• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thank you, 343 and MS for delaying Halo Infinite

'turned things around' is an extreme overstatement. Depending on who you ask, they did absolutely squat. And xbox one had AAA exclusives launching alongside it, and goodwill from the X360. Right now MS has neither.
They went from the most anti-consumer company to releasing the Xbox one X and making gamepass a big success and completely axing the cancer of Kinect. So yea, they did massively turn around their public image. Only thing they still struggle with is exclusives and honestly, we will will just have to wait and see. I expect Sony will still dominate in that area though. You literally act as if the launch only matters. The best Sony exclusive came out way after the launch titles.

Last edited:

saintjules

WTF MS? You started so strong out of the gate.. Who the hell decided to flex that muscle prematurely? This was your primary weapon going into next-gen, and you managed to fuck it up......again!

Like I said a couple months ago. It's like they had the football in hand, running down for the touchdown with no one around them, and they still fumble.

When they initially revealed the design of the Box at TGA, they were pretty much on fire. Doing the hardware teardown with Digital Foundry and Austin Evans. Then the May showcase happened..

Last edited:

Zato

Banned
Like I said a couple months ago. It's like they had the football in hand, running down for the touchdown with no one around them, and they still fumble.

When they initially revealed the design of the Box at TGA, they were pretty much on fire. Doing the hardware teardown with Digital Foundry and Austin Evans. Then the May showcase happened..

So games is where they fell down ... was always going to be the case.

The competitors deliver system selling games regularly and it shows.

Abear21

Banned
That’s 2020 folks, this should have been expected by all. Still, blaming Covid in the press release is cringe. They didn’t need to say it, they should have just said they need more time to deliver the goods and know the reasonable people will understand.

It might be wise to announce a new release date ASAP though and I think it’s weird they didn’t. It’s admitting they are so far lost in the process they cannot commit to a date.

Also, how Flight Sim doesn’t have a release date for Xbox yet I don’t know—at least they are consistent. Halo (with good multiplayer) and FS2020 would push me to get a Series X. Hopefully by mid next year I’ll be enjoying both...outlook uncertain for sure though.

quickwhips

He’s right you know
Not really. That was a thing with carts but games can launch and become something else later. I loved the last of multi and then they shit on one of the best multiplayer games ive ever played. So i guess we will see.

TLZ

Banned
If 343i keeps the development duties for this franchise after this shitshow then Microsoft basically kills Halo with it.

this studio single handedly managed to kill one of gaming's biggest franchises, and after a 5, FIVE!, year development cycle they still hadn't listened to fan feedback and they still couldn't ship a game on time.

343i is a burden and has to be closed down immediately after this game launches, either that or the whole studio needs to be completely reformed.

they fucked up 2 Halo games and a Halo collection, so basically everything they ever made was a failure. THEY are a failure.

but its not like that's a new take what I'm saying here, that's what many Halo fans said since at least Halo 5's launch, if not longer than that.
Ok. So don't you think, based on everything you've said, Phil Spencer is also responsible and should be questioned about all this? He's the man in charge, he watched 343 murder Halo, one of gaming's biggest franchises like you say. He says he's always listening to the fans. So after witnessing this murder time and again, why did he allow this latest one to happen? Imo he should be held accountable for this.

If I was in charge, and I have such a massive game in my hands, I'd hand it to the most competent devs I have at Xbox. It's the face of Xbox. That's common sense. Giving it to incompetent people once is enough proof that either I don't care, or don't know its value. Giving it to incompetent people AGAIN, should be an indication that I get the axe, unless MS doesn't care and all they care about now is services.

Last edited:

KiNeMz

Banned
i think this is their only choice. They can redeem it. They need to knock it out of the park. Make me want to purchase an Xbox SX in 2021 because Halo looks so fucken amazing.

Discusguy

There is no next gen Xbox without Halo launch game. 343 studios......garbage in garbage out.

Time to pick up the games I’ve been holding off on for Sony and Nintendo.

Velius

Banned
EfKWeQFXkAAy_Z5
I'm not a sony fan and I hate sony fanboys but this is fucking hilarious

I love Xbox and it's been my go to console of this current gen, but to fuck up the launch this badly while having the most powerful console is just such a MS thing to do.
They had it all set out and everytime they've opened their mouths post the Series X breakdown from DF and the other guy they've just screwed themselves.
All the new studios and talk of how they're improving means nothing. Not a single new 1st party game on launch is truly pathetic.
I'm totally amazed at how they could fuck it up this badly.

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
Glad they delayed it but ps5 Road to 10 million became like a cake walk for sony . Competition is needed and ms isn't giving any unfortunately. Hopefully soon .

It appears that way but we don't know yet what the PS5 launch line up will look like. We're nearing mid-August and we still don't have any gameplay for Miles Morales ?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
It's almost as if no one remembers the shitty Xbox One and PlayStation 4 launch lineups to only realize that they BOTH went over 1m in sales on their respective release day. And that was with a $500 price tag, Kinect and that pre-E3 fuck up.

Yet people all of a sudden think Xbox is doomed because Halo was delayed. Uh, no. Launching a game that isn't ready to be launched would hurt Xbox and do far more harm than good. The overall launch lineup is still far better than in 2013.

MrFunSocks

Banned

Is this going to be the narrative now, that they were on track to "win" the generation and destroy Sony, but Halo Infinite was the game that destroyed all that and single handedly ruined the division?

Even if Halo was the GOTG it would not be enough to make the Xbox outsell the PS5. So many people in here don't seem to understand how brands work. I'm sure Apple will really have to pull out all stops with the iPhone 12 to outsell the OnePlus 9. Removing the charging brick from the box might kill apple!

GAF: "hahahahahahah halo infinite looks like a NES game, it's the shittest game ever and needs to be delayed!"

MS: "we're delaying infinite"

GAF: "hahahahahahaha omg they're delaying halo infinite, it was going to single handedly win the war for MS, can't believe they'd delay it!"

thisisneogaf.gif

It's reminiscent of Scalebound TBH.

GAF: "hahahahahah scalebound looks like absolute shit"

MS: "we're cancelling scalebound"

GAF: "OMG i can't believe they're cancelling scalebound, it looked amazing and was going to make me buy 10 xbox ones!"

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Imagine being this dense to believe that a proper launch includes zero first party titles.

why would I want to be stuck with older hardware for 3rd party games? The PS2 launch was a success due to third party games like SSX, Madden and Timesplitters.

If the hardware is ready, you think they should wait about a year for Halo?

magaman

Banned
why would I want to be stuck with older hardware for 3rd party games? The PS2 launch was a success due to third party games like SSX, Madden and Timesplitters.

If the hardware is ready, you think they should wait about a year for Halo?

There are zero first party titles. What don't you understand? They aren't prepared for this launch because the library isn't there, and you're literally comparing excellent third party games like SSX and Timesplitters to the garbage that MS has lined up. What's there to be excited for? Yakuza? Really? A timed exclusive?

Bolivar687

Banned
I'd rather see 343i stand behind their interpretation of classic Halo gameplay for the launch of the Series X, with the graphics meaningfully improving over time. Blow people away with Ray Tracing and other features. But the important thing is to get people buying your box and playing online.

Miyamoto-san is wrong here.

DryvBy

Are you kidding? 343 fixing one of their games may take half the generation. Do you not remember Halo MCC? It was years before that game was actually good.

343 needs to be repositioned. They suck.

DavidGzz

What have they done during these last 5 years of development?

So graphics are everything? We got a snippet of gameplay and are saying the dev is lazy now? Did you watch some sneak peak at the entire campaign and multiplayer? I guess that means BoTW 2 is wasting everyone's time as well seeing how the graphics are shit? I bet the devs who are working their ass off love reading this.

Are you kidding? 343 fixing one of their games may take half the generation. Do you not remember Halo MCC? It was years before that game was actually good.

I thought that was a group effort between several studios which is what made it a nightmare?

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
There are zero first party titles. What don't you understand? They aren't prepared for this launch because the library isn't there, and you're literally comparing excellent third party games like SSX and Timesplitters to the garbage that MS has lined up. What's there to be excited for? Yakuza? Really? A timed exclusive?

I understand they aren’t ready. But delaying it would be an even worse option. Yes, launching with first party games would be great, but wouldn’t be worth the damage done by a delay.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned

development didn’t start back up until sometime 2018, when they finally were given the go ahead to address the issues with it

DavidGzz

This forum is essentially a toxic youtube chat feed. Awesome.

Era is like some PC hive mind but this place is the opposite right now before launch of the new consoles. Shame it can't be somewhere in the middle.

This thread is indeed pathetic and an indictment on what Xbox and its fandom has become. Thanking a company for delaying a game that has been in development for 5 years because it was memed. Keep that Covid shit outta here too - the delay has nought to do with Covid.

It doesn't excuse everything about it but it could easily be the reason Ray-tracing was delayed. And yes, I think Raytracing in that video could have made a dramatic difference given the graphics style.

Last edited:

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
This forum is essentially a toxic youtube chat feed. Awesome.

Era is like some PC hive mind but this place is the opposite right now before launch of the new consoles. Shame it can't be somewhere in the middle.

You're absolutely right - this situation demands an opinion that's set in the middle.

Of course it's great that 343 and MS had the guts to delay one of their flagship titles in order to polish it accordingly to the quality fans around the globe are expecting to see. Especially after the public outcry that followed the last showing.

But I always have to say that they don't deserve any gratitude.
Not after they tried to damage control the whole situation. Why couldn't this be the first reaction by 343 and MS? Why did we have to through "It's an old build", "Watch it in 4K, it looks better", and "Hey this is a big game, it look more awesome in other areas"?

It's like saying "Thank you" after MS decided not to follow their stupid Xbox One strategy that nearly killed the MS gaming branch and allowed Sony to start the current gen as a winner easily.
We can be happy they decided against this course. But saying "Thank you" after it took some serious backlash to change their plans is too much imo.

Is this going to be the narrative now, that they were on track to "win" the generation and destroy Sony, but Halo Infinite was the game that destroyed all that and single handedly ruined the division?

Even if Halo was the GOTG it would not be enough to make the Xbox outsell the PS5. So many people in here don't seem to understand how brands work. I'm sure Apple will really have to pull out all stops with the iPhone 12 to outsell the OnePlus 9. Removing the charging brick from the box might kill apple!

GAF: "hahahahahahah halo infinite looks like a NES game, it's the shittest game ever and needs to be delayed!"

MS: "we're delaying infinite"

GAF: "hahahahahahaha omg they're delaying halo infinite, it was going to single handedly win the war for MS, can't believe they'd delay it!"

thisisneogaf.gif
pretty much MS: halo 6 is going to be a cross console cross play game between xbox one, xbox SX and pc
GAF: haha xbox is doomed who buys a console to play a current gen game, the graphics sucks where the 30 fps slow walking chats
MS: Where going to delay the game to polish it up a bit
GAF: haha xbox is doomed no halo at launch.
Even though its been what 20+ years since a console launch day and date with halo kinda like how GT hasnt launch on a console since the ps1 but I wont go there.
Na i will
why didnt persona, FF, yakuza or any notable Japanese IP launch on the ps4 at launch i guess the ps4s entire success was built on knack.

so now yakuza doesnt matter anymore "great series" the sony fanboys jerking off to that franchise like its no tomarrow now its old new since xbox got it cool :messenger_grinning_sweat:

So graphics are everything? We got a snippet of gameplay and are saying the dev is lazy now? Did you watch some sneak peak at the entire campaign and multiplayer? I guess that means BoTW 2 is wasting everyone's time as well seeing how the graphics are shit? I bet the devs who are working their ass off love reading this.

one moment fps is king then its how many studios you own now where back to graphics amazing :messenger_grinning_sweat:. I guess everyone forgot that people play games for the game play since gaming is an interactive medium if all i cared about was graphics,cgi effects and story I would just watch movies and tv then.

Virex

Banned
We should give some praise to any developer or manufacturer when they make a decision that benefit the game and the players.
Especiallyly such a hard one like this.

We all saw it, the game was not ready. They cound not had finished it in time.

It was probably the toughest call 343 and MS have had to make, but it is the best call.

It is the best for the players, no doubt.

They will now offer a better game, they will showcase better the Series X and they may be able to have his flagship back in action and be a powerful reason to get the console.

The fans have been asking for it every day, lierally asking them to blame covid.

I am glad they delayed it.

Edit:
"The decision to shift our release is the result of multiple factors that have contributed to development challenges, including the ongoing COVID-related impacts affecting us all this year. I want to acknowledge the hard work from our team at 343 Industries, who have remained committed to making a great game and finding solutions to development challenges. However, it is not sustainable for the well-being of our team or the overall success of the game to ship it this holiday."
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Halo and 343i. The gameplay is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the delay and forum posts will go over a typical reader's head. There's also Phil Spencer and Bonnie Ross's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- their personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The the Halo and 343i fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these delays, to realise that they're not just delays- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Phil Spencer, Bonnie Ross,Halo and Craig truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Phil Spencer and Bonnie Ross's existential catchphrase "This is going to be the best launch ever," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Phil Spencer and Bonnie Ross's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them. 😂

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Phil Spencer and Bonnie Rosss tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid 😎

JTCx

Yes graphics are everything its the end all be all, the gameplay was also dull as fuck but lets not talk about that. BotW2 is trash and dumb to smoke. I know because my uncle works at Nintendo.

Top Bottom