• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
CLA25b-UMAAM9mZ.jpg:large

Love mastercup posters.

Tourney's hype too I guess.

Dereck

New characters can be cool, but they can also not be if they are not creative, are derivative, or pandering. T7 is on the right track with adding new characters to make the game seem new, but they don't have to do this, at least to the extent that they've done it. T7 has six new characters (so far), and it already has close to 30 characters. I don't think T7 needs more than three new characters. My premature opinion is that half of the new characters are either derivative or not exciting. Fighting games don't always need new characters, sometimes, what they need is to make unpopular characters more exciting. Jun Kazama has been in only one mainline Tekken game, the same with Kunimitsu. Wang is often perceived as a bland character, why is that? It's because Tekken has pushed him aside. Josie Rizal is cool, on paper, but in the game, she's close to being a Bruce palette swap. Why not delete Josie Rizal, and add a brand new Jun? Tekken already has a bunch of characters that no one cares about, I think they could transform old characters like Gun Jack, Forest Law, Wang, Michelle, etc.

2jMGc0m.jpg

Here's T4's character select screen, we've got three new characters, two if you count Christie as an Eddy clone, T7 could have looked like this, instead, in T7, we have a cast of a bunch of characters who are communal already, who have been in more than 1 Tekken mainline game, this makes the cast a little rote. I'm gonna propose a little silly hypothetical T7 roster of 21 characters, let's walk through this.

q1Vf5xM.png

Before we start, this isn't the exact roster that I want, this isn't even a good roster, but to me, it's more interesting than the current T7 roster, here's why.

Like I was saying before, in my imagination, a timeskip happened in T7, what's happening here?

Anna is back, she's older, has a new look, that's cool. Forest Law is back, in his 30s, peep the facial hair. We've got Katarina, Yoshimitsu from T7, Ganryu is back, Miguel is back, Paul is back, but he ditched the hair gel. Kazuma is undoubtedly one of the best new characters ever added to Tekken, and Michelle is back, because she gets no love.

...Baek Doo San is back, why? He sucks right? He's bland, right? Well, in this hypothetical character roster, he's back, but only because Hwoarang decided to use all of Baek Doo San's best moves for T7, I don't know why, but it's explained in the story somewhere. Hwoarang is a palette swap for Baek Doo San, but he has his own storyline and ending. Shaheen is in because, why not?

Marduk is back, just because Marduk is awesome.

T7 is saturated with young women which is why in this roster, there are only two, two if you count Katarina into that same realm, I don't know how old she is, or two if you count Kunimitsu as being a young woman. Onto Sebsatian, this time around, Lili is too busy being rich, too busy being Lili, so her butler decided to enter T7. If you press start on Sebastian, you'll be able to use Lili. Wang is back, he has a new motive, that's cool.

That's Bob, but he looks different, what's different about him? He's healthy, but he's also been nerfed, supremely. Remember his T6 introduction?

tKecCI8.jpg

Bob has already stated that he doesn't like being skinny. Let's just say, that hypothetically, Bob gets back into shape. This is the Bob that would be in T7. He looks less silly. But, for the people that really like Bob, the original, obese Bob would be a palette swap.

Bruce is back, and older, Jin remains unchanged from T7, instead of having Devil Jin as a separate character, he's a part of Jin as a rageart transformation, Jack-7 is in, Jun is back, Armor King is subbing in for King, and Kunimitsu is back, with a maskless costume being the 1P costume, and the masked version of herself being the 2P costume. With this kind of stuff, there are going to be some glaring omissions like Ling, Lei, Nina, Lee, characters like that. But, the reasons for them not being in the game should be explained.

Nina should appear in Anna's ending, or introduction. King should be in Armor King's ending, or introduction, do you see what I'm getting at? Just because a character isn't in a game, doesn't mean that they cease to exist. For me, this is what could make a Tekken game more exciting, you've got three brand new characters, palette swaps, brand new looks, brand new storylines, and a timeskip. I'm sure you didn't forget that Tekken 3 also had only 20 characters.

rwNi19U.jpg

MikeMyers

If you are gonna discount Christie as a new character because her moveset is a rehash of Eddy's you should probably count Jin as a new character since he was given a new moveset.

Numb

Nice man. Giving different looking swaps is not something Namco would put money in but it would be useful. Brings back alot of guys without having a giant roster and makes people happy plus have them in the story. Fighting games have an issue with making female fighters all look pretty young so it can't be helped. Also what Mike said.

Sayah

If I had to choose a roster of 20 characters, it would be:

Returning Characters

Tekken 1
Heihachi
Kazuya (rage art transformation into devil)
Nina
King
Paul
Yoshimitsu
Law

Tekken 2
None

Tekken 3
Hwoarang
Xiaoyu
Eddy

Tekken 4
Steve
Marduk

Tekken 5
Feng
Lili

Tekken 6
Zafina
Miguel

New Characters
Claudio
Katarina
Shaheen
Kazumi (rage art transformation into devil kazumi)

Notes:
-I left out Anna so this list isn't biased towards me.
-After Tekken 6's story events, it would be fine if Jin took a break.
-Chloe and Gigas are out of the new character slots cause their designs suck and I'd rather have the other four. Josie is just Bruce so I left her out too.

This is essentially what SFV is doing with its 16 character roster. It's focusing on making those characters look their BEST while Tekken is spreading its resources thin across all these other characters. I would prefer a smaller roster if it meant we got really detailed and focused character plot development and amazing design changes. They can even keep the "iconic look" but give it a "next-gen" boost that really differentiates it from the past. Like how SFV is doing.

ujKV2u.jpg
N54b0S.jpg

Numb

That was some weird lag i never seen before.
It wasn't just slow but adapting and changing like it was alive and confused me.

sasuke_91

You should have stayed a few minutes longer, Numb. We only played two more matches before Sayah left.
From all of us Europeans, I seem to get the best connection with our US players. Sayah and I get 4 bars (with some lag spikes and 3 bars in between) which is pretty impressive. Same with Manny and ZTS if I remember correctly. I get 3 bars with AAK and Famicom, 2 bars with boutdown and 1 bar with Death (we never played because of how horrible the lag was the first time we tried).

Good games Sayah. You're the most frustrating player I know on this forum. I'm being launched everytime I try to attack and your combos are so damaging it hurts to even look at my life bar. Every hit seems to get counter hit and moves that look punishable are actually safe on block. Playing you makes me realize how much I have to work on my defense^^
Is Anna's shoulder + on block? I wasn't really sure, so I tried to jab everytime xD

Numb

I either get 3 bars with outside EU or 1.
Wanted to fight Sayah more but that connection we had was insane.
I can't see myself ever beating him tho but still wanted to try.

Why is everyone getting shot at around me? Man the place where I live has gone downhill so fast. Getting the fuck out. Oh and yada yada MasterCup is sick can't wait. SFIV always looked like crap. Can't wait for bacon.

Numb

Stay safe Zero and make sure to be home by atleast 6. SF4 isn't a pretty game but it was always hilarious to me.

Sayah

I'm trying Windows 10 and it's running so slow. My computer has good specs so I don't know why.

I can't scroll pages with my touchpad for whatever reason. And I can't uninstall all the junk they've put on the start menu.

People hated Windows 8 but I loved Windows 8. I hope I can still go back to it.

Why is everyone getting shot at around me? Man the place where I live has gone downhill so fast. Getting the fuck out. Oh and yada yada MasterCup is sick can't wait. SFIV always looked like crap. Can't wait for bacon.

I'm assuming you live in New York somewhere since you went to the Dave & Busters there.

Live in New Jersey. Not even kidding. Just avoid the danger cities (Newark :lol).
I lived in Bloomfield, NJ before and it was a 30 minute train ride to NYC. My apartment was an 8 minute walk from the train station and the rent was $995 (two bed/1 bath/living room/kitchen). Wish I was still living there but had to move. If you're looking for a nightlife scene or whatever, you're not getting it. It's super quiet by late night but it's still safe to walk around.

NYC housing is insanely expensive but I have no option but to move there soon. Thinking of Brooklyn since almost anywhere in Manhattan is $2,000 just for studios. Paying Jersey prices has made me frugal, lol.

You should have stayed a few minutes longer, Numb. We only played two more matches before Sayah left.
From all of us Europeans, I seem to get the best connection with our US players. Sayah and I get 4 bars (with some lag spikes and 3 bars in between) which is pretty impressive. Same with Manny and ZTS if I remember correctly. I get 3 bars with AAK and Famicom, 2 bars with boutdown and 1 bar with Death (we never played because of how horrible the lag was the first time we tried).

Good games Sayah. You're the most frustrating player I know on this forum. I'm being launched everytime I try to attack and your combos are so damaging it hurts to even look at my life bar. Every hit seems to get counter hit and moves that look punishable are actually safe on block. Playing you makes me realize how much I have to work on my defense^^
Is Anna's shoulder + on block? I wasn't really sure, so I tried to jab everytime xD
Do you mean Anna's qcf+1 elbow? Yeah, you can't punish that. lol. You successfully ducked and launched me after it a few times. That's all you can do I think.

About your playstyle, you need to grab more often. I think from all the matches we played, I only recall your grabbing once. lol. Steve's got those 1+2s. I think you need to work on your offense even more than defense. You have better spacing than I do already. :p

I either get 3 bars with outside EU or 1.
Wanted to fight Sayah more but that connection we had was insane.
I can't see myself ever beating him tho but still wanted to try.

Yeah, the lag was way too much.

I live in Syracuse Sayah. Lived here all my life. I took over this sublease for a friend though. I knew the neighborhood was questionable but nothing had ever happened until this month. Now everyone is getting shot, shot at, mugged, and shit. When you wake up to driveway full of blood and bullets you know it's time to go.

lupinko

I really like Tekken 7, but I just mentioned this to a buddy over Skype. The game really is unfinished and really this arcade release is more of a beta test than anything.

It's not as bad as KOF12, but the game is almost near that level of incompleteness.

I'm sure the title revision will fix everything.

Tekken 7's early release really was to help Bamco's arcade business and arcade chains. And to preempt Capcom and/or Sega AM2. But SF5's hype is too high and VF6 is nowhere to be seen as Sega seems more content with Frenchbread making anime fighters then getting AM2 to get their asses in gear.

Sayah

I really like Tekken 7, but I just mentioned this to a buddy over Skype. The game really is unfinished and really this arcade release is more of a beta test than anything.

It's not as bad as KOF12, but the game is almost near that level of incompleteness.

I'm sure the title revision will fix everything.

Tekken 7's early release really was to help Bamco's arcade business and arcade chains. And to preempt Capcom and/or Sega AM2. But SF5's hype is too high and VF6 is nowhere to be seen as Sega seems more content with Frenchbread making anime fighters then getting AM2 to get their asses in gear.

Virtua Fighter 6 really needs to happen.

I live in Syracuse Sayah. Lived here all my life. I took over this sublease for a friend though. I knew the neighborhood was questionable but nothing had ever happened until this month. Now everyone is getting shot, shot at, mugged, and shit. When you wake up to driveway full of blood and bullets you know it's time to go.

uggggghhhh.

Yeah, time to get out of there.

MikeMyers

Fighters Megamix was Sega AM2 fighter on the Sega Saturn that has a roster containing characters from several different Sega series.

Predates Smash Bros. by about two years I think.

lupinko

Sega AM2 too busy distributing DOA5 Arcade Machines than making VF. :/

There is no such thing as a DOA5 arcade machine.

There's only Sega AIME cabs being distributed, that have anime, Xrd and AC+R, shumps and DOA5.

For traditional cabs it's only Bamco left dawg.

Edit: Anime and Guilty Gear is all what Sega cares about, DOA5 can dream but it's just piggybacking off the 2D fighters.

MikeMyers

Ah.

I would like that too. Sounds more interesting than VF actually.
Yeah, Fighters Megamix is a lot of fun, but sadly hasn't been ported again after the Saturn.

There is no such thing as a DOA5 arcade machine.

There's only Sega AIME cabs being distributed, that have anime, Xrd and AC+R, shumps and DOA5.

For traditional cabs it's only Bamco left dawg.

Edit: Anime and Guilty Gear is all what Sega cares about, DOA5 can dream but it's just piggybacking off the 2D fighters.
That's true. Well, to be fair, I guess its better than what DOA3 and 4 got. I don't even remember them getting an Arcade release. Didn't know Guilty Gear was part of that.

It's a shame. I love the Arcades. :/

lupinko

Via the serial code campaign I got these:

Z8i8mjD.png

I finally have a female bottom customization! Lol

Now I just need more red and purple orbs.

Yeah I'm going to whore out and try to get the remaining four idolmaster costumes for Kat, Kazumi, Xiaoyu, and Chloe.

Curse you Bamco! And I don't even like idolmaster. I think the costumes are only available during the promotion period so it'll end mid next month, forever.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I still can't get over how leg and footwear are stuck together. So frustrating. I have this faint hope that they might change it for a major title update or the console version, but deep down, I know that I really shouldn't hold out for that.

Ghh... why did Tekken 6's system have to be so good? If the only precedent was Tekken 5, I wouldn't be complaining like this. Much. Or wouldn't I? I guess Virtua Fighter 5 would have to not exist either.

sasuke_91

I'm trying Windows 10 and it's running so slow. My computer has good specs so I don't know why.

I can't scroll pages with my touchpad for whatever reason. And I can't uninstall all the junk they've put on the start menu.

People hated Windows 8 but I loved Windows 8. I hope I can still go back to it.

I'll install Windows 10 in a few days. I plan on getting a new PC in a few months, so I have to get used to Win 10 anyway :p

Do you mean Anna's qcf+1 elbow? Yeah, you can't punish that. lol. You successfully ducked and launched me after it a few times. That's all you can do I think.

About your playstyle, you need to grab more often. I think from all the matches we played, I only recall your grabbing once. lol. Steve's got those 1+2s. I think you need to work on your offense even more than defense. You have better spacing than I do already. :p

The recovery for that move is so fast though. And if I make a mistake I get launched on CH. Such a BS move D:
It's +2 on block?! Oh my god, I hate Anna...

My spacing comes from my BDC. I backdash way too much^^
I still don't grab often. I always want to grab, but I don't really know when. It sounds easy, but mixing up grabs is so hard for me o_O
I'm too passive and let things happen. I'm a Hwoarang player, so why don't I play like one? :p

Finally got my Jun in TR high enough level to use. Immediately got a 6 win streak and got called a mega spammer and hijo de la putisima (whatever that is).

This is a good day. =3

Pachimari

I'm pretty sure Verendus confirmed, that Virtua Fighter 6 is in development at Sega.

I wonder when Namco will announce Soul Calibur VI though, after that character poll they did..

AZUMIKE

Just played some TAG2 ranked for the first time in a while. Servers still run well. Had a blast! Pumped for T7 online battles in
2018!

But seriously, I wonder what the Tekken Team has cooking for T7 online.

lupinko

I'm pretty sure Verendus confirmed, that Virtua Fighter 6 is in development at Sega.

I wonder when Namco will announce Soul Calibur VI though, after that character poll they did..

I'm a bit of a coin op dinosaur, so while GAF insiders know their consoles or PCs, the arcades are a different base.

Also VF has been historically the flagship of Sega's new hardware. But, Sega's Ringedge and current AIME download service runs contrary to it since it's a different time now. I miss the days when Sega worked with Lockheed Martin to make arcade game hardware.

I'm not going to believe a VF6 is in development until it's official.

Ditto.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
VF3 is amazing for 1996. Too bad the Dreamcast port wasn't to hot.

i'm going to derail this community thread

yes VF3 looks incredible, especially considering it dropped in arcades mere weeks after Tekken 2. i've got a VF3 board up and running and i'm going to do some direct capture stuff as soon as my capture card comes in.

about the dreamcast port
really unfortunate that in 1996 there was no good option to bring VF3 home. when the DC launched in japan years later, the game sold at a nearly 1:1 attach rate, despite not having a real VS mode and being even worse visually than the NA dreamcast release. but the real problem, imo, was the controller - VF3 was just never meant to be played with something like the dreamcast pad, this along with an extremely barebones release helped the game fall completely flat with a general audience outside japan.

MikeMyers

Yeah. We should probably make a VF Community thread or something.

Wonder how the game would have turned out if Sega didnt cancel the Saturn version. The console was still popular in Japan, so it could have done better there.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Yeah. We should probably make a VF Community thread or something.

Wonder how the game would have turned out if Sega didnt cancel the Saturn version. The console was still popular in Japan, so it could have done better there.

There is one, but it's sleeping now. It'll wake up soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom