• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7's Leo referred to as "he" on official site, had boobs in last game

I feel like there's a difference between "this character doesn't identify with either gender/identifies with both" and "Girl or boy?? I dunno EL OH EL". The former is making a definitive statement on the character, whereas the latter is just the devs trolling.

Aizo

Banned
I think many of you are giving a Japanese dev too much credit. Do you know how unknown LGBTQ issues are in Japan? Transgender and nonbinary people are even less understood than in the west.

I have a couple examples. My friend has no problem with having a female body, but likes to appear more masculine and uses male pronouns for himself. His coworkers don't understand at all. This is merely anecdotal, obviously. My other friend lives at an LGBTQ sharehouse, and her trans roommate has detailed how horrible it is to be trans here. These sort of things in Japan make me feel very doubtful that they're doing something progressive. Far more likely they're doing something else. Okama jokes being so prevalent on Japanese TV make me think it'll still be a while before we see progress in this regard.

Leo is my favorite character to play as in Tekken 6 and 7. I hope this gets explained by Harada unless you all are right, then it could be that the idea is it's none of our business to know what Leo's physical sex is and only what he presents.

People acting like this is a new deal with Leo.

Her gender being ambiguous and dressing up more neutral was always the case.

Harada switched it how he felt over the years.

Aizo

Banned
You know what's cool? Right after I made my post, I went up the stairs at this train station in Osaka. There are three men wearing wigs and kimono dressed as women about to get on the train with me. They all look very happy. Made me smile.

Crossdressing is usually just the butt of a joke here despite it being common to find a couple cross dressing bars or cafes in most major cities (often in red light districts). There is still a pretty big gap between how people express their gender versus how they're viewed by society; this is obviously an issue everywhere, but Japan is further behind.

Basketball

Leo also has a facial hair option in Tekken 7:

CSTdamkUAAAWQff.jpg

that's just Evil Leo

KillLaCam

Banned
I think it's mainly addressing people who feel that gender identity and sexuality are completely intertwined when that's not the case, where were ideas in the past that trans women were just really gay men, when you can be the horniest gay man and find the idea of being female completely repulsive, while a trans woman could be completely into women despite having fully transitioned from male to female.

Ohh thanks! I didnt even think about that situation.

It doesn't it's just covering all the bases...

Gender: brain, sex assigned at birth: groin, attraction and preference "heart" (also head but for the sake of the graphic it's heart).

It's an attempt to explain all the different concepts.

It's meant to also tackle people who say things like trans lesbian? If you're attracted to women why not stay as a man?

Makes sense. I never realized that someone would say the trans lesbian thing.

Explaining something like that with a model is kinda hard it seems

Top Bottom