• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That's enough, N'Gai Croal

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
There are other journalists we should be more worried about anyways.

e3quote4.png

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
chubigans said:

the best part about that quote is that immediately after saying he wants to push his imagination farther than ever, he is unable to imagine how Sony or Nintendo could top MS' show...

anandxxx

I just think it's funny that ANYBODY expected ANY KIND of story integrity or background from CAPCOM. Have they ever delivered a believable world, with believable characters, in a meticulously researched setting? Why the hell would they start now?

Also, N'Gai has some interesting viewpoints, but his writing-style is bloated. Communication (that is meant for public consumption) should always be clear and concise.

woxel1

EternalGamer said:
It strikes me that this thread may be largely veiled politics throughout. Maybe it should be titled: "Suburban Conservative Kids Don't Like N'Gai Croal."
GAF suffers from anti-intellectualist groupthink, news at 11.

RandomVince said:
Tim Rogers' writing is awesome. It straddles the line between batshit insane and biting social commentary at times, and when it works it does so brilliantly. His column in Games tm magazine is a bit more concise than his web articles, so try reading that if you get a chance.

Joke post? Anyhow, I completely agree with the OP. N'Gai is just horrible. I'll delete gaming podcasts immediately if I see that he's a guest.

Whoa whoa whoa James Mielke has produced far more entertaining content than most of the other names I'm seeing tossed around in this thread.*

*Whenever he's around Itagaki

EternalGamer said:
It strikes me that this thread may be largely veiled politics throughout. Maybe it should be titled: "Suburban Conservative Kids Don't Like N'Gai Croal."

I would go the 'young white men threatened by hightly intelligent black man's opinions' angle. Maybe if he had a baby face he would be more accepted? :lol

Whatever you are doing keep it up N'Gai, success always leads to GAF hate.

The problem with N'Gai is that his supporters were more in love with his position (blogger for a sub page on Newsweek.com) than anything the guy had to say.

People saw him as a potential messiah for the industry because he was going to be the guy to get the mainstream to accept their fringe hobby. The industry has been fine for the past twenty years and does not need some non-gamer like N'Gai to champion its cause. As I have said time and time again people who care about the mainstream's acceptance;

1 - Have a subconscious disdain for their hobby and feel the need for it to be validated.
2 - Want to see the industry move more into the mainstream. When this happens we get more Wii shovelware aimed at the lowest common denominator.

Also N'Gai loves it when people talk about him. I have never seen a person with more of a sense of self-importance than has. He loves pontificating on points that others have already made ten times over. He thinks that by repeating shit everyone already knows it will be seen more profound just because he is the one saying it.

chubigans said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol if that is real that is some fucking gold right there

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I think Croal is a great writer. I just wish he talked about a wider range of game genres. Naturally, in order to make money, you have to confine yourself to the most popular stuff.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
chubigans said:

It can not be repeated enough: James Mielke thought that Nintendo had pretaped their E3 conference, wrote impressions about the lifelessness of the presentation and how pretaping their presentation was a sign of how they just don't care, and never realized that he was, in fact, in the overflow room, watching the conference live.

But, to be fair, I've otherwise enjoyed Mielke's writing, especially during his tenure at GMR. People make mistakes, hilarious mistakes, but mistakes none-the-less. The real question I have is: did he ever admit that some of his stuff out of the recent E3 was a little, I dunno, insane?

jrricky

Banned
What is wrong with the OP? Leave the freakin guy alone. You dont like him so ignore the shit out of him you dumbass.

FirstInHell said:
The problem with N'Gai is that his supporters were more in love with his position (blogger for a sub page on Newsweek.com) than anything the guy had to say.

Certainly not true. I think a lot of people started to like N'Gai when he showed signs of understanding the Wii, as one of the first gaming journalists. He quite obviously wasn't saying the same thing that everyone else at that time. The RE5 thing shows that he isn't really that deep, he could have found much better (although more subtle and non-black) targets in other games imo.

jrricky said:
What is wrong with the OP? Leave the freakin guy alone. You dont like him so ignore the shit out of him you dumbass.

I'm sorry I didn't know I wasn't allowed to voice an opinion on gaming-related topics in the gaming forum.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
FirstInHell said:
There was nothing racist in RE5. It was something outrageous to say that got him a lot of attention.

Precisely. Hell, how could RE5 be racist when the producers don't even remember what African country they visited. For all we know, they went to South Africa. >_>

I love Croal. I think he is awesome and on-point with his commentary. I hope the games industry is positioning itself to enter a more mature realm of entertainment, and people like Croal are providing the proper analysis to achieve that.

I think OP is a hater and a bad poster with nothing to post about other than his raaaage. Those that agree with OP are likely bad posters as well with little substance in their opinions.

myDingling said:
I love Croal. I think he is awesome and on-point with his commentary. I hope the games industry is positioning itself to enter a more mature realm of entertainment, and people like Croal are providing the proper analysis to achieve that.

I think OP is a hater and a bad poster with nothing to post about other than his raaaage. Those that agree with OP are likely bad posters as well with little substance in their opinions.

I may be a bad poster but I am not a hater. I am asking Croal to write about subjects other than himself, since he tends to be really good when that happens.

myDingling said:

You tell those bad posters!

MC Safety

Foxtastical said:
Columns are written by one person and are about that one person's opinion. Editorials are usually written by one person, but that person is writing about the opinion of an editorial staff/newspaper staff/whatever. The writer of an editorial doesn't get a byline like a column writer does.

Newspapers oftentimes have an unbylined "staff" editorial that's written either by the editorial page editor, the editor-in-chief, or a staffer under the direction of said editors. But there are also personal, bylined editorials. And opposing bylined editorials.

Editorial columnists write editorial columns. I think, largely, the two terms are interchangeable.

jergrah

N'Gai is a fan of The Wire and compared Playboy X and Dwayne from GTAIV to Stringer Bell and Cutty from the Cut on some podcast -- so he's okay in my book. Though personally, Id compare Playboy X to Avon Barksdale more than Stringer Bell.

Mash

OP I think what's happened is you've gotten a certain idea about N'Gai into your head and then you've proceeded to interpret everything he writes in lieu of that. Then you've found a bunch of quotes to support that. If I wasn't extremely lazy I could probably do the same but in support of N'Gai, because I think he really is awesome. Neither of us would be right or wrong.

woxel1 said:
GAF suffers from anti-intellectualist groupthink, news at 11.
Pretty much. Such is the irony of Gaming-side: we get pissed off when a games writer takes the easy way out, parrots PR and sticks to the tired "graphics paragraph/sound paragraph/gameplay paragraph" style of shitty writing, or says nothing of value in their writing, but whenever a writer decides to not treat the audience like a gaggle of idiots and says something that requires a little more critical thought or is potentially controversial, we jump down their throats for being arrogant or out-of-touch and then AltogetherAndrews goes on another rant about how all critics need to die for some reason or another.

GAF is incredibly hypocritical. Maybe that's why I like it so much.

EDIT: just to be clear, this isn't about N'gai specifically so much as it's about games writers in general. I've never read enough of N'gai's work to form an opinion on him.

sprocket

Banned
He is just a guy with opinions like you or me. I've always found him to be more level headed than most of today game journalist .

Mash said:
OP I think what's happened is you've gotten a certain idea about N'Gai into your head and then you've proceeded to interpret everything he writes in lieu of that. Then you've found a bunch of quotes to support that. If I wasn't extremely lazy I could probably do the same but in support of N'Gai, because I think he really is awesome. Neither of us would be right or wrong.

"Lieu" is "place" not "light" :)

Croal's so vain
he probably thinks this thread is about him
Croal's so vaaaaaain
he probably think this gen is about him
don't you? don't you?! DON'T YOU?!

Zeliard

FirstInHell said:
There was nothing racist in RE5. It was something outrageous to say that got him a lot of attention.

chandoog said:
Precisely. Hell, how could RE5 be racist when the producers don't even remember what African country they visited. For all we know, they went to South Africa. >_>

He never said RE5 was racist. Keep missing the point.

chubigans said:

James Mielke? Say whatever you will about his more questionable tendencies (i. e. occasionally questionably high reviews), but the man has more gaming insight than N'Gai.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
DaBargainHunta said:
Agreed. Most of the teenybopper jerkoffs on GAF are seething with rage and jealousy than N'Gai has done more in the gaming industry than they'll ever hope to do.
This.

Don't get mad because a gaming journalist actually fulfills the "journalist" aspect of the job description in a manner that respects the subject matter he covers.

The Edge "RE5" column was well-written and demonstrated that some people are able to touch on a sensitive subject without hiding behind the "it's just a game" apron strings, exemplified by the fine standard of discourse found here, for example.

If you want respect for your hobby, I suggest you rejoice when somebody in a mainstream position provides representation that extends beyond the fanboy feces-flinging that is all too common in this industry.

Grow the fuck up.

Talon

FirstInHell said:
Also N'Gai loves it when people talk about him. I have never seen a person with more of a sense of self-importance than has. He loves pontificating on points that others have already made ten times over. He thinks that by repeating shit everyone already knows it will be seen more profound just because he is the one saying it.
Clearly you have gained a deeper insight into N'Gai's persona than even his associates or even himself...simply through listening to his podcasts and reading some columns.

And guess what? Chances are that someone, somewhere is going to "repeat shit," as you so eloquently put, simply because of the volume of noise out there.

Ultimately, though, this is the problem with being a Journalist. You're supposed to serve as an intermediary between consumers and the news (whatever it may be), but the cross-section of your audience can range from the hardcore followers (Sports - Jets superfan, Technology - Electrical Engineer/Researcher/Apple Fanboy, etc., Politics - Beltway insiders, etc.) and the general public. Unless your audience is defined as a specific segment (read: Kotaku readership), you'll never be able to please the entire spectrum. You'll lose the superfan because you don't focus on minutiae or esoteric knowledge or vice versa.

Ril

verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude verisimilitude

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Zeliard said:

Zeliard said:

Zeliard said:

Zeliard said:

Zeliard said:

Zeliard said:

Zeliard said:

Zeliard said:

Zeliard said:

Zeliard said:

Zeliard said:

Zeliard said:

Zeliard said:

Zeliard said:

Zeliard said:

Zeliard said:

/Any thread about N"Gai

Talon

~Devil Trigger~ said:
/Any thread about N"Gai
Actually, yeah, I still don't see how people are blind enough to think it was such a simplistic argument. He said that there was some uncomfortable imagery within that trailer, and he wondered if that could be a problem once the mass public saw that game.

Jesus Christ.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I think he has a tendency to over explain and over analyze (especially during the OOTG podcast) but other than that I have no problem with N'gai. To be honest, I'm guilty of this sometimes when talking with my wife or friends.

MC Safety said:
Newspapers oftentimes have an unbylined "staff" editorial that's written either by the editorial page editor, the editor-in-chief, or a staffer under the direction of said editors. But there are also personal, bylined editorials. And opposing bylined editorials.

Editorial columnists write editorial columns. I think, largely, the two terms are interchangeable.
Probably interchangeable, it really doesn't bother me. That's the way I was taught from people at the Journal Sentinel here in Milwaukee. I just think it's important to understand how columns and editorials can work. Happy times all around.

And while it seems simple to us, I really don't think a lot of people can differentiate between a column/editorial and a regular news piece. People here always confuse them.

Top Bottom