• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 25 Highest Earning Youtube Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rokam

Sparklez, Bajan and Sky are all pretty cool for Minecraft guy.
Though the novelty has worn off for me.

Yeah tends to come and go, usually if I'm going to "watch" a Minecraft LP I'll just toss it on in the background while playing another game. Tab out to check what they're building every now and then. Typically don't watch most LPs anymore for the game, but for the commentary & stories.

Halcyon

I use YouTube as a primary source of content entertainment. I know and am subscribed to most of those channels just because they all mostly put out a lot of stuff.

I'm fine with them making a ton of money because it won't last, it's providing jobs, and I like the idea that people with relatively cheap cameras can rival television stations in viewership.

Toby also has a vlog channel that has a decent amount of subs so i'm sure he's got more than reported.

I'd like to know what of this is take home. I feel like the people they are in contract with are taking most of the money.

What does a guy like PDP do with $7m a year... seriously! That's some insane dough for a gamer who spends a great deal of his time playing games at home. He is leveraging the system in the best possible way, can't blame him for that... just boggles my mind the kind of cash being exchanged.

You really think those 7m wonder into his personal pocket? The production company creating his shitty shows, has 1000 channels and was bought for 500M(/950M if milestones are hit), by Walt Disney.

EDIT: Beaten like my eardrums watching PDP.

JennaMarbles that high, huh. Impressive. I used to find her much funnier but I stopped watching months ago. Good on her, though.

I know DisneyCollector because my three year old will watch her open Kindereggs for like an hour if I would let her. Surprised to see how much money she is making, though.

Exile20

I know DisneyCollector because my three year old will watch her open Kindereggs for like an hour if I would let her. Surprised to see how much money she is making, though.

I just went to the channel. She buys toys and plays with them for 3-5 mins.

Ofcourse I am not the audience but damn.

Halcyon

Why do you assume he isn't smart?

yea he was an engineer student. He looks to have mostly saved his money outside of shopping and moving from Italy to I think the UK. Most of his equipment looks to be given to him.

I have no doubt that he's saving a majority of the money.

Also he does all the work, and even if you dislike his style, he has connected with a generation of people who are growing up with YouTube as a prime entertainment and social media source. He's always been completely humble about the channel's success and hasn't changed much about it since I started watching him.

Plus he gives a ton of money to charity.

Denzar

And here I am, working my ass towards a depression in retail.

Good on them I guess. Even though I find people like Pewdiepie or Ray William Johnson terribly un-funny.

Sendero

Kind of surprised that Community Channel is not there. She has been described as top youtube star, and given that most of the girls I have seen clearly took a page of her "dramatization" style, would assume so. Guess is more about knowing how to play the game.

The top Mexican star is just as annoying as Pewdiepie. Got his name stolen by a copyright dispute with his friend, though. Heh.

patapuf

FPSrussia is one of the biggest channels on YouTube...

i once thought it was just a crazy dude with good connections...

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I'm happy to see people like FPSRussia, EpicMealTime and FreddieW on there, people whose content I still subscribe to and keep up with after all these years. Even if they are going through the motions they're all able to keep coming up with new ideas for the same formula and it's continuin to run well for them.

Shit like PDP and RWJ however, ergh.

Riki

Yeah tends to come and go, usually if I'm going to "watch" a Minecraft LP I'll just toss it on in the background while playing another game. Tab out to check what they're building every now and then. Typically don't watch most LPs anymore for the game, but for the commentary & stories.
I've moved to completely random people that play weird games or just play stupidly like ChilledChaos and Eatmydiction.
Variety helps a lot to keep it fresh.

Marv_79

Neo Member
That scary Disney Collector woman is the only one I've heard of from that list and that's only cos my little girl is proper obsessed with it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Target the 10-14 year old market and make millions!

(I don't sub to any of these channels). I've heard of about 5.

Randam

Yeah, I got no problem with publishers cracking down on monetization worth games. I can't make money off of Seinfeld commentary?
If you would provide a funny or entertaining commentary..

Don't have a problem with pubs wanting a share too.

But only a few percent.

90% is the youtuber and not the game.

Enco

Can't get angry at them making a living.

But when you consider they make so so much more than doctors/engineers/whatever it's kinda crazy.

Good for them though. Not jelly. Srs.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I haven't heard of like any of them. Then again I correctly use YouTube (and NicoNico) to watch videos of musclely men groaning to anime music.

It's great that so many people haven't heard of most of them though. That's democratisation for you! There are so many niche's being filled that couldn't just through TV.

Abounder

Banned
They are living the dream. Hard to hate on free entertainment.

But when you consider they make so so much more than doctors/engineers/whatever it's kinda crazy.

There are also "youtube stars" versions of those fields but they get to be on TV instead, and many also have their own side businesses and far better job security and career options. But I see what you're saying.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
History has shown that instant celebrity tends to lead to poor decision making, financially speaking.

But it hasn't been instant, he's been working away for years and growing his fanbase. I guess you saw his videos and assumed there was no way he could be intelligent.

KHlover

Banned
Epic rap battles and freddiew deserve every penny.
Yep, ERB has to be one of the best channels on Youtube.
Lol

Chop those numbers in half and those are pretty accurate estimates.

But yeah, can't believe I live in a world where sxephil makes more money than doctors, surgeons, bankers, professional athletes, etc. That's probably the single most damning sign for the fate of humanity... Even worse than war, nuclear armament, and disease put together.
Why wouldn't they earn as much as professional athletes? In the end those professional athletes only earn their wages because they entertain a LOT of people. Or do you think being able to play foodball really good would be worth $100m if nobody gave a shit about it? Entertainment is all they add to society.

Those youtubers probably put just as much time into their channels as the athletes into their training. Both ONLY exist to entertain people and once they fail at that their income breaks away. Why differentiate between youtubers and athletes?

Volimar

Also surprised at the lack of iJustine.

But it hasn't been instant, he's been working away for years and growing his fanbase. I guess you saw his videos and assumed there was no way he could be intelligent.

No. The only videos of his I saw was him freaking out in some Slender game, and that was pretty entertaining.

moggio

Banned
History has shown that instant celebrity tends to lead to poor decision making, financially speaking.

Hate to break it to you, but PewDiePie is quite obviously a smart guy.

He's good-looking too and charismatic. Sucks, I know.

But, hey, at least he raises a lot of money for charity.

Volimar

image.php

Hate to break it to you, but PewDiePie is quite obviously a smart guy.

He's good-looking too and charismatic. Sucks, I know.

But, hey, at least he raises a lot of money for charity.

Well then, hopefully he's taking care of his money. Don't really understand why people are projecting some sort of animosity toward him on my part. I was speaking in generality. I'm prefectly okay with his success.

Phoenix

I've always been fascinated by this 'making money on YouTube' but I've never quite understood how its done. Does Google just start writing you a check when you have popular videos or is there some other process that you go through?

Nice to see Vsauce in that list; One of the few names I recognized.

There are bunch channels that deserve to do better. CrashCourse and MentalFloss, TheGameTheorists, StarTalkRadio. Heck, I even thought GameGrumps was gonna be on that list.

Toby Turner has 3 channels I believe (Toby Games, Tobuscus and Toby Turner) so he may even be second.

For those who don't know him... he was that guy who hosted Ubi's E3 conference in 2012/2013 with Aisha Tyler (he was like a second host). Most people seemed to find him super annoying.

Halcyon

Toby Turner has 3 channels I believe (Toby Games, Tobuscus and Toby Turner) so he may even be second.

For those who don't know him... he was that guy who hosted Ubi's E3 conference in 2012/2013 with Aisha Tyler (he was like a second host). Most people seemed to find him super annoying.

He was also on the Annoying Orange TV show

He's one of the one's I've grown tired of because watching him play videogames is so irritating(because he sucks at them-which happens to be his angle)

He was also on the Annoying Orange TV show

He's one of the one's I've grown tired of because watching him play videogames is so irritating(because he sucks at them-which happens to be his angle)

Yeah, I should have mentioned that too.

I guess he must do really well because of that and his jingles (which he does for some companies).

I used to like him, and I see why people do, but he gets annoying to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom