• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

Astral

O36f87s.gif

Damn. That's a nice CH combo. Makes me wanna pick up Jin again. Still hate his wavedashing though.

But we saw combacks in previous games the 'old school' way. Nevertheless it disrupts the gameplay flow for me and my buddies. A simple punch—with a very short introduction—would be less 'flashy' and could do the same (like Paul's Death Fist). I'm less bothered with the balancing/damage output.

Interestingly enough, Paul's Phoenix Smasher is basically his Rage Art simple dude.

The long sequence serves the purpose of "selling" that you done goofed.

Sayad

Just best story mode finally. It was awful.
The worst in recent years, forcing myself to play through it(don't think I'm even half way through yet) was harder than doing so for SFV prologue stories. AI spamming armored moves ruins the gameplay part, what could have been the only good thing about it!

Perineum

Today was a day of good accomplishments. I NEVER thought I'd get to Brawler rank and I made it to Marauder today. Josie is my main for the foreseeable future. The kit this girl has and the sweater puppies are unmatched.

To go from never playing a Tekken game, to learning, to hitting this rank is making me feel myself. I want to get between Warrior and Destroyer someday is my goal online with this game. At that point I feel I will have gotten a good sense of the fundamentals for the game and would need to dive off into the deep end of the pool to never miss a throw tech, learn the majority of match ups, and master movement.

Right now my movement game involves back dash side step back dash to keep it flowing to create space, but that can only get me so far. I am also surprised just how good Josie is when you get the pressure and CH set ups going. Her damage is too good and the amount of ways she can make you eat shit is a LOT. Safe on things that shouldn't be like UF3.

After playing for 12 hours straight with Kazuya, Asuka, and Ling, I've figured out why I struggle with Ling even though I spend 80% of my time playing her.

-She's one of the few characters in the game who does not have a reliable "invisible" sweep. SS+3 requires a ton of setup, and most players are expecting it when it comes out anyway.

-Her punishment game SUCKS. All she realistically has that will make ppl fear her is f+1+2, and its range is pathetic compared to Asuka's and not nearly as fast as Kaz's 1+2 or wr+1,2.

-Weak launchers (part of punishment). Range and speed. She has to rely on CHs, and even then, Ling does not have strings that go into launchers. Every launch attempt has to be deliberate.

I came to this realization after losing seven straight maches with Ling and declining from Fighter to Grand Master. Meanwhile, my Asuka and Kaz, I got them up from Kyus to Brawlers in no time. And I never lose more than 2 matches in a row with them.

wrongway

Well the weekend kinda got away from me, but I finally got in a little post-patch action. Very relieved to see the patch didn't break shit for me. Got matches in seconds and even the 3-bar guy I played was silky smooth for the set. The endless (is it endless?) rematches in ranked is great, if a bit stressful. :D

Also, this game is hard as fuck after a few drinks. On my way to mastering that loss streak into threat-of-demotion tech.

Onemic

After playing for 12 hours straight with Kazuya, Asuka, and Ling, I've figured out why I struggle with Ling even though I spend 80% of my time playing her.

-She's one of the few characters in the game who does not have a reliable "invisible" sweep. SS+3 requires a ton of setup, and most players are expecting it when it comes out anyway.

-Her punishment game SUCKS. All she realistically has that will make ppl fear her is f+1+2, and its range is pathetic compared to Asuka's and not nearly as fast as Kaz's 1+2 or wr+1,2.

-Weak launchers (part of punishment). Range and speed. She has to rely on CHs, and even then, Ling does not have strings that go into launchers. Every launch attempt has to be deliberate.

I came to this realization after losing seven straight maches with Ling and declining from Fighter to Grand Master. Meanwhile, my Asuka and Kaz, I got them up from Kyus to Brawlers in no time. And I never lose more than 2 matches in a row with them.

....Ling is easily one of the best characters if not the best character in the game tho

doesnt she also have a very practical 14f standing punish?

Sayad

When someone shows that they're consistent at blocking it, you cancel its startup into RD(holding back) then go for RD 4. Ling is a mixup character, she isn't as straight forward as those others but she's also not lacking top tier tools.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/157759160?t=40m24s Knee vs JDCR winners final from Rev Major last night.

Anyone remotely interested in high level Tekken should watch it, best Tekken match in years.

Yup. Best fighting game set I've watched in the past year. Absolutely incredible stuff. The time outs werent even scummy. They were close till the very end with one of them finally getting finding a crack.

Knee played some of the best hit and run game i've ever seen. Kudos to JDCR for being able to weather the storm.

What is this, story mode? That was insane lol

Online mode lol

shockdude

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/157759160?t=40m24s Knee vs JDCR winners final from Rev Major last night.

Anyone remotely interested in high level Tekken should watch it, best Tekken match in years.
Incredible matches. Tekken 7 is such a good game to watch.

On a side note, TOOLASSISTED is currently streaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ATBidg-4gQ
If you're not familiar with TOOLASSISTED, this person makes a bot to dominate other players online, and has previously made bots for SFIV and SFV. Watching the bot do inhuman punishes and parries is hilarious.

Blitzhex

So 8 hours of tekken7 (lucky chloe) play on the pc with my new xbone controller and my dpad down is broke. It doesn't register half of the time.
I threw away the receipt for the controller like an idiot because I thought crap like this couldn't happen.

Opened up the controller and the button press seems to be messed up on the pcb level, the metal dome doesn't look damaged.

Should I buy another official xbone controller or is this a normal thing to happen to them?
Or should I buy a third party xbone controller that's higher quality?

My launch ps3 controllers still work flawlessly, ughh. I just wanted a xbox controller for the matching ABXY prompts for pc.

sasuke_91

Guaranteed d+3 at worst, but it doesn't combo.

It's a great move and gives you great okizeme options. Try using it more and you'll see how great it is for chipping away your opponent's health bar.
SS+3 by itself is slow and everyone can block it, yeah. But she does get a mixup off of it for people who are a little more impatient. Hold back to go into RDS and throw out RDS 4.

I'm definitely not experiencing it.

3 is 14f, but hits high (can be ducked).

Throw away the sentiment that highs are bad moves because they can be ducked. Ducking is kind of a commitment up close and highs are a great way to get your opponent to duck before you throw out a hopkick or d/f+2~1.

Been in training mode for almost an hour now trying to pull of God fists (it's surprisingly relaxing) and for the life of me, I can not pull off Jin's Electric Wind Hook fist.

Like if I pull off 50 electrics, then at most 2 will be perfect. Which is weird because I can actually do Kazuya's PEWGF much more consistently. Like 10 out of 40 electrics will probably be perfect.

I realize that it's not that big of a deal as Jin in particular if I don't pull of perfect EWHFs all the time, but it's still something that gnaws at me, knowing that I could be leaving damage on the table.

Probably gonna be playing Lars anyway so who cares :D

If anyone has any advice on how to beat Devil Kazumi in a special battle, I'd like to know.

Don't go for long juggles. Keep your damage short and sweet.

She has no defense,just keep hitting her after she gets up.

If she does any of her laser or fly into grab shenanigans, keep sidestepping and then punish.

I hit her once with B124 or ff3,4 and then spam fireballs. The AI doesnt have a clue what to do against fireballs.

Clearly not an option if you arent Eliza, Akuma, or Kazumi though.

When someone shows that they're consistent at blocking it, you cancel its startup into RD(holding back) then go for RD 4. Ling is a mixup character, she isn't as straight forward as those others but she's also not lacking top tier tools.

Sure but as a punish that doesn't matter for the most part. Very few characters have a 14f launcher

It's a great move and gives you great okizeme options. Try using it more and you'll see how great it is for chipping away your opponent's health bar.
SS+3 by itself is slow and everyone can block it, yeah. But she does get a mixup off of it for people who are a little more impatient. Hold back to go into RDS and throw out RDS 4.

Throw away the sentiment that highs are bad moves because they can be ducked. Ducking is kind of a commitment up close and highs are a great way to get your opponent to duck before you throw out a hopkick or d/f+2~1.

I know that I have not been on Gaf that long, but a lot of this advice strikes me as what you would say to someone picking up Ling for the first time, not someone who has been playing her since Tekken 3.

My problem with Ling is approach. I don't know how to break through opponents retreating to the edge of the screen without doing something risky and eating a 50%+ punish. I wish Ling had a high/low mixup besides b+2,2. I know I can run right up to people with Asuka with 1,3 and that cracks them open. With Ling, it seems as though my opponents are more than willing to knock me out of RDS California Rolls, etc. I end up whiffing too.

Blocks, low parries, throw breaks. I've seen it all.

Man, the difference in skill between the blue ranks and the green ranks is night-and-day. Every time I drop down to Grand Master and end up seeing Experts and below, I feel like I'm playing on easy. The fact that I end up playing more people *below* my rank than at my rank or above (I hardly EVER see brawlers) is probably the most detrimental aspect of me getting better with Ling.

sasuke_91

I know that I have not been on Gaf that long, but a lot of this advice strikes me as what you would say to someone picking up Ling for the first time, not someone who has been playing her since Tekken 3.
That's another sentiment you have to throw away. Playing her since Tekken 3 doesn't mean that there might be stuff that you have been doing wrong or just didn't know the whole time. We have been trying to help and correct you for quite some time yet you have been ignorant when it comes to any kind of advice.

Spuck-uk

Banned

My problem with Ling is approach. I don't know how to break through opponents retreating to the edge of the screen without doing something risky and eating a 50%+ punish. I wish Ling had a high/low mixup besides b+2,2. I know I can run right up to people with Asuka with 1,3 and that cracks them open. With Ling, it seems as though my opponents are more than willing to knock me out of RDS California Rolls, etc. I end up whiffing too.

Man, the difference in skill between the blue ranks and the green ranks is night-and-day. Every time I drop down to Grand Master and end up seeing Experts and below, I feel like I'm playing on easy. The fact that I end up playing more people *below* my rank than at my rank or above (I hardly EVER see brawlers) is probably the most detrimental aspect of me getting better with Ling.

Without wishing to burst your bubble, if you're dropping down to Grand Master, you're not good enough at the game that you can make balance judgements on the game at all.

To re-use an old statement "You don't know what you don't know". You should take the time to read up about your character, watch some videos, and get more informed, you'll improve in leaps and bounds.

Kumubou

Can I be honest with you? It's very possible that you could have played the character for years and still need advice that new players need, because you never learned how to play the character well.

I get the impression that Ling just isn't the character you should be playing. I don't mean that in a snide way -- it seems like what you want from a character just isn't what she offers.

Top Bottom