• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayah

Aesthetically I wasn't impressed. It looked like T5 with better graphics. Even the stage I was on looked like the stage with the DBZ Dragon in T5.

Gameplay-wise outside of what I said in my previous post I also noticed that we had slow move attacks, kinda like the X-Rays in MK but less bloody/gory.

The roster also seemed underwhelming and I didn't even see Tekken staples like Nina or Kuma there. I guess I'll give them a pass on this as they might add them in there later.

Overall though it kinda just felt like the previous games for the most part, but I wont say it is offensively bad. I guess I'll just put it as "it's alright" if I had to give it a verdict.
They're adding more characters.

That Dragon's Nest stage was entirely recreated from the Tekken 5 original.

How many games did you even play? lol.

I'm surprised you're unimpressed aesthetically. No notice of the hit effects? I guess to each his own.

Sayah

After playing 5 minutes of Street Fighter V, this is my observation for visuals:

Character models: SFV >>>>>>>>>>> Tekken 7
Stage design: Tekken 7 >>>>>> SFV
Hit Effects: Tekken 7 >>>> SFV

Both games look really beautiful, though.

MikeMyers

I'm surprised you're unimpressed aesthetically. No notice of the hit effects? I guess to each his own.

I played two matches. One with Paul and one with Asuka.

Good to know about the roster, and thanks for clearing it up about the stage.

As for the aesthetic, I do think the graphics are a bit nice, and you make a good point on the hit effects, but it's kinda disappointing how they have the same designs as the last two games.

I swear Asuka's boobs got bigger though

Sayah

I played two matches. One with Paul and one with Asuka.

Good to know about the roster, and thanks for clearing it up about the stage.

As for the aesthetic, I do think the graphics are a bit nice, and you make a good point on the hit effects, but it's kinda disappointing how they have the same designs as the last two games.

I swear Asuka's boobs got bigger though

Well, at the end of the day, it's also really mixed. Some stages look better than others and some character models also look better than others. Paul and Asuka both do not look that great honestly. Claudio's model is one that I really liked and I wished all the other character had similar quality.

I guess my problem isn't that we got the same costumes for returning costumes. My problem is that some of these costumes and character models look out of place in a game that is otherwise very beautiful. The returning character models do not look that much updated from Tekken 6. Even SFV is using the same costumes for Ryu and Chun Li but you can clearly see the massive upgrades to the models and such great detail. This is the area Tekken 7 is failing at. Thus my ratings in the above post. If Tekken 7 can be more consistent and really do an upgrade to its character models, it'll be the best visually for me. But as far as hit effects or (overall) stage design, it is at the top.

IKizzLE

You know, reading his impressions sounds like what the general game playing audience will say when they play T7 no joke. And your response sounds like what the hardcore tekken fans that are left will say. It seems like a problem Harada has been unsuccessfully trying to solve for awhile now.

lupinko

What colour to make my new secondary (sorry Shaheen) truly outrageous?

A04v44y.png

It's funny how dress up in Tekken is more amusing than say Style Savvy.

Sayah

You know, reading his impressions sounds like what the general game playing audience will say when they play T7 no joke. And your response sounds like what the hardcore tekken fans that are left will say. It seems like a problem Harada has been unsuccessfully trying to solve for awhile now.

Maybe?

I don't know. I think most impressions have been pretty positive for this game.

Whatever the case, I'm happy to get back to 1v1. Was playing Tag 2 ranked earlier today and I'm definitely ready for 1v1.

lupinko

I don't consider myself hardcore in Tekken, but I've spent A LOT of money already on Tekken 7.

If the game wasn't good or fun to me I wouldn't be spending that kind of money. I'm looking at you Xrd.

Sayah

I don't consider myself hardcore in Tekken, but I've spent A LOT of money already on Tekken 7.

If the game wasn't good or fun to me I wouldn't be spending that kind of money. I'm looking at you Xrd.

It's definitely very fun.

Katarina and Claudio definitely looking to be main material for me as well. Might even be making Williams tertiary for them. We'll see.

Edit: Also, about Shaheen. Knee has him in red and it looks pretty good. Maybe try that as a secondary color?

lupinko

It's definitely very fun.

Katarina and Claudio definitely looking to be main material for me as well. Might even be making Williams tertiary for them. We'll see.

Edit: Also, about Shaheen. Knee has him in red and it looks pretty good. Maybe try that as a secondary color?

