• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasuke_91

Its just a colour swap. She now has the blue colour people want the purple. Because Kasumis voice actor has the same as Takane from im@s. Which is the girl from my ava.

Kazumi and Takane have the same voice actress~ Even if you didn't notice, the im@s was already in your Tekkens~

=3

She shouldn't have gotten any of those costumes in the first place...
Even if they have the same seiyuu, their appearance and character are a whole lot different... I guess (I still don't really know who Takane is, but I guess she's a moe-Character?).

m0t0k1

She shouldn't have gotten any of those costumes in the first place...
Even if they have the same seiyuu, their appearance and character are a whole lot different... I guess (I still don't really know who Takane is, but I guess she's a moe-Character?).

And why is that? Its just a bonus you don't have to wear their clothes. If it where there canon clothes i too would have had a problem with that. But it isnt. There has been plenty of custom outfits in the tekken series from maid outfits too biker wear. Why is an performer outfit too much? Think its a nice addition. The more costumes the better. Also liked the tennis outfit they had at Tekken crash tourney.

What is a moe character? Can't say a lot about appearance but character both are mysterious lady like persons so they have some things in common or else they would not have cast the same voice actress.

Eh, it's just a nod to a different Namco series. Like how Monster Hunter got Street Fighter costumes or somesuch. There's a lot of people who like that kinda stuff. I do.

If nothing else it might be an improvement in the outfit department for Lucky Chloe. =D

sasuke_91

And why is that? Its just a bonus you don't have to wear their clothes. If it where there canon clothes i too would have had a problem with that. But it isnt. There has been plenty of custom outfits in the tekken series from maid outfits too biker wear. Why is an performer outfit too much? Think its a nice addition. The more costumes the better. Also liked the tennis outfit they had at Tekken crash tourney.

What is a moe character? Can't say a lot about appearance but character both are mysterious lady like persons so they have some things in common or else they would not have cast the same voice actress.

I only really have a problem with that outfit because Kazumi seemed like the classy middle-aged lady to me, but now she gets the same tratment as the young girls. It might just be me, but I find this kind of disappointing.

So Takane isn't one of those cute and... kind of dense girls?

m0t0k1

I only really have a problem with that outfit because Kazumi seemed like the classy middle-aged lady to me, but now she gets the same tratment as the young girls. It might just be me, but I find this kind of disappointing.

So Takane isn't one of those cute and... kind of dense girls?

No Takane is the mysterious classy well mannered lady like princess archetype. And sometimes behaves motherly towards the younger girls. But yeah she is an idol so she has to appeal to the crowd by acting cute but most girls in japanese video games have that these days. But i can see why some people playing tekken longer do not like the change. But for me it is the reason i came back to the series. For me tekken was all about fun and crazy antics but i feel like they lost that at 4 a bit. Maybe i did not care about the dark stuff because everything looked so goofy on the ps1. Kazuya smiling still gives me the laughs.
i1NRIdpvZ0GPn.gif

But all the tekken characters have been treated crazy in TTT2 Heihachi in a loin cloth. a dino with a wig and boxing cloves. Its bound to get crazy. That is what i love most about tekken. But its each to their own. If you play people on gaf
except for maybe me
and friends you will likely never encounter the costumes. So you don't have to associate it with her. I always treat the first costume of every character as their personality and what they are and all the customising costumes as adding fun to the game.

Sayah

Thanks for the impressions. I always suck terribly when i try to use stick on Tekken but your calmness from years of play is still there and it helps as you said.At this point i just need to get the game on my hands.

No problem. I am still gonna keep practicing stick. I decided I may as well learn it.

Also, that's a nice ring. :)

I really really want to play this game. Everyone (except JDCR :p) sounds really impressed and positive about T7.

JDCR hates it because he can no longer be #1. :p

I can say that if you're looking for drastic evolution in the gameplay system, then obviously you're not going to find it here. But after playing the game, I've come to the conclusion that it's sometimes good to take a step back and just focus the game on being fun. It's not adding revolutionary mechanics like TTT2 but it is doing a lot more to keep the game exciting and fun to play. It has the best hit effects and sound effects of any fighting game I've played to date and the hype slow motion in clutch moments along with the already beautiful visuals just all comes together very nicely and makes the game very satisfying to play. If you like Tekken, you'll like this. Especially if there are certain moves you love landing (like how I love landing Nina bitch slaps), this game really amplifies that feeling.

TTT2 did too much at once and made it difficult for newcomers. Tekken 7 is going in the opposite direction of pleasing the newcomer but at the same time is very satisfying to play that old fans will be happy with it too. Especially if you're tired of the randomness in Tag 2, going to back to 1v1 in this was very relieving. No longer have to worry about raw tag hopkicks or maintaining health for two characters. Tekken 7 is less stressful than Tag 2.

The overwhelming positive reception people have had when playing the game is very much in line with what I have to say as well about the game. There's only a few small minority (that includes JDCR) that don't like the game and I guess no game can please everyone.

It has the best hit effects and sound effects of any fighting game I've played to date and the hype slow motion in clutch moments along with the already beautiful visuals just all comes together very nicely and makes the game very satisfying to play.
This is the area that Tekken has always been the leader in and doesn't look to surrender anytime soon.

lupinko

Oh right, you can't change the colours to the idolmaster outfit, and there's 50 icons of each idolmaster girl @ 765G a piece, so all 50 would cost 382500G. I actually have more than enough to buy them all.

EDIT: You guys will probably think I'm a monster for doing this but...

qjZsphKl.jpg
+
3po7CL0.jpg

I don't have black/white unlocked yet for colours. I do have the first three for both dark and light browns in addition to purple/violet. And for RGB I've unlocked all the shades already.

I'm going to try again for Kat but if it's another character I don't play as, then ugggggggggh. The good news is I sorta play Asuka and I do have somewhat of some interest in wanting to play Kazumi. Too bad no Leo costume though.

Sayah

From the Reddit AMA with Dave&Busters VP.

Are you open to the fighting game community? There's a pretty big community in Chicago (Where i'm located) but a much bigger community in california and new york. Evo is on for this weekend so it's getting big. So my point is, will we ever see real arcades like the ones you see in Japan? There used to be an arcade back in the day called Aladdin's Castle that had fighting game cabinets like soul calibur, tekken, etc and those were good times. Your thoughts?

EDIT* I know arcade cabinets aren't as big as they used to be since we have home consoles now that we can play but I think people would come out to compete and play against people with no lag (cough cough online play cough cough).

[–]KevinBachusDave & Buster's Senior VP 6 points 4 days ago

I want to be open to the fighting game community but they don't make it easy. We're testing Tekken 7 right now at this very moment in San Jose, Dallas and Times Square because I asked NAMCO for the opportunity to check in and see if tastes have changed and the public has an interest in fighting games again (outside of the core). Historically these don't do super well in our stores beyond the initial launch and even NAMCO thinks that's what will happen with Tekken 7. If we were to buy them and roll them out to all our stores (and obviously we'd need more than a few per locations), they'd do well at first. Then the console version comes out. Then the casual players get kind of tired of the game and move on. Then we're holding onto expensive games that no one wants to play apart from a few really dedicated players and it's really hard for us to service small passionate communities. We've only had Tekken 7 for a week but the numbers I'm seeing confuse me. The staff at the three stores are e-mailing me and texting me IN ALL CAPS about how great the games are doing and how everyone loves them and how there are giant lines to play them. Then I look at our data and they're like in the middle of the pack.

So I'm trying. I really am. But it's going to take a little more time to see where we are. Maybe Pokken will have broader appeal than Tekken. But unless Mewtwo is playable, who knows?

I wish there were better ways of advertising this.. I'd be at Time Square playing T7, right now if I had known.

[–]KevinBachusDave & Buster's Senior VP 2 points 4 days ago

The problem is that (a) this was supposed to be a test and we generally don't advertise tests; and (b) we had limited support from NAMCO for the publicity that we did want to do. All I can tell you is that it's there now and will be for a least a few more weeks.

Yes. We will be testing Pokken. Candidly both NAMCO and I are more optimistic about that title and our typical guests than Tekken.

Regarding the Tekken 7 location test, do you know how long is it going for?

Namco kinda rolled it out without announcing anything and I only got a chance to play 2 rounds on it yesterday and apparently it's been there since last Friday.
[–]KevinBachusDave & Buster's Senior VP 3 points 4 days ago*

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the way NAMCO handled this one and they know it. First, it's a test. It's not a product launch. Tests are supposed to be tests but this one's been publicized. But not publicized in any kind of organized way. Rather, Harada-san went on Twitter and told everyone to go to D&B so now no one knows which D&B to go to or when to go or anything. We could have handled this so much better if given the opportunity. And don't get me started on the challenges we had working without any English documentation.

I want to move them to other, smaller stores to see how they perform in more typical locations. It's currently in three of our highest volume stores in the country so the results aren't super useful to me. But it will be at least a few more weeks before I do anything.

So Pokken is getting location testing but Tekken 7 is not doing well it seems. Yes :) and
Damn :( at the same time.

Namco marketing for Tekken 7 is the absolute worst I have ever seen it for a Tekken game.

Gambit61

I wish they put a T7 machine in the Palisades Mall D&B. Driving into the city is a huge pain and the opportunities for my friend and I to go are maybe once a week if we're lucky :(

sasuke_91

I wish they put a T7 machine in the Palisades Mall D&B. Driving into the city is a huge pain and the opportunities for my friend and I to go are maybe once a week if we're lucky :(
I wish they put a T7 machine somewhere in Europe^^

Good games SquirrelSoup and Doomshine.
My sidestepping has kinda gotten out of hand. I should stop stepping at the wrong moments.
SquirrelSoup, those f2's killed me more often than they should. Didn't even launch you once. You use that move really well as a raw tag punisher.
The person who played with us today is a German Ling player. He knows her really well and taught me quite a few things about how to deal with her and utilize her tools better. I really like his SS+3 setups.

Namco pls. Now I know how fans requesting localization feel. Speaking of localization, when's Yakuza 5?

Edit: Oh and what's the arcade scene like in Europe?

I haven't seen an arcade in my country once in my life.

Supposedly there's some shitty ones in Scheveningen next to the beach. If they're still open. Isn't really within travel distance for me though. I think there was one in Tilburg that was open for a few years maybe and recently went bankrupt.

"What arcade scene?" probably covers it best from my personal experiences. When i've went out to play with people in person it's always been in their homes or occasionally in gamestores.

Doomshine

GGs Sasuke and Squirrel.

Last time I saw something even resembling an arcade was in an amusement park as a kid. I remember playing some Primal Rage there, but I'd be surprised if they still have it (the arcade).

sasuke_91

Never been to an arcade in Germany. As Doomshine said, the only thing resembling an arcade would be in asument parks. I've been to one in Belgium once as a kid and played some racing game with my cousin there.
We have some weird laws considering gambling and arcades are considered as such. It never worked here and now you can't really find a single one anywhere.

Gambit61

Wow, arcades really are dead in the West. I wonder if a Steam early access / Tekken Revolution type beta for PC/PS4 would work better in the US/Europe.

Wow, arcades really are dead in the West. I wonder if a Steam early access / Tekken Revolution type beta for PC/PS4 would work better in the US/Europe.

I recall Aris asking Harada and Murray about Steam Early Access at Final Round, and I can only somewhat remember them vaguely dismissing the idea for Tekken.

Methinks the arcade division of Namco will under no circumstances allow for any other possible version of T7 cut into their arcade profit system until they milk it dry. Would be hard to convince people to buy into the (IMO anti-consumer) monetary system they have going now if there was a way to play the game unlimited elsewhere.

Gambit61

I recall Aris asking Harada and Murray about Steam Early Access at Final Round, and I can only somewhat remember them vaguely dismissing the idea for Tekken.

Methinks the arcade division of Namco will under no circumstances allow for any other possible version of T7 cut into their arcade profit system until they milk it dry. Would be hard to convince people to buy into the (IMO anti-consumer) monetary system they have going now if there was a way to play the game unlimited elsewhere.

:-( at least we'll have MGS5, P5, Y5, and SFV to play during the long wait for T7 on consoles.

Fraeon

GGs Sasuke and Squirrel.

Last time I saw something even resembling an arcade was in an amusement park as a kid. I remember playing some Primal Rage there, but I'd be surprised if they still have it (the arcade).

There used to be a chain of arcades called Pelikaani waaaay back when. Like in the mid nineties before they closed shop. These days, arcade over here means some dank room barely big enough for 3 people with maybe a Sega Rally cabinet and a pinball machine.

The machines that used to be from those chains still float around the country switching owners frequently. An arcade machine is really nice until you have to move from an apartment to another.

Doomshine

The machines that used to be from those chains still float around the country switching owners frequently. An arcade machine is really nice until you have to move from an apartment to another.

Even out of the country! Tried looking up some info on Pelikaani and found some American dude selling this: https://picasaweb.google.com/100481...aniNavada?feat=directlink#5916084212585921010

...but yeah, as cool as arcade machines are I don't think I would want to own one. They seem like a pain in the ass to maintain and move.

m0t0k1

I haven't seen an arcade in my country once in my life.

Supposedly there's some shitty ones in Scheveningen next to the beach. If they're still open. Isn't really within travel distance for me though. I think there was one in Tilburg that was open for a few years maybe and recently went bankrupt.

"What arcade scene?" probably covers it best from my personal experiences. When i've went out to play with people in person it's always been in their homes or occasionally in gamestores.

Yeah don't go to Scheveningen just for the Arcade it really is disapointing. Just a couple of racing machines. It had one of my favourite arcade games cyber cycles but the rest is air hockey, pinball and those arm grab machines and it is really small. Dunno if you ever went to center parcs but those had some cool machines back in the day. It had Tekken 2 machines, Street fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat 2. Sunset riders, hydro thunder and stuff really cool. and price was decent too for like 50cent (gulden) you could play a game. Now most of it had been replaced by gambling machines and new touch screen based games last time they had a huge fruit ninja machine which was pretty popular. They still had Super Monkey ball at least but that machine was on its last legs too but now its 1 euro a game sadly. And in the end also not worth it anymore because most machines are gone but still beter then scheveningen.

HeelPower

Namco marketing for Tekken 7 is the absolute worst I have ever seen it for a Tekken game.

The thing what's puzzling is that they're doing the hard part ,but are messing up elsewhere.

I mean,they are making the game available at arcades in the US ,and that's the hard part.

Maybe they'll just focus all their efforts on the console version ,but up until now there hasn't been a single showing any of the major gaming conventions.

Maybe the game is a good 1.5~2 years away.

MikeMyers

Aesthetically I wasn't impressed. It looked like T5 with better graphics. Even the stage I was on looked like the stage with the DBZ Dragon in T5.

Gameplay-wise outside of what I said in my previous post I also noticed that we had slow move attacks, kinda like the X-Rays in MK but less bloody/gory.

The roster also seemed underwhelming and I didn't even see Tekken staples like Nina or Kuma there. I guess I'll give them a pass on this as they might add them in there later.

Overall though it kinda just felt like the previous games for the most part, but I wont say it is offensively bad. I guess I'll just put it as "it's alright" if I had to give it a verdict.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Aesthetically I wasn't impressed. It looked like T5 with better graphics. Even the stage I was on looked like the stage with the DBZ Dragon in T5.

That's because they recreated that very stage. Now with rainfall in the later rounds though. And generally a lot prettier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom