• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAK

When Bob's got a legitimately invincible back swing blow that crushes mids along with a command backroll for every other situation there's no reason not to raw tag when you want to :p

Dereck

I still believe in a 2016 release.
Believe

EDIT: To the "first world problem boyz" if you think we've been complaining, then I wonder what this is.

jCXJApf.png

While you guys are complaining about not playing Tekken 7 I'll be at WizWorld Minnaepolos taking advantage of Namco's generosity.

Entering as "The player formerly known as ZTS" as a tribute to Prince. RIP

Sayah

Believe

EDIT: To the "first world problem boyz" if you think we've been complaining, then I wonder what this is.

jCXJApf.png

Woooow!

That's hilarious. And I thought we complained, lol.

Edit: As I've reiterated multiple times, I don't have the willpower to support the Tekken franchise if I end up waiting all the way to 2017. Even late 2016 is really stretching it. I don't want to support their idiotic, stupid model. A one year wait is one thing. A two year wait is something else entirely.

A baby infant can be born and grow 730+ days old in the time frame we're waiting for one damn game to release that's only available to a special, privileged minority while making 95% of remaining worldwide fans thirst like dogs. It would be different if no one had access to Tekken 7 because the game was incomplete, like FFXV or the Last Guardian. But that's not the case here.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
No?

They said there will be a new character.

Characters plural. Hope by new they just mean new to Tekken 7. I think 8 actual newcomers (Shaheen, Claudio, Katarina, Lucky Chloe, Josie, Gigas, Kazumi, Akuma) is plenty, even if some of them suck.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Characters plural. Hope by new they just mean new to Tekken 7. I think 8 actual newcomers (Shaheen, Claudio, Katarina, Lucky Chloe, Josie, Gigas, Kazumi, Akuma) is plenty, even if some of them suck.

I hope its entirely new characters, none of the old, absent characters are needed, or interesting imo (well, Bruce, but Josie replaces him well enough))

Doomshine

Late to the party, but congratulations Tera!

As for my own studies... I just completed my last internship and now it's just a matter of sending and filling in a bunch of papers and I'll be a practical nurse with a focus on mental health and addiction treatment! (officially in June)

Now bring on Tekken 7
lol

As for my own studies... I just completed my last internship and now it's just a matter of sending and filling in a bunch of papers and I'll be a practical nurse with a focus on mental health and addiction treatment! (officially in June)

Now bring on Tekken 7
lol

That's great. Mental health was tough but rewarding and eye-opening. Congrats and thank you. :)

GrayFoxPL

While you guys are complaining about not playing Tekken 7 I'll be at WizWorld Minnaepolos taking advantage of Namco's generosity.

Entering as "The player formerly known as ZTS" as a tribute to Prince. RIP

You say like we have a choice. It's like you are annoyed by our complaining, jabbing and joking because YOU have the option to play the game. 98% of western Tekken fans can't even touch the game but it doesn't matter, right?

I should make myself non-disabled by magic and travel across the world to US to a random city where oh so thoughtful (of western fans) Namco installed TWO arcades.

Western Tekken fans got fucked on Tekken 7 and that's a fact.

They didn't left us with anything other than option to complain, joke and take jabs at non-existent, for most, Tekken7.

sasuke_91

To the "first world problem boyz" if you think we've been complaining, then I wonder what this is.

jCXJApf.png

Okay, you've won. That's on a totally different level...

Why do these guys always sound so preachy? "I was one of those believers... but then I converted to ATekkenism"

Sorry missed this msg.

I'm not in Tekken shape right now, sorry.

No problem man.

I mean, its just an opinion, but I really dont find the likes of Lee, Lei, Capos at all interesting.

Lee is one of the coolest characters in the roster. To me at least.

Rajang

Updated with alot more interviews

Red Bull interview with Harada.

Katsuhiro Harada Preserves Tekken's Arcade Spirit
Tekken's godfather explains his teams dedication to Japan's continued arcade cycle.

“I would often give feedback to someone who entered the company at the same time about what they should do with Tekken before the game was even released,” Harada told us through senior Tekken designer Michael Murray. “The award allowed me to state what I wanted to do more freely than other people. At that time, a core group of staff left to go to Square about that same time, which gave me the opportunity to say, ‘I want to go into development, I think I could make a pretty decent fighting game.’”
Since then, Tekken’s presence in the competitive community has grown by leaps and bounds, with Bandai Namco themselves providing huge pot bonuses to events like Evo, Final Round, and their own King of Iron Fist Tournament. Harada is far from surprised with these developments.

“Before eSports became the buzzword that it is today, fighting gamers had their own local grassroots tournaments where they would borrow a gym or something and do it on their own accord. That level of competition is something we anticipated,” he explained. That said, prize money was something that never factored into their predictions, as fighting game competition survived for years without major financial support, and they were also pleasantly surprised to see offline events grow even after the advent of online play.

Teaching the community
This puts the latest installment, Tekken 7, in an interesting position. Although it landed in arcades last March, it never moved to home platforms, and little has been said about the future of its upcoming Fated Retribution. Japan’s arcade scene may not be as strong as it once was, but it’s booming compared to the wasteland that is North America. Still, the title’s appearance at Evo 2015, played entirely on cabinets, showed that American competitors like Jimmy “Mr. Naps” Tran have what it takes to keep up with their Asian counterparts.

“That [success] probably has to do with the franchise returning to its one-on-one roots,” Harada said of the Evo results, noting that Tekken Tag Tournament 2’s focus on utilizing two characters and tag mechanics likely gave players with regular access to arcades a bigger lead in learning their complexities.

“Because [Tekken 7] has sort of returned to that base system, with more approachable elements like Rage Arts, it’s easier to understand the mechanics and pick it up once you have your hands on it,” Harada continued. “It’s really because the game’s been refined. For example, how to get off the ground was something that stumbled a lot of people previously because there’s so many choices and so many ways to do the wrong thing, but we’ve made the choices simpler. Before, people would lose without knowing why they lost, where now, when you lose, you have an idea why. You just made the wrong decision. It’s easier to approach.”

“My thinking now is [that educating] doesn’t necessarily have to be in-game. Maybe that’s not always the best way of teaching someone. There’s watching videos, teaming up with a friend online and having them teach you; there’s many ways to go about it. It’s something we’re still thinking about, and perhaps we can do something to facilitate that and make it more effective, like an online training mode.”

The arcade lives on
While their decision to stay true to the arcade cycle may upset fans missing out on Tekken 7, improvements like those described above are made possible by these releases.

“For Tekken, luckily, we’re still able to have a healthy arcade version and recoup the funds for developing it,” Harada explained. “Sometimes, western gamers say it’s an outdated business model, but what people don’t realize is that that phase allows us to polish the game and make a more complete package when it does come to consoles. We also get a large bit of profit, more than most people would probably realize. Those funds don’t go into our pockets--they pay for all the fancy bells and whistles of the console Tekken that people love, like additional characters, beautiful cinematic movies, and more. We’re able to do that because of the profit we get first from arcades. So if we were to develop from scratch just for consoles, it would be much more difficult.”

“For Tekken 7, we chose to release in arcade first and polish the game in the standard Tekken cycle, but is that always going to be the case? Maybe not,” Harada said. “We might have to reevaluate that decision with any possible future installments.”

Full interview: Red Bull.com

Interview with Gamespot about TxSF, how to deal with rage quitters in fighting games and free to play model in Tekken: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV035K0n_M0

Alot more in the written interview:
GameSpot: Who is your favorite Tekken commentator?

Harada: Aris--now that he's a little bit more grown up--is one of the obvious choices because he's very entertaining. Then also MarkMan for MC and such. Rip is actually quite good for people who are new to the series and easy to understand. Personally, I like Tasty Steve. I don't know if you're all familiar with him. He's very hyped, very knowledgeable about both Tekken, but also Street Fighter and other fighting games. He's probably my favorite.

Who's your favorite U.S. Tekken player and your favorite non-U.S. player?

Harada: That's a very hard question. For the U.S. perhaps Mr. Naps. He's been a cornerstone of the American Tekken community for quite some time and he's always been very consistent. Outside of the U.S. is a very hard choice, but perhaps JDCR. He's someone I wouldn't want to go up against if I were in that position.

Murray: Me personally, for U.S. players, maybe he's not so well known, but Pokchop, he's from Atlanta. He's very entertaining, just the enthusiasm and passion he has for the game. He also knows how to work the crowd. For outside of the U.S. I would definitely have to go with--very orthodox choice--but Nobi, just because he knows so many characters so well. He goes beyond the typical way of how to play a certain character and comes up with his own unique way of using those and winning in a very flashy way. He's just so positive too. He's someone that everyone likes. I think he's a really good representative of the Tekken community.

GameSpot

More in the link.

Interview with Game Revolution:
GR: If you had a chance not to worry about licenses, what other game characters (from other fighting games or otherwise) do you think would fit in the Tekken roster?

Harada: If it were a game character, let me think. I would ask for two—one from a fighting game, and one that is not.

I think from fighting games, it is definitely Akuma, and I think that it is a good choice, as you can tell from the overwhelmingly positive feedback. If I had to choose another, perhaps Geese Howard. I think a bad man like him would fit well in Tekken, and I am confident we can make him look pretty cool in TK7.

Regarding a non-fighting game character, that’s difficult. Any good ideas? Personally, I would like to take Spelunker from the SNES. When someone chooses him from the character select screen, he is so surprised to be chosen that he dies before the match! lol.

GR: On the subject of Tekken mini-games, which one is your personal favorite? Tekken Bowl, Tekken Force, Scenario Campaign, Tekken Ball?

Harada: As a game, I would say Scenario Campaign. I do have fond memories during development from Tekken Ball and Tekkn Bowl, though.

GR: Are there any concepts you had for Tekken mini-games you never had the chance or the time to create?

Harada: There were a few:

- A mode in which player communities from different arcades compete against each other.
- Tekken Cart Race
- Tekken Soccer/Football
- Tekken Baseball
- Tekken Dodgeball
- Tekken Tennis

Game Revolution

LOL

GrayFoxPL

Harada says TxSF development is on hold at the moment. By "moment" he probably means half a decade.

Also:
“It might seem like we haven’t started on it at all, but the character lineup has been decided upon since a very long time ago. And we’ve already finished the polygon models, moves, and systems.”

RYzaQH4.gif

Why he keeps repeating in every interview: "the character lineup has been decided upon since a very long time ago." like it's the most important thing.

"Hey we decided on the character roster loooooong time ago! I'm telling you, very very long time ago! So long ago that the document papers turned from white to yellow! That's how long ago."

Fp2WN0j.gif

Now bring on Tekken 7
lol

Congrats Doom, you'll do well at your job, I believe it.

Sayah

Errrrr......every Tekken besides Tekken 6 and Tekken 7 released in a reasonable time frame. And Tekken 6 had one of the worst singe player modes of any Tekken game ever released. Is that the bells and whistles they are talking about? And they can't use the "hd development takes more time excuse" because Tag 2 came jam packed with content and released within a year.

I'm not buying it. Sorry. The real reason they've delayed the console release is because arcades are making big bucks for them, which is great and all but they're focusing on that profit at the expense of worldwide fans.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Errrrr......every Tekken besides Tekken 6 and Tekken 7 released in a reasonable time frame. And Tekken 6 had one of the worst singe player modes of any Tekken game ever released. Is that the bells and whistles they are talking about? And they can't use the "hd development takes more time excuse" because Tag 2 came jam packed with content and released within a year.

I'm not buying it. Sorry. The real reason they've delayed the console release is because arcades are making big bucks for them, which is great and all but they're focusing on that profit at the expense of worldwide fans.

The team can release a game that is incomplete. Not optimal for online play. Not polished from a system/gameplay standpoint. Ridden with bugs.

I don't think anyone would want that though.

Just speaking from my experience. T7 is a completely different beast compared to T6 to TTT2 era. Using so many new systems/teams internally to create just the arcade title is a task in itself. You have to remember, the arcade version was optimized for the arcade experience... It being always 'online' and the infrastructure needed to mirror sides/two player experience (caused by allowing players to pick their preferred side to play on). This stuff has to be done from the ground up for the console version and while yes, there is an easier way to port it because of existing tools, there is much more things to check/tick off on the development side to make sure it meets the quality needed.

But honestly, all that is moot because:

The arcade version is not done and the arcade version T7FR hasn't been released yet

Just my two cents as a fan and as someone that helps with the project.

I'm sure my words won't change many people's minds in here but it is what it is.

Whenever T7 home version does come out, we'll see you around. I'm a fan of the game and will wait patiently until my community gets to play it.

Rheon

Well.. Markman didn't lie. No matter when Tekken 7 console eventually drops, despite all our grumbling, we'll still play it.

KHmGKuk.png

AZUMIKE

The team can release a game that is incomplete. Not optimal for online play. Not polished from a system/gameplay standpoint. Ridden with bugs.

No thank you.

Tekken Team, take your time and do it right. I'll be patiently waiting. Until then, catch ya on the flip-side.

AAK

I don't mind waiting either... but whenever you do release it, please light the world on fire. Please don't release a game with animations from 1996 and such inconsistent costume models.

Also congrats to Doomshine as well.

Sayah

I don't think anyone would want that though.

Just speaking from my experience. T7 is a completely different beast compared to T6 to TTT2 era. Using so many new systems/teams internally to create just the arcade title is a task in itself. You have to remember, the arcade version was optimized for the arcade experience... It being always 'online' and the infrastructure needed to mirror sides/two player experience (caused by allowing players to pick their preferred side to play on). This stuff has to be done from the ground up for the console version and while yes, there is an easier way to port it because of existing tools, there is much more things to check/tick off on the development side to make sure it meets the quality needed.

But honestly, all that is moot because:

The arcade version is not done and the arcade version T7FR hasn't been released yet

Just my two cents as a fan and as someone that helps with the project.

I'm sure my words won't change many people's minds in here but it is what it is.

Whenever T7 home version does come out, we'll see you around. I'm a fan of the game and will wait patiently until my community gets to play it.

I'll trust your word, MarkMan and thanks for the greater context.

I'm just very tired and annoyed with these two+ year wait cycles. Tekken 6 wait was alrady so brutal and I had hoped nothing like that would ever happen again but here we are. The company could be doing a Tekken 7: Prologue or demo or something to make the wait a little easier but nothing of that sort seems to be in the pipeline.

I'm just very tired and annoyed with these two+ year wait cycles. Tekken 6 wait was alrady so brutal and I had hoped nothing like that would ever happen again but here we are. The company could be doing a Tekken 7: Prologue or demo or something to make the wait a little easier but nothing of that sort seems to be in the pipeline.

Play something else, it's all you can do. Guilty Gear is coming out soon? Even KoF14 and BBCF will be out well before T7 i imagine, and there's always SFV.

Tekken's just a largely asia/arcade only franchise for now and for the foreseeable future. That's not so unique a situation, it happens to a lot of anime fighters too. Well, used to happen at least.

Probably best to forget about Tekken for now. Sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom