• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 PS4 gameplay

cacildo

Say what you will about Web of Shadows, but it had decent combat and it wasn't tied to a movie.

iTp3Ck73c6xc3.gif

Yeah, but the good ideas at combat were repeted ad infinitum. I made this move on the gif one billion times, it was incredibly easy and necessary all the time. It isnt fun at all

Pre-ordering this. Enjoyed ASM1 and this looks like an improvement, graphically it's so disappointing though. After playing inFamous this games graphics are gonna be a hard pill to swallow.

Elija2

Did Spidey's webs not attach to buildings in the first ASM game? That's kinda sad, although they didn't attach to buildings in Web of Shadows either so Treyarch managed to fuck it up too.

The city does look pretty bad for a PS4 game. Why is there so much popup in a current-gen game? Still, I'm hopeful that the game is good. If it isn't, I guess I'll be waiting for the ASM3 game.

Spinluck

i like how this game is being compared to infamous.

1. infamous isn't cross gen.

2. sucker punch doesn't have to dish out movie games every two years.

gaf hyperbole at its best.

now, of course sp is a far more talented studio, and they aren't being ran by activision. i would like to see them make a spidey game. i would like actual physics to my web swinging though, and much better animations to boot. everything feels to weightless, spider-man 2's swinging was great because of that sense of velocity and the turbo mechanic which needs to return.

also peter parker is an important part of spidey? the hell? a peter parker mode is long overdue. the trick is making it fun, which is totally doable if you get creative enough with the source material.

Beenox is obviously trying to borrow from the Arkham Games(which is a good thing)
atleast the costumes have different abilities this time
though will Cosmic basic be god mode since thats what it was in the comics?
edit:i like stealth mechanics cause its fun to make my enemies shit their pants =P

Omega

Banned
Why does spider sense look like detective mode in Batman?

I thought spider sense only let him know there was imminent danger, not allow him to see everyone in the area?

Looks good aside from that and the PS2 era pop ins, so I'll get, but not for $60. Probably wait for it to be $40

now, of course sp is a far more talented studio, and they aren't being ran by activision. i would like to see them make a spidey game. i would like actual physics to my web swinging though, and much better animations to boot. everything feels to weightless, spider-man 2's swinging was great because of that sense of velocity and the turbo mechanic which needs to return.

also peter parker is an important part of spidey? the hell? a peter parker mode is long overdue. the trick is making it fun, which is totally doable if you get creative enough with the source material.

I don't think anyone here expected it to look like inFamous, people are just saying that after playing that, this looks worse now.

Courage

Looks pretty good, and I don't know if I should be laughing at the blatant ripoff of some of Arkham's mechanics, because they seem to work well. Is the first one any good?

VanWinkle

Even with that in mind, I'm still shocked by how bad it looks on PS4.

Why does spider sense look like detective mode in Batman?

I thought spider sense only let him know there was imminent danger, not allow him to see everyone in the area?

Looks good aside from that and the PS2 era pop ins, so I'll get, but not for $60. Probably wait for it to be $40

game is 50 not 60
atleast according to Gamestop site

Flipyap

Did Spidey's webs not attach to buildings in the first ASM game? That's kinda sad, although they didn't attach to buildings in Web of Shadows either so Treyarch managed to fuck it up too.
They definitely attached to buildings in Web of Shadows, you could even choose which building they were going to attach to. You had to look for issues to notice that sometimes they attached maybe a meter above a building or a tree, but that's a graphical quirk of a rushed game and not the same thing as swinging on clouds.

Pavaloo

WOW, it took ten fucking years but we FINALLY have another Spider-Man game with competent swinging.

Hopefully the rest of the game hasn't suffered, but you know how little time they get on these games.

Hey now that they have the swinging down though (fucking finally, again) maybe it will lay the groundwork down for future titles?

Vitor711

WOW, it took ten fucking years but we FINALLY have another Spider-Man game with competent swinging.

Hopefully the rest of the game hasn't suffered, but you know how little time they get on these games.

Hey now that they have the swinging down though (fucking finally, again) maybe it will lay the groundwork down for future titles?

Eh, the groundwork for this game was laid down in the first Amazing Spiderman about two years ago. And it really looks like they've added almost nothing to this, except for the improved swinging.

The Arkham 'inspired' combat still seems a little off and the fact that they have separate levels for story missions is a bummer. Just use the world you've created. If you're going to put all this effort in adding swinging mechanics - make them an integral part of the story, not just for A to B traversal.

I want missions set in the city, not sectioned off.

Spinluck

I don't think anyone here expected it to look like inFamous, people are just saying that after playing that, this looks worse now.

Even with that in mind, I'm still shocked by how bad it looks on PS4.

visually it most definitely is lacking, i don't know what the deal is there. it honestly looks like a bad last gen port.

my point was some of the infamous comparisons are dumb lol, there's not a better looking open world game on consoles than that game.

I have played every Spider-Man game since the first movie one way back in 2002 (except the sequel to shattered dimensions, whose name escapes me right now), and while I have rented the majority of them, I'll probably break down and end up buying this one. I just can't NOT support the return of competent web swinging.

The rest of the game looks really rough. I don't care so much about the graphics and pop-in, but the city looks bland and familiar, playing as Peter seems awful, and the combat looks like a worse version of what is in the Arkham games.

Still, alt costumes and good web swinging. I can't say no to that, because I'm a sucker (punch, or whatever joke I'm supposed to make here)

esterk

Good swinging and bringing back flexible stealth takedowns makes me happy. Pop ins look like crap and I'm not really thrilled about playing as Parker.

Fuck I'll still buy

Spinluck

Looks pretty good, and I don't know if I should be laughing at the blatant ripoff of some of Arkham's mechanics, because they seem to work well. Is the first one any good?

they should just build on the spider-man 2 mechanics. that game was almost perfect traversal mechanic wise. turbo run, climb, swing, and long jump. top that off with momentum swinging, with a real sense of velocity. the weightless swinging in TASM was awful, and it looks to be back, albeit improved.

the combat looks like an arkham rip off, which allows for cool stealth takedowns and fighting animations. but spider-man 2's combat was fine, even though it had its issues. still.. if they continued to build off of that, we'd probably have a fully functional and unique combat system. :-/

web rush should be redone a bit to make you somehow work to get places more often. while keeping the concept of the environment around spidey being very accessible to him.

Theecliff

Banned
Not particularly nice looking, but looks like decent fun. Thank god they brought back webs sticking to buildings again.

After having skipped most Spider-Man games this past generation, I might jump in when it's cheaper.

Some pop-up, aliasing, and semi-barren city...

SO WHAT?

Looks really good, to be honest. The swinging mechanics look extremely well done, the combat reminds me of a super-hero version of the Arkham system, and overall seems like a fun time. Gimme!

mrpeabody

Looks like an Arkham game with worse graphics. Whoosh through the air to get places, fight a bunch of guys in a box. Inverted stealth takedowns. Little lightning bolts that tell you when you're about to get hit.

Beenox is really lucky this is coming out in a month so it won't have to go up against the real thing in October.

It doesn't look awful, but at the same time it's weird to have so many batman parallels when spidey isn't really about sneaking so much.

Ideally, we'd have a spider-man game with the combat of web of shadows, the swinging from spider-man 2, and the plot and universe integration of ultimate spider-man.

Comparing this to SM2 when all that game really had going for it was the swinging and the post-game side missions is lol when this game looks to have the same shit and more

Comparing this to inFamous, a purely next-gen game for one console when this one is cross-gen and cross-platform, is fucking hilarious

Effect

I do think the comparisons to Infamous are unfair. That's a pure PS4 game. Since when was it okay to compare and knock multiplatform games for not living up to the quality of platform exclusives. Especially first party platform exclusives?

Nvzman

The graphics look pretty meh (not bad, not good), but the gameplay looks like a MASSIVE improvement over The Amazing Spider-Man, which is good because I personally think The Amazing Spider-Man did everything better than Spider-Man 2 except the webswinging. However, this time it looks like it may take over Spider-Man 2 as my personal favorite Spider-Man game. The level they showed off looks really good.
To me the brown-ness of the city gives me this noir-style feeling (especially considering the game has investigations as Peter Parker).

rdrr gnr

And what's with everyone shitting on Beenox? You know how Activision does. Give a dev only a short amount of dev time to make a AAA game and this is what you get even with a talented developer. Look at what happened when High Moon was forced to shit out Deadpool and Dark Of the Moon.

EDIT: Sucker Punch hasn't shown they can make a superhero game with a combat system that isn't just shooting stuff. If you want a Spider-man TPS with boring side missions and a 3 hit melee system then they are the ones to call.
Yes, but if SP did it, maybe just maybe they would be able to outdo a game that is a decade old. Activision is abominable when comes to the creative side of things, but this game will surely be shit like every other Beenox title.

Wow, this looks great!
This looks like a good time.

I'm assuming that there will be a lot more costumes to choose from, which would be cool. I'll stick to the Miles costume for a while, though.

Mariolee

The web mechanics look incredibly improved but it definitely looks like the studio didn't have enough time to build the city they wanted in order to hit the film's release date. What a shame. :(

to be fair, what are you really expecting out of the city? In the end, it's always going to be NYC with a few tweaks here and there. The fact that we can go to Queens is alone a good sign, since in the past it's always been Manhattan or bust.

I'll be shocked if we can go to the Statue of Liberty again, which hasn't been a thing since at least SM2 (could've been in SM3 but I never played it)

to be fair, what are you really expecting out of the city? In the end, it's always going to be NYC with a few tweaks here and there. The fact that we can go to Queens is alone a good sign, since in the past it's always been Manhattan or bust.

I'll be shocked if we can go to the Statue of Liberty again, which hasn't been a thing since at least SM2 (could've been in SM3 but I never played it)

I thought they said this was only Manhattan again, the city is just as big as the last one.

Top Bottom