cep are probably right. I'm just going to drop it. Probably better for everyone involved.

Cep

Banned
Negator said:
You mean that Namco might have to take a risk to make some profit? Oh no, that's just terrible. Why don't they just stop making games if they're afraid of losing money?

If I'm not mistaken Tales of Vesperia on the 360 didn't exactly bomb, so I can't quite buy that statement.

They did, several times.

Obviously the sales were not satisfactory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom