• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://markman23.com/2015/07/14/fight-for-the-future/

ThankYou for everything you've done for the Tekken scene all this time MarkMan. The scene would only be a fraction of the size it is without your intervention. Unless you were involved, Tekken would never have gotten any exposure in these major 2D events and it was instrumental in keeping the series relevant in the FGC.

Enjoy your time with your Daughter :)

Good going MM! I just became a step dad too, so I understand :)

I still remember our IRC CAG_Fight chats late into the night years ago and how much you mentioned you loved your kid :) Good times ^_^

Sayah

Good luck Markman. Thanks for everything you've done for us.
Hmm, I don't recall any differences with QCF motions between the two games. I do recall having some issues getting certain QCF moves to come out properly in Tekken, specifically Drag's QCB+2. His QCF+2 is so easy right? Well it's easier because QCF is his crouch dash, and QCF+2 is a move that comes out of the crouch dash. The leniency on it is very wide with regards to when the 2 is pressed after the QCF. QCB+2 though, Drag has no QCB "stance" so the input is more strict on pressing the B and the 2 together. Basically, keep the last direction of the input held when you press the button. You can apply that logic to any motion in the game, including (especially) F,F ones.

Of course this is all assuming you're doing the QC motions correctly in the first place, though I don't know why you wouldn't be. If it's not mechanical, it's mental. Just gotta practice through it.

I made the switch from pad after getting tired of having my thumbs rubbed raw after hours long sessions of fighting games. Stick is just way easier on my hands, and the extra button real estate is great. Plus I derive some satisfaction in using it as if I'm learning a musical instrument. As it applies to Tekken, it probably takes about as much work.

Yeah, I'm definitely noticing a difference in doing qcf in SF vs. TEkken. SF is very lenient. Doing the same exact input in Tekken and not getting anywhere. To note: I'm particularly just practicing Anna qcf+1 since it's a quick qcf move that can be done consecutively in quick succession.

I suppose I'll keep learning stick but thinking I'm gonna be a pad warrior for life. I've never really had the issues of sore thumbs, blisters, and irritation that others have had.

BTW Sayah you can see JFnope stream sometimes on twitch. He's a hella good Midwest player that streams his TTT2 ranked battles. The player cam is always on his arcade stick so you can observe how he's doing a lot of the execution:

http://www.twitch.tv/justframenope

Thanks.

Gambit61

Thanks Markman! My madcatz sticks + your support for Tekken community has been what's kept me playing fighting games. Looking forward to Evo this weekend!

AAK

ZTS PM'd me on TZ his impressions and he wanted to share it with everyone on GAF:

So I finally got to play Tekken 7 yesterday for somewhere between 6 and 7 hours at the Dave & Buster’s in New York City. I got to kick it with LOC, Liquid, Kingsley, Rampage (Azzee), Xelnaga, and bunch of other NYC people. I want to give my complete rundown and impressions of the game and I have A LOT of impressions.

First we are going to start with some bad. Side Stepping is awful. Like unusable awful. It’s not surprise you don’t see much side stepping in Korean videos because the risk reward on it is just bad now. I think I had maybe 1 or 2 successful sidestep into punish when I was at negative frames in all the games I played. I tried quite a few simple set ups to do a SS launch and every time I would just get hit out of the side step. It’s not even the whole you can’t do anything (block or attack) for a like 5-10 frames out of side step, it’s that SS’s evasion is super ass too now. You barely move, at least for the characters I played. It’s an undeniable loss to the meta game of Tekken which really sucks. Pretty much every player there was in agreement that sidestepping was really bad.

Another universal opinion is that throws are much weaker but that comes as no surprise really.

Something that no a lot of people are mentioning as well is BDC also got nerfed in this game. Not as much as side step but as I pointed out originally when watching videos but was dismissed, your BDC distance is like half of Tag 2. It’s really apparent when you stop the match, stand next to a character and try to BDC away. It’s defiantly the weakest BDC has been since Tekken 4.

The change to oki is super weird and the first time I lost was because the new Oki system just confused the hell out of me. Not only can you not back roll but no one could figure out how to do any kind of spring up attack. Like b+3+4 or b+1+2 on the ground. It just wouldn’t work. Make no mistake though, this oki change is NOT to the benefit of the person who gets KD, it’s to the benefit of the person standing. It’s really easy to create meaty set ups or just brutalize your opponent on Oki due to the lack of options. It’s harder to get up safely than it was before.

The game does lag in local play. It’s really weird. At least 3 times I saw the game just straight up lag randomly in matches. Loading screens sometimes take forever too. There were some clipping graphic issues once in awhile with cloths as well. This is the latest version of the game too with all the balance changes so this stuff hasn’t really been fixed. Also a random thing graphically is that for some characters it really looks like they are floating above the stage floor when they are standing. They don’t look firmly planted.

Comboing in this game at least with the new characters that I played is really easy. I had never played any of the characters I played at the location test but within 1 to 2 games I already had full bnbs figured out and in my muscle memories. Comboing is a breeze in this game and if you have decent fundamentals you can beat people who have been maining characters for years with these new guys piece of cake cause they are so easy to pick up and play.

With ALL of that said the game is still really, really fun. Games are quick and action packed. The graphics ESPECIALLY for the backgrounds are fantastic. As people mentioned some hair is the only part that you feel like doesn’t work but that’s kind because everything else especially the faces of the characters look so good. It’s Tekken but simplified, sometimes needlessly.

Tailspin is a better mechanic than bound. It just works in an overall better. It makes low parries stronger while making wall damage weaker. Not much to say about it other than I enjoy this combo change.

Rage Arts are a legit threat at the end of rounds. You can do them to moves on reaction. In FACT you can do them while getting hit. WTF?! Yeah! Against Kingsley’s Feng I was able to activate Claudio’s rage art WHILE BEING hit. It was crazy to see, the hit spark was on screen because the move had connected but boom Claudio just ignored that shit looked at his hand and shot a soul arrow right in Feng’s asshole. Claudio’s worked really well in combos because you just do launch f+3 immediately into rage art which did good damage and gave you running oki. Super sick…

…But NOT as sick as slow motioned! OMG! I know I’ve said this before but seriously this shit is by far the best thing they added to the game hands down. In my short time there we had like 6+ “OMGWTF!?!” moments. The two sickest being when I u/f+2ed with Claudio over LOC’s Kazuya’s d+3 causing Claudio to have some ridiculous hang time before crashing down on Kazuya. But the best one was with 2 seconds left on the clock I hit a Rage Art against Kingsley(which stops the clock) and put him on the other side of the screen and I ran at him for running oki and slide and he tried to hit me out of it with a hopkick. It was like a god damn movie. Feng’s hopkick just missed Claudio incoming by like 2 pixels and the active frames of the slide caught Feng coming down for a 1% life lead at 7% to 6%. Shit was out of control.

As far as characters I played, I played Claudio, then switched to Kazumi, then switched to playing Katarina. I did very, very well with all of them.

Claudio was almost exactly as I expected. Every single theory fighting idea I had about him worked. He was in my opinion, my best character. Even though I never lost a game with Kazumi I still think my performance was better with Claudio. The one thing that I did not expect was the range on his hopkick is ridiculous. It no joke hits 2 character spaces away…and to think it used to hit FURTHER before they nerfed it. I felt like a scrub hopkicking so much with him but it’s just such a good move for him there is no reason not to. Claudio is super momentum based too. I had a lot of rounds where it was 1 hopkick, get Star Burst, hit them with f+1+2,1+2 round over. Once he gets Star Burst you really need to respect f+1+2 because it will fuck you up if you don’t. He is super strong in range 2. Also b+1 isn’t useless now. It just needs to be spaced properly and it is still safe, still used it a lot less then I would have otherwise. Overall I think Claudio is perfect the way he is. I don’t think he needs to be touched anymore. I like where he is at.

Kazumi was my must “successful” character in terms of win loss ratio and had some people getting pretty pissed. Pretty much she is super basic. I just poked all day. d/f+1(2), 112(hit confirm), d/b+3, d/b+4, f+2, fff+2, bf+21, u/f+343(hit confirm), df+2, u/f+4, and her magic 4. She has some of the easiest combos in the game, launch 1, bf+214 T! ff bf+211+2. It gives super good running oki afterwards. Fff+2 was a lot better than I expected. It’s negative on block but the range it puts you at makes it so that you can easily space out of wiff punish if they try to retaliate and if they overextend with a slow move, they eat magic 4 for 40%. Her f+2 was the best armor move out of everyone’s I saw. It’s fast, KD, and does good damage. She was the only character where I legit was doing set ups involving power crush. Despite the idea that she has “no lows” her d/b+3 and d/b+4 are better than any low Claudio has and are great for poking and pressuring. Her one big weakness is that her launchers are either too slow(d/f+2 and u/f+343) or have no range (u/f+4). I was finding almost all of my damage off of pokes, CHs, and hit confirms with her. I think if they just speed up d/f+2 to maybe like 15 or 16 frames she will be good to go as a character.

Katarina was picked at the end of the night after we got diner and things were winding down. I originally picked her because I wanted to give Azzee a character to practice his combos on but he insisted we play the match out instead. She’s the scrub queens. KD lows that people can’t see yet, u/f+444444 combos, solid d/f+1, jabs, and d/f+2 series is what I used with her pretty much. To be honest I was surprised how long I was on the machine while playing her. I just played her with a lot of simple concepts in mind, trying to take advantage of the changes in oki with her KD lows. Definitely an easy character to pick up and scrub out some wins. I really don’t have much to say about her other than that. I only played her for one sitting for about 7 games.

Also I have to say that it was FANTASTIC to be back in the arcade environment after so many years. I savored every moment of it because I knew it would probably be the last time I will get to experience this feeling again. The game defiantly was drawing eyeballs too. A whole bunch of people would always be walking by but take a second to stand there and watch the group of us play the game.

In closing me and Kingsley were having diner late into the night and we both agree something needs to be changed with sidestep and that is the one thing that is really holding the game back. They need to either remove the delay to guard OR they need to give it increased evasive properties because as is right now it doesn’t work. It’s broken. Side Stepping does not work how it should in Tekken 7. It’s the only real problem I have with the game. Oki, nerfed BDC, whatever, you can make due because those mechanics still work as intended just to a lesser degree but sidestep just doesn’t. It’s not enough to make me not want to play the game and take the fun out but it really feels like a key element of Tekken has gone missing.

PS: I’m not perma-banned I’ll be back after EVO. See you guys then.

Yeah I definitely noticed BDC was weaker in the time I spent with the game. I chalked it up to a lack of practice on J-stick, but it certainly didn't look/feel right to me during matches. Probably about as responsive as TR.

AZUMIKE

Liking the gameplay changes thus far. Its simplified, and yet it still plays like Tekken.

Call me a noob, but I'm glad BDC and Sidestepping are less potent. That said, sidestepping being useless is a problem. We'll see how it looks at EVO, I guess. Strange that there are no get-up-moves from the ground, but I'm definitely open to the current get-up mechanic.

Definitely hype for this game and the upcoming tournaments for it.

Doomshine

Liking the gameplay changes thus far. Its simplified, and yet it still plays like Tekken.

Call me a noob, but I'm glad BDC and Sidestepping are less potent. That said, sidestepping being useless is a problem. We'll see how it looks at EVO, I guess. Strange that there are no get-up-moves from the ground, but I'm definitely open to the current get-up mechanic.

Definitely hype for this game and the upcoming tournaments for it.

I would wait for more impressions before labeling something as useless.

As for get-up moves, I have definitely seen them, don't know if the input has changed though:

https://youtu.be/aWWnSKf_cYs?t=26

sasuke_91

Lol, there was a T7 tournament in France 2 weeks ago. Totally missed that. Didn't have any time anyway and I'd have had to travel 5 hours minimum.

