• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 PS4 gameplay

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Looked meh in day time through the city. Pop in is pretty bad and the lighting is so bland. A little better during night but still not great.

Portugeezer

Maybe Infamous makes everything look bad, or maybe that just looked bad... graphically anyway.

I like the new swinging mechanic.

Flipyap

I get that they're trying to attract people who champion Spider-Man 2: The Movie: The Video Game to this day, but mapping web swinging to both triggers makes for one wasteful control scheme. Web of Shadows let you choose which side you want to attach to by simply moving the stick in that direction, the only thing it lost by doing it this way was the useless slingshot ability.

Van Owen

Banned
Hate how loose and floaty everything looks, especially when he lands after swinging. Those suits looked nice though.

I really wish they'd ditch the movie stuff and do original games like Arkham.

Waaaaay too much pop-in for what looks like an outdated city, visually.

The combat doesn't look very good either. Another "Press Y or Triangle to counter when enemy lights up" system? Why do developers do this?

because the ability to sense and counter an attacking enemy makes way more sense in a Spider-Man game than a Batman one?

looks fun. I haven't play spider-man game since spiderman 3 I think, the one with the horrendously bad peter parker model. enough that I can't bring myself to beat it. the last one that I enjoy is Ultimate Spider-man, and that's mostly because I'm a big fan of the Ultimate Spider-man comic

SJRB

Gold Member
So eh.. do I have to take the bus to get across town as Peter Parker or what?

I liked the previous game and played it quite a lot, but this one doesn't look as much an improvement as I was hoping from a next-gen version.

Nymphae

Banned
Fuckin eh.

Didn't even know a new spidey game was being made. I saw a clip of it on EP Daily yesterday, and was instantly sold.

I will buy the shittiest Spiderman games if it looks like the web swinging is going to be fun. Day 1 for me (even though I'm still pissed about the Canadian game price hike.)

the swinging looks ok...

i just don't wanna play video games made to advertise movies. i never have, i never will. they always have this rushed, uninspired coat of paint over them.

Lucifon

For a city which looks so dead that pop-in is crazy. Visually though the game looks surprisingly good in spots. Swinging looks pretty fun.

Also i hate the new web slinging, who cares if he was swinging from the sky in the first game?, it was fun but now you have to pick buildings to swing from and i there are no buildings nearby then you're can't swing. It doesn't sound fun.

But there are buildings everywhere!
I thought it looked great (pop up aside). Still, I would be cautious of judging gameplay based off Youtube videos, you need to see what it is like 'controller in hand', so to speak. Hope they have a demo.

Jagsrock

Banned
Looks fun to me. It's not any better graphically than the last game but gameplay looks good. I like the new web swinging for sure.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The swinging mechanics look like a lot of fun but I'm sure it'll be a bog standard open world experience. Would prefer to see those mechanics applied to a more linear level by level game with challenges created around those mechanics.

Nymphae

Banned
The air dash move he does where you can gain some forward momentum in the air without using webswings looks very cool. Not sure how that is explained with regards to his powers, but I don't really give a shit.

I know a lot of people hated the fact that you would swing from nothing in the first game but I liked it. Watching this makes it seem like swinging high above the city isn't possible, something I loved to do, enjoying the view.

aLQqjXn.png

I guess Aunt May never cleans Peter's room

I will pick this up for $30 or less but man that pop-in is fucking atrocious. How can it be that bad and them want to show it off?

Ahasverus

2006 graphics, 2002 city. Amazing Spiderman 1 had better lighting. For some reason.
I hate Activision so much at times.

Nymphae

Banned
The swinging mechanics look like a lot of fun but I'm sure it'll be a bog standard open world experience. Would prefer to see those mechanics applied to a more linear level by level game with challenges created around those mechanics.

I'll take open world web-swinging any day. I've spent more hours in SM2 for PS2 simply swinging around, with absolutely zero goals, than I have most games in the last 5 years.

The first spider man game for PS2 was kind of what you're describing, it had rudimentary swing mechanics, and the levels were mostly linear affairs, and it just wasn't that fun. When swinging isn't a major focus, the focus shifts to combat and interior levels, which just isn't what's fun about SM, to me anyway.

I know a lot of people hated the fact that you would swing from nothing in the first game but I liked it. Watching this makes it seem like swinging high above the city isn't possible, something I loved to do, enjoying the view.

It shouldn't be possible. I love the fact that you have to use the world to get around, you know, like Spidey would. You get a better sense of mass and momentum, and you actually have to think about your trajectory.

What are the odds that all of the costumes are unlockable in-game and not dlc/pre-order bonuses?

Anyway, the swinging mechanics look pretty great, but I think I'll wait for a price drop.

Effect

It's exactly what made Spiderman 2 so incredibly popular among enthusiasts. So yes, it was exceedingly more fun than just swinging on the sky.

Exactly. Of all the things in a Spider-man game like this swinging from the sky and not buildings can take you out of the game. It's the signature aspect of his mode of travel. If you aren't going to do that right then don't have it open world like this. That's like having Batman in the Arkham games or Link in the Zelda games hookshot into the sky and not actual locations around them to get to higher places.

This looks like a lot of fun. I hope at least the Wii U version looks decent as that's the one I'll be getting.

Gameplay looks pretty fun. (Spidey ftw) GAFs pop-in senses are tingling.

Graphically this looks so awkward after just finishing a session of infamous. The environments here look so uninspired.

Ahasverus

You could believe that after 12 years of reusing the same city assets Activision could add one or two more borroughs of New York. But noooo.

Fugly as hell but I suppose having "actual" swinging again is cool.

Web Rush seems lazy, though. In Saints Row 4 (on PC at least) you could fly around fast as hell and still land where you wanted to with stunning precision.

Top Bottom