• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas Governor Vows to 'Fight Back' for North Carolina Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wag

Wedge issues. Sheer deflection. Nobody really gives a shit about this stuff (except for extremists).

Why is where people shit such a battleground now? Seems like the right knows it is dying and just being petty as fuck now

It's the one battleground that social conservatism has left. Losing this fight is a huge blow to their idea that trans women are just perverts and/or predators. If they lose that fight, a lot of politicians that operate on a "fire and brimstone" model lose clout with a society that eventually gets over their "problems."

It's a fucking place where you piss and shit, why is this a fucking battleground in the US now?

Because conservatives lost their right to oppress people for their sexual orientation, now they want to make it easier to oppress people for their gender. They could use the same effort and time actually trying to make peoples lives better instead their laser focused on how they can make life worse for people they think are living it in the wrong way.

They don't have to. It's like this all over the country. It's public knowledge. We won't do anything about it.

tumblr_m1pdix1AU81qg6g9po1_1280.jpg

Let's not forget New Orleans + Baton Rouge:

map-2nd-congressional-districtjpg-e542b399a32b4bc4.jpg

Retro

They don't have to. It's like this all over the country. It's public knowledge. We won't do anything about it.

tumblr_m1pdix1AU81qg6g9po1_1280.jpg

For shits and giggles:
Florida 14th: Sweeps across Tampa Bay to lump the largely black / integrated sections of SW St. Petersberg in, allowing the 13th to stay almost entirely white and safely Republican. I believe the Florida SC ruled this had to be redrawn though, so that map may be old.

Illinois 4th: Two Hispanic communities connected by I-294, one Mexican, one Puerto Rican.

Illinois 7th: Predominantly African American (54.6%)

Maryland 2nd: 98.3% urban, 1.7% rural. Anne Arundel County is split up between four districts, of which the 2nd is merely one of them. The game here is to basically split up urban areas in weird ways so they stay safely urban and left-leaning, keeping the rural areas these districts snake around safe for Republicans.

Maryland 3rd: is also pretty gross, and another chunk of Anne Arundel. 98.4% urban, 1.3% rural. In fact, all of Maryland is pretty bad (it's usually the second or third worst state depending on which list you look at).

North Carolina 1st: Pretty sure this has been ordered changed too. It and North Carolina 12th were both drawn to concentrate African-American voters and dilute their overall influence.

Ohio 9th: The ol Mistake by the Lake; a 20 yard wide bridge and a beach (which floods, meaning there are times the district isn't even connected by land) are used to connect Cleveland to Toledo, 100+ miles apart, to deny two seats to Democrats.

Pennsylvania 7th: The PA 6th 7th are both a result of trying to carve chunks out of democrat-leaning Philadelphia and tie them to blue-collar areas around Reading and Harrisburg (without including the democrat-leaning urban areas of either city).

Texas 35th: Almost 100 miles long but only a few miles wide in places, connecting blue-leaning areas of San Antonio and Austin via I-35 into one seat that should be two.

Pyrokai

Wait until you see North Carolina, Florida, and Ohio gerrymandered districts! #youaintseennothinyet

Edit: Oh didn't see the post at the very top of this page, lol

I just LOVE that gerrymandering is pretty much what gave rise to Trump and imploded the GOP. They dug their own grave. Idiots.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Two urban centers separated by 100+ miles should never be in the same district..

Even if land-based represtentation was a good idea (it's not), individual cities have their own cultures, industrial leanings, and community values. You can't lump two densely populated metropolitan areas together. It's just not going to be representative of the district as a whole.

Two urban centers separated by 100+ miles should never be in the same district..

Even if land-based represtentation was a good idea (it's not), individual cities have their own cultures, industrial leanings, and community values. You can't lump two densely populated metropolitan areas together. It's just not going to be representative of the district as a whole.

You seem to be under the impression that this is about making sure people are adequately represented. It's not.

Florida's SC ruled last year that all 27 districts in the state had to be redrawn. I believe they have been redrawn by the courts themselves.

Aurongel

Damn, good on her.

Kind of shocked to see her be a voice of reason and point out the dumb logical inconsistencies in his argument. He kept saying over and over again "would you trust your daughter in a restroom with a 30 year old man?!" because it's the hypothetical that supports his bias. If you said "do you trust your son in a restroom with a 30 year old man?" then his argument wouldn't work because we do this all the time. It's just exploiting this odd double standard, if a pedophile creep wants to sneak into a bathroom then they will. No sign or rule is going to stop them from doing that.

AYF 001

What a strange heel-face turn for her

Damn, good on her.

Kind of shocked to see her be a voice of reason and point out the dumb logical inconsistencies in his argument. He kept saying over and over again "would you trust your daughter in a restroom with a 30 year old man?!" because it's the hypothetical that supports his bias. If you said "do you trust your son in a restroom with a 30 year old man?" then his argument wouldn't work because we do this all the time. It's just exploiting this odd double standard, if a pedophile creep wants to sneak into a bathroom then they will. No sign or rule is going to stop them from doing that.

I'm starting to wonder if perhaps she's realized how the rhetoric her station has been spewing for years could lead to a man like Trump treating her the way he did and still becoming more popular among her audience.

The fact that women are probably going to be bearing the brunt of the repercussions from this law is another reason for her to speak out against it, rather than towing the party line on such an issue.

Though if Trump eventually recedes from the spotlight/election, I wonder if the network higher-ups will continue to let her act that way, since their main existential concern isn't bothering them anymore, and expect her to "get over it".

A lot of good points made here, but are you sure about the money and turnout points? According to ballotpedia, spending in favor of the ordinance was 2 million $ vs 400,000 by the winners. Turnout for the election was also the highest since 2003 and 150,000 people voted against the ordinance. I'm an outsider but just wondering if more people might actually oppose the ordinance (based on bathroom panic) than you realized.

Originally ths wasn't that big of a story. Then the mayor subpoenaed church sermons for reasons and basically started a war with the most influential churches in Houston. The only block that is guaranteed to vote in an odd year election are the church blue hairs, particularly if you've riled them up. It doesn't take a lot of money when you can skew the vote like that. And the pro hero response to the add was pitiful. If that vote was in a presidential year, in particular this year or 2008, likely a different story, certainly a much closer vote.

You know the world is mostly a safer place now because the most powerful politicians in the world are fighting for toilet rights instead of actual life-threatening issues.

cameron

Reuters: "Texas to sue to stop U.S. government's transgender bathroom policy"
Texas will file a lawsuit aimed at stopping the Obama administration's guidance to U.S. public schools this month that transgender students must be allowed to use the bathroom of their choice, Republican Governor Greg Abbott said on Wednesday.

"Texas will sue to stop (President Barack) Obama's transgender directive to schools," Abbott said in a Twitter post.

The governor linked to a news article referencing the expected announcement of the legal challenge during a news conference that Republican Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton has scheduled for later on Wednesday.

DR2K

Banned
I voted for Wendy Davis, seems like no matter how liberal the major cities are in Texas the batshit loons have a bigger say.

norm9

I'm starting to wonder if perhaps she's realized how the rhetoric her station has been spewing for years could lead to a man like Trump treating her the way he did and still becoming more popular among her audience.

The fact that women are probably going to be bearing the brunt of the repercussions from this law is another reason for her to speak out against it, rather than towing the party line on such an issue.

Though if Trump eventually recedes from the spotlight/election, I wonder if the network higher-ups will continue to let her act that way, since their main existential concern isn't bothering them anymore, and expect her to "get over it".

She's hoping to land a morning show gig once her contract is up later this year.

Whenever I see things like this, I'm always reminded that (as long as Trump doesn't win), this is just an unfortunate roadbump in progress. In fact, this shit usually just accelerates progress.

Amory

If I were to look for news articles related to this issue since the North Carolina law was passed, I'd find exactly zero of a transgender person assaulting a child or any other person, and 10 or 12 of a bathroom warrior assaulting a cisgender female with short hair for being in the ladies' room.

It's their fault that innocent people are getting assaulted in bathrooms. This wasn't happening before the north carolina law.

Retro

I voted for Wendy Davis, seems like no matter how liberal the major cities are in Texas the batshit loons have a bigger say.

See the discussion about Gerrymandering earlier in this thread to find out why. The deck has always been stacked in a lot of states, and now that the Voting Rights Act has been gutted a lot of them are going to get even worse (especially in the south, where specific states were prevented from changing election laws by Section 4, the part ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court).

Kicking and screaming it is, then.

The good news is, with the way conservatives have been fighting the future by digging in their heels and then throwing tantrums when the rest of the country tries to carry them forward, stuff like climate change is now irreversible and there won't be anyone left to read about how shameful this has all been.

Arkeband

Banned

Just remember that while she often passes muster when in the spotlight, she's also the anchor who told children on-air that Santa is white, he just is, deal with it. She is not Shep, a solitary voice of sanity in a round table of outrage and incompetence.

See the discussion about Gerrymandering earlier in this thread to find out why. The deck has always been stacked in a lot of states, and now that the Voting Rights Act has been gutted a lot of them are going to get even worse (especially in the south, where specific states were prevented from changing election laws by Section 4, the part ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court).
Does Texas vote its governor in by district? Or straight up popular vote? Because if it is the latter, why does gerrymandering even matter?

Does Texas vote its governor in by district? Or straight up popular vote? Because if it is the latter, why does gerrymandering even matter?

Gerrymandering affects US congress. There are disproportionally more Republican congressman than there should be because of gerrymandering.

Honestly, its kind of a good thing that they're suing.

If they win, the status quo stays the same, but if they lose this entire map will turn green*

LGBT-state-discrimination-map.png

*for trans people. Sadly it will probably take federal legislation to ban sexual orientation discrimination, rather than precedent law established by the courts.

Retro

Yeah, my bad, I focused on the last half of the post there.

Gerrymandering affects US congress. There are disproportionally more Republican congressman than there should be because of gerrymandering.

Nah, Skiptastic is right; Gerrymandering is responsible for the state of congress, but as far as governor goes, that's popular vote. I know districts are twisted as hell, but I haven't heard anything about county lines getting skewed in the same way (but it wouldn't surprise me if it was happening.

Ordlan

Banned

If I were to look for news articles related to this issue since the North Carolina law was passed, I'd find exactly zero of a transgender person assaulting a child or any other person, and 10 or 12 of a bathroom warrior assaulting a cisgender female with short hair for being in the ladies' room.

It's their fault that innocent people are getting assaulted in bathrooms. This wasn't happening before the north carolina law.
For some reason it really amuses me that most bigots don't realize that there are far more cis women who look like they could be trans women than there are trans women who look visibly trans.

Perhaps if the bigots swing and miss often enough, they'll forfeit the game. Middle eastern people are far easier to spot, and bigots love beating up middle eastern people.

Rayis

I keep being disgusted by Texas politics, godfuckin' dammit, I hope you lose Abbott, I didn't vote for you and I hate that you became the governor.

collige

Banned
For shits and giggles:
Florida 14th: Sweeps across Tampa Bay to lump the largely black / integrated sections of SW St. Petersberg in, allowing the 13th to stay almost entirely white and safely Republican. I believe the Florida SC ruled this had to be redrawn though, so that map may be old.

Illinois 4th: Two Hispanic communities connected by I-294, one Mexican, one Puerto Rican.

Illinois 7th: Predominantly African American (54.6%)

Maryland 2nd: 98.3% urban, 1.7% rural. Anne Arundel County is split up between four districts, of which the 2nd is merely one of them. The game here is to basically split up urban areas in weird ways so they stay safely urban and left-leaning, keeping the rural areas these districts snake around safe for Republicans.

Maryland 3rd: is also pretty gross, and another chunk of Anne Arundel. 98.4% urban, 1.3% rural. In fact, all of Maryland is pretty bad (it's usually the second or third worst state depending on which list you look at).

North Carolina 1st: Pretty sure this has been ordered changed too. It and North Carolina 12th were both drawn to concentrate African-American voters and dilute their overall influence.

Ohio 9th: The ol Mistake by the Lake; a 20 yard wide bridge and a beach (which floods, meaning there are times the district isn't even connected by land) are used to connect Cleveland to Toledo, 100+ miles apart, to deny two seats to Democrats.

Pennsylvania 7th: The PA 6th 7th are both a result of trying to carve chunks out of democrat-leaning Philadelphia and tie them to blue-collar areas around Reading and Harrisburg (without including the democrat-leaning urban areas of either city).

Texas 35th: Almost 100 miles long but only a few miles wide in places, connecting blue-leaning areas of San Antonio and Austin via I-35 into one seat that should be two.
The Maryland situation is pretty ironic because it's lead to our piece of shit Republican governor asking for Obama's help to make the state less controlled by Democrats.

As a Maine resident, he is a national embarrassment to what was once the shining ideal of three-party politics. He has ruined the political reputation of our state.

He's also, like you mentioned, human trash. Unfit for leadership in every respect.

Not unlike Donald Trump.

I'm also in Maine, and it pisses me to no end he got re-elected. I wanted him impeached so fucking bad.

Fuck you Abbot I'm ready for you to be gone already, I can't wait to rally to vote your ass out. Texas politics suck and make me embarrassed to be a citizen of this state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom