• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Story and Lore Discussion Thread

I would love a 3v3 Tag 3 game.

What are we talking about in here anyway?

Lei Wulong is Chinese through and through. Jun has gone missing, and isn't dead. Wang and Bruce survived Ogre's attack. Also, Akumal is canon, not a guest character.

Anyway, what nationality is Mokujin?
not sure who exactly you were responding to but I never made the case that lei isn't Chinese at all, and I'm not sure Bruce crossed paths with ogre. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. I also think the word was Wang didn't cross paths either.

As for Akuma, even if he is canon, he is originally a street fighter character which by definition would make him a guest, wouldn't it? But that's all a part of what some here are hypothesizing.

It was during Tekken 6 that the Mishima Zaibatsu started to militarize in a big way and at that point I think Tekken became a tad less interesting. I don't think Tekken needs armies and large scale military battles. I think Tekken has always been at its best when it deals strictly with martial arts fantasy and eastern mysticism. Tekken should get back to its roots. Introducing Akuma is a good way of getting the focus back on the martial arts.

Tekken is best when martial arts masters were vying for rights to be considered the strongest fighters in the world. All the extra motives should be secondary, we can make exceptions for characters who have their own personal vendettas. The Mishima Zaibatsu pursuit for world dominance has gotten out of control and has switched ownership too many times. The Mishima Zaibatsu should become a defunct organization after Tekken 7.

Another "player" should take Heihachi's place and not one of his sons.

I miss that quasi-eighties vibe Tekken 2 had. 3-5 weren't bad, but something was lost. The 2D industrial backdrops and the amazing music and darker aesthetics gave it a personality all its own and certainly left an impression on my MK loving self back then.

T6 bugged me with its animu influence. Pink-haired, bubbly robot and Cloud Strife wannabe and all.

I miss that quasi-eighties vibe Tekken 2 had. 3-5 weren't bad, but something was lost. The 2D industrial backdrops and the amazing music and darker aesthetics gave it a personality all its own and certainly left an impression on my MK loving self back then.

T6 bugged me with its animu influence. Pink-haired, bubbly robot and Cloud Strife wannabe and all.

Damn straight. I agree with everything you've said. Tekken should reboot one day in the near future and make love to the late 80's early 90's atmosphere. The anime focus and infantilization of the series has contributed somewhat to the decline of the brand in the west. I don't mind the lighthearted bits but it has to be done in moderation.

OEKshFtHYAHCw.gif

both tekken 2 and 3 are among the greatest games of all time

both tekken 2 and 3 are among the greatest games of all time

I would imagine Metal Gear has surpassed Tekken in franchise sales at this point. It's still damn impressive to mention Tekken and Metal Gear in the same sentence. I would say something about how a franchise in decline vs a franchise on the rise, but it's hard to know what will happen with the Metal Gear franchise without Kojima at the helm.

I would imagine Metal Gear has surpassed Tekken in franchise sales at this point. It's still damn impressive to mention Tekken and Metal Gear in the same sentence. I would say something about how a franchise in decline vs a franchise on the rise, but it's hard to know what will happen with the Metal Gear franchise without Kojima at the helm.
both heihachi and raiden were in psasbr :p

metal gear has sold over 41 million units and tekken has sold over 45 million units, although I think tekken has had more games.

both heihachi and raiden were in psasbr :p

metal gear has sold over 41 million units and tekken has sold over 45 million units, although I think tekken has had more games.

I don't think so Tekken family. This is an interesting comparison to think/talk about.

The Metal Gear timeline.

Metal Gear chronology
1964 – Snake Eater
1970 – Portable Ops
1974 – Peace Walker
1975 – Ground Zeroes
1984 – The Phantom Pain
1995 – Metal Gear
1999 – Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
2005 – Metal Gear Solid (The Twin Snakes)
2007/09 – Sons of Liberty
2014 – Guns of the Patriots
2018 – Revengeance

VS

Tekken Main Series Chronology
Tekken (Arcade, PlayStation, PSN) 1994
Tekken 2 (Arcade, PlayStation, PSN) 1996
Tekken 3 (Arcade, PlayStation) 2015
Tekken 4 (Arcade, PS2) 2017
Tekken 5 (Arcade, PS2) 2017
Tekken 6 (Arcade, PS3, PSP, Xbox 360) 2018
Tekken 7 (Arcade) 20XX

Spinoff Series
TTT non canon
TTT2 non canon

Updates
Tekken DR
Tekken BR

I still think with Phantom Pain I'd give Metal Gear a sales edge. I have no hard numbers to support this feeling though.

So why was orgre's 2 forms seemingly taken from 2 completely different religious deities

I'm in the dark on this topic. I'm not a fan of the True Ogre form to be honest. I didn't mind it when I was younger, but as I have gotten older I realize the best monsters look just like you and me. They come dressed in suits and look trust worthy. It sucks to get old. I'll look into this and see what I can find. Interesting.

So why was orgre's 2 forms seemingly taken from 2 completely different religious deities

The Aztecs had five different sun gods. Human Ogre clearly draws inspiration from the ancient Aztec religion when it comes to its appearance and its temple. I have no Idea where the inspiration comes from for its second True Ogre form. I never knew Ogre is apparently alien in origin as in from another planet.

Those ancient aliens theories/speculation have made it all the way to Japan apparently.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I'm in the dark on this topic. I'm not a fan of the True Ogre form to be honest. I didn't mind it when I was younger, but as I have gotten older I realize the best monsters look just like you and me. They come dressed in suits and look trust worthy. It sucks to get old. I'll look into this and see what I can find. Interesting.

The Aztecs had five different sun gods. Human Ogre clearly draws inspiration from the ancient Aztec religion when it comes to its appearance and its temple. I have no Idea where the inspiration comes from for its second True Ogre form. I never knew Ogre is apparently alien in origin as in from another planet.

Those ancient aliens theories/speculation have made it all the way to Japan apparently.

Human ogre obviously is from aztec religion, but true ogre to me atleast looks like he is a interpretation of the christian Devil, they dont match up at all design wise.

db987ab8a6d341c1f331a3af0fe187a7.jpg

I wonder what Namco has planned for Nina in the series from a narrative stand point. Nina doesn't seem like the type of character to get married. My guess is that she's using this as a disguise in order to get closer proximity on a target for assassination. It would be interesting though if Nina wanted to get away from her current lifestyle.

bump

more burning questions off the top of my head, also added to the OP

-Although Asuka's T5 ending wasn't canon (since she didn't win the tournament) - are the implicating events of the ending canon? Meaning,
-Is she, along with Xiao a potential romantic interest for Jin (again, I don't condone incestuous practices however it is true that in some cultures, cousin on cousin marriages are legal)
-Does she have the Devil reversal healing powers like Jun does?

Furthermore, going back on TTT, even though the game itself is not canon, I think some of the endings may be more than what meets the eye.

-Ogre's ending...where he lifts up a seemingly defeated Jin Kazama. What if this is canon? What if this took place in between Paul's win against Ogre and Ogre's transformation to True Ogre? Behind the scenes, Unknown (whom we know is supposed to be Jun's sister) interrupts Ogre's probably execution of Jin. Perhaps it is after that in which Ogre transforms? Giving Jin time to recover and fight again?

-Again, just because a character didn't win the tournament doesn't necessarily mean their ending wasn't canon. King II didn't win Tekken 4, however, he did face Marduk and won. But left him alive. So it can be deduced that King II's Tekken 4 ending WAS canon. This is a rather easy one, but how many other Tekken endings could've been canon? This includes the TTT games.

-This one is from me personally, but I wonder if Jin's Australian master will ever make a role. Most likely he won't, however, he/she being the one who taught Jin the ways of Karate, is surely aware of the fact that Jin started World War III. Is he not gonna feel any guilt or remorse for training the young man responsible? Again, most likely not, but I think it'd be interesting.

thinking...

-What is the full extent of Xiao's role in this series? At best, her crush/love for Jin has been nothing more than a running gag and the character herself has just been some ass-kicking happy go lucky chick. Not that I want the essence of her character changed, but should her role not be taken more seriously? I don't even know if Jin's devil gene is publicly known, so is Xiao yet to discover this side to Jin?

which reminds me,

this whole thing with Akuma is very confusing. First of all from just a gameplay standpoint, from everything I see from his very own design to fighting style, he doesn't seem like a Tekken character, he seems like a Street Fighter character fighting in a Street Fighter game, except not, since he's in a Tekken game. If this is a prelude to TxSF, shouldn't it have been that way? After all, all of the Tekken characters in SFxT did have the SF art style, and fighting. Bringing me to my next two questions.

-With all this considered, is it reasonable to believe that maybe Akuma is part of a "what if" side story scenario instead of being part of the canon story? I certainly can't be the only who finds it weird to add him to being an integral, vital part to the story.

-If I am wrong though, and he is in fact canon and has been the entire time, does that mean SFxT was canon as well? It would makes things really convoluted if it weren't, in fact, this would also have to mean that Namco X Capcom is canon as well because that was the first time all these characters crossed paths.

Oh wow. I would love Jins aussie master to appear. Great idea!
yep, I've been wanting to see that since before tekken 5 came out, so needless to say I doubt it would happen, but I would love to be proven wrong.

it's true that devs do check out GAF from time to time, right? it'd be awesome if harada picked up a thing or two from here :D

-This one is from me personally, but I wonder if Jin's Australian master will ever make a role. Most likely he won't, however, he/she being the one who taught Jin the ways of Karate, is surely aware of the fact that Jin started World War III. Is he not gonna feel any guilt or remorse for training the young man responsible? Again, most likely not, but I think it'd be interesting.

This is another fine example of the series introducing interesting information and then never following up on that information. This is a very good idea. I would love to see some character conflicts here. It would further humanize Jin. You might also get another interesting playable character in the process.

-What is the full extent of Xiao's role in this series? At best, her crush/love for Jin has been nothing more than a running gag and the character herself has just been some ass-kicking happy go lucky chick. Not that I want the essence of her character changed, but should her role not be taken more seriously? I don't even know if Jin's devil gene is publicly known, so is Xiao yet to discover this side to Jin?

Another great post. The series could move forward with these two characters as a couple. It would be neat if both of them went out on a date like normal young people. Yet another point where the devs just don't like change all that much. They prefer for these characters to not develop. They exist for Namco soley as fighting avatars more or less. It's a damn shame. These characters are older than some of the fans who love them. I'd let the characters grow and age with the fans. You can always make another Lucky Chloe/Lili/Asuka...

this whole thing with Akuma is very confusing. First of all from just a gameplay standpoint, from everything I see from his very own design to fighting style, he doesn't seem like a Tekken character, he seems like a Street Fighter character fighting in a Street Fighter game, except not, since he's in a Tekken game. If this is a prelude to TxSF, shouldn't it have been that way? After all, all of the Tekken characters in SFxT did have the SF art style, and fighting. Bringing me to my next two questions.

-With all this considered, is it reasonable to believe that maybe Akuma is part of a "what if" side story scenario instead of being part of the canon story? I certainly can't be the only who finds it weird to add him to being an integral, vital part to the story.

-If I am wrong though, and he is in fact canon and has been the entire time, does that mean SFxT was canon as well? It would makes things really convoluted if it weren't, in fact, this would also have to mean that Namco X Capcom is canon as well because that was the first time all these characters crossed paths.

I don't have a problem with Akuma in the series. There are a thousand ways you can introduce a mythical character like Akuma and have it work within the Tekken canon. Akuma has transcended humanity at this point, he clearly could become a interdimensional being/spirit demon. Akuma has become all that a character like Feng Wei desires.

akuma_in_tekken_7__fated_retribution_by_vinmoawalt-d9jv83d.jpg

Xiaoyu in 4 is as close as we are going to get to a mature Xiaoyu.

She was looking for Jin not out of love/crush but was genuinely curious on what happened to him. It felt more ambiguous than flat out blatant post 4.

Playsage

Xiaoyu in 4 is as close as we are going to get to a mature Xiaoyu.

She was looking for Jin not out of love/crush but was genuinely curious on what happened to him. It felt more ambiguous than flat out blatant post 4.

I hope they redeem her role in the series by making her the head of the Mishima Zaibatsu once Tekken 7 ends with Heihachi and Kazuya being dead, Lee and Lars refusing their heritage (one already has his own corporation and the other having no more motivations for sticking around), Jin exiling himself from society/running from UN army and other parties (see Dragunov) due to war crimes and being the last Devil Gene bearer.

No hook up with Jin please. Just let her build those gooddamn theme parks

This is another fine example of the series introducing interesting information and then never following up on that information. This is a very good idea. I would love to see some character conflicts here. It would further humanize Jin. You might also get another interesting playable character in the process.
I agree, but...what exactly are the chances that this will actually end up in the game? I'm surprised someone hasn't tried to argue that maybe Jin just taught himself Karate instead of even having a master - but he's ALWAYS had once. His mom taught him Kazama karate, his grandfather taught him advanced Mishima karate, so why wouldn't he have an Australian master for traditional Karate?

It's true that sometimes devs read GAF right? So for any of these ideas to reach fruition it'd have to be tweeted to Harada or something yeah?

Another great post. The series could move forward with these two characters as a couple. It would be neat if both of them went out on a date like normal young people. Yet another point where the devs just don't like change all that much. They prefer for these characters to not develop. They exist for Namco soley as fighting avatars more or less. It's a damn shame. These characters are older than some of the fans who love them. I'd let the characters grow and age with the fans. You can always make another Lucky Chloe/Lili/Asuka...
Indeed. As a kid playing Tekken what I've always wanted is for these characters to hook up and I'm quite annoyed that even 3 installments later we got nothing. Hey, maybe we're wrong we actually will see some romance brewing between the two of them in this game.

I don't have a problem with Akuma in the series. There are a thousand ways you can introduce a mythical character like Akuma and have it work within the Tekken canon. Akuma has transcended humanity at this point, he clearly could become a interdimensional being/spirit demon. Akuma has become all that a character like Feng Wei desires.

akuma_in_tekken_7__fated_retribution_by_vinmoawalt-d9jv83d.jpg
I don't necessarily have a problem with it, but it should make sense and right now from both a gameplay and story aspect it really doesn't to me. From what I can tell, Akuma plays like a Street Fighter character ripped straight from it into a Tekken game, instead of playing properly in the Tekken universe like the Tekken characters did in SFxT. That makes me think, is that what TxSF is going to be like? I'm not sure if I like that but to each their own.

And I honestly thought the Tekken story was interesting enough that it wouldn't have to have any canon crossovers to be invigorating. Which again - does this also make SFxT canon?

I honestly thought the Tekken story was interesting enough that it wouldn't have to have any canon crossovers to be invigorating. Which again - does this also make SFxT canon?

I agree with you the game doesn't need it, but an Akuma is crossover I can live with. I think we need to throw more worthwhile ideas out there. I'm positive these threads don't go unnoticed. SFxT doesn't merit serious canon consideration in my opinion the premise and story was just too corny.

Harada's twitter feed a few days ago:

Katsuhiro Harada ‎@Harada_TEKKEN
She will marry.
RT @Ally_TekkenFan Hey Mr. Harada Xiaoyu is my favorite Tekken player. Any news on her?
5:44 AM - 7 Apr 2016

New fan art posted just a few days ago by Deviant Art user esc5806x
wedding_day___special_design__by_esc5806x-d9y1v0r.jpg

I agree with you the game doesn't need it, but an Akuma is crossover I can live with. I think we need to throw more worthwhile ideas out there. I'm positive these threads don't go unnoticed. SFxT doesn't merit serious canon consideration in my opinion the premise and story was just too corny.
I see. I checked out a little bit of the Jin x Xiao storyline of SFxT but other than that I don't know much about it...was Akuma even in that game? Coz anyways, I'm not trying to say whether or not making SFxT canon should be a good idea based on the story itself, but whether or not it makes sense based on the fact that a main SF character is now not just a guest character in Tekken 7 but a vital part to the story.

Harada's twitter feed a few days ago:

New fan art posted just a few days ago by Deviant Art user esc5806x
wedding_day___special_design__by_esc5806x-d9y1v0r.jpg
oh, YES! goddamn that is good news. I wonder what this means for Asuka though.

Ah but the important thing is the JinXiao ship is finally setting sail! (by the sounds of it anyways)

off topic, here's a cool mix I found on youtube last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-zpvJWg3Q4

Won't happen because he's an actual person in real life, I forgot which Kyukoshin Master, but there was one who was world renowned right around T4's time.
well, even if that's true...I don't see why they can't bring in a character that's based on the guy. As I explained, he could prove to be a key point in Jin's character arc. Isn't Law based on Bruce Lee and Paul based on Chuck Norris?

What do you think? Will there be a segment of the story mode with Kazuya as a kid?

17_kazuyabanner.jpg

Most likely we will get a chance to play as Kid Kazuya. There is still hope we will get some development on those abandoned side story arcs. Nina and Steve should get a good story segment and I'd like to see Law and Paul get a serious segment with something valuable at stake with some decent character development. I'll echo what I've already said in that I just wish Namco would write more evenly in the series. Hopefully after the Mishimas bite the dust we can showcase/headline the rest of the cast a bit more.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I see. I checked out a little bit of the Jin x Xiao storyline of SFxT but other than that I don't know much about it...was Akuma even in that game? Coz anyways, I'm not trying to say whether or not making SFxT canon should be a good idea based on the story itself, but whether or not it makes sense based on the fact that a main SF character is now not just a guest character in Tekken 7 but a vital part to the story.

oh, YES! goddamn that is good news. I wonder what this means for Asuka though.

Ah but the important thing is the JinXiao ship is finally setting sail! (by the sounds of it anyways)

Asuka x Lili is happening. Believe!

Tekken 7 FR is still missing some very popular characters from the roster, I hope the missing characters at least show up in the story mode at some points.

Dereck

Tekken 7 FR is still missing some very popular characters from the roster, I hope the missing characters at least show up in the story mode at some points.
I am much more into the idea of putting "missing" characters into the story mode, Mortal Kombat X style. Not playable, but just to let us know that they exist.

I am much more into the idea of putting "missing" characters into the story mode, Mortal Kombat X style. Not playable, but just to let us know that they exist.

I like the way Capcom put most of Bison's Dolls in the story mode even though I'm sure most of them won't be playable in the online game. Namco has so many characters they could use to flesh out the story mode. I'd like to see them utilize Eliza too.

Capcom did a decent job with SFV story mode, there's room for improvement but a entertaining little story none the less.

I'd like to see an Eliza cameo fight.

Eliza-Tekken-Revolution.jpg

17_kazuyabanner.jpg

Most likely we will get a chance to play as Kid Kazuya. There is still hope we will get some development on those abandoned side story arcs. Nina and Steve should get a good story segment and I'd like to see Law and Paul get a serious segment with something valuable at stake with some decent character development. I'll echo what I've already said in that I just wish Namco would write more evenly in the series. Hopefully after the Mishimas bite the dust we can showcase/headline the rest of the cast a bit more.
I want to see Kazuya meet Jin again. They should talk in a circle before they fight this time.

Are the comics canon?
Asuka x Lili is happening. Believe!
Yeah well we should get some Jin in between em
before he eventually hooks up with Xiao.

cordy

Banned
Since Heihachi's likely dying this game I hope he has one final talk with Jin. Obviously he'll get his talk out with his son but Jin needs to speak to him.

Also I want Jin and Kazuya to chat it up.

cordy

Banned
lol

And how would that go?

Jun HAS to make an appearance in this game tho. Even if it's in spirit form or something.

It wouldn't go well that's for sure lol. Since this is a transition for the game, likely one of the biggest in the series, then they gotta do something. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up saying "I hate you but with the old man out of the way it's just us now" and they do some cliche "lemme smile at you now and leave but when we meet it's on again" thing lol.

Yeah Jun's gotta appear somehow. Just something.

Rajang

If the Devil Gene is banished in this game then Kazuya has no reason to be evil anymore.

Also isn't Claudio's organisation all about excorism?

there's something else that deserves some consideration in my opinion - in Tekken 4, when Jin transformed into the Devil, he was still conscious within his own mind; also his third eye didn't appear, just the tattoos and the wings when he decided to spare Heihachi.

I wonder if that has any bearing on his struggle with the Devil Gene, as in every iteration going forward since Tekken 5 it seems when he transforms into the Devil form his conscious gone and it is only the Devil talking.

Playsage

there's something else that deserves some consideration in my opinion - in Tekken 4, when Jin transformed into the Devil, he was still conscious within his own mind; also his third eye didn't appear, just the tattoos and the wings when he decided to spare Heihachi.

I wonder if that has any bearing on his struggle with the Devil Gene, as in every iteration going forward since Tekken 5 it seems when he transforms into the Devil form his conscious gone and it is only the Devil talking.
Jin doesn't actually turn into his devil persona until he has left the building. During the Honmaru clash, he's "just" in a state of rage, even if not far from losing control. Devil Jin, canon-wise, has appeared briefly like 3 times:
- The near death experience at the end of KOIFT 3
- Jin losing it in the wild after the Honmaru battle
- The plot-holish retaliation against Hwoarang at KOIFT 5

Then in Tekken 6, he declares to be in total control of it, and most likely so, seeing how he "rationalize" his actions during WW3.

The risk coming from being overcome by the Devil Gene became less and less solid as we went forward with the story.

Then, don't read too much into that moment, it won't matter much in the future, as it didn't matter much in the following installments.

What I have seen of the story mode thus far looks great, above my expectations. I'm really excited about the inclusion of legacy costumes as well. Happy Eliza is making it in. My only hope is that Tekken team decides to include support characters in the story mode to flesh it out. We need to make it feel like these characters aren't in their own little vacuum. I hope we get more info soon. Let's go Rocket Punch!!!

bump - there's been a lot of little tidbits released about Tekken 7's story in the past few weeks, I really think the story mode will deliver and the game is only a week away now

Yellowmotion's video hinted at more nostalgic battles (like the Jack-4 honmaru fight) so I wonder...
if we'll see Jun again, and how she first met Kazuya?

Is the anime worth watching? I loved me some Tekken back in the day, fell off after Tag but I have to admit I did quite enjoy the story in the early games.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Is the anime worth watching? I loved me some Tekken back in the day, fell off after Tag but I have to admit I did quite enjoy the story in the early games.

It wasn't all that great, strayed from the core plot in various ways and was rather predictable. It touches on the early Mishima storyline(Heihachi/Kazuya rivalry) but paints Kazuya as the idealized hero IIRC. Features the early cast and plenty of fights, also a scene of Jun or Anna(?) in the shower IIRC. Tries to do a sort of Hunger Games/Battle Royale thing as well on some dinosaur island with the survivor taking on Heihachi as being the crux of the story.

Two Words

I liked the Tekken anime movie's explanation for why Kazuya has the devil gene. In that movie, the devil offers him a deal while he is dying at the bottom of the mountain as a child. He accepts the devil's offer to get revenge and it saves his life.

Top Bottom