• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

Manbig

I know that I have not been on Gaf that long, but a lot of this advice strikes me as what you would say to someone picking up Ling for the first time, not someone who has been playing her since Tekken 3.

My problem with Ling is approach. I don't know how to break through opponents retreating to the edge of the screen without doing something risky and eating a 50%+ punish. I wish Ling had a high/low mixup besides b+2,2. I know I can run right up to people with Asuka with 1,3 and that cracks them open. With Ling, it seems as though my opponents are more than willing to knock me out of RDS California Rolls, etc. I end up whiffing too.

Blocks, low parries, throw breaks. I've seen it all.

Man, the difference in skill between the blue ranks and the green ranks is night-and-day. Every time I drop down to Grand Master and end up seeing Experts and below, I feel like I'm playing on easy. The fact that I end up playing more people *below* my rank than at my rank or above (I hardly EVER see brawlers) is probably the most detrimental aspect of me getting better with Ling.

I'm going to be blunt here...

You sound like you don't know much of anything and are just parroting what you've read in chatrooms and heard Tekken streamers say about a few specific move notations.

Ling is amazing. Take some time to learn her properly, and you'll do alright.

ZeroX03

Banned
That's another sentiment you have to throw away. Playing her since Tekken 3 doesn't mean that there might be stuff that you have been doing wrong or just didn't know the whole time. We have been trying to help and correct you for quite some time yet you have been ignorant when it comes to any kind of advice.

Without wishing to burst your bubble, if you're dropping down to Grand Master, you're not good enough at the game that you can make balance judgements on the game at all.

To re-use an old statement "You don't know what you don't know". You should take the time to read up about your character, watch some videos, and get more informed, you'll improve in leaps and bounds.

Can I be honest with you? It's very possible that you could have played the character for years and still need advice that new players need, because you never learned how to play the character well.

I get the impression that Ling just isn't the character you should be playing. I don't mean that in a snide way -- it seems like what you want from a character just isn't what she offers.

Ling is life. And why the hell are you not poking with her d/f + 1? It transitions into RDS. Ling is pure mix ups. I don't think she's the right one for you Phoenix. Time to move on.

Edit: In fact, I'm going to do YOU a favor.

Read up!

This is from Mad Axes over on the TZ forums. Read it. Learn it. Live it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14BuxgBj7J1RCaue-7J3ZU0tO2RUW5l3pwmwIuSh9wJo/edit

I'm going to be blunt here...

You sound like you don't know much of anything and are just parroting what you've read in chatrooms and heard Tekken streamers say about a few specific move notations.

Ling is amazing. Take some time to learn her properly, and you'll do alright.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm have any of you guys played Ling since Tekken 3? Didn't think so, you clearly don't know as much you unsmart scrubs!

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm have any of you guys played Ling since Tekken 3? Didn't think so, you clearly don't know as much you unsmart scrubs!

I have a question for you.

When I'm trying to do ws+4 after a blocking a move that makes me stagger, what is the command for that stupid arc/circle kick she does that goes high (and is usually ducked under)? It's way slower than ws+4 too.

Dereck

Why didn't Knee use Bryan or Devil Jin against Dragunuv?

Bad matchup?

Bad player match up maybe!

I just can't stand Feng has a character. Bleh.

Knee's so much more exciting with the other two anyway.

He was trying to use backwards kenpo step to avoid running 2 pressure. He has tried Devil Jin against top Dragunovs before but he gets mauled too much

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tekken/comments/6mf8wl/a_korean_players_analysis_on_knees_feng_pick_for/

Feng is a good character. It's not as insane as Leo and Paul where you are filled with OP moves or that crazy bitch [refers to Xiaoyu] where you can spam one stance to play 50/50 while dodging high and mids. But Feng certainly is one of the best character at close range combat.
He has u/f+2 and b,f+1 which both allows him to take advantage by it's insane evasion either backwards or Clockwise [SSL].
b+1 has insane synergy with df+1 making jabs after blocking df+1 a very risky choice for opponent.
1+2 which is the best punch parry in the game.
b+3+4 is allows him to play tricky and control the distance in his favour.
d+2 is a unseeable low that does massive damage on CH with high crush.
qcf+1 which cannot be parried and sometimes even crush mid and CH launch with only -14 on block.

The SS moves are also insanely good, almost as good as Leo and Paul's 50/50. On the wall, these moves cannot be answered with back steps which allows Feng to be one of those 50/50 mind game characters from a honest character.
Back turn 2 throw and 1+2 throw is not seeable to distinguish and does 50 damage for 1+2.

Some of these pros will help us to understand why he specifically picked the Feng in this tournament.

First of all, Knee plays Feng very well. You might think of Yuu or Hao for a Feng player, but actually Knee's arcade rank was higher for Feng. (just like many other characters) [Knee literally play every single character in the game, and they are all on very high ranks for arcade]

Secondly, Knee is a type of person who often change his pick to counter certain characters. For examples, he brought Shaheen and Kazumi to defeat Goattack's Master Raven. He also used Yoshi and Kazuya to fight Hao's Feng. He also talked about this counter picks in his stream. I wouldn't go into the details of why these are specifically the counter picks, but I'm sure you will know if you played game to certain level.

Knee knew that some players will pick Dragunov (Nobi, JDCR, Kkokkoma) and also kkokkoma only really plays Dragunov and Kazumi. The thing with Dragunov and Kazumi is, they have much better close-combat moves compared to Bryan and Devil Jin. Which makes it very tricky to fight. However Feng has similar moves (e.g. d+2 for low poke, good standard moves like 1,2 or df+1), even better on some aspects (e.g. b+1, b,f+1). This allows knee to fight in the same style as those characters and with the same style, the skill level itself will matter more than other variables, which would favour Knee as long as he knows he has better skills than other players.

Also moves like b+3+4 stance and u/f+2 are really nice to create unexpected variables in the play with relatively less risk, which fits to knee's style. These moves were actually crucial to limit Kkokkoma's intention to pressure, and was actually useful in important moments. (Like the last moment where he went b+3+4~2 by reading Kkokkoma's aggression to end the round)

Knee played "Knee's Tekken", but Kkokkoma didn't adapt to it. This doesn't mean Kkokkoma didn't know how to fight Feng.

Knee probably has the most safe play style as JDCR plays more offensively now.
If you play against those normal Fengs in the rank (including myself), you will almost always see Feng players use SS+4 on the wall or in the chance for SS mix up. But Knee never really used this move.

Knee always used SS df+3 instead, which is safe [-7] on block and launches on hit. It also limits opponents jab choices with 1+2 parry. It fits perfectly for his play style. No matter how short this move is, he always found opportunities to use this move.

Because Feng players generally use more SS+4 instead of SS df+3, Kkokkoma couldn't get rid of doubting low moves and ironically got hit by the more safe choice from knee. In fact, this shows that Kkokkoma actually knew how to fight Feng. If he didn't know about it, he wouldn't have ducked at these SS mix up timings, but he was aware of the SS+4.

If any of Feng players watched this match today, you would probably agree that Knee's Feng style is somewhat different from general Feng players. Knee played with almost no risks. But Kkokkoma didn't adapt to it quick enough and played as he would be playing against mediocre Feng players.

Knee's only risky moves were d+2s. But then if you look at it carefully, it's the best low move to use with minimum risk. First of all the move itself is really good as I mentioned above, Secondly, it is -12 on block and unseeable. This means it won't be launched on block and will be hard to punish by reaction. Especially Dragunov's -12 ws punish is very dangerous if he executes it bit too late. That's why you can see Kkokkoma use ws kick for punish instead to be more safe. He lacked the confidence for the perfect punish there. Whereas Knee almost punished Dragunov's d+2 perfectly with ws+1,2 with confidence.
And Overall, Knee managed to play in close-combat style, which was what he intended in order to counter pick something like Dragunov and Kazumi. It's quite impressive how he removed the risky part of the Feng's playstyle to make it work like that.

Apart from that, I do have to say Knee generally played better in terms of defence and distance control too.

Translator's personal comment:
It's impressive how JDCR quickly adapted to Knee's Feng style and managed to win with his Dragunov. Especially the last moment where JDCR blocked wr+3, and Knee had the perfect time for wall SS mixup, JDCR just committed to delayed ff+1+2 because he knew that Knee won't use the high crush low and will counter throw the mid choice, while knowing that other moves like 2,1 or df+1 will be avoided by that side step.

Astral

I've been practicing with Xiaoyu but haven't used her in an actual match yet. I'm kind of I intimidated by the number of options she seems to have.

wrongway

I've been practicing with Xiaoyu but haven't used her in an actual match yet. I'm kind of I intimidated by the number of options she seems to have.

My general gameplan with Xiaoyu is to spin into raindance stance and get kicked in the back, then get up, drop to phoenix, and get kicked in the face. I'm not quite 100% on it, but I'm getting there.

GrayFoxPL

My general gameplan with Xiaoyu is to spin into raindance stance and get kicked in the back, then get up, drop to phoenix, and get kicked in the face. I'm not quite 100% on it, but I'm getting there.

JOi28wc.gif

Kashiwaba

I'm getting matched up more frequently now on PS4 but most of them end up and lost connection with opponent, am I the only one who is getting this??

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Don't go for long juggles. Keep your damage short and sweet.

She has no defense,just keep hitting her after she gets up.

If she does any of her laser or fly into grab shenanigans, keep sidestepping and then punish.
Thanks, I'll try this later. The tiger uppercut into laser takes off a lot of health and gets frustrating.

Onemic

One of the things I wish they added for qol is to create more descriptive messages when someone denies a request to a match or you get legitimately disconnected. Right now, there is no difference in the two in terms of the message that pops up as both situations will give you "opponent connection has been lost". It makes it a lot harder to judge whether someone legitimately doesnt want to play you or you're just not syncing properly with them.

partime

Deluxe or Standard Edition? I'm thinking of finally picking this up.

If we base it off of the current costume selection, will the Deluxe be worth it for a few more?

Doomshine

If we base it off of the current costume selection, will the Deluxe be worth it for a few more?

The costumes are not out yet so you could just pick up the standard edition and get the season pass later if you feel it's worth it.

The only thing you get right now is the golden outfits. There's no discount for picking up the Deluxe so if you can wait for the update next month to get the Season Pass and not miss anything.

If you want Eliza though you might be better off getting a physical copy.

Secondly, Knee is a type of person who often change his pick to counter certain characters.

For those that watch these tournaments, do they let people counter-pick? What happens if they both just wait on the character select screen? Or do they make them write down the characters they will use?

Sayad

For those that watch these tournaments, do they let people counter-pick? What happens if they both just wait on the character select screen? Or do they make them write down the characters they will use?
There's something called a blind pick where a player tell a judge who will he pick and the other go ahead and pick first, if you think you'll be counter picked, you can request a blind pick. Other than that, when you lose a match you get to change character for the next one(only the loser can change).

Astral

Do you guys ever learn a new character, practice offline with them until you're comfortable, and then get a complete brain fart and forget most of their moves and combos online? It's one of my biggest obstacles online when learning a new character. It's really annoying.

Do you guys ever learn a new character, practice offline with them until you're comfortable, and then get a complete brain fart and forget most of their moves and combos online? It's one of my biggest obstacles online when learning a new character. It's really annoying.

Of course, it's part of the learning process.

I basically spent 3 hours learning all of Claudios basic launch combos, Starburst launch combos, and counter hit launch combos, doing them all in a row until I could do them all without messing one up.

Now Online I still whiff them, mostly due to latency but the muscle memory is getting way better.

Perineum

Today was awful. Sat down for about 10-12 matches as Josie and lost just about every single one.

Ranked my ass down from Maurauder straight down to Grand Master hinging on rank down to expert. Jesus fucking christ...

I was doing 1, 2, 4 into a cancel 3 (or any other options) but I had a match so laggy it kept reading my input as 1, 2, 3 and completely skipping over the 4. This caused me to eat shit so much.

In general nothing I was doing for pressure worked on anyone today. I'm left feeling super defeated and triggered that I just want to go learn a different character and say fuck it.

wrongway

Oh yeah, totally. I'm super comfy dorkin around in practice mode or relaxing with treasure battle. Get into a real match though and half my repetoir goes bye-bye. I also feel like it's really easy for me to get fixated on watching and trying to react to my opponent. Instead of laying on the pressure when it's my turn, or at least trying to figure out when it's my turn, I get too passive with trying to defend.

Man I want to be good with Nina but shes so freaking complicated. I'm mostly comfortable with her strings but I have no idea when, where, or how to extend them...

Feel like I should switch characters but I like her soooo much.

Hmmm...I can't remember the last time I played a new character. Asuka (Tekken 5),is technically Jun.

I sometimes forget certain moves. I could have won several gamesni lost if I had remembered Asuka's d/b+1, 3. __

Perineum

I don't anymore now. I think it's because I spend so much time first getting my shit down in practice, then in treasure, then I go back to training mode and essentially do a turbo mode combo session. In that session I go as fast as I can between different launchers, strings, CH set ups, etc rotating between as many as I can as fast as I can to insure it is burnt into muscle memory. If I screw up I do it 10 times both sides of the opponent before starting a cycle again.

The LAST reason I want to lose is my fucking a combo or opportunity to convert damage up. Poor decisions? Fine. Bad spacing? Fine. Couldn't block/parry much? Fine. But I should NEVER lose to me opening someone up and dropping shit. That gets me pissed at myself which is bad for my Quan.

Had some friends come over and they don't really play Tekken. So I used Kuma against him, and found him pretty fun, so I checked out some stuff in training. Most important question about him though, how do I make Kuma fart on someone? Did they remove it?

Thanks Dereck for that epic explanation. lol.

Kinda sad no one picked Lee in the tournament, at least no one on stream.

They really hosed him over in T7, huh? =/

Oh and latest patch actually nerfed his F+3+4 >_>

DerZuhälter;243135693 said:
When is GAF's first official T7-Rage till ya quit-tournament?

Is it first to quit, whether you win or lose? I bet I'll win that easy, I can lose literally dozens of games in a row till my opponent quits the set.

Played about 15 matches against a Kazumi Grand Master. Started as Brawler (won 75 till now) with Paul.
Had no experience against Kazumi so had no idea what I'd be up against.
Won 3, lost 2 and then it started: lost 5 in a row. First got demoted then the Kazumi player got promoted.
Lost all matches except for one 3-2 on rounds with two of them going down with a slomo great.
I tend to rage bad, but thankfully the guy/gal gave me revenge opportunities.

Guy was blocking a lot of my stuff based on prediction so I started to play with changed timings doing several qcf into throws instead of deathfist or went in close and threw deathfist instead of demomans at him.
Won 5 in a row most of the rounds 3-0. Demolished him. Demoted him back down to Grand Master and got promoted back to Brawler. Felt good. Won another one and after him breaking my 6 game streak I just left.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
DerZuhälter;243137652 said:
Played about 15 matches against a Kazumi Grand Master. Started as Brawler (won 75 till now) with Paul.
Had no experience against Kazumi so had no idea what I'd be up against.
Won 3, lost 2 and then it started: lost 5 in a row. First got demoted then the Kazumi player got promoted.
Lost all matches except for one 3-2 on rounds with two of them going down with a slomo great.
I tend to rage bad, but thankfully the guy/gal gave me revenge opportunities.

Guy was blocking a lot of my stuff based on prediction so I started to play with changed timings doing several qcf into throws instead of deathfist or went in close and threw deathfist instead of demomans at him.
Won 5 in a row most of the rounds 3-0. Demolished him. Demoted him back down to Grand Master and got promoted back to Brawler. Felt good. Won another one and after him breaking my 6 game streak I just left.

Wait what? Can you do more than 1 rematch in ranked with the new update?

Dina

I picked up a RAP4 recently and started playing with it yesterday. It definately is more fun that way, although I feel like I have dropped 10 skillpoints... The movement is sluggier because I can't dash as frequently and sidestepping is still a problem for me. I also keep on dropping combo's and lose vs opponents I wouldn't have lost against.

But still, it's only day 1. This is supposed to take around a month to feel comfortable again. We'll see.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
I'm getting matched up more frequently now on PS4 but most of them end up and lost connection with opponent, am I the only one who is getting this??

I get matched up and connected way more, but to people with worse connections with areas and ranks i didnt specifiy for

Ive had two games against people in asia countrys who were both beginners

Currently at
Wins: 37
Losses: 35
Character : Dragunov

Honestly i really ahould start to look at online tactics and tips, but i just cba to have to be told that everything i know is wrong and change up my playstyle but i dont even know a single fucking juggle with dragunov its embarrassing.

CSX

convinced another one of my friends to buy this game

I asked him what character he plans to play. He answered Kazuya :\

Great, now i gotta deal with DORYA obsessed people IRL really soon lol

That feel when you can do electrics consistently on one side but not on the other...Gonna have to learn to play Heihachi on the right side lol

I miss Tekken 6 Kuma. This Kuma is good but he's so boring. Just poke & wiff punish. Tekken 6 Kuma was so much fun with Hunting Stance & all his unblockable setups. Hunting stance sucks now & all his unblockables he's had forever are now gone. I'd give back all his T7 buffs just to have T6 Hunting & his unblockables back.

Top Bottom