Yeah I can do that for Shaheen. I'm in a horrible losing skid with Kat right now. Maybe I should take a break from her and focus on Shaheen and Lili.

I have a lot male customs right now actually.

http://i.imgur.com/8ZfMWU8.png
http://i.imgur.com/MONaqJu.png
http://i.imgur.com/6GgT38o.png x2
http://i.imgur.com/qDgzvI8.png

The only female one I have remaining.

http://i.imgur.com/tDVH3F3.png

Leo can use some of the male clothes too.

I gave this jacket to Kat.

http://i.imgur.com/ttzXoS5.png

Of course Lili already has the IM@S outfit and I have the Lars kimono and Feng warrior pants.

Sayah

Yeah I can do that for Shaheen. I'm in a horrible losing skid with Kat right now. Maybe I should take a break from her and focus on Shaheen and Lili.

I have a lot male customs right now actually.

http://i.imgur.com/8ZfMWU8.png
http://i.imgur.com/MONaqJu.png
http://i.imgur.com/6GgT38o.png x2
http://i.imgur.com/qDgzvI8.png

The only female one I have remaining.

http://i.imgur.com/tDVH3F3.png

Leo can use some of the male clothes too.

I gave this jacket to Kat.

http://i.imgur.com/ttzXoS5.png

Of course Lili already has the IM@S outfit and I have the Lars kimono and Feng warrior pants.

It sucks that the items are random and not for the character(s) that you mainly play.

Also, you should try Claudio. :p

I really liked playing with him.

Fraeon

Lili's combos in Tag 2 to T7 change so little that it's kind of boring and I'll probably rather main some of the new characters instead.

Lili's combos in Tag 2 to T7 change so little that it's kind of boring and I'll probably rather main some of the new characters instead.

Oh, Tag 2 to T7 are the same? Really? Hm, that kinda sucks.

I actually dislike playing Lili in TTT2 a lot due to how finicky her combos are. Off axis a bit, too late a bit and stuff drops. It's a pain in lag especially i feel. In TR her combos are waaaay easier since you can get good damage without doing those df3+4 or ff3 pickups. (Yes, my execution sucks <.< )

Sayah

TTT2 starts to get to everyone eventually.

Well, I love the game a lot but there's no denying it can be frustrating. I shouldn't be getting hit when the other person is the one doing the raw tag. This happened like 7 times in the span of 3 matches when I was fully expecting to get a proper punish.

And then this was the cherry on top. :lol

Untitledbfb03.png

Evidence on the whole being able to CH throw attempts thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=26&v=7BPpQ-x5S9o

I can't decide if I like this change or not.

Numb

Well, I love the game a lot but there's no denying it can be frustrating. I shouldn't be getting hit when the other person is the one doing the raw tag. This happened like 7 times in the span of 3 matches when I was fully expecting to get a proper punish.

And then this was the cherry on top. :lol

Untitledbfb03.png

You are not expected to make sense if you get this salty.

Sayah

Don't respond or expect more.

Hogan got outted as a super racist today.

Yeah, I just ignored it. I could easily have had his/her account banned by reporting it to PSN but I'm not that cruel. haha.

And interesting. I never liked Hogan anyway. So many people looked up to him and I always thought he was annoying.

Edit: LOL. First article when google searching his name. Damn Hogan.

Numb

Yeah, I just ignored it. I could easily have had his/her account banned by reporting it to PSN but I'm not that cruel. haha.

And interesting. I never liked Hogan anyway. So many people looked up to him and I always thought he was annoying.

Edit: LOL. First article when google searching his name. Damn Hogan.
I never really cared much for him. What a dick he turned out to be. As long as my boy Goldberg doesn't out himslef as some crazy weirdo i am cool with wrestling.
Hogan plays Nina because she looks like Brooke

Degen pls.

Sayah

I never really cared much for him. What a dick he turned out to be. As long as my boy Goldberg doesn't out himslef as some crazy weirdo i am cool with wrestling.

Thankfully, I don't care about any wrestler enough to be hurt if they turn out racist.

Hogan plays Nina because she looks like Brooke

No he plays King because its more in tune with his wrestling background. Kappa.

I'm so bad at Tekken now. :(

Funny enough, picked up the stick for the first time in a couple months and one of my buttons didn't work! Had to mash on it a bit to get it going again lol. My tools are just as rusty as I am.

Sayah

View at your own discretion
CKvIMNxUYAAMg54.jpg

Disgust-Disgusted-Euw-Eww-No-No-way.gif

I'm so bad at Tekken now. :(

Funny enough, picked up the stick for the first time in a couple months and one of my buttons didn't work! Had to mash on it a bit to get it going again lol. My tools are just as rusty as I am.

I used to see you playing a lot before but not recently for some time now.

Sayah

Edit: I hope the oki changes in T7 have gotten rid of the dumb rock-paper-scissors situation you get in TTT2 after King's running powerbomb. It's annoying as hell and just a guessing game at best. Even tag crash isn't safe.

Oh yeah after playing a buttload of the SFV beta I can say 100% Tekken 7 looks better.

How did you even get to play it? I keep getting disconnects. :/

Anyway, SFV character models are definitely better imo but Tekken's stage design is obviously miles ahead (being a 3D fighter and everything).

Anyway, SFV character models are definitely better imo but Tekken's stage design is obviously miles ahead (being a 3D fighter and everything).

No way dude. The models are defintely not as good as Tekken 7. Don't think they are better than Tag 2 to be honest. They are worse than I thought they would be tbh. The texture is really weak too. The animation upgrade over SF4 is really the only thing that stands out graphically. And it's only in comparison to SF4.

Sayah

No way dude. The models are defintely not as good as Tekken 7. Don't think they are better than Tag 2 to be honest. They are worse than I thought they would be tbh. The texture is really weak too. The animation upgrade over SF4 is really the only thing that stands out graphically. And it's only in comparison to SF4.

Tekken 7 does have a few great designs/models but overall, a lot of them have issues. Just reach Arcade Stage 4 with Katarina and watch the pre-fight sequence with Heihachi. Katarina's hair will clip like crazy. And that's just one example.

From what I can tell, these models could definitely use improvements:

Steve (Hair, Costume)
Katarina (Hair)
Devil Jin (Wings, face)
Lucky Chloe (Lower body, specifically textures on default leg clothing)
Heihachi (face)
Lili (spaghetti noodle hair)
Asuka (hair, face, costume)
Alisa (Hair/flowers on hair)
King (Mask)
Dragunov (Face, Hair)
Jin (Face)
Josie (Arms, specifically the clipping with default costume)

Just to provide a visual example. Take Dragunov, for instance. This is him in Tekken 6. No hair clipping. Face model looks fine.

Untitled887e6.png

Then this is Dragunov in Tekken 7. Much worse than Tekken 6. I don't know how that happens.
Untitled2924c8.png

If you want, I can provide you with a visual example of each problem I listed with the character models. If Tekken 7 can fix those issues, then I can consider it has better character models than SFV.

In the meantime, SFV's only notoriously bad model is Ken currently. Tekken 7, however, is also doing a good job with the rest of the cast that I didn't list above.

Sayah

Forgot to mention. I didn't list Bryan there because his model actually looks good in the recent update but in his intro pose, there is literally no lip or mouth movement while he's laughing. It's literally stuck in a static position, which comes off very awkward.

If you watch the same Bryan taunt in TTT2 or T6, he does move his mouth/lips at least a little so it comes off looking natural.

Yes, I notice these things.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Then this is Dragunov in Tekken 7. Much worse than Tekken 6. I don't know how that happens.
Untitled2924c8.png

I'm guessing it's some weirdness with Unreal Engine 4 that they haven't quite conquered yet. Though in some regards, I thought that even many of the Tekken Tag 2 models looked worse than they did with Tekken 6. Of course sacrifices had to be made for four characters on screen at 60fps, but yeah, T6 still reigns supreme for some characters. That might be due to the lighting more than anything though. Tekken 6 had some nice lighting; in Tag 2 and 7, everything just seems to have a white sheen and that's it.

Sayah

I'm guessing it's some weirdness with Unreal Engine 4 that they haven't quite conquered yet. Though in some regards, I thought that even many of the Tekken Tag 2 models looked worse than they did with Tekken 6. Of course sacrifices had to be made for four characters on screen at 60fps, but yeah, T6 still reigns supreme for some characters.

I'm gonna provide a few more samples in a moment. Give me a few mins.

Sayah

Some of the Tekken 7 Character Modelling Issues

DRAGUNOV

Tekken 6 Appearance
Untitled887e6.png

No hair clipping. Facial characteristics A-ok.

Tekken 7 Appearance
Untitled2924c8.png

Distorted facial features. Hair seem glued together.
Dragunov.gif

Hair clipping going on. Glove/hand looking awkward.

HEIHACHI
Tekken 6
Heihachi.png

Looking fine.

Tekken 7
Heihachi2.png

Awkward face modelling. PS1 hair.

LILI
Lili.gif

Spaghetti noodle hair + hair clipping

ALISA
Tekken 6
sO0TR37.jpg

Tekken 7
Alisa.png

Notice the flowers on her head and neck - no changes from Tekken 6 to Tekken 7. Hair also has all of this lining going on.

BRYAN
Bryan.gif

Static Mouth. No lip/mouth movements.

Bryan2.png

Recently updated character model actually looks really great. But please update laughter.

KATARINA
katarina.png

Her hair are a complete mess. To notice all the hair clipping going on with her more clearly, run arcade mode with her and watch the pre-fight sequence with Heihachi on Stage 4.

Creaking

Jesus, Katarina's hair looks like it's been laminated.

And though most of Bryan's model looks nice, his hair looks too blocky and not hair-like enough. It looks like it belongs on a Street Fighter V character.

And wow, someone took a dump on Heihachi's face texture.

I think Tekken 7's biggest issue graphically is it's sheer over-reliance on old assets. They're porting models and textures that were built for one engine straight into another without touching them up much at all, and it just looks half baked. Although, then there are the issues with characters like Katarina, who is brand new.

I don't mean to fawn, but I always thought that IQ was the one issue with Tekken 6's graphics. That, and maybe some low-quality textures in the environment. But the character models, textures, and lighting fit like a glove. They looked top notch at the time, and they still look very good today. I believe a lot of that is due to the assets not being straight up ported from Tekken 5. The stuff from Tekken 5 was too low poly and whatnot to be done with a flat port, so they redid them or improved them.

With Tekken 7, it seems as though they looked at the Tekken 6/Tag 2 assets as being "good enough" to slap into an new engine with slightly higher visual fidelity. But now they're starting to stick out like the PS2 cars in Gran Turismo.

Sayah

Jesus, Katarina's hair looks like it's been laminated.

And though most of Bryan's model looks nice, his hair looks too blocky and not hair-like enough. It looks like it belongs on a Street Fighter V character.

And wow, someone took a dump on Heihachi's face texture.

I think Tekken 7's biggest issue graphically is it's sheer over-reliance on old assets. They're porting models and textures that were built for one engine straight into another without touching them up much at all, and it just looks half baked. Although, then there are the issues with characters like Katarina, who is brand new.

I don't mean to fawn, but I always thought that IQ was the one issue with Tekken 6's graphics. That, and maybe some low-quality textures in the environment. But the character models, textures, and lighting fit like a glove. They looked top notch at the time, and they still look very good today. I believe a lot of that is due to the assets not being straight up ported from Tekken 5. The stuff from Tekken 5 was too low poly and whatnot to be done with a flat port, so they redid them or improved them.

With Tekken 7, it seems as though they looked at the Tekken 6/Tag 2 assets as being "good enough" to slap into an new engine with slightly higher visual fidelity. But now they're starting to stick out like the PS2 cars in Gran Turismo.

Yeah, there's a lot of recycling going on unfortunately. Agreed with you on the Tekken 6 part as well.

But it's also clear that they have been incrementally updating and doing a pretty good job with addressing some of the issues. Asuka and Bryan particularly looked terrible before but now look good.

Anyway, here is a Tekken 7 Lili gif for her rageart. Just made it.

Lili-4.gif

Will try to make more gifs soon.

Yeah, they're definitely improving some stuff with the character models.

Like Lili's face looks pretty bad in TTT2, slightly better in TR and seems to be much better in T7.

And it's pretty obvious it's still being worked on. I guess that's one good thing coming out of the endless console delay. Can make it look better.

Creaking

I will say that I've never followed a Tekken title so closely from arcade to the inevitable console release before, save for Tekken Tag 2 but that thing came along surprisingly fast. Tekken 6 I only took interest in around 2008, and I hadn't followed the development of the previous titles at all, so I guess this is the first time I'm actually seeing the rougher side of the game.

Unless Tekken 7 is an exception in how rough it is, even at this relatively early stage of release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom