• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

AAK

What's crazy is that Tekken 5 was even cheaper to make than Tekken 6! And then you slash that budget by 75%. TTT2's performance must have been insanely bad.

And with this budget there are so many other things I was secretly hoping for them to add but there's no way in hell that's happening anymore.

Virtua fighter 6 might be the last bastion to see cutting edge technology for 3D fighting games...

Harada hates you AAK.

.... just like everybody else in my life.... *goes back to listening to Linkin Park*

:p I've been expecting this though... Harada knows I'm a minority haha. Look forward to getting my ass kicked in T7... I be lost without tag!

What's crazy is that Tekken 5 was even cheaper to make than Tekken 6! And then you slash that budget by 75%. TTT2's performance must have been insanely bad.

And with this budget there are so many other things I was secretly hoping for them to add but there's no way in hell that's happening anymore.

Virtua fighter 6 might be the last bastion to see during edge technology for 3D fighting games...

.... just like everybody else in my life.... *goes back to listening to Linkin Park*

:p I've been expecting this though... Harada knows I'm a minority haha. Look forward to getting my ass kicked in T7... I be lost without tag!
I wouldn't count on VF6 at all at this point.

AAK

#BelieveinOichi ;)

But seriously, after the VF 20th anniversary event and the developer comments on the 20th anniversary official website about them hyping a potential next installment in the series is proof enough for me that VF6 will be made.

As for the budget... it's basically reasons out of my ass. VF has about half the characters Tekken has so the budget won't be spread across so many characters. Besides, let's look at what Sega AM2 has coming out:

World of Three Kingdoms
Wonderful Worlds
Another Intial D expansion

Neither of those games look like something that'll set the world on fire. There has to be some product AM2 is working on where Sega is pumping money into...
unless all that money is going to making Yakuza game after Yakuza game after Yakuza game

AAK

Also, if you guys remember watching the "Tekken Takes Tokyo" documentary he shows the project demographics on the Tekken floorspace. You can see that pretty much all the major fighting games Namco make take place on this floor. I suppose after TTT2 they split the floor into T7, Rise of Incarnates, SC:LS, Pokken, and I guess Summer Lesson. And with that floor space the budget Tekken + Soul Calibur received now got split between all those projects.

I'd be OK with Sega being a Yakuza studio if they actually localized them. :(

It's not like they didn't try though... they attempted to reach the western market with 4 titles. I guess if they can't profit after all those tries then I don't fault them for giving up.

GrayFoxPL

Take it as you will but imo the best chance for VF6 to ever get made is Team Ninja and Tecmo.
They didn't fail at any point in bringing the characters to DOA and from graphical standpoint they never looked better.

Sega could provide few people from AM2 - VF designer, fight tech coordinator, maybe director etc. Tecmo TN could basically make the rest of the game since they have budget, technology and already experience with VF characters.

I'm sorry, but Sega alone just doesn't give a shit. Not only them, Namco, Capcom, SNKP they probably want to continue their franchises but they would very much like for it to cost nothing. They don't want to pay for something aimed mostly at hardcore players. Mortal Kombat X will probably be the biggest budget fg in decades and it shows.

Edit:

Btw what do you guys think if Tekken earned money DOA way by route of overpriced costumes?
Just I don't know if this would work, seems like Doa fans buy every costume that gets made, not sure if Tekken fans would give a shit.

But if it means more money for Tekken then I'm for. 20$ for Hwoarang's T4 costume. 30$ for Paul's T4 hair. Just do it.

It's not like they didn't try though... they attempted to reach the western market with 4 titles. I guess if they can't profit after all those tries then I don't fault them for giving up.

I'm just mad they wasted an effort on that Dead Souls game nobody asked for instead of Y5. US Yakuza deserved to go out on a game better than that.

GrayFoxPL

I'm just mad they wasted an effort on that Dead Souls game nobody asked for instead of Y5. US Yakuza deserved to go out on a game better than that.

This is very true but you can see why they did it. It's a zombie shooter(extremely shitty at that). It was easy shit to push to bosses by Sega's PR dudes.

Sayah

WTF at some of those points made by Harada.

Also, 1/4 of Tekken 5 budget? I'm pretty sure he said Tekken 6 was the most expensive Tekken. Please just leave customizations out if its such a big budget expense. I don't even care for them that much. Plus, if its releasing on PC, there will be enough people Modding anyway making customization pointless.

A lot of people don't realize how much of a crutch this is. More so than rage will ever be.

Harada saying he's wary because be knows the hardest of the core think TTT2 is the best and that's probably not who they're aiming for.

I'm for monetization in basically any way that keeps fighters (particularly 3D ones) going. Tekken is hurting, VF is a corpse, and SC is a hollow shell of itself. If you told me ten years ago that DOA would be the 3D franchise in the best shape a decade later I would have called you a nutjob.

I really want an all new 3D IP but if the old ones continue to struggle that seems highly unlikely.

Is DOA5 really doing that well? I don't hear too much about it.

Idk why Harada was so against dlc as a whole. I understand characters and stages but costumes? Put them in and rake in the $.

Idk why Harada was so against dlc as a whole. I understand characters and stages but costumes? Put them in and rake in the $.

Yes, it sold enough to the point they made two more versions. One of which is the last version and then on to DOA6.

DOA5 Vanilla was under time constraints but they managed and sold more than expected.

Take it as you will but imo the best chance for VF6 to ever get made is Team Ninja and Tecmo.
They didn't fail at any point in bringing the characters to DOA and from graphical standpoint they never looked better.

Sega could provide few people from AM2 - VF designer, fight tech coordinator, maybe director etc. Tecmo TN could basically make the rest of the game since they have budget, technology and already experience with VF characters.

I'm sorry, but Sega alone just doesn't give a shit. Not only them, Namco, Capcom, SNKP they probably want to continue their franchises but they would very much like for it to cost nothing. They don't want to pay for something aimed mostly at hardcore players. Mortal Kombat X will probably be the biggest budget fg in decades and it shows.

Edit:

Btw what do you guys think if Tekken earned money DOA way by route of overpriced costumes?
Just I don't know if this would work, seems like Doa fans buy every costume that gets made, not sure if Tekken fans would give a shit.

But if it means more money for Tekken then I'm for. 20$ for Hwoarang's T4 costume. 30$ for Paul's T4 hair. Just do it.

Unfortunately, all Sega cares about is Sonic these days and they won't even give other franchises a chance, so yeah just like Streets of Rage 4 and Shenmue 3, I give up on my favorite franchises including Virtua Fighter ever materializing again. I wouldn't mind if Tecmo created VF6 since I love DOA, but imo the chances are very slim since they probably have their hands full with DOA and Ninja Gaiden and you know who long it takes company to create video games now, especially fighters.

Honestly, I would prefer deep customization so I can basically create whatever I want just like they did in Tekken 6 and even TTT2. I think companies would definitely take advantage of the Tekken fan base and charge exorbitant prices for costumes because they can. Sure, they can bring some DLC/costumes to Tekken 7 later, but I just know they would skimp on the customization because of paid DLC.

pollysee

Neo Member
There's a correction on ATP about the budget, the note before was backwards. It's been updated to:

Making more costumes and items really increases the production costs. During Tekken 5 the production costs was 1/4 of what it is now.

So the note is that T7 costs four times as much to produce as T5 did.

Good to know it's just a realization that games are becoming stupid expensive these days. I would definitely pop a $100 for Tekken Revolution premium coins if the Tekken Team started hurting. I don't want 3d fighters to die and be forced to join the 2d FGC. I would have to take a Chess set with me to every tournament to avoid brain cell death at tournaments.

Anyways, I still want to spam Harada twitter to give us an early look at Tekken 7 console through the Revolution model when it releases in Asia arcades. It would not bother me at all to pay to play at home. I am sure I am the minority that feels that way, though. If their were more like me, arcades would have never died in the first place.

sasuke_91

There's a correction on ATP about the budget, the note before was backwards. It's been updated to:

So the note is that T7 costs four times as much to produce as T5 did.
What a relief. My expectations were so so low at this point, but I'm glad I can be hyped again :p

Dereck

Haha embarrasing.

Sorry for shitting on you Bamco.

/facepalm
vpbh9xV.png

Ah, so instead of having 1/4 of Tekken 5's budget, it has 4X Tekken 5's budget. That's a lot more encouraging. :p

DOA5 sold worse than Tag 2.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/30/dead-or-alive-5-ships-580-000-copies-worldwide-in-first-month/

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/02/namco-bandai-profits-grow-tekken-tag-tournament-2-sales-strong/

I don't know if DLC bikini sales are enough to outweigh Tekken's arcade profits.

Pachimari

Finally hooked up Tekken Tag 2 in my new apartment. I have decided to put Marshall on the sideline and go with Lars for now.

What are some good launchers and juggles I can practice?

AAK

^^^
Outdoors right now but you can search YouTube for hurtboxtv's ttt2 combo tutorials. He does a pretty good job showing them to beginners.

Cool, good stuff to bout for getting the steam to work :)

GrayFoxPL

Finally hooked up Tekken Tag 2 in my new apartment. I have decided to put Marshall on the sideline and go with Lars for now.

What are some good launchers and juggles I can practice?

Practice fb+2,1 to not drop it like I do with my loose pad, haha.

Juggles depend on a team and Lars has tons of combo variations, basically he can do whatever he wants.

Launchers?

uf+3 probably the most hated move online, haha.
Usual combos after: full crouch 2, ws+2 F,df+1 bound. Or full crouch 2 db+2 F df+1 bound. Or just ws+2,1. After bound usually something like ff+2 F+1, or b+3,4 or b+3 F+1. In tag combos his best finisher is his air throw fff+2+4 or deadly entry (f+3) 2+3

uf+4
This allows for pretty flashy combo: f+1,2,3 D 1 F df+1 bound.
Otherwise anything goes like 2,1 fb+2,1 or df+1, f+2,1 F df+1 etc.

f+1+2
df+2, db+2 F df+1
db+2,1 f+2,1 F df+1
db+2,1 fb+2,1

ch df+2 and above combos
f+1,2,3 D 1 F df+1 works too, one hit will whiff but it doesn't matter.

ws+1
Game wants you to push F to go into Silent Entry and push 3 to start juggle but most people don't bother with this because if opponent is too close to wall Lars will whiff his combo.
Instead use jabs like 1,1 or 2, 2 then fb+2,1 this is why getting good at fb+2,1 execution is so important.

ff+2
Same properties as above.
Ff+2, F 1 tag filler is used in sandwich Tag combos. After ff+2 Lars dashes behind opponent and hit's him back into player's first character. This is actually very easy to drop. I don't recommend it as online combo.

ch db+4
ws+2,1

ch ff+1+2
f+3,1 F df+1
Very cool looking launcher.

f,b+2,1 instant bound

After this I think Lars can do df+1,f+4,1,2 db+2 F 1.

Memorizing Silent Entry and Deadly Entry can be important.
DEN attacks are safe on block with DEN 1,2 being duckable on second.
SEN attacks are unsafe on block.
Try to never go into stances after blocked attacks. Sharp opponent will launch punish you.

Things like special transitions.

3 D and db+1,3 D make lars spin into full crouch.
From there you do ws+2 and push D it makes Lars spin backwards into DEN stance for safety. Sometimes you can bait rare DEN 2 ch if opponent gets greedy.
ws+2 then F will make Lars dash forward into SEN stance. Useful for oki if opponent doesn't want to get up then SEN 2 hits him.

From full crouch df+1+2, down jabs, ws moves and uf+3 are his general mixup tools.

Pachimari

Oh it's because I wanna get down with the basics first. I have never been able to juggle for one. :/

GrayFox I appreciate that wall of information! But what does terms like ws+2 F mean?

When a letter is capital it means hold down?

av2k

Oh it's because I wanna get down with the basics first. I have never been able to juggle for one. :/

GrayFox I appreciate that wall of information! But what does terms like ws+2 F mean?

Yes, that's correct. F means holding forward. ws+2 means while standing so when you let go of your joystick or pad from crouch position, you press a button to do a ws move. :)

GrayFoxPL

No problem.

Yeah it's hold. In Lars's case he goes into his stance doing that.

ws means "while standing up from crouch" Hold down, let go, push a button. Tekken is big on ws moves. There are moves that put you in crouch so if you push a button after them you'll do ws move because character is automatically standing up.

Eg. Lars db+4 is a crouching sweep, if you push 2,1 after that then he'll do ws+2,1

1 - left punch
2 - right punch
3 - left kick
4 - right kick

Edit:

I'll just add full crouch is holding down and fc df+1+2 is holding down and sliding pad or stick into df position. If character is standing df+1+2 will do different move.

ch - counter hit

df+2 by itself won't start combo unless it's ch

DEATH™

Guys, sorry for an off topic post but...

Who's interested in having a 2 day crunchyroll pass? I had another one coming and anime gaf didn't take my previous one. Gave it to a fellow tekken player instead and he got hooked on anime lol. When you get it be sure to spend your weekend marathoning shows lol. I can recommend some series that you can watch...

(Also elza, you post there alot... give me anime recommendations lol)

Sayah

DEATH™;133702886 said:
Guys, sorry for an off topic post but...

Who's interested in having a 2 day crunchyroll pass? I had another one coming and anime gaf didn't take my previous one. Gave it to a fellow tekken player instead and he got hooked on anime lol. When you get it be sure to spend your weekend marathoning shows lol. I can recommend some series that you can watch...

(Also elza, you post there alot... give me anime recommendations lol)

I wish I could binge on anime. I would take that pass if I wasn't already busy. I know I won't get a chance to watch much of anything.

As far as anime recommendations, I highly suggest these from what I've watched:

Action/Adventure/Comedy:
Fullmetal Alchemist
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (first 10 or so episodes are a recap of the original so bear through it)
Soul Eater (Bear through the first few episodes for this one. They're just introducing the characters)
Trigun

Suspense/Thriller:
Death Note
Monster

Steins;Gate (Anime takes some time before it picks up so bear with it)

Mature-themed/Violent Action:
Black Lagoon
Claymore
Now and Then, Here and There

Samurai/Shonen:
Samurai 7

If you like my recommendations, I can probably suggest a few more. If you don't, then we just have different tastes. :p
Also, I highly prefer English dubbing for all of these anime. I can't stand reading subtitles.

DEATH™

Yeah, where's Kenshin yo? Even Ippo isn't on the list...

But yeah... I got most of them watched already sayah lol. (I approve of your taste yo. Trigun FTW). But right now, as much as I love my action themed anime, I'm currently in hooked with slice of life stuff. Maybe I am getting older lol.

Seriously Sayah, try them out... most of them are short series' anyway so you can finish them by like 3 hours. This is my first recommendation. Promise, you will get your butt kicked because of feels...

Watch it, then I'll give you some more recommendations if you liked it... Be sure to finish it though lol...

(This is not only exclusive to sayah but also to tekken gaf as well. If you finish this series I'll write a long post about my experience at strongstyle and other exclusive pics lol)...

DEATH™;133710746 said:

But yeah... I got most of them watched already sayah lol. (I approve of your taste yo. Trigun FTW). But right now, as much as I love my action themed anime, I'm currently in hooked with slice of life stuff. Maybe I am getting older lol.

Seriously Sayah, try them out... most of them are short series' anyway so you can finish them by like 3 hours. This is my first recommendation. Promise, you will get your butt kicked because of feels...

Watch it, then I'll give you some more recommendations if you liked it... Be sure to finish it though lol...

(This is not only exclusive to sayah but also to tekken gaf as well. If you finish this series I'll write a long post about my experience at strongstyle and other exclusive pics lol)...

Seen it before, so you can start writing now. :)

DEATH™

Seen it before, so you can start writing now. :)

Boo... It should take a couple days of sobbing buying me time after my writing test... darn u making me hurry lol...

Ill make a writeup in the weekend... Its gonna be pretty long since I made a couple of realizations for myself, my group, the competitive scene, the players, and many others.

sasuke_91

@Madridista: Were you the one who added me? I wrote a message, but didn't get a response. I'll just assume it was you^^

DEATH™;133710746 said:

Ano Hana is one of my favourite Anime. I can give some recommendations for Slice of Life later if you want. I'm on my phone right now, so typing long texts is too hard :p

Pachimari

@Madridista: Were you the one who added me? I wrote a message, but didn't get a response. I'll just assume it was you^^

Ano Hana is one of my favourite Anime. I can give some recommendations for Slice of Life later if you want. I'm on my phone right now, so typing long texts is too hard :p
Nope. I haven't added you. I don't have internet at my place yet.

Btw what is a tailspin?

GrayFoxPL

Tailspin is the new bound in T7. We called it airbound or flop at first.
I see tailspin term and I imagine WW2 airplanes and Disnay cartoon with Baloo bear.

On anime front you guys need to watch "Devil/Satan is a part-timer!"
Hilarious stuff.

Top Bottom