• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 Season Pass Roadmap Detailed, Confirms 2 Guest Characters for the game

I need Kiryu from Yakuza in this Tekken.

He fits well in a Tekken game.
a couple of years ago I made a Kazuya Mishima vs Kazuma Kiryu thread, and Kiryu won, by 2 votes. there were 420 votes. it was perfect.
^Kiryu and Kazuya share the same VO. And they sound the same as characters. A little jarring!
No they don't. Kazuya is voiced by Masanori Shinohara and Kiryu is voiced by Takaya Kuroda

Loona

a couple of years ago I made a Kazuya Mishima vs Kazuma Kiryu thread, and Kiryu won, by 2 votes. there were 420 votes. it was perfect.

Well, in Project X Zone 2 not only does Kiryu share a game with the Mishimas, in the end he teams up with Kazuya for a "friendly" match with the other martial artists in the game, so there's a licensing and questionable lore precedent.

I gotta take care not to expect too much from this announcement through, dreaming up of a NamcoCapcom/SNK/Sega crossover and things not developing quite like that won't do me any good... on the other hand, Harada has expressed the desire of putting together something like that, although cool as he may be, Kiryu isn't exactly a primary sega fighting game character for this sort of thing... Gouki isn't either for Capcom, but he's pretty damn close, not only for his 1-on-1 fighter history, but also for basically getting the MvC ball rolling back in X-Men Children of the Atom...

Fitts

So it's only getting two dlc characters? And they're both guest characters? Sweet... I'm good with vanilla then.

Malice215

I rather see returning or original characters than two guests, but they'll help bring attention back to Tekken 7 by the time they're finally ready.

They could add another character from Street Fighter to go with Akuma. I don't expect them to add a guest from Soulcalibur. They've added content from Tekken to SC a bunch of times but not the other way around, so I don't expect that to change. I wouldn't mind Geese or some sweater richards from DOA added to Tekken.

I need Kiryu from Yakuza in this Tekken.

He fits well in a Tekken game.

would be amazing, but hardly a "season pass seller" for the masses :D i think they are trying to go for a more mainstream and known characters.

I would expect something like Scorpion from Mortal Kombat and Kasumi from DOA.

Well, in Project X Zone 2 not only does Kiryu share a game with the Mishimas, in the end he teams up with Kazuya for a "friendly" match with the other martial artists in the game, so there's a licensing and questionable lore precedent.
I know, I mentioned that in the thread. Was it canon though?

I gotta take care not to expect too much from this announcement through, dreaming up of a NamcoCapcom/SNK/Sega crossover and things not developing quite like that won't do me any good... on the other hand, Harada has expressed the desire of putting together something like that, although cool as he may be, Kiryu isn't exactly a primary sega fighting game character for this sort of thing... Gouki isn't either for Capcom, but he's pretty damn close, not only for his 1-on-1 fighter history, but also for basically getting the MvC ball rolling back in X-Men Children of the Atom...
how you figure that? he may not be from a fighting game, but all he does is fight.

J-Skee

Deluxe Edition from PSN is tempting. Very very tempting...

I feel like I made a mistake getting the disc version of Street Fighter V. Games like these should be digital so it can always be available. Oh I wish the PSN store at least did 20% off of new releases like Amazon Prime.

cordy

Banned
Sakura and Sagat. Been saying that since DLC was announced and it makes the most sense. Sakura can give us the classic Tekken school stage too and she can have a costume that's NOT a schoolgirl costume as well. They also play different from Akuma to a degree but not too a large degree that they wouldn't be using them to test SFxT.

Let's get it.

jbug617

Banned
xdghjys.jpg

Iori from Idolmaster

Doomshine

Guys, I think I know who the two guest characters are:

Harada: If it were a game character, let me think. I would ask for two—one from a fighting game, and one that is not.

I think from fighting games, it is definitely Akuma, and I think that it is a good choice, as you can tell from the overwhelmingly positive feedback. If I had to choose another, perhaps Geese Howard. I think a bad man like him would fit well in Tekken, and I am confident we can make him look pretty cool in TK7.

Regarding a non-fighting game character, that's difficult. Any good ideas? Personally, I would like to take Spelunker from the SNES. When someone chooses him from the character select screen, he is so surprised to be chosen that he dies before the match!

http://www.gamerevolution.com/featu...street-fighter-pc-port-and-tekken-cart-race--

Not a very interesting season pass... unless the 2 guest characters are really worth it, a new mode and some costumes doesn't do the trick...

Skilletor

i get that man but my point is it just did not sell as well as its predecessor. regardless of circumstance

And my point is that it sold well, regardless of how much better its predecessor did.

But enough derail. SC5 sold well (1.7 million copies at least), and Project Soul has been teasing something for a long time.

I think the series is dead, too, but it wouldn't be SC5's fault. SC5 barely got made after SC4 sold over 2 million copies. SoulCalibur is just not a priority at Namco.

And my point is that it sold well, regardless of how much better its predecessor did.

But enough derail. SC5 sold well (1.7 million copies at least), and Project Soul has been teasing something for a long time.

I think the series is dead, too, but it wouldn't be SC5's fault. SC5 barely got made after SC4 sold over 2 million copies. SoulCalibur is just not a priority at Namco.
it sold well but I dunno if it sold a well as bandai namco wanted, you know. that's the thing. maybe it was sc5's fault, maybe not.

Disappointed at them putting characters behind the season pass, but at least they're guest characters.

Jotaro Kujo and Boruto lets go!

5 had a low budget and bombed so that's the end of that chapter.

I saw a ton of people that paid $100+ to play as Seong Mina in that F2P game. Really surprised they didn't even try to do a Tekken Revolution style game.

Ryce

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Pac-Man and Nightmare. Pac-Man will be a Dr. B creation with a slightly mechanized look, and he'll come with an arcade stage filled with classic Namco cabinets. Nightmare will have a new costume designed by Soulcalibur artists and come with an Ostrheinsburg Castle stage.

I think Geese is a good fit, but I don't know if he's "mainstream" enough for this. He'd only excite the most hardcore of fighting game fans.

Loona

I know, I mentioned that in the thread. Was it canon though?

I assume it follows Super Robot Wars rules (which it's canon to) - everything in the source games is canon to it, what happens in it isn't canon to the source games.

So if there's a PXZ3 where both the Mishimas and Gouki return, expect both Gouki's shenanigans in Namco X Capcom and Tekken 7 to be canon to it and referenced there, but the NxC events aren't really expected to count in the Tekken series.

how you figure that? he may not be from a fighting game, but all he does is fight.

And manage an orphanage and businesses and stuff, not to mention some shooting in Dead Souls - it's just that Yakuza games are closer to the 1-vs-many school of fighting games, while Tekken seems more likely to include characters from a 1-vs-1 series (which tend to have more more and account for more possible states, like crouching and jumping attacks, for example), and Sega has some famous enough characters in that domain they could resort to before someone like Kiryu.

Mind you, I still think it'd be cool to have him in, I just don't expect him to be the first choice - his move would probably be simpler to adapt to Tekken's control scheme while still making him feel like himself, and Yakuza also has some item-specific attacks which would play well with the fact recent Tekken games have had attacks modified by characters equipping items which are otherwise purely for aesthetics, so there's that too...

Throw in some weird ass ArcSys character in there.

There aren't that many that would blend well with Tekken's aesthetics and weaponlessness though... still, I guess someone like Slayer could make it, especially with Eliza in the game...

Sakura and Sagat. Been saying that since DLC was announced and it makes the most sense. Sakura can give us the classic Tekken school stage too and she can have a costume that's NOT a schoolgirl costume as well. They also play different from Akuma to a degree but not too a large degree that they wouldn't be using them to test SFxT.

Makoto and Alex seem like much better fits for Tekken to me, even if the Tekken engine by now has learned to coexist with projectiles...

Doomshine

Seriously though, I will be disappointed if it's not an SNK character considering both Harada and Murray's favorite fighting games are both made by SNK.

I assume it follows Super Robot Wars rules (which it's canon to) - everything in the source games is canon to it, what happens in it isn't canon to the source games.

So if there's a PXZ3 where both the Mishimas and Gouki return, expect both Gouki's shenanigans in Namco X Capcom and Tekken 7 to be canon to it and referenced there, but the NxC events aren't really expected to count in the Tekken series.
well then there we got our answer then.

if I had a 3DS i would've loved to play this game. the idea of kazuya and kiryu in a game together is just, yes!!!

so basically if the events of yakuza and tekken happened in X but not the other way around, basically it is an alternative universe.

And manage an orphanage and businesses and stuff, not to mention some shooting in Dead Souls - it's just that Yakuza games are closer to the 1-vs-many school of fighting games, while Tekken seems more likely to include characters from a 1-vs-1 series (which tend to have more more and account for more possible states, like crouching and jumping attacks, for example), and Sega has some famous enough characters in that domain they could resort to before someone like Kiryu.
in terms of the gameplay shit you're talking about yeah, Yakuza is very different but bandai namco knows how to adapt foreign video game characters. they'll make it work for Kiryu if he's there.

As for talking about Kiryu's personal life...yeah, he has one, as does Kazuya - running G corp and striving for world domination. Dead souls is also not canon so for all we know, the only time Kiryu seriously needed to use a gun was Yakuza 0.

Mind you, I still think it'd be cool to have him in, I just don't expect him to be the first choice - his move would probably be simpler to adapt to Tekken's control scheme while still making him feel like himself, and Yakuza also has some item-specific attacks which would play well with the fact recent Tekken games have had attacks modified by characters equipping items which are otherwise purely for aesthetics, so there's that too...
yeah you're probably right in that he's not gonna be the first choice. so I suppose the best chance I have of seeing kiryu and kazuya going at it is a hypothetical playstation allstars battle royale sequel =P

Top Bottom