• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7's Leo referred to as "he" on official site, had boobs in last game

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Leo also has a facial hair option in Tekken 7:

CSTdamkUAAAWQff.jpg

LordKasual

Banned
...So you're just being dishonest and making things up about the OP? lol

I think you make a bigger deal about people allegedly making a big deal about this than anyone else.

...bruh OP started the thread and ive mentioned him once, what the hell are you going on about

You think my statements were all directly aimed at a single post in the thread? Where am I being dishonest? Where am i making shit up?

Have I done something to you recently?

...bruh OP started the thread and ive mentioned him once, what the hell are you going on about

You think my statements were all directly aimed at a single post in the thread? Where am I being dishonest? Where am i making shit up?

Have I done something to you recently?

I'm pointing out that you replied to perhaps one of the most innocuous and even ways for a person to discuss this by saying that they are reading to deep into this. My point was and still is that you seem too bothered by the fact that this discussion is happening. Ultimately, this comment is really sticks out to me:

She's androgynous, the theme around her was to keep her sex ambiguous. But now that we know her sex....she's instantly trans? How? The character has never made such a statement, so how would you know?

Just sounds like too much of a stretch to me. When Leo HERSELF starts referring to herself as a male, then she's a trans character.

Why is Leo's identity as genderfluid, or as a trans man, such an issue to you? I don't take any issue with people not seeing it that way, but it's just so weird that this character, whose gender is ambiguous, who people use varying pronouns to identify, is so rigidly cis to you.

Mechazawa

I would love to see someone explain
gender fluid to Harada

This is why it's hard to take the notion of Leo being genderfluid seriously.

Harada has kinda come off as an idiot when it's come to the topic of female sexual representation these past couple years("SJWs") and I have a hard time imagining he's somehow more progressive on this topic.

LordKasual

Banned
I'm pointing out that you replied to perhaps one of the most innocuous and even ways for a person to discuss this by saying that they are reading to deep into this. My point was and still is that you seem too bothered by the fact that this discussion is happening.

yeah well you're wrong.

it really sounds like you want me to have an issue with it more than anything

I was initially replying to someone on the topic that people are jumping to conclusions, believing the developers may be slighting the issue for some cheap representation. My point is that the developers probably didn't have this deeper discussion in mind when creating Leo in the first place.

it's just so weird that this character, whose gender is ambiguous, who people use varying pronouns to identify, is so rigidly cis to you.

there isn't a damn thing "rigidly cis" about this character, it's a girl who tries her hardest to look like a dude

where are you getting these words from?????????????????

Razmos

I'd like to think this is some nice representation of a female to male trans character, but the cynic in me makes me think they are doing it as a joke or just changing the characters gender/backstory between games to confuse people.

Lokimaru

Leo was training in Juusenkyo with his Pop and Fell into the Spring of drowned Girl, now he turns into a Girl when splashed with cold water. Panda is actually his Dad.

there isn't a damn thing "rigidly cis" about this character, it's a girl who tries her hardest to look like a dude

where are you getting these words from?????????????????

That's a cool take on the character you have, and that's all it is. I don't think that the designers have said anything about Leo being a girl who wants to be seen as a guy, that's just how you see them.

Basketball

I hope folks don't get all flustered by Leo being a chick
I mean ever since the character debuted people have wondered and Harada answered

No need to take it more than it's worth and look for deeper meaning in a game with fighting panda bears, boxing raptors and kangaroos. Look at Yoshimitsu's alterations ... he is now a space ninja squid!

KillLaCam

Banned
Leos always confused me lol. I thought he was alwas just a girl identifying as a guy.

Edit: You can ignore Tag games for most things like this. Like Slim bob isnt a thing either.

wartama

Neo Member
Hopefully I'm not derailing the thread with this question, but are there any other video game characters who are genderfluid/ambigous gender?

I love the fact that Leo is designed with genderfluidity in mind, but I gotta say the way that fact is being handled in the examples provided by OP is distasteful.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
The question is what pronoun does Leo prefer for themselves?

In Japanese this is not an issue, so it's a question of localization.

Leo -is- officially without a specified gender, even if their birth name is officially feminine and they were born female-bodied.

KillLaCam

Banned
genderunicorn1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Yeah this is weird to me. The first parts make sense but what does what you're attracted to have to do with your gender?

Like if I was a born a male and identify as a male and am attracted to females in both ways. How does that make my gender different than a male who was born a male and is attracted to males in both ways? Like we're both guy's right?

Edit: being 100% serious

The question is what pronoun does Leo prefer for themselves?

In Japanese this is not an issue, so it's a question of localization.

Leo -is- officially without a specified gender, even if their birth name is officially feminine and they were born female-bodied.

What are you talking about? The official Tekken US site (quoted in the OP) says "his" so we can assume Leo's preferred/assumed gender is male

DR2K

Banned
Tekken 7s female roster is a joke, of course they'd retcon one of the more interesting female characters.

Maybe Tekken 7 will clear this up a bit. Fighters have side stories in this game that (presumably) are a bit more detailed than what's come before.

Tekken 7s female roster is a joke, of course they'd retcon one of the more interesting female characters.

Why tho?

This is why it's hard to take the notion of Leo being genderfluid seriously.

Harada has kinda come off as an idiot when it's come to the topic of female sexual representation these past couple years("SJWs") and I have a hard time imagining he's somehow more progressive on this topic.

I've been thinking about this and I'm not personally convinced there's any inherent conflict here. In the West we wrap a lot of these different identity issues into a general push for diverse representation (something Harada obviously dislikes), but in a Japanese context these issues could be seen as totally unconnected.

More specifically I always assumed it was being offered as some kind of fetish bait anyway, not that this necessarily takes away from Leo's actually pretty reasonable representation.

(Or maybe I'm just subconsciously trying to come up with excuses so I can buy Tekken 7 without feeling like a creep.)

Pizza

Maybe Leo just finally got the courage to transition and is reading this thread wishing people just rolled with it after he requested Tekken to use masculine pronouns

Y'all should be ashamed of your words and deeds

KillLaCam

Banned
Maybe Leo just finally got the courage to transition and is reading this thread wishing people just rolled with it after he requested Tekken to use masculine pronouns

Y'all should be ashamed of your words and deeds
I still wanna know what deeds he was talking about lol

Kyzon

Leo is a species of androgynous beings who pass the mantle down to the next in line. Like Raven, Yoshimitsu, and Blue (Blue's Clues)

Yeah this is weird to me. The first parts make sense but what does what you're attracted to have to do with your gender?

Like if I was a born a male and identify as a male and am attracted to females in both ways. How does that make my gender different than a male who was born a male and is attracted to males in both ways? Like we're both guy's right?

Edit: being 100% serious[/QUOTE]

It doesn't it's just covering all the bases...

Gender: brain, sex assigned at birth: groin, attraction and preference "heart" (also head but for the sake of the graphic it's heart).

It's meant to also tackle people who say things like trans lesbian? If you're attracted to women why not stay as a man?

genderunicorn1.jpg

It doesn't it's just covering all the bases...

Gender: brain, sex assigned at birth: groin, attraction and preference "heart" (also head but for the sake of the graphic it's heart).

It's an attempt to explain all the different concepts.

It's meant to also tackle people who say things like trans lesbian? If you're attracted to women why not stay as a man?

Eusis

I think it's mainly addressing people who feel that gender identity and sexuality are completely intertwined when that's not the case, where were ideas in the past that trans women were just really gay men, when you can be the horniest gay man and find the idea of being female completely repulsive, while a trans woman could be completely into women despite having fully transitioned from male to female.

DR2K

Banned
Lucky Chloe single-handedly ruined the good name of all female characters in the game.

Josie is a bigger abomination. I've never seen a fighter sob like a 3 year old. Then there's female Raven. Ms. Male character. Lucky Chloe being a piece of shit is obvious. Katrina looks uninspired, between the boring play style to the ridiculous design.

Then there's to loss of Anna, Julia, Zafina. Kunimatsu, etc...

Top Bottom