• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 25 Highest Earning Youtube Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHlover

Banned
He was also on the Annoying Orange TV show

He's one of the one's I've grown tired of because watching him play videogames is so irritating(because he sucks at them-which happens to be his angle)

Fuck all the people crying "Mankind is DOOMED?! because youtubers make some money. This DVD cover right here is my personal "Mankind is DOOMED!!!" moment. Annoying Orange actually got popular enough to get an own show on CN while TheTrueBlacky quit youtube a few years ago since his real life got too busy with job etc.? Had he hung on just 1 year longer he'd probably not even need a job anymore ;-;

Yes I'm aware of my incredible hypocrisy on display here

GladiatoR

Banned
I know, everyone has different tastes, but I just don't see the appeal of watching somebody play a game and talk over it. Usually with their desperate try hard attempts at being funny. Just something I personally don't get.

I can understand things like Epic Meal Time. It's a funny take on things and something that, especially on Youtube, is out of the norm. But the amount of gaming focused channels that do pretty much EXACTLY the same thing as one another that are on that list is staggering. You think it would be kind of saturated by now.

Ivan 3414

That annoying douche being #1 is an ominous reminder of just how fucked up and ignorant the dominating generation is at the moment.

Owxi9.gif

Lol

Chop those numbers in half and those are pretty accurate estimates.

But yeah, can't believe I live in a world where sxephil makes more money than doctors, surgeons, bankers, professional athletes, etc. That's probably the single most damning sign for the fate of humanity... Even worse than war, nuclear armament, and disease put together.

Let's not be so dramatic now.

Phil at least puts the money back into his business and hires people with it.
SourceFed is doing something, even if its showing sexy lady galleries and him expressing his opinion for 15 minutes a day.

Fuchsdh

Like many others he has a contract with maker studios http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maker_Studios so I wonder how much of that money he actually gets (don't ask me why someone like pewdipie needs a producer in the first place)
Because smarter people than him convinced him he did and are probably reaping a good chunk of his income for themselves, god bless 'em.

Being a YT personality requires a huge amount of content that goes beyond the capabilities of most individuals.

Of that list, I've heard of Epic Meal Time and The Lonely Island (I assume this is the band?).

The only youtube channels that I watch on the regular are TeamFourStar's DBZ Abridged, HISHE, Honest Trailers, and AWE Me (the fictional weapon guys). I don't really have any interest in the opinions of normal people on the internet.

The Youtube stars I follow evidently didn't make the list :(

- Grace Helbig
- Mamrie Hart
- Miranda Sings
- Hannah Hart
- Flula
- Alaska Thunderfvck

Oh and Grace/Mamrie/Hannah >>> Jenna Marbles IMO.

RP912

Banned
It hits me all over the feels to not see Classic Game Room, Lazy Game Reviews, and BBQ Pitboys on this list :(.

andthebeatgoeson

If you would provide a funny or entertaining commentary..

Don't have a problem with pubs wanting a share too.

But only a few percent.

90% is the youtuber and not the game.

A few percent? If they want a bigger cut, they have to make their own material. Otherwise, they are subject to what the publisher wants to do for a license.

Well, I like Angry Joe and Total biscuit when it comes to gaming stuff.
Pewds can be fine, but his videos are all samey so it's only something I take a look at once in a month.

Occasionally watch some Jenna Marbles when she posts bikini videos, I am shameless like that.

But that's pretty much it, don't watch any of the other dudes on that list (used to like Yogscast, but they've turned into such annoying shills lately and stopped the one series I cared about.)

RP912

Banned
How can folks watch pewdiepie without the sudden urge of yanking your eyelids out?

I tried to watch one video by him and just didn't understand it. It's not commentary...its yelling and screeching.

Halcyon

How can folks watch pewdiepie without the sudden urge of yanking your eyelids out?

I tried to watch one video by him and just didn't understand it. It's not commentary...its yelling and screeching.

He's doing sort of a character. His "rise" to popularity was that he would play Amnesia when he really didn't want to because he was really scared. Then he would freak out uncontrollably whenever the monster would show up. That's how he caught on.

Now he just sorta plays stuff and screams less. His playthrough of Walking Dead season 1 ended with him breaking down crying.

Foffy

Banned
My favorite channels Tested, Rémi Gaillard, Jay Leno's Garage, Kay plays and BadgeofShame.
I must have bad taste when nothing got to the top.

Remi is fucking amazing. A sincerely wonderful person.

The Youtube stars I follow evidently didn't make the list :(

- Grace Helbig
- Mamrie Hart
- Miranda Sings
- Hannah Hart
- Flula
- Alaska Thunderfvck

Oh and Grace/Mamrie/Hannah >>> Jenna Marbles IMO.

Drag has not really blown up to warrant that type of income, sadly. Sure, Drag Race is helping, but it alone can only go so far. Even with Adore's album being pretty huge for a drag queen, it was a small drop in the bucket for mainstream recognition of drag.

RP912

Banned
He's doing sort of a character. His "rise" to popularity was that he would play Amnesia when he really didn't want to because he was really scared. Then he would freak out uncontrollably whenever the monster would show up. That's how he caught on.

Now he just sorta plays stuff and screams less. His playthrough of Walking Dead season 1 ended with him breaking down crying.

Good to know that he switch it up a bit but dude still seems annoying and I watch some shit.

Especially How to Basic :/.

Remi is fucking amazing. A sincerely wonderful person.

Drag has not really blown up to warrant that type of income, sadly. Sure, Drag Race is helping, but it alone can only go so far. Even with Adore's album being pretty huge for a drag queen, it was a small drop in the bucket for mainstream recognition of drag.

Hah yeah, honestly out of my list I only would have expected Grace or Hannah to be on the top 40 ranking but I can see why they wouldn't be. Lifestyle vlogs tend to demand a lower budget and thus a lesser need to seek out advertisers, so the growth is pretty gradual usually.

You have to remember, many YouTube users are using a variation of Adblock or are not clicking the ad/not watching it the whole way through which diminishes the potential earnings.

I think you are over estimating the "Know How" of most of the world, if you look at the top 10 in that list and their audience, you will quickly realize they are probably not using high tech stuff like Adblockers.

Take PewDiePie, his audience are tweens from middle to high income families that are most likely watching all his stuff in iPads and iPod touch.

I know, everyone has different tastes, but I just don't see the appeal of watching somebody play a game and talk over it. Usually with their desperate try hard attempts at being funny. Just something I personally don't get.

I can understand things like Epic Meal Time. It's a funny take on things and something that, especially on Youtube, is out of the norm. But the amount of gaming focused channels that do pretty much EXACTLY the same thing as one another that are on that list is staggering. You think it would be kind of saturated by now.

I used to not understand it until It finally clicked, playing video games is an "active" sort of past time, it requires a lot of your attention and reflexes.

Watching people play on Twitch/YouTube makes it really passive, you can have it in the background and just relax, meanwhile you are watching someone skilled playing a game or you are simply watching the worlds, animation, etc that make games awesome.

wildfire

Banned
Collegehumor and Smosh are the only ones I saw videos for and Collegehumor is the only one I go to on occassion. I would think I would've seen more of these top youtubers by now.

krae_man

This is an old story but it opened my eyes. Wow.

The Highest Earning Youtube Stars: (estimated annual earnings)

#40: TimothyDeLaGhetto – $1 million (553 million total video views)
#26: TheLonelyIsland – $1.7 million (1.4 billion views)
#14: Nigahiga – $2.3 million (1.7b views)
#11: CollegeHumor – $3.3 million (2.3b views)
#6: JennaMarbles – $4.3 million (1.4b views)
#1: Pewdiepie – $7 million (3.7b views)

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/celebrity/the-25-highest-earning-youtube-stars/

These ones I've heard of before. I remember TimothyDeLaGhetto from Myspace even.

Yeah I'm curious where they'd rank since they made enough to where they could split it among the entire grumps team and Dan still made enough to quit his day job.

They probably make more money from merchandise sales than they do from youtube views. I've seen people in public wearing Grump merchandise pretty often.

Zoopa

Vsauce and RayWilliamJohnson's "Equals Three" are great (Equals Three has recently relaunched with a new guy, but it's still on RWJ's channel)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
#39: SHAYTARDS – $1 million (809m views)
#33: EpicMealTime – $1.3 million (668m views)
#32: FPSRussia – $1.3 million (600m views)
#26: TheLonelyIsland – $1.7 million (1.4 billion views)
#24: FreddieW – $1.8 million (980m views)
#19: Tobuscus – $2 million (940m views)
#13: ERB – $2.4 million (893m views)
#11: CollegeHumor – $3.3 million (2.3b views)
#10: RealAnnoyingOrange – $3.4 million (1.9b views)
#7: TobyGames – $4.2 million (1.6b views)
#6: JennaMarbles – $4.3 million (1.4b views)
#1: Pewdiepie – $7 million (3.7b views)

Know of these.

Shay was better when he was bigger, but I do laugh at how he interacts with his family
FPSRussia is good for GUNSGUNSEXPLOSIONSGUNS
LonelyIsland because of Andy Samberg, and I've liked their albums
FreddieW is consistently good with his effects.
First learned of Tobuscus from some sort of "celeb" interaction on Planetside 2. Then watched a video and was annoyed. He does stuff on the Annoying Orange tv show, I think.
ERB is usually pretty great. Think I still enjoy the Russian Leaders rap battle the most.
CollegeHumour fits into the "FunnyOrDie" site market.
Annoying Orange is annoying, and it got a TV show...
JennaMarbles because of those damn youtube thumbnails, always drawing me in with beautiful women.
I don't think I've seen a pewdiepie video, but I've seen GAF talk about him. Also, didn't Disney "buy" him or something. I don't know.

The rest, I've never heard of.

I'm kind of surprised to not see Rooster Teeth on this list, but since they probably use Youtube as a portal of their website content, rather than solely on youtube, it doesn't count.

Xion385

Lol

Chop those numbers in half and those are pretty accurate estimates.

But yeah, can't believe I live in a world where sxephil makes more money than doctors, surgeons, bankers, professional athletes, etc. That's probably the single most damning sign for the fate of humanity... Even worse than war, nuclear armament, and disease put together.
Overdramatic much?

I met the guy four times and he's been cool every single time. Oh, internet. Never change.

Fari

Most of these channels seem to be geared towards a fairly young audience.

Doesn't make them any less insufferable to me though.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Never heard of the vast majority of these people and I'm sure I'd want to stab quite a few of them in the throat but good for them regardless. Cant hate getting paid of your own creativity and work. Well for the most part. I'm sure some of these people are dickstains who should be dragged behind a horse naked. But someone like Jenna marbles deserves her success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom