• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

Does anyone here with a physical copy of Tekken 7 for PS4 know if there is a day one patch or install? If so, how big is it? I think I need to make room.

You know, I've had so many arguments with people who think Akuma was a bad idea when really him being in has given this series new life and a new audience that it didn't have for a good while. I mean, I get why people don't want Akuma in "their Tekken" and all but it's only a positive for the growth of the series. He's really helping in that area.

I'm pretty much with Tran on Akuma, I just have a visceral response to seeing him and his SF moves in the game. But from a pragmatic POV, I worry that he and Eliza are toes in the water, and if there's not a big community backlash to them we could see meters and projectiles become standard with Tekken characters in T8.

I get why Akuma is in the game -- the same reason Rage Arts and the crush moves and a lot of new characters being newbie-friendly are. To make the game more attractive to new audiences. But the danger in that is making Tekken less Tekken and more like other FGs in order to compete or remain viable as a franchise. I don't think that's happened in T7, despite Akuma and Eliza being fishes out of water, but if they continue down that road then we may find it hard to say what makes Tekken different from other FGs.

molnizzle

Others can answer better than I can on this but I'll say I've been playing Tekken since 2 and I always use a pad. Never had any issues personally. More Tekken players use pad than SF players from what I've seen. It's one of the most accessible fighters out there for pad players compared to using a stick.

I always used a pad too in Tekken 3 and 4 but I was a big time masher. I didn't know if it was a viable input method competitively.

You use d-pad or analog stick? I wonder if my Hori fight commander would be better over an Xbone pad.

Skilletor

I always wondered who the audience for that stuff was, other then obnoxious people who hate everyone, but those aren't people you should cater to.

Maybe it's just a goofy japanese thing I don't have enough context to understand.

Yeah, and, I mean, it's fine if they like it. I just want to not see it. I think it makes the game look a billion times worse and actively makes me not seek out footage for it.

Options are great.

They are terrible. The only customizations that I have liked are the ones in Injustice 2 as they stick to their character pretty well IMO.

Yeah, pretty much.

bumpkin

I'm torn. I was a huge Tekken fan for 1-4, but kind of fell off after that. I had 5 on Vita and 6 on 360, but didn't play either to a great extent. It sounds like 7 is incredibly polished and has a lot content though.

cordy

Banned
I started playing fighting games again last year with GG Xrd -SIGN- after palying quite a few of them growing up. My brother and I would play MvC2, Tekken, SvC a lot, but I sorta fell out of them when nothing really piqued my interest. I started playing BlazBlue several years ago, but recently the art style isn't really gelling with me. While I prefer 2D fighters, Capcom's recent output has left me wanting, and I've always had a soft spot for Tekken. Even if I haven't been keeping up with the series.

The last Tekken I played was either 5 or TTT2, but I never really got into it. Some of the fondest memories I have are of my older brother and me beating the shit out of each other when Tekken 3 launched. We spent days in front of the TV unlocking all of the costumes and endings, with some VS sprinkled in for good measure.

I've been on a fighting game kick for a while now with Injustice 2, Rev 2 and a little bit of SFV for good measure (still can't hold my attention for more than a few days at a time). I'm just kinda in the mood to consume any fighting game right now. With the end of the Mishima Saga here I think it's time to see how far the franchise has come in my 20 year absence.
That's one reason why I love the series. I remember when my family got T2 and me and my brother were constantly playing it. It just continued until now where we're both picking up the latest fighters. In this game for example, with all the unlockable movies, I'm going to have fun unlocking it. Personally, I wouldn't have minded if we unlocked characters because that's a classic thing but I can see why they didn't go that route.

This is another reason. Akuma's addition doesn't hurt either.
Yeah I'd honestly say this is the best Akuma's ever looked in any game. I know people disagree but hey that's what I think.
I'm pretty much with Tran on Akuma, I just have a visceral response to seeing him and his SF moves in the game. But from a pragmatic POV, I worry that he and Eliza are toes in the water, and if there's not a big community backlash to them we could see meters and projectiles become standard with Tekken characters in T8.

I get why Akuma is in the game -- the same reason Rage Arts and the crush moves and a lot of new characters being newbie-friendly are. To make the game more attractive to new audiences. But the danger in that is making Tekken less Tekken and more like other FGs in order to compete or remain viable as a franchise. I don't think that's happened in T7, despite Akuma and Eliza being fishes out of water, but if they continue down that road then we may find it hard to say what makes Tekken different from other FGs.

I actually see the series doing something different with T8. I think the meters and Supers will be TxSF and Akuma/Eliza (maybe the other guests who knows) will have that but for the most part it will stay seperate. I get a feeling there will be more focus on reanimating a lot of the moves and making the fights seem more like actual martial arts films than now. Stuff like the "holding your back when you're beaten" and "falling forward the same way", stuff like that I think will be fixed. Idk what the gimmick of the next one will be but I wouldn't be surprised if they found a way for the fights to look more real. Who knows but that's one thing they talked about during the T7 dev videos. They spent a lot of time talking about how the game looks as an actual fight so whatever keeps them in that direction is probably where we're heading. They've mentioned new characters with particular fighting styles and from a character standpoint, it doesn't look quite as cliche martial arts as before but with that said visually, a lot of those mechanics keep evolving.
I always used a pad too in Tekken 3 and 4 but I was a big time masher. I didn't know if it was a viable input method competitively.

You use d-pad or analog stick? I wonder if my Hori fight commander would be better over an Xbone pad.
I always use D-Pad. I tried the analog but nah that doesn't do the job for me lol.

yyr

Arcade mode here is shockingly bad. 5 matches and it's done?!

Actually, the arcade version is exactly like this. They want you to play VS, and not sit there fighting the CPU, after all. So the solo game lasts only 5 matches.

Granted, I believe the arcade version has online play as well.

Oh ok.

I don't see Akuma's in there so I thiught maybe you couldn't heh.

Akuma's taunt is just being in a Tekken match

I actually see the series doing something different with T8. I think the meters and Supers will be TxSF and Akuma/Eliza (maybe the other guests who knows) will have that but for the most part it will stay seperate. I get a feeling there will be more focus on reanimating a lot of the moves and making the fights seem more like actual martial arts films than now. Stuff like the "holding your back when you're beaten" and "falling forward the same way", stuff like that I think will be fixed. Idk what the gimmick of the next one will be but I wouldn't be surprised if they found a way for the fights to look more real. Who knows but that's one thing they talked about during the T7 dev videos. They spent a lot of time talking about how the game looks as an actual fight so whatever keeps them in that direction is probably where we're heading. They've mentioned new characters with particular fighting styles and from a character standpoint, it doesn't look quite as cliche martial arts as before but with that said visually, a lot of those mechanics keep evolving.

I'd be down with that. I do like how they've evolved the cinematic aspect in T7, but they have more work to do. Also, if they're going down that road it'd be great to have more traditional kung fu people like Lei who look impressive just doing their moves.

If they put Eliza in a new Tekken spinoff that was like a Namco version of Darkstalkers, I'd play that in a second.

cordy

Banned
I'd be down with that. I do like how they've evolved the cinematic aspect in T7, but they have more work to do. Also, if they're going down that road it'd be great to have more traditional kung fu people like Lei who look impressive just doing their moves.

If they put Eliza in a new Tekken spinoff that was like a Namco version of Darkstalkers, I'd play that in a second.

Completely agree. Lei's just the guy for that. He's perfect.

So there's no Bounds in this, right?

Does that make it more or less just like Tekken 5, or did that add some sort of new substitute for the bounds?

Nyx

I'm babysitting for friends atm and probably will be home at midnight, just as Tekken 7 unlocks on my PS4. :)

Think I'm going to try Katarina and Kazumi first, they look cool and I've always enjoyed the female fighters in Tekken games.

Arizato

I want to play Tekken 7. But I have a question. Does Tekken 7 have that mode like Tekken 5 had where you fight computer players with funny names and get ranked up depending on how well you are doing?

cordy

Banned
I want to play Tekken 7. But I have a question. Does Tekken 7 have that mode like Tekken 5 had where you fight computer players with funny names and get ranked up depending on how well you are doing?

Treasure Battle. It also lets you unlock customization options and win money.

SarusGray

I almost tricked a walmart employee to selling me a copy of Tekken 7 early. My charm didn't work when he realized I didn't care about the story of his pug and was salivating inside over the game.

I think they're toes in the water, but for TxSF, not the future of the Tekken series.

SkylineRKR

Bought a Pro today, special offer 150 bucks for 500gb Ps4 trade in. Plus, I got a free copy of Horizon with the Pro. Not a bad deal.

When I got home, Tekken 7 was delivered. But first have to jam 2tb into the Pro, then update, then restore backup. Its almost done now. I remembered I should have gotten a pre order code. So I dug into my trash can and yup it was plastered on the cellophane. Almost gone, lol.

Pejo

I'm pretty excited. I haven't played a Tekken since...I'm not really sure. Maybe 5? I was a huge fan of 1-3, but kinda fell off after my local friends stopped playing fighting games.

Ain't no way I'm going to be competitive, but I'm going to continue doing what I have done every single installment and pick Yoshimitsu and do my (hopefully returning) 13 hit combo that I've muscle memoried since the first game. I keep reading that he's got a high bar of execution and learning, but let's be honest, I'm going to be destroyed online no matter who I pick.

Nick_C

That's one reason why I love the series. I remember when my family got T2 and me and my brother were constantly playing it. It just continued until now where we're both picking up the latest fighters. In this game for example, with all the unlockable movies, I'm going to have fun unlocking it. Personally, I wouldn't have minded if we unlocked characters because that's a classic thing but I can see why they didn't go that route.

Yeah I'd honestly say this is the best Akuma's ever looked in any game. I know people disagree but hey that's what I think.

We played our fair share of T 1&2, but when 3 hit it was something else. There was just so much there. The character models looked incredible, there was so much to unlock, Tekken Force, Tekken Ball... Though I wouldn't mind unlocking straight palette swaps like Tiger or the school outfits from 3.

Also, it'd be pretty funny if this is the best FG that features a SF character in the last couple of years.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I almost tricked a walmart employee to selling me a copy of Tekken 7 early. My charm didn't work when he realized I didn't care about the story of his pug and was salivating inside over the game.

Why didnt you go to the backroom with him and act like a dedicated fan and do anything for an early copy. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

sasuke_91

Got my copy today and have to say the game feels great. Movement is a little sluggish, but not as sluggish as I remember it from earlier builds. Some inputs were swapped which takes some time to get used to. Steve's sendo smasher is FC d/f+2 instead of WS+1+2 for example.
Xiaoyu is amazing in this game. Playing her almost feels like cheating. Winning is fun though xD

Rage Drive and Rage Arts are also a great addition.

Top Bottom