• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken (Cross) Street Fighter Announced (PS3/360) - Developed by Namco-Bandai

Dr. Light said:
This makes absolutely no sense.

Why isn't this Tekken vs. Virtua Fighter, or better yet Namco vs. Sega (with all that entails)? That makes perfect sense. That fits together. Street Fighter vs. Mortal Kombat also makes sense. This doesnt.

1. One is 2D, the other 3D.

2. One has fireballs and super moves, one is strictly martial arts.

3. One has big jumps like all 2D fighters, the other has sidestepping.

Either projectiles would be overpowered, or you could sidestep them and they'd be pretty much useless. The two systems simply do not go together. If you're going to give Tekken characters SF-style moves and vice versa, then it bares no resemblence to the original game.

Why not Tekken vs. VF, damnit?
You seem to be thinking about this WAY too literally...

hxa155

abstract alien said:
Haha, to be fair...SNK games were seldomly close to Capcom's as far as quality is concerned. I know, I know...they were fun, but come on lol

SNK is a pretty small company. Namco on the other hand, is not. I'm pretty sure this will do fine, even though it will be released after the Capcom version, according to Ono.

AdroitOne

Neo Member
abstract alien said:
Haha, to be fair...SNK games were seldomly close to Capcom's as far as quality is concerned. I know, I know...they were fun, but come on lol

I disagree. Samurai Shodown series and The Last Blade series gave Capcom a run for it's money (personally, they are way better than anything Capcom has created, but that's just me).

GhaleonQ

AdroitOne said:
I disagree. Samurai Shodown series and The Last Blade series gave Capcom a run for it's money (personally, they are way better than anything Capcom has created, but that's just me).

*raises hand* The Last Blade series, especially, is my favorite of all-time and has more style than anything Capcom's produced (and I don't just mean fighters).

Capcom has it much easier than Namco.
3D to 2D easy compare to 2D to 3D and that's not even talking about the amount of moves the Tekken chars have . Then you have all the stuff the Tekken chars can wear .

abstract alien said:

Nah when comes to fighting games SNK is up there with Capcom .

gundamkyoukai said:
Nah when comes to fighting games SNK is up there with Capcom .
I think design wise and conceptually, they were. Like I've said be for, I've sank many a quarter into their machines and loved it...but when it comes to finished product and polish, I've never seen one that really matched up. Sure, the idea and themes of the game might, but the realization didn't.

Namco on the other hand, regardless of your love or hate for tekken and soul calibur, have produced better products than SNK.

AAK

Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku! said:
Shoryukens won't have much of an effect in this game

Thunder god Fist bro (DJin, Heihachi, Kazuya, and Bob), though it's not that great, but still definitely not useless.

AAK said:
Thunder god Fist bro (DJin, Heihachi, Kazuya, and Bob), though it's not that great, but still definitely not useless.
Pretty much. You can't think of it as a street fighter style uppercut anymore since it will be in tekken. Give it different properties and uses that fit a 3D tekken game, not a SF game.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Dr. Light said:

Why isn't this Tekken vs. Virtua Fighter, or better yet Namco vs. Sega (with all that entails)? That makes perfect sense. That fits together. Street Fighter vs. Mortal Kombat also makes sense. This doesnt.

Either projectiles would be overpowered, or you could sidestep them and they'd be pretty much useless. The two systems simply do not go together. If you're going to give Tekken characters SF-style moves and vice versa, then it bares no resemblence to the original game.

Well, I'll tell you why.

Because the people running Sega are completely clueless, and live in a bubble where they think they're still #1.

Tekken vs. VF WAS going to happen, but Sega put a stop to it. They didn't want to get involved with it. Now they're out of the loop, and their game (which IMO is the best fighting game) is going to suffer because of it. :p

Dali

While I think it's nice Capcom is embracing its lost fervor for fighting games, I think a youredoingitwrong.gif has never been more appropriate. This is the most lukewarm I've felt about some sort of surprise game coming out of leftfield ever. I've lost my love for the Tekken universe and Tekken gameplay, and I've never been a fan of the SFIV character design. Why couldn't this have been another SNK crossover, so we'd finally get SF characters in 2d (I know the answer to this)? More realistically Namco X Capcom would have been cooler. That way Capcom wouldn't have been inclined to use just its ugly ass SFIV character designs, and Namco wouldn't, in all likelihood, be using just its Tekken models for their version./rant

I will say the Tekken characters look good. Someone pointed out it may be because they didn't have to make the jump to 3D. I call bs. Makoto, Dudley, and Ibuki had to make that jump. The reason some SFIV characters look like ass is their SFIV redesign and nothing more.
/okay, for real end rant

AdroitOne

Neo Member
CcrooK said:
Chances are it may play like that. Who knows. Are we suppose to get a reveal of this soon or wait till AOU?

Well, in a Famitsu interview, Ono was saying that they've been working on the concept for a year (this is concerning SF vs Tekken) but didn't actually start developing the game until 2 months ago. He also said to not expect any new news until next April at the least.

MiamiWesker said:
I assume this will be the 3D one, I bet this one will be the more popular one.

This will definitely be the version that I get. I am so glad to see them doing this. I wish more companies would work together like this.

AAK

Oichi said:
Well, I'll tell you why.

Because the people running Sega are completely clueless, and live in a bubble where they think they're still #1.

Tekken vs. VF WAS going to happen, but Sega put a stop to it. They didn't want to get involved with it. Now they're out of the loop, and their game (which IMO is the best fighting game) is going to suffer because of it. :p

Namco isn't any smarter... making their new Tekken console only.

LowParry

Dali said:
While I think it's nice Capcom is embracing its lost fervor for fighting games, I think a youredoingitwrong.gif has never been more appropriate. This is the most lukewarm I've felt about some sort of surprise game coming out of leftfield ever. I've lost my love for the Tekken universe and Tekken gameplay, and I've never been a fan of the SFIV character design. Why couldn't this have been another SNK crossover, so we'd finally get SF characters in 2d (I know the answer to this)? More realistically Namco X Capcom would have been cooler. That way Capcom wouldn't have been inclined to use just its ugly ass SFIV character designs, and Namco wouldn't, in all likelihood, be using just its Tekken models for their version./rant
t

Because SNK is making up for their last shitty game. And the making up is looking extremely well.

AAK said:
Namco isn't any smarter... making their new Soul Calibur console only.

Fixed.

I'm just glad it's using the SSFIV engine not the TvC one ^_^

also, I wont mind if the namco produced one uses the T6 engine as long as loading isnt a problem anymore.

rvy

Banned
Dr. Light said:

Hey! This is a 13 year old boy's wet dream, you better stop making sense right this second! Besides, the game looks good. They're not going to release some unbalanced shit that's unplayable.

Igo

AdroitOne said:
Anyone remember this little teaser Sega created for VF5: Final Showdown. Would y'all want Tekken vs Street Fighter playing like this :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K-5ZYG8WDg

:lol Can't lie, that was kinda awesome.

I never cared for Tekken but this sounds really interesting. A lot more so than SF X Tekken to me. Possibly because I had a lot of fun watching the Tekken 6 comp at Evo this year. I Really hope Namco/Bandai can pull this off.

yurinka

_dementia said:
read the thread title
AAK said:
It says so in the Topic of the thread (PS360)

But I'm hoping otherwise.
To announce it for PS3 and 360 isn't the same than to say it isn't going to be released in arcade.

SFIV was announced as arcade at first. And SSFIV was announced as console as first. Then both ended with both console and arcade. As I remember, all Tekken has been released in both arcade and console, but not at the same time. And both game engines are ready to develop the game in both platforms.

I can't see any reason or any Capcom/Namco statement proving these games are going to be a console only games (for Japan, obviously). Maybe they release the console version first, but I'm pretty sure there will be arcade version of both TvsSF and SFvsT.

hamchan

As a person who loves Tekken I give my support to this game! Fuck all the haters, you have a shitload of other fighting games to play these days anyways.

seady

Very interesting, but they need to come up with a good subtitle for each game. What they have currently will definitely confuses people.

Street Fighter x Tekken : Cross Generation of Heroes
Tekken x Street Fighter : Clash of the Living Legends

or whatever.

Dizzle24

Gonna by both versions and lock myself away for a few weeks to play the shit out of them. This is epic news.
I suck at fighting games!
:D

Mar

I like what they've done here. In that, both styles of game are covered by the two different titles. And while I think this one will be an utter pile (Namco and 3D fighting), the OTHER one could be awesome.

Still sad there's Namco in my Capcom though.

Please make Lei Wulong top tier character, i'm getting tired of no skill mishima style players. They have no showmanship just poke poke poke juggle win.

AAK

Mishima's are not top tier and take ridiculous amount of skill to play as.

If you're playing online, then it's a completely separate case.

Still sad there's Namco in my Capcom though.

Boo hoo, play something else then.

EDIT: And while Le's moves have overall weak properties, his mixup game is his strength, that's where you gotta excel at.

hamchan

AAK said:

I'm pretty sure the whole Mishima family or most of them(Kazuya, Heihachi, Jin, Devil Jin) has been at least near top for awhile, well at least in Tekken 5: DR.

I never played too much of T6 since the console version sucked.

EDIT: Damn smileys

AAK said:

If you're playing online, then it's a completely separate case.

Boo hoo, play something else then.

EDIT: And while Le's moves have overall weak properties, his mixup game is his strength, that's where you gotta excel at.

they did give lei more openers and stronger higher priority attacks but it took 4 iterations to get to that point. If you watch the tournament scene if there is a Lei player no one expects him to get far but everyone watches because of the amount of skill needed to play since Lei's auto combos are all relatively weak.

Mishima's have always been top tier, it might take skill to remember long chains and timing but it's not very entertaining to watch some guy poking till he gets a launcher and then auto combo to a win.

AdroitOne

Neo Member
AAK said:
DR and Tag is a different story all together. But they still were damn hard players to master.

I've always thought the Mishimas were pretty great skill based characters. They aren't as inviting as say Law, Steve or Lili. Jin in T6 is really hard to master in my opinion.

L00P

It's going to be weird playing SF characters Tekken style. Can't say the same thing about the other game:lol

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Even for gamers, even for Gaffers, I cannot believe the bitching over the very idea of this crossover.

So like Ryu vs A TENTACLE EYE GOD in Marvel Vs Capcom makes sense but vs Kazuya is just gays lol?

Tatsunoko vs Capcom makes sense but Namco fighting game characters versus Capcom fighting game characters is unimaginably insane and like crazytalk?

Naw, I think there's just a bunch of disingenuous babble from people who are so petty about where their pet favorite characters show up that they're making way too big of a deal out of everything. (It's the meme that Street Fighter players should hate Tekken and vis versa. Gawd, take it back to the schoolyard kids :lol :lol :lol )

Top Bottom