• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAK

http://www.shacknews.com/article/90...nd-producer-katsuhiro-harada-discuss-tekken-7

Aris then asked about the visual looks for the Tekken 7 characters, wondering if their looks would receive something of an overhaul, similar to what Law currently has. Harada then recalled some of the negative feedback that the team received after giving characters visual changes in Tekken 4, so the team is currently trying to find the middle ground between keeping character looks fresh without changing them drastically.

OMG this comment makes my blood boil fuming any positive emotion I had this Eid.... You **** ****** ****** Tekken 4 was not criticized over its art direction!!!!

You did the same thing with Tekken 2, Tekken 3, AND Tekken 5 TOO!!!!! When did we complain then????

Sayah

People complained about Tekken 4 costumes? LOL. wtf.

Here's the article Wonkey posted about the panel. Apparently, we should be seeing Season 2 of characters after EVO?

http://www.shacknews.com/article/90...nd-producer-katsuhiro-harada-discuss-tekken-7

Edit: Beaten.
Also, good he's staying true to his philosophy.
With that said, Harada emphasized that Tekken remains a game that will not charge extra for new characters or costumes, as it always has.

Though, I wouldn't mind if they charged for costumes. DoA made a ton of money from that and Tekken could probably use the dough with declining console sales/declining popularity.

So far, the impression seems to be that Tekken 7 is very fun. I have to finally play the game already.

OMG this comment makes my blood boil fuming any positive emotion I had this Eid.... You **** ****** ****** Tekken 4 was not criticized over its art direction!!!!

You did the same thing with Tekken 2, Tekken 3, AND Tekken 5 TOO!!!!! When did we complain then????

Could've been complaints from Japan. The people they actually hear/listen to.

And I gotta go make the hoods of America an emerging market for Tekken so they bring back the black characters. Or over in Ninjutsu-land to at least get Raven back? HOW DO I GET THERE??

AAK

This series is going in almost every direction I'm begging Namco to avoid.... Screw it. This ruined my mood completely... Don't even want to look or think anything Tekken related right now.

Sayah

Calm down. :p

With the way they've been designing some of the new characters (Gigas, Chloe, Josie, Devil Kazumi), maybe you should be happy returning characters didn't get a complete redesign. Next thing you know, Hwoarang is in a tutu replacing his ski glasses with kitty headphones. :lol

I kid, I kid.
Whatever the case, the impressions alone are really exciting me for Tekken 7. I have been trying to get to Dave & Busters this past week unsuccessfully and once I finally do, I am going to make additional assessments from there and adjust hype levels accordingly.

Sayah

After seeing the different variations of concept art for Tekken 7's new characters, it's really a shame they went with the design they did for Lucky Chloe.

If this had been what they went with, I think most people would have been cool with it.

sdcc2015img3.jpg

They also should have used the third model here for Devil Kazumi. While the first one also actually looks cool in the concept art, its translation into a 3D model was not very good. The flame wings and flame cuts on her dress really look awful.

sdcc2015img5.jpg

But ignoring these design choices, I'm just optimistic in general about this game since the "fun factor" is what matters most to me and it seems to be fulfilling on that end based on people's impressions.

Some of the answers they're giving aren't the answers I want to hear.

Hearing that they had another slide during their panel to tell people to pre-order SFV...... Hahahaha.

If this had been what they went with, I think most people would have been cool with it.

I personally think that design is much more better. Just drop the dumb 'lucky' bit off her name and go with that design as her default. Her current outfit right now can go be a customization.

Sayah

I know Ono interrupted their Comic-Con panel but there was another slide during the EVO panel for pre-ordering SFV?

I hope SFV does really well but at this point, I'm thinking it's going to devour Tekken 7 (at least from the competitive, tournament-going community side of things).

I'm not really seeing Tekken 7 catching on with the FGC or becoming super popular in the scene. It just had its EVO debut and still barely managed to reach 3,000 to 4,000 views on average in stream views.

Manbig

Could've been complaints from Japan. The people they actually hear/listen to.

And I gotta go make the hoods of America an emerging market for Tekken so they bring back the black characters. Or over in Ninjutsu-land to at least get Raven back? HOW DO I GET THERE??

Are you one of the people that went to the NYC Dave and Busters to play Tekken 7? If so, when do you plan on going again?

When I read that my immediate reaction was "Bullshit". I don't remember complaints about T4's costumes. No one looked drastically different. I think they took the cold reception to heart generally and don't know why the game was panned and just decided to go back to TTT1 because it was safe.

Degen

I never thought he'd make an even worse excuse than the "iconic like Street Fighter" one

They skipped that part of the development process to save time and resources, plain and simple

We're gonna have to accept the fact Harada is going to say anything to avoid certain things. He is so full of shit I wonder how he survives all that fecal matter.

Anyways still excited to play this when I head to NYC I want to try the new characters first.
Who's the most accessible?

AAK

After sleeping on it, I think these last comments are the straws that broke the camel's back. I think I'm probably done once TTT2 support dies.

sasuke_91

Watching EVO pools is funny. I always think I'm not good enough to compete in tournaments because I already get beaten by spamming green ranks in Ranking, but there's so many bad players and 10-hit mashers in EVO pools that I feel much better already^^

After sleeping on it, I think these last comments are the straws that broke the camel's back. I think I'm probably done once TTT2 support dies.

Does he even realize that what he says enrages so many people? Sometimes I feel like he makes bad excuses on purpose... it's very sad to be honest.

Numb

Watching EVO pools is funny. I always think I'm not good enough to compete in tournaments because I already get beaten by spamming green ranks in Ranking, but there's so many bad players and 10-hit mashers in EVO pools that I feel much better already^^

10-hits need to be nerfed lol.
I can't believe i am seeing them at EVO but there are alot of new people playing in the tournament this year.

DEATH™

Does he even realize that what he says enrages so many people? Sometimes I feel like he makes bad excuses on purpose... it's very sad to be honest.

It depeds on what game you play. Tag 2 Tourneys are Game of Thrones brutality of skill level. TRev is much lower. I think the skill level in T7 will be the same as TRev if much lower.

Then again on much higher ranks, it will reach brutality levels again and people will be forced to level up, and then they will complain about either the game is still too hard or we play spammy or something...

Sayah

Another passionate fan jumping ship. I'm sometimes on the edge myself.

TTT2 is gonna be dead soon unfortunately, though.

Definitely. I know i'm not great but i could beat some of these folks for sure.

As to the game, i don't get the hate. Watching it in proper quality and stuff made me realize it looks fecking fantastic compared to pretty much every other game in EVO. I just want console version with the quickness at this point.

Sayah

Definitely. I know i'm not great but i could beat some of these folks for sure.

As to the game, i don't get the hate. Watching it in proper quality and stuff made me realize it looks fecking fantastic compared to pretty much every other game in EVO. I just want console version with the quickness at this point.

I watched the whole panel. Three different questions from the audience and everyone was still referring to the direction of the artstyle/character designs in someway. I'm very glad Aris made a point that people are hungry for something "new" similar to what Tekken 4 accomplished. Everyone's tired of seeing the same costumes for 10 years.

I agree with you the game is the best looking fighter out there right now but it could have done a lot more with its designs for both returning and new characters. I am disappointed with Josie, Chloe, Gigas, and Devil Kazumi designs particularly.

The stages are the only the thing where I can say that they've done (for the most part) an overwhelmingly good job. A lot of the character designs, the customizations, and the new mechanics like rage arts could use a lot more innovation and creativity, though. Nobody wants to see stringed up command list moves as a rage art. Look at Kazumi, for example. She has a tiger and they decide not to use it in her rage art giving her instead a bland combination of simple attacks. The hair on some characters also somehow looks worse than before.

I can understand the hate in the sense that the game isn't accomplishing a lot in certain areas. I hope Tekken 7 does well on consoles but at this point I won't be surprised with sales even lower than TTT2 unless the final version has some drastic changes. TTT2 had its own reasons for not doing well but with the way fans are abandoning this franchise, I'm thinking Tekken 7 might not do as well as I thought it would before, especially if they release it after 2016. Most people will not be interested by then and will have moved on to other stuff.

I'm thinking Tekken 7 might not do as well as I thought it would before, especially if they release it after 2016. Most people will not be interested by then and will have moved on to other stuff.

Yeah, that's definitely a thing. The wait is harsh. I've just been playing a bunch of anime games in the interim. Can't stay away from Tekken though. I always end up playing some TR or TTT2 at some point.

Sayah

Yeah, that's definitely a thing. The wait is harsh. I've just been playing a bunch of anime games in the interim. Can't stay away from Tekken though. I always end up playing some TR or TTT2 at some point.

I'm replaying Dark Souls 1 right now and trying to get into DOTA 2 in the meantime.

The truth is that no other fighting game (or franchise in general) interests me as much as Tekken.

The series is in its worst state right now as far as popularity goes so I hope it can recover from that. I understand it'll never garner stream views at the level of some other fighting games because its systems and intricacies need to be understood for a person to "enjoy watching" the match but at the very least I hope it picks back up to its former glory levels as far as general populace interest goes.

LowParry

The series is in its worst state right now as far as popularity goes so I hope it can recover from that. I understand it'll never garner stream views at the level of some other fighting games because its systems and intricacies need to be understood for a person to "enjoy watching" the match but at the very least I hope it picks back up to its former glory levels as far as general populace interest goes.

I doubt that's going to happen. Not with Tekken 7. The Tekken after that? Possibly. 3D fighters just aren't as popular anymore. Tekken is this sort of hit and miss to watch. I find watching pools boring as hell but when we get to see Top 8? Damn hyped. It's that level of play I'm used to seeing after all the Tekken Crash episodes or the arcade streams back in the Tekken 6 days. I lived and breathed that stuff.

What state is Tekken 7 these days? Do we have a full roster now or still timed characters? It just feels like the game isn't even complete yet.

Edit: Speaking of high level play, that EVO Top 8 play going on. So good.

DEATH™

I doubt that's going to happen. Not with Tekken 7. The Tekken after that? Possibly. 3D fighters just aren't as popular anymore. Tekken is this sort of hit and miss to watch. I find watching pools boring as hell but when we get to see Top 8? Damn hyped. It's that level of play I'm used to seeing after all the Tekken Crash episodes or the arcade streams back in the Tekken 6 days. I lived and breathed that stuff.

What state is Tekken 7 these days? Do we have a full roster now or still timed characters? It just feels like the game isn't even complete yet.

I heard Namco stopped updating the game so there's not much change before EVO.

AK and Duk for T7 please.

Idk if this has been said here or not but...

Namco nerfed the Koreans.

I feel like if this were TTT2, Saint vs JDCR finals. The main playstyle of the Korean players have been nerfed and maybe that's part of the reason they aren't into the game as much(besides the logistics bullcrap). Saint and JDCR are still good enough to make Top in EVO or win in general, I just think the game is less geared towards them.

Seem like the game has been normalized for Top level play as well. I could be wrong but that's what I've been seeing this weekend.

CSX

Idk if this has been said here or not but...

Namco nerfed the Koreans.

I feel like if this were TTT2, Saint vs JDCR finals. The main playstyle of the Korean players have been nerfed and maybe that's part of the reason they aren't into the game as much(besides the logistics bullcrap). Saint and JDCR are still good enough to make Top in EVO or win in general, I just think the game is less geared towards them.

Seem like the game has been normalized for Top level play as well. I could be wrong but that's what I've been seeing this weekend.

The koreans themselves have been saying that to be honest lol

Sayah

So disheartening to see AO get up 2 matches each time only to lose to Nobi comebacks. In the end, I would have been happy regardless of which one of the two won. Both played really well.

There's timed releases. We're getting more characters and stages.

Apparently I missed some crazy Dragunov juggle by Nobi. Any gifs yet?

None that I've seen yet but it was a really great combo. Started doing a ten hit combo then did a b+4,3 to get a balcony break. Took it all the way to the wall and then did a rageart. Definitely the highlight of Tekken 7 top 8.

AZUMIKE

Just watched the EVO panel. Very informative and pretty candid as well. Gives players reasons to relax and be patient for the eventual console release. Those wondering about Tekken 7's future should consider watching this...

Just watched the EVO panel. Very informative and pretty candid as well. Gives players reasons to relax and be patient for the eventual console release. Those wondering about Tekken 7's future should consider watching this...

We got the summary already, doesn't really help their point to me.

Numb

I doubt Tekken players out of any other people need to be told to be patient for any reason.
Second nature or default state by now.

Sayah

I'm generally staying positive about Tekken 7 at the moment. Once you've grasped Tekken system and mechanics, there's not much else out there offering the same level of reward and satisfaction (for me at least). The EVO top 8 has also done a good job of convincing me to stay positive for this game.

Sayah

Helps their point plenty IMO. There was lots of explanation regarding their overall decision-making.

Yeah. I watched through it earlier today and it seems they were being honest about receiving negative comments with the Tekken 4 character design changes they made. I wasn't following Tekken news back in those days so I'm not going to assume they're lying about this just because. It helps add credibility and firmness to their stance when they reiterate this point a second time during another question.

Who knows. Maybe arcade players back in those days weren't happy with the design changes either. Not everything back then was micro-scrutinized by Wonkey like it is today. :p

But by the end of the presentation, I'm pretty sure Harada/Murray got the idea that people want more "newness" akin to Tekken 4. It helps that Aris firmly made this point at the end that people are hungry for something new and tired of the old.

Sayah

Doesn't mean that the decision making is excusable though which why while I'll enjoy the game myself, everything has me worried.

That's the thing. If you watch it, they try to assuage the common concerns people have with this game, particularly noting that the game will have both minor and major changes over time and could be very different by the time we have a final version in our hands.

All I know is that they better release this by 2016, preferably before EVO. Release it in June or something. The game is going to become old and irrelevant otherwise in 2017 and will be price dropped to $20 within a week similar to Tekken 6.

AZUMIKE

Doesn't mean that the decision making is excusable though which why while I'll enjoy the game myself, everything else has me worried.

What makes decision making "excusable" though?

During the panel I think the Tekken Team reminded fans that making T7 is multi-faceted process. I think fans (including me) ought to understand the complexity of making a title like Tekken 7 under Bandai Namco.

That's the thing. If you watch it, they try to assuage the common concerns people have with this game, particularly noting that the game will have both minor and major changes over time and could be very different by the time we have a final version in our hands.

All I know is that they better release this by 2016, preferably before EVO. Release it in June or something. The game is going to become old and irrelevant otherwise in 2017 and will be price dropped to $20 within a week similar to Tekken 6.

Aris was pretty raw in his questioning, and I didn't think the Tekken Team avoided questions and made them less intense. Again, I thought responses were pretty candid, but yeah what do I know?

What makes decision making "excusable" though?

During the panel I think the Tekken Team reminded fans that making T7 is multi-faceted process. I think fans (including me) ought to understand the complexity of making a title like Tekken 7 under Bandai Namco.

As in I don't agree with the non-direct gameplay decisions that they've made. I understand the complexity and the usual politics that goes on especially on the business side of things. I just hate that Tekken has to go through all that and suffer in the process.

AZUMIKE

As in I don't agree with the non-direct gameplay decisions that they've made. I understand the complexity and the usual politics that goes on especially on the business side of things. I just hate that Tekken has to go through all that and suffer in the process.

I feel you man. Tis life though. What I appreciate about the Tekken Team is that despite the business politics, they're still looking to make a quality console title. Tekken7 is an"arcade first" title, but from what I'm seeing, Harada and the team are hinting the console release to be the definitive edition down the line. Yes, it will take time. In the meantime, support of the game is probably appreciated. EDIT: I say "probably", because I don't want to speak on behalf of the Tekken Team, but I'm 99% sure they'd like support for their current endeavors lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom