• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Dereck

yEkq2v8.gif

Sayah

^^^^^

Wow.

Yes, AAK, TTT2 so good. Gonna miss its presence in the FG scene once T7 releases. Also one of the many examples why TTT2 is the best Tekken. Even a simple addition like tag crash adds so much depth and complexity. Also, why 3D fighting games are loved by me. The way you can maneuver your character around 3D space to make even generally safe options punishable is amazing. I love it. Sidestepping and punishing or even getting behind opponents for big damage is one of the best feelings ever.

GrayFoxPL

Yo Tag2 is not going anyywhere.

What if T7 will have softcore community while hardcore will stay with Tag2?

I can't wait for T7 but we know how solid and ballanced Tag2 is. T7 is unknown. Supers could be something that will draw in new blood, but at the same time make old Tekken dogs stay away and keep playing Tag 2.

Sayah

Yo Tag2 is not going anyywhere.

What if T7 will have softcore community while hardcore will stay with Tag2?

I can't wait for T7 but we know how solid and ballanced Tag2 is. T7 is unknown. Supers could be something that will draw in new blood, but at the same time make old Tekken dogs stay away and keep playing Tag 2.
Generally, Tekken games cannibalize one another. I wasn't following the competitive scene then but did the Tekken 4 unbalance become a factor in keeping TTT1 alive until Tekken 5s release?

I think people just want to play the new stuff.
With the release of Tekken 7, I doubt most tournaments are going to even feature TTT2. I wish they would but they likely won't.

GrayFoxPL

Good games Sasuke.
Sorry for weak play, today my hands didn't do what I told them. Even my Paul played like he partied all night and had serious hangover, lol.

Also note to myself: stop snakeedging. Just stop. Really, stop.

You had crazy electrics today, haha. So fast. Jin got a lot of damage off of them.

But today let me realize how much I'm gonna miss Baek if he's really dead.

Don't kill my Tekken 2 character, Tekken 7.

Gotta play him more while there's still time.

Technically his T6 ending shouldn't be canon. Any ending where character kills main boss is not canon unless it's Mishima. Baek definitely didn't kill Azazel like his ending shows. Probably what happens in scenario mode is canon.

Still, they could write that Baek fought Azazel and just died trying to protect Hwo.

That would suck.

Now excuse me, while I'm gonna watch some Korean movies and shamelessly beg Harada on twitter to not kill off Baek.

When T4 came out, it had an interesting effect. T4 became the primary focus of the tournament scene, but TTT2 was still the popular go-to choice at gatherings and side tourneys.

Many "vets" at the time didn't like T4, but tolerated it only because it was something new. It was seen as a novelty, and wasn't taken too seriously as I recall. People got bored once it became a JFLS fest, with a few Steve and Pauls thrown in.

So, in a sense it really didn't split the community up that bad. Everyone I knew at least, played both, rather than focus on just one. Once T5 came along though, both previous games were history.

GrayFoxPL

No offence Grayfox but I can see Baek as being one of the first of the bunch to get eliminated. The most you can hope for is for some of his moves to transfer over to Hwo.

I think I lost DJ but Kaz has his B4, I just hope maybe Jin gets his b,f2>1>1 Laser series, Jins Evil Intent just aint the same.

Yeah, likely.

/cries

I see DJ in T7, he has very high popularity among hardcore Mishima players. Though he may be integrated into Jin like Devil into Kaz.

sasuke_91

Good games Sasuke.
Sorry for weak play, today my hands didn't do what I told them. Even my Paul played like he partied all night and had serious hangover, lol.

Guys, don't tell me you're playing weak or "super rusty" (yeah, I mean you Chrome_Wolf :p) after beating me^^
But good games. I've played you so often already that I'm able to enter your mind. "He's going for a hellsweep" and there you go, hellsweep. Not to say that you're predictable, because you're not, but I guess we think pretty alike^^

Also note to myself: stop snakeedging. Just stop. Really, stop.

You had crazy electrics today, haha. So fast. Jin got a lot of damage off of them.
Honestly, I was waiting for snake edge so much that I forgot my offense. I was afraid of getting a counterhit and turtled my way through the rounds. Lost many matches because of that.
Electrics came out really well today. My Xiaoyu is kind of rusty though. Went to ranking with her and lost my promotion to Fighter and 6 matches after that. I think demotion is not too far away and Tekken even wants me to become a Brawler again. 2 Avengers, 2 Warriors and Ninas all the way? The game hates me!

I wouldn't write him off too early, but you could be right. All the old guys gone, even Heihachi might get the younger version :p

GrayFoxPL

T3+T4 Jin fusion?! Hell yes! Broken as fu--- X'D

Tekken 7 Jin - SSS Pure Platinum Tier confirmed.

Guys, don't tell me you're playing weak or "super rusty" (yeah, I mean you Chrome_Wolf :p) after beating me^^
But good games. I've played you so often already that I'm able to enter your mind. "He's going for a hellsweep" and there you go, hellsweep. Not to say that you're predictable, because you're not, but I guess we think pretty alike^^

Honestly, I was waiting for snake edge so much that I forgot my offense. I was afraid of getting a counterhit and turtled my way through the rounds. Lost many matches because of that.
Electrics came out really well today. My Xiaoyu is kind of rusty though. Went to ranking with her and lost my promotion to Fighter and 6 matches after that. I think demotion is not too far away and Tekken even wants me to become a Brawler again. 2 Avengers, 2 Warriors and Ninas all the way? The game hates me!

I wouldn't write him off too early, but you could be right. All the old guys gone, even Heihachi might get the younger version :p

Nah I just wanted to save face. I couldn't even pull off demo man, those d+4's were not mixups, just my failed attempts, lol. Ff+2,1 also didn't come out half of the time.

Next time I'll get a grip and play better. I need to keep up with you so we both progress.

This telepathic low blocking really gets me, lol. I don't know how you know if I go mid or low. (Rhymes) You got the reads.

One thing, don't be hesitant to punish things with "just" jabs instead of going for big stuff.
You notice how much I punish with jabs and 1,2's. It's because I get frame advantage on my next move and I can get a ch or at least force you to guess my mixup.

But it's nothing....

You can get an insane millage of off this with Hwo. Frame data says from 1,2,3, 1,2,4, 2,4, 2,3 he gets +11 of normal hit and +12 on ch. This is insane! (Baek gets only +7 on 2,3) I don't think anyone gets more frame advantage out of 10 frame jabs. Now imagine that every close move that is even as little as -10 you can punish and be at +11 and in whatever flamingo stance you want, so basically every move you do next will counter hit them if they try to twitch. So they must block and guess the mixup. Do whatever soul desires. The possibilities.

Btw did you notice that situation where I was close to wall and you hit me with Leo's ws+1+2 then I'm pretty sure I teched but still got hit by f+2,2 and I was holding b.
Wonder if wall splat or launch is guaranteed if hit by ws+1+2 when back is against the wall.

I need old grumpy Heihachi. I need old Korean Baek too. I need old men.

Wait.

Just give Law Forest's b1,2,1 AKA DR Law's b1,2,1.

It's Forest's own invention from T3.

I love his basic wifebeater and purple pants outfit.

ibseSdbwi5LeqT.png

I still find it super awkward that Forest who meant to replace Marshall got replaced by his dad again just after Tekken 3. Kinda wut? Angry fans? No one was against when Julia replaced Michelle.

Btw Tag2 Forest is not the same T3 Forest, he just acts like a rude annoying punk.

Just remember... King is the only true grappler announced for T7. Pseudo grapplers like Nina & Anna and power move pseudo grapplers, Julia/Jack have yet to be shown. They can't have a 30+ cast with so few big characters. For that reason alone Marduk IMO still has a chance. Besides, the f+2,d+1,2 string works REALLY well with armor Kings f+2,1. It makes ducking that string incredibly risky. It's not an integral move of Marduk they gave king like b+4, d/b+2, d/f+1, vts, etc. Until I see those moves being assimilated to other characters I still believe in Marduk! But my main reason is still because of character variety.

As for Anna's situation... I want to see what Nina is like before nailing Anna's coffin...

what if it's Nina that's getting the Axe and Anna is replacing her?!]

M_night_shyamalan_twist.png

^^^^^

Wow.

Yes, AAK, TTT2 so good. Gonna miss its presence in the FG scene once T7 releases. Also one of the many examples why TTT2 is the best Tekken. Even a simple addition like tag crash adds so much depth and complexity. Also, why 3D fighting games are loved by me. The way you can maneuver your character around 3D space to make even generally safe options punishable is amazing. I love it. Sidestepping and punishing or even getting behind opponents for big damage is one of the best feelings ever.

Yeah, I'm going to be brutally honest. Pragmatically speaking, I doubt Tekken 7 or any other Tekken will ever dethrone TTT2. I think people will continue to play TTT2 for years to come, especially if Tekken 7 is going in the direction I think it is going. People still play Tekken 6 and even Tekken 5: DR to this day, so even if TTT2 si not represented in tournaments anymore I feel that it will still be around for quite some time. TTT2 will always be for the hardcore, dedicated Tekken fanbase and Tekken 7 will most likely appeal more to the casuals/mainstream players as well as some of the the hardcore who want to try something new. Seems like a lot of my hardcore, more high level Tekken friends are not as thrilled with the direction of Tekken compared to my casual Tekken friends. We'll see what happens.

Just remember... King is the only true grappler announced for T7. Pseudo grapplers like Nina & Anna and power move pseudo grapplers, Julia/Jack have yet to be shown. They can't have a 30+ cast with so few big characters. For that reason alone Marduk IMO still has a chance. Besides, the f+2,d+1,2 string works REALLY well with armor Kings f+2,1. It makes ducking that string incredibly risky. It's not an integral move of Marduk they gave king like b+4, d/b+2, d/f+1, vts, etc. Until I see those moves being assimilated to other characters I still believe in Marduk! But my main reason is still because of character variety.

As for Anna's situation... I want to see what Nina is like before nailing Anna's coffin...

what if it's Nina that's getting the Axe and Anna is replacing her?!]

That would be interesting and even shocking imo. As far as Nina and Anna goes, I see it this way. If Nina has a few or some moves from Anna, I think the answer to whether Anna is returning or not is blatantly obvious unfortunately unless Anna is getting reworked also. Since Nina is supposedly getting revamped or reworked, that could mean either they are implementing Anna's moves into her move set, they are giving her a slightly or even a significantly different fighting style or just attempting to make her easier to play for the casuals.

Dereck

Btw Tag2 Forest is not the same T3 Forest, he just acts like a rude annoying punk.
The worst thing about a fictional character having a bad personality, is a fictional character having a bad personality after lacking one completely at a previous time. We don't know anything about Forest's personality in T3/TTT besides maybe being a little competitive.

Have a seat Dad? C'mon son.

Marshall's voice actor leaves much to be desired, everyone knows this. Forest's voice actor makes him sound like a teenager, when he's supposed to be in his late 20s? C'mon son.

av2k

Hi guys, just checking in. :D

Been busy with Diablo 3, Borderlands: Pre-Sequel, and World of Warcraft. Anyone else here have side games that they like to play when they're not playing Tekken?

Been busy with Diablo 3, Borderlands: Pre-Sequel, and World of Warcraft. Anyone else here have side games that they like to play when they're not playing Tekken?

I might never be seen again when Civ: Beyond Earth drops. Also cracking out on Hearthstone.

Degen

TTT2 is definitely looking like the third strike of Tekken games and I don't mean that in a flattering way even though I like 3rd Strike.
"TTT2 was good but y'know technically it wasn't a REAL Tekken game. My favorite Tekken was (insert the Tekken equivalent of CvS2)"

or is that the wrong comparison

lol

"TTT2 was good but y'know technically it wasn't a REAL Tekken game. My favorite Tekken was (insert the Tekken equivalent of CvS2)

or is that the wrong comparison

lol

Kinda lol. It's gonna have a renaissance period like it's having now because the new game looks too casual friendly but once T7 grows into itself TTT2 will get shat on because the newest game has a more "return to the basics" kinda feel.

AAK

I realized the lack of new art direction isn't my actual biggest problem with T7. It's actually seeing so many of the recycled hit animations. I cringed so hard at this:

ibj9xEvKciJTE4.gif

That's just way too dated :( I'm kinda pessimistic if they'll update it or not. I bet we're still gonna see this in TxSF.

After watching TFC I've been playing a lot more Soul Calibur and DOA. A friend lent me Resident Evil 6 so I'm gonna start that soon. Trying to coordinate with another friend to play co op together so we won't have to deal with the AI. I also recently beat the first Dragon with a bunch friends. We though we finished the game until it said there are 2 more dragons to beat. We were kinda too scared to continue lol.

Yo that troll slimbob outfit makes me wanna fume!

sasuke_91

Nah I just wanted to save face. I couldn't even pull off demo man, those d+4's were not mixups, just my failed attempts, lol. Ff+2,1 also didn't come out half of the time.

Next time I'll get a grip and play better. I need to keep up with you so we both progress.

This telepathic low blocking really gets me, lol. I don't know how you know if I go mid or low. (Rhymes) You got the reads.

One thing, don't be hesitant to punish things with "just" jabs instead of going for big stuff.
You notice how much I punish with jabs and 1,2's. It's because I get frame advantage on my next move and I can get a ch or at least force you to guess my mixup.

But it's nothing....

You can get an insane millage of off this with Hwo. Frame data says from 1,2,3, 1,2,4, 2,4, 2,3 he gets +11 of normal hit and +12 on ch. This is insane! (Baek gets only +7 on 2,3) I don't think anyone gets more frame advantage out of 10 frame jabs. Now imagine that every close move that is even as little as -10 you can punish and be at +11 and in whatever flamingo stance you want, so basically every move you do next will counter hit them if they try to twitch. So they must block and guess the mixup. Do whatever soul desires. The possibilities.

Btw did you notice that situation where I was close to wall and you hit me with Leo's ws+1+2 then I'm pretty sure I teched but still got hit by f+2,2 and I was holding b.
Wonder if wall splat or launch is guaranteed if hit by ws+1+2 when back is against the wall.

Wow, didn't know about the insane frame advantage. It takes a few frames to go into flamingo stance, but he still gets more than enough plus frames at the end. His jabs out of flamingo stance also have more + frames than normal jabs (+5), so you can launch your opponent if he tries to do anything.
I have to try out the thing with Leo. Sounds interesting.

Lol. Read this the wrong way^^

I realized the lack of new art direction isn't my actual biggest problem with T7. It's actually seeing so many of the recycled hit animations. I cringed so hard at this:

ibj9xEvKciJTE4.gif

That's just way too dated :( I'm kinda pessimistic if they'll update it or not. I bet we're still gonna see this in TxSF.

So it looks like the same game lol. Its not really being pessimistic its just how the series has been throughout the years.

AAK

You don't see SF2 animations in the Alpha games or Alpha animations in 3rd strike. I guess I'm greedy with what I expected.

At the very least make it look different when a move lands or the type of knockdown stuns in the game. I also expected the juggle animations to look different this time.

You don't see SF2 animations in the Alpha games or Alpha animations in 3rd strike. I guess I'm greedy with what I expected.

At the very least make it look different when a move lands or the type of knockdown stuns in the game. I also expected the juggle animations to look different this time.

Yeeesssss you do.

E. Ryu's d.forward is exactly like his d.forward in 3rd Strike. That's just one example.

AAK

They look similar but I'm pretty sure they redrew the sprites to freshen up the look. If I'm wrong then I take it back. Regardless, it is what it is and I'll have to live with it. I just really wished T7 didn't recycle so much.

GrayFoxPL

They look similar but I'm pretty sure they redrew the sprites to freshen up the look. If I'm wrong then I take it back. Regardless, it is what it is and I'll have to live with it. I just really wished T7 didn't recycle so much.

That's what I said before about Asuka having Tekken 2 counter animation and that's why I think they won't cut out characters like Anna, A.King or Marduk. Right now characters have like 1-2 new moves rest is the same and they roll with it.

Like I said I expected deep re-imagination and re-animation of small roster of characters.
This is not the case.

Honestly though why did you expect so much? The series has never had a MASSIVE overhaul and no T4 does not count. Still had old ass animations and added very little. The series is iterative through and through.

I could see a overhaul if the game was not advertised as the final Mishima story though.

GrayFoxPL

T3 was a massive overhaul over T1, T2. T4 was little less but provided a base of modern moveset for characters that only got build from there.

Why are you so set on disagreeing with everybody here?

AAK

You're right, if I was only talking about animations then T4 didn't necessarily add that much... BUT T4's system and flow of the match was worlds apart from T3/TTT hence it felt like a very new game.

And yes you're right that Tekken is a very iterative game... and with each iteration Namco kept improving and improving upon what worked and came up with so many wild situations that gave so many moves utility where everything eclipsed with TTT2. Now that with T7 they're getting rid of things they developed after so many years I would have expected them to at least update the things they're retaining.

The exception like Grayfox says is definitely T3. Tekken 3 wasn't just an increment over T2... it substantially changed the fundamentals of Tekken and finally graduated it into the 3rd dimension. There were also a TON of brand new movelists we got to see in T3.

But alas at this point in my life of being a Tekken fan I'm staying for the gameplay. That still looks like a lot of fun but the kid in me who was first wowed by Tekken's presentation and aesthetics can't help but feel disappointed at the lack of wow factor so far.

GrayFoxPL

You're right, if I was only talking about animations then T4 didn't necessarily add that much... BUT T4's system and flow of the match was worlds apart from T3/TTT hence it felt like a very new game.

And yes you're right that Tekken is a very iterative game... and with each iteration Namco kept improving and improving upon what worked and came up with so many wild situations that gave so many moves utility where everything eclipsed with TTT2. Now that with T7 they're getting rid of things they developed after so many years I would have expected them to at least update the things they're retaining.

The exception like Grayfox says is definitely T3. Tekken 3 wasn't just an increment over T2... it substantially changed the fundamentals of Tekken and finally graduated it into the 3rd dimension. There were also a TON of brand new movelists we got to see in T3.

But alas at this point in my life of being a Tekken fan I'm staying for the gameplay. That still looks like a lot of fun but the kid in me who was first wowed by Tekken's presentation and aesthetics can't help but feel disappointed at the lack of wow factor so far.

Totally agree. I'll be flamed but the most that impressed me from loc test was slomo and Kaz's Tag 1 coat. Characters didn't show anything new. They took old bound move like Paul's b+1,2 and replaced it with tailspin bound move also b+1,2. Ok, but maybe like 4 more? Too much? 1 new move per character is enough?

So yeah, I expected a little more from eg. Kazuya then stolen b+4. That insane revelation was...Yeah..

irrDQDb1nK3jL.gif

I really hope they are actually working on adding more moves, stances etc. Because if characters gain even less moves than in jump from T5 to T6 or T6 - Tag2 then it's gonna look pretty weak.

But if they don't want to bother, then at least copy paste my Baek too. Don't even bother with new model. Tag2/T6 Baek looks fine
and has eyes that look human
. ;)

this is why TTT2 makes me so salty. when I lose to shit like this I wanna trash my apartment. still a fun game though.

Just give Law Forest's b1,2,1 AKA DR Law's b1,2,1.

that move is the reason why I mained Forest instead of Marshall in TTT2. That being said, that move is more of a Forest staple than a Marshall staple (it debuted in Tekken 3). on a similar note, can they please give Marshall Law his fucking moustache back?!?!?:
marshall-law-650.jpg

Screen01WATAAH.jpg

they got Marshall looking like Forest's brother in Tekken 6/Tag 2 smh:
hqdefault.jpg

Gotta play him more while there's still time.

Technically his T6 ending shouldn't be canon. Any ending where character kills main boss is not canon unless it's Mishima. Baek definitely didn't kill Azazel like his ending shows. Probably what happens in scenario mode is canon.

Still, they could write that Baek fought Azazel and just died trying to protect Hwo.

That would suck.

Now excuse me, while I'm gonna watch some Korean movies and shamelessly beg Harada on twitter to not kill off Baek.

dude was supposed to have died after Tekken 2. you got lucky when he magically reappeared in Tekken 5 with all of the other Tekken 2 characters that were supposed to be dead.

Top Bottom