Thanks guys for your impressions. This doesn't sound nearly as bad as I thought. T7 seems to be a fun game with some major movement problems. I'm kind of hyped again, although not that much :p

And MarkMan, thanks for everything you've done and best wishes for you and your daughter. You're a cool guy^^

av2k

Yeah, too bad. I didn't have much time left either because I had to go and eat, but I had a few matches with av2k. Good games Numb.
Good games av2k. You're as crazy of a player as I remember :D
It did feel like I managed to play a lot better against you than last time though. And the lag wasn't horrible. The only problem was the inconsistent 1-3 bar connection.

ggs Sasuke :D, the lag was annoying but at least I finally got to play you again.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
And MarkMan, thanks for everything you've done and best wishes for you and your daughter. You're a cool guy^^

Markman is one of the good guys for sure.

Best wishes MarkMan.

Thanks Markman! My madcatz sticks + your support for Tekken community has been what's kept me playing fighting games. Looking forward to Evo this weekend!

Good luck Markman. Thanks for everything you've done for us.

Good going MM! I just became a step dad too, so I understand :)

I still remember our IRC CAG_Fight chats late into the night years ago and how much you mentioned you loved your kid :) Good times ^_^

Good luck in the future, Markman!

Godspeed Markman!

Thanks everyone for the comments and well wishes. I'm not leaving the TEKKEN community. I'll be around (probably more now).

Manbig

After spending about 4 hours at Dave and Busters today, I can double down on my statement that sidestep is NOT useless! It is a serious knee jerk reaction. Bloodhawk was stepping stuff today no problem. Hell even I was able to get around some things with Jack of all characters.

Another thing to note is that Lili still has a very good sidestep that she leans into. Fab was playing as her a lot today and said so himself.

Lastly, versus certain set ups, you might have to commit to a sidewalk to get around rather than a side step. For example, I couldn't get around the build in 3+4 follow up to Lili's d/f3+4 with a SSR while using Dragunov. SWR beat it out though. The SSR might still work, but just require very strict timing now.

Overall, until people get significant time with a legit training mode, any declaration of a mechanic being useless is null as far as I'm concerned.

AZUMIKE

After spending about 4 hours at Dave and Busters today, I can double down on my statement that sidestep is NOT useless! It is a serious knee jerk reaction. Bloodhawk was stepping stuff today no problem. Hell even I was able to get around some things with Jack of all characters.

Another thing to note is that Lili still has a very good sidestep that she leans into. Fab was playing as her a lot today and said so himself.

Lastly, versus certain set ups, you might have to commit to a sidewalk to get around rather than a side step. For example, I couldn't get around the build in 3+4 follow up to Lili's d/f3+4 with a SSR while using Dragunov. SWR beat it out though. The SSR might still work, but just require very strict timing now.

Overall, until people get significant time with a legit training mode, any declaration of a mechanic being useless is null as far as I'm concerned.

Nice! Those knee jerk reactions....lol Harada and M. Murray must get those a lot.

HeelPower

Current judgments are prolly premature ,but just watching the game makes it painfully obvious that BDC and SS are ,if not "useless",much weaker than all previous iterations.

AAK

Something tells me that that capos are replaced by LC in Tekken 7 because of how difficult the match-up was going to be without having the ability to properly sidestep and punish.

Ruehl

Neo Member
Edit: Never mind, I figured it out! ^_^

Tekken 7 is awesome! This is my first time using stick so it's quite the experience. lol

joeblow

I've enjoyed my time with T7 so far. It's a very fun sequel.

One response though to a player above who couldn't do spring getup kicks - they are still in the game. You have to simply do 3+4 from KND, not b+3+4 like betore.

Manbig

My brother and I are eating right now but other than us there were just two other guys up here that we saw so far.

Edit: Okay, just my brother and I up here now. lol

Nice to meet you and your brother dude. Sorry I was in such a rush. I was testing the limits of my break there lol.

Some notes from the few matches I had today.

- Lili's d/f3+4 still clips me all day long when i try to move around from mid range. That's a terrible habit that I need to get rid of. As far as dealing with her follow ups though, SSR still won out versus a lot of things. Stand jab I could not get around though, but I only tried twice, so it might have been my timing.

- Dragunov's d2 didn't only receive a range nerf, but it also crushes highs much slower. I eat fast high CHs all of the time when trying to do it after minor negative frames.

- I forgot to mention this yesterday, but fab also confirmed that you can CH throw attempts. I still have yet to test this one myself though.

That's all from that top of my head. I might stop by for a bit again after work.

Ruehl

Neo Member
Nice to meet you and your brother dude. Sorry I was in such a rush. I was testing the limits of my break there lol.

That's all from that top of my head. I might stop by for a bit again after work.

It was nice meeting you as well. Good games man! Playing stick wasn't as tough as I expected but I found quarter circles and forward forward motions to be difficult. I also often got wrong inputs, such as down/forward instead of down or down/forward instead of forward and everything in between! Hahaha

I wish I could practice more but we're about to get on our flight back home. I'm planning on coming back out though next Tuesday-Thursday. Can't wait to play some more Tekken 7! Just need to get used to stick but I doubt I'll keep with it once it drops on PS4 (I'm definitely a pad warrior lol).

Ruehl

Neo Member
You guys flew all the way over here just to play some Tekken? That's some serious dedication.

Yep, we flew in at 9am this morning!

We don't really play video games, but we love Tekken! It's the only game we play (besides MKX from time to time). Haha

Hope to see you out there again next week! ^_^

No shame in wanting to focus on family, Good luck Markman.

It seems Namco thinks that making every character decent is too hard, so they are nerfing all the defensive options instead.

Everyone says the game is fun though, I'm optimistic.

So I just got this off the PSN sale and I really like it, it looks good, has a ton of content, and I'm a huge fan of unlockables in any game, but I have a few questions -
Why is the hair so terrible in the customization options? The front of the head always has that spiky balding pattern and only the back is changed. It's mullet city. It's just weird that when they were making this no one objected. I keep all the heads as they are.

And this is a huge question that will make me seem naive as hell, but is the entire point of the game to chain the longest combo possible? Is this what I need to learn to be good?
I only play single player and I do pretty well, but sometimes I will just randomly get decimated by the computer. It just becomes relentless. The computer seems to love doing long ass combos that take away half your health. Especially Jun at the end. I have to say that I kind of hate it.
If there's a cheap way to beat Jun, let me know. I'm not above it.

So I just got this off the PSN sale and I really like it, it looks good, has a ton of content, and I'm a huge fan of unlockables in any game, but I have a few questions -
Why is the hair so terrible in the customization options? The front of the head always has that spiky balding pattern and only the back is changed. It's mullet city. It's just weird that when they were making this no one objected. I keep all the heads as they are.

And this is a huge question that will make me seem naive as hell, but is the entire point of the game to chain the longest combo possible? Is this what I need to learn to be good?
I only play single player and I do pretty well, but sometimes I will just randomly get decimated by the computer. It just becomes relentless. The computer seems to love doing long ass combos that take away half your health. Especially Jun at the end. I have to say that I kind of hate it.

Hair customs are fairly poor, but they have more options than you have seen. When you equip a hair, save the character and go back into the store. You'll see a couple more hair tabs open up that let you apply different bangs on the front and side of the hair, as well as other hair accessories. It's roundabout but that's how they made the system work.

You don't need big combos to beat Jun/Unknown, but it does help. She will pretty much maximize any opening you give her so just be sure to block plenty and attack when it's safe to do so. She's solo so her red health recovers automatically all match making it difficult to finish her off, so you can prevent that by using tag throws that don't leave red health. And if you know how to perform red health draining combos, do those too.

I'll also add that you get more stuff unlocked and more out of the game through ghost battles than arcade mode. You run through the whole cast that increase in difficulty the higher up the ranks you earn. You can learn a few tricks from them, but they're mostly practice for your defense and combos.

Sayah

I'm really glad to hear these impressions. Sounds like Tekken 7 is going to be very fun. My plans to go to D&B keep getting ruined. It's Ramadan so a lot of responsibilities I have to take care of that come first. Again, will try soon. I really want to play. It's been almost a week since the game's been there and I still haven't got my chance to play it. :(

You can change the front of the hair too and add bangs and other options. Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUwN-lE0_6s

Also, the entire point of the game isn't chaining the longest combos. Movement, wakeup, pokes, tracking moves, and other stuff are very important to know and learn. Combos are just a part of this whole and actually are easy to learn for the most part. Movement is what you have to work on more. I suggest looking at some tutorials from level up your game or avoiding the puddle.

ZTS PM'd me on TZ his impressions and he wanted to share it with everyone on GAF:

Thanks for these impressions ZTS.

Yep, we flew in at 9am this morning!

We don't really play video games, but we love Tekken! It's the only game we play (besides MKX from time to time). Haha

Hope to see you out there again next week! ^_^

Sorry, couldn't make it this afternoon. It's great you had a good time, though. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I only really enjoy Tekken and Smash Bros.

Thank God you can change the hair in different ways. I thought they had a brain fart abd just released it like that.
And also thanks for the tips. I'll keep trying.

Is everything unlocked through ghost battles? Or are there certain things that can only be unlocked in certain modes?
Also, will there be more things added to the customization store or is that it?

Thanks for answering all my questions.

Thank God you can change the hair in different ways. I thought they had a brain fart abd just released it like that.

Is everything unlocked through ghost battles? Or are there certain things that can only be unlocked in certain modes?

Everything can be unlocked through ghost battles, including character endings (largely random, those). The store has been as-is since day 1; the only extra (free) dlc stuff they added were swimsuits and the white dress for Lili. You unlock more stuff to buy through ghost battles though by selecting the gold plated opponents at the end of a match and beating them.

EDIT: Oh right, the LCD backgrounds can only be unlocked through online ranked mode. You get a couple for every new rank color you progress through (light blue, green, yellow, orange, etc). But good luck with that!

Sayah

What Famicom said above. ^^^^^^

And make sure you are dashing when moving forward (i.e. pressing forward, forward twice in quick succession to move) and NOT holding forward to move. I see way too many new people holding forward and wondering why the characters are moving like a tank. lol.

I only play single player and I do pretty well, but sometimes I will just randomly get decimated by the computer. It just becomes relentless. The computer seems to love doing long ass combos that take away half your health.

Big ass combos aren't the point, they are the -reward- you get for landing a big launcher. Landing a big launcher typically involves more risk than using safe pokes, and the actual game is more about using movement and timing and punishing and pokes and taking well-timed risks once in a while. Then if someone makes a damn big mistake they get juggled for half their health.

If you're just starting out though, combos are an easy way to tilt the risk/reward proposition in your favor. They're not that hard to learn in Tekken compared to other fighting games either.

So what's the best way to make money? I already did all the one time stuff that gives you 2 billion or whatever. I'm just playing ghost battles now, but I'm not making much money.

AAK

Best way to make money:

(Requires an Arcade stick)

Go to ghost battle mode, pick Baek. Hold the turbo button and mash the 3 button (left kick). Release the turbo button and let the game run for a few hours while you can do homework or cook or whatever you want. You'll have hella money after.

Numb

Got a stick but never knew what the turbo was for. I don't use it for Tekken tho(pad) and it gets little use in other fighters.
Got most of my money from ghost and online and have been capped at 999,999,999 gold for a long time.

Manbig

I always assumed that the sticks had that to utilize with a record function in training mode to ensure that inputs out of stuff like block stun would come out at the earliest possible frame.

I might just be overthinking it though. Maybe it's just a gimmick. Maybe MarkMan can verify.

Manbig

Because of the Tekken buffer system, it is not difficult to execute a move on the first frame after the block stun ends.

The buffer system is only super lenient for directional inputs, not attack button inputs, so it would be useful for jabs.

Also, the sticks aren't only for Tekken. :p

Side note, T7 EVO stream is live. Bloodhawk and Naps are currently commentating. They both were already spitting venom at people that use button binds on pad
European players. :p

http://www.twitch.tv/srkevo5

Manbig

That match was a decent example of both what you can and can't do anymore with the sidestep/walk changes. For example, P Ling tried to do the tech into instant sidewalk versus an obvious running 3 and he ate it. That sidewalk probably would've worked in Tag 2.

Xevren

Man watching Claudio play looks nuts, love the blue starburst effect or whatever it's called. Sad to see Aris out already :(

G5gywf6.jpg

Tyler2k went to that Namco panel at evo, and apparently T4 killed new Tekken designs I guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom