• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 25 Highest Earning Youtube Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where the hell is Daily Grace???

She's too good for it.

tumblr_mbak2ndXL61r7dslf.gif

atomsk

Party Pooper
Can you extrapolate?

Estimating CPM like that is fairly useless. Every ad network is a different, and every CPM is a little different.

They're basing these numbers purely on these raw estimates, when I'm sure all of the top youtube people are doing specific ad campaigns with companies to maximize profit (see: XB1M13), and not just using the standard youtube CPM.

Also, being on a network, as I'm sure all the top people are, that even further dilutes the numbers because Maker, Machinima, etc, they're all taking a cut. So that's even less of the pie that the youtuber is actually getting.

Obviously it's going to vary for the TOP people, but using that as your basis for how much these people are making is not going to be accurate in the least.

I'm sure those channels are making serious bank, but using general CPM estimates is not going to paint a good picture.

And the amount of people using AdBlock, that's a whole different issue entirely

glaurung

Looked up Jenna Marbles. Oh dear lord.

We truly live in an era when ignorance is exalted and intelligence is beaten with a crowbar.

redhood56

Banned
I don't like pewdiepie's content, but he played the game, and he played the game damn well. I recognize most of the channels, but the only one I watch occasionally is Philip Defranco(sxephil).

EDIT: I forgot to mention Vsauce, they are the shit.

Don't understand the Pewdiepie hate. He is an attractive and reasonably likeable guy playing games and just letting his mouth run. What the fuck were you expecting?

Tom Nook

This is an old story but it opened my eyes. Wow.

The Highest Earning Youtube Stars: (estimated annual earnings)

#40: TimothyDeLaGhetto – $1 million (553 million total video views)
#39: SHAYTARDS – $1 million (809m views)
#38: Shane Dawson – $1 million (1 billion views)
#37: TheRadBrad – $1 million (774m views)
#36: ElRubiusOMG – $1.1 million (610m views)
#35: Vsauce – $1.2 million (577 million views)
#34: PrankvsPrank – $1.3 million (638m views)
#33: EpicMealTime – $1.3 million (668m views)
#32: FPSRussia – $1.3 million (600m views)
#31: MichellePhan – $1.3 million (890m views)
#30: TheDiamondMinecart – $1.4 million (400m views)
#29: Potemi926 – $1.6 million (422m views)
#28: Vegetta777 – $1.6 million (586m views)
#27: WhiteBoy7thst – $1.7 million (590m views)
#26: TheLonelyIsland – $1.7 million (1.4 billion views)
#25: Sxephil – $1.7 million (1.2b views)
#24: FreddieW – $1.8 million (980m views)
#23: SpeedyW03 – $2 million (731m views)
#22: TheBajanCanadian – $2 million (574m views)
#21: HolaSoyGerman – $2 million (1.1b views)
#20: TheWillyRex – $2 million (1b views)
#19: Tobuscus – $2 million (940m views)
#18: TheFineBros – $2.2 million (1.4b views)
#17: AdamThomasMoran – $2.2 million (614m views)
#16: SkyDoesMinecraft – $2.3 million (1.7b views)
#15: BoyceAvenue – $2.3 million (1.2b views)
#14: Nigahiga – $2.3 million (1.7b views)
#13: ERB – $2.4 million (893m views)
#12: CaptainSparklez – $3.2 million (1.3b views)
#11: CollegeHumor – $3.3 million (2.3b views)
#10: RealAnnoyingOrange – $3.4 million (1.9b views)
#9: UberHaxorNova – $3.5 million (1.1b views)
#8: RayWilliamJohnson – $4 million (2.6b views)
#7: TobyGames – $4.2 million (1.6b views)
#6: JennaMarbles – $4.3 million (1.4b views)
#5: BluCollection – $4.8 million (1.4b views)
#4: DisneyCollectorBR – $5 million (1.6b views)
#3: Smosh – $5.7 million (3.1b views)
#2: BlueXephos – $6.7 million (2.4b views)
#1: Pewdiepie – $7 million (3.7b views)

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/celebrity/the-25-highest-earning-youtube-stars/

I don't recognized most of them but here are some I do:

#31: MichellePhan – $1.3 million (890m views): Guilty pleasure of mine watching a cute girl putting on make up.

#24: FreddieW – $1.8 million (980m views): Like his "John Woo" type videos.

#18: TheFineBros – $2.2 million (1.4b views): Love the Kids reaction videos.

#5: BluCollection – $4.8 million (1.4b views): I find them relaxing showing themselve playing with toys.

#4: DisneyCollectorBR – $5 million (1.6b views): same as above.

#1: Pewdiepie – $7 million (3.7b views): WTF? Weren't there reports he makes 4mil?

I don't subscribe to the popular guys I guess.

Some of my subs include Rosana Pansino, VitalyZD, skippy62able, Simple Pickup, and Badge of Shame. Then I'm also subscribed to actual companies like Rooster Teeth, Nintendo, The Onion etc.

blakep267

Love his gameplay videos.

"What the fuck Charles?!?!"

Surprised at no Grace Helbig.
Her views went way down when she started her new channel. Plus wasn't her prevUous channel under some other label. So I'm guessing they were getting most of the profits

No but seriously where is she?

I know the name changed to "it's grace" but her not making it on this list makes me uneasy.

My Damn Channel likely took in most of the advertising dollars, which is what hosted her old show. Now that she's separated she could very well make her way on the list in a year or two assuming most of her old viewers re-subscribe. To be honest her new channel has lowered the quality bar slightly but I still love her to death.

EDIT: Or what blake said ^

You Deserve A Drink is my favorite youtube channel right now though. Mamrie Hart deserves to be on television :(

Avinexus

#1: Pewdiepie – $7 million (3.7b views): WTF? Weren't there reports he makes 4mil?

Not reports, he confirmed it himself (unless he was joking). In his AMA on Reddit someone asked him if the $4 million was true or not. He said that it was around what he made in 2013.

I'm in the group that doesn't understand how he became the most popular guy on Youtube though (almost 30 million subscribers? wtf). I've seen a few videos and I don't find him entertaining or funny, he is actually really annoying.

blakep267

My Damn Channel likely took in most of the advertising dollars, which is what hosted her old show. Now that she's separated she could very well make her way on the list in a year or two assuming most of her old viewers re-subscribe. To be honest her new channel has lowered the quality bar slightly but I still love her to death.

EDIT: Or what blake said ^

You Deserve A Drink is my favorite youtube channel right now though. Mamrie Hart deserves to be on television :(
like I tried watching her new channel but it's like she lost her funny. None of her old segments are there, it looks like she's using a shittier camera, just not the same. I think I still subscribe but don't watch her videos

like I tried watching her new channel but it's like she lost her funny. None of her old segments are there, it looks like she's using a shittier camera, just not the same. I think I still subscribe but don't watch her videos

Yeah the humor's not as effortless or sarcastic, I dunno. I miss her cooking segments because her commentary was always just super detached and matter-of-fact, plus the editing was hilarious. it's possible that she wanted to take a more personal style with the new channel since she isn't bound to another party, which makes sense "artistically" but it's obviously not as entertaining as Grace in this sort of "character" she used to put on in her older stuff.

The only ones on this list I watch regularly are The Lonely Island and ERB. Haven't heard of most of them. Good for them for turning this into a career, though. I wonder how accurate these numbers actually are.

PewPieDie simply geared his persona and content to the demographic with the most amount of disposable money and time, tweens. No surprise there. Complaining about him being annoying is like complaining that Nickelodeon shows are annoying, you are not the target audience.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I don't recognize hardly anyone on that list.

I wonder where the likes of Totalbiscuit, Boogie2988, and Ethos rank on the list?

wait wait wait

isn't BlueXephos yogscast? The hell did they need that kickstarter for? They have more than enough to fund their own damn game!

Lothar

Banned
When I watch a video of a game I'm interesting in seeing and it's a PewPieDie video, I have to put it on mute. He has the most annoying personality out of anyone I've ever seen on youtube.

Who would subscribe to him? Why? How can he have more subscriptions than AVGN?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Surprised at smosh being so high up. Wouldn't expect a 7 or so year old YouTube channel to still be relevant.

Wiseblade

Cut down to the ones I have watched videos from of my own free will (Bolded are the ones I subscribe to):

This is an old story but it opened my eyes. Wow.

The Highest Earning Youtube Stars: (estimated annual earnings)

#40: TimothyDeLaGhetto – $1 million (553 million total video views)
#33: EpicMealTime – $1.3 million (668m views)
#32: FPSRussia – $1.3 million (600m views)
#26: TheLonelyIsland – $1.7 million (1.4 billion views)
#25: Sxephil – $1.7 million (1.2b views)
#24: FreddieW – $1.8 million (980m views)
#18: TheFineBros – $2.2 million (1.4b views)
#13: ERB – $2.4 million (893m views)
#11: CollegeHumor – $3.3 million (2.3b views)
#6: JennaMarbles – $4.3 million (1.4b views)

I've heard of most of them, but some on that list I actively avoid.

Nimby

Banned
Don't understand the Pewdiepie hate. He is an attractive and reasonably likeable guy playing games and just letting his mouth run. What the fuck were you expecting?

He is for the tween demographic, first and foremost. I'm not fond of his humor, but he is far from a 'douchebag'. He seems like a nice, charismatic guy, who loves playing games and giving to charity.

MLCodest

Happy for CaptainSparklez, ERB, and The Lonley Island. Enjoyed their stuff at one point or another. I remember when every gave CaptainSparklez crap for switching his name from ProsDontTalkSh*t and saying he'd never get his popularity back. Ha

I'm happy to see that TimothyDeLaGhetto is doign well. I remember him from a while ago. I still catch his videos from time to time.

I remember when he started to make a bit of money, he bought his dad a new mini.

CANNONS TO THE LEFT OF THEM!!

First thing that popped in my head...

I like some of pewdiepie's videos, plus he has raised over 1 million for charity. I love prankvsprank's vlogs and prank videos. One of my favorites that's not on the list is Wreckless Eating.

spliced

I don't know many of these people so I watched a few:

Smosh and JennaMarbles just seem like average people doing random stuff, JM has a potty mouth.
DisneyCollectorBR and BluCollection are toy demonstration for little kids.
BlueXephos is just some guys plays games together, it's like watching a reality tv show about people playing games.
Sxephil is some kind of topical entertainment/news wrap up show.

That's the impression I got from the tiny amounts I watched. I can't say any of them were that appealing for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom