• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 PS4 gameplay

I thought they said this was only Manhattan again, the city is just as big as the last one.

well the dev video shows that you can go to Aunt May's house, which is in Queens, so I suppose it could be a "loading screen -> you're magically at Aunt May's house" kind of thing, but I hope not

O.k. just noticed that the footage of the web swinging is the exact same as from the initial reveal of the game from a few months back.

Just they only showed snippets of this footage back then, now they seem to be showing off the whole thing.

This is probably an old build & probably not even running on a PS4.

well the dev video shows that you can go to Aunt May's house, which is in Queens, so I suppose it could be a "loading screen -> you're magically at Aunt May's house" kind of thing, but I hope not

I think that's how it's gonna work, unless they relocate Aunt May's house in the game world to somewhere in Manhattan. I hope I'm wrong though and Queens is indeed in there.

O.k. just noticed that the footage of the web swinging is the exact same as from the initial reveal of the game from a few months back.

Just they only showed snippets of this footage back then, now they seem to be showing off the whole thing.

It probably is an old build, I think they said they had a walkthrough video a while ago, they were just waiting for marketing to distribute it. It will probably be improved, but I don't know by how much.

I think that's how it's gonna work, unless they relocate Aunt May's house in the game world to somewhere in Manhattan. I hope I'm wrong though and Queens is indeed in there.

well Ultimate SM managed to include a small chunk of Queens so that you could go to Aunt May's, so hopefully it's something like that

Frosted

I wish they would of done something like Crackdown but with Spiderman. The city in Crackdown was very alive. That's an amazing last Gen Gem.

I wish they would of done something like Crackdown but with Spiderman. The city in Crackdown was very alive. That's an amazing last Gen Gem.

I would kill for a Spider-Man game with a mission setup like Crackdown. Instead of a linear story, you can go and beat up whatever villain you feel like in whatever order

Really bad pop-in, hopefully it's better in the final release. Looks good, though. The last Amazing Spider-Man game was alright, a solid 7/10, so hopefully this is an improvement.
Agree with this, I had fun with ASM for what its worth, but it sure felt lacking here and there.

Now from what I saw ASM2 seems to be a step up, not a huge leap though, yet still, the swinging mechanics look absolutely RAD, and I think they may have tweaked the combat, I certainly hope they did, they need to get more Batman Gameplay in there, cause it was too damn simple in the first ASM.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
That looks really bad. The combat looks bland and uninspired not to mention unresponsive. The city looks washed out with a ton of pop-in. Web-mechanics seem to be the only fun thing about this game. It's a shame that Sony can't have the Spider-Man license for games as well. So that we can have a real Spider-Man game by a developer like Sucker Punch.

Daschysta

I know a lot of people hated the fact that you would swing from nothing in the first game but I liked it. Watching this makes it seem like swinging high above the city isn't possible, something I loved to do, enjoying the view.
I'll cross my fingers for a good superman or Iron man game if I want to fly way above the city as a superhero

Eh, the groundwork for this game was laid down in the first Amazing Spiderman about two years ago. And it really looks like they've added almost nothing to this, except for the improved swinging.

The Arkham 'inspired' combat still seems a little off and the fact that they have separate levels for story missions is a bummer. Just use the world you've created. If you're going to put all this effort in adding swinging mechanics - make them an integral part of the story, not just for A to B traversal.

I want missions set in the city, not sectioned off.

They said in an interview recently (or a preview) that they are doing more missions that take advantage of the city.

Yeah, that footage at the very beginning of Spidey swinging below that really small tunnel was also in the snippet footage Rev3games had a few days ago, which was stated by Beenox to be Xbox 360 footage. Who knows what the current build really looks like.

Nev

Banned
The city looks dreadful, like it is in alpha, and the stealth/combat sections look like a poor man's Arkham. Swinging looks Spider-Man 2 levels of fun at least.

They couldnt even get the likeness of the Actor that plays Peter Parker in the movie, the fuck...

That's actually the best part of the whole thing. Even Random Young Dude is a better Spider-Man that the one I won't even mention. I want to watch the first movie, but everytime I remember who is Spider-Man I just can't.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
The swinging looks fun, but everything else looks like typical Activision trash.

I tend to avoid giving Activision my money, but I'm a sucker for Spider-Man, and always end up caving and buying them when they release.

I'm a Sad Panda that I'm going to be giving Activision my hard earned cash for this and Destiny this year. I just want a good Spider-Man game. I'd probably literally kill something to get a Spider-Man game developed by Sucker Punch...

Atruvius

I thought Activision had lost the Marvel license so how come Activision is publishing this? The Web swinging looks really good, might even buy the game because it and I haven't played a spidey game since Spiderman 2 on PS2.

R&D

Banned
Doesn't look very good visually but I really like what they did with the mechanics. The web swinging and the stealth aspects seem strong. Shame the city is lifeless.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Well I am impress it's looking to be a great Spider-Man game and I can't wait to play it.

It's a shame that Sony can't have the Spider-Man license for games as well.

And thank god for that because I don't want the Spider-Man games to be Sony exclusive.

I thought Activision had lost the Marvel license so how come Activision is publishing this?

I think this is Activision last Spider-Man movie license games as it's due to run out soon.

yeah, I really hope this is Activision's last Spidey game, even if Beenox does end up doing a good job

But what if Disney sells the whole Marvel game license to one company like they did with Star Wars? The situation could end up even worse.

I wish Marvel would give the license out to whomever like Games Workshop does with Warhammer. Then, we'd finally start getting some grade-A Spider-man games from developers who actually want to work on them.

alterno69

Banned
The sclae is what bothers me the most, when swinging trhough the streets he looks huuuge, the cars and streets look tiny, looks awful.

Doesn't look that much better than Web of Shadows.

Still, gameplay looks interesting enough and I quite like the idea of playing as Parker as well as Spidy.

jblank83

The sclae is what bothers me the most, when swinging trhough the streets he looks huuuge, the cars and streets look tiny, looks awful.

Because the camera is right behind him, and far away from the cars? I mean, there are segments of the video where when he drops down to street level that the scale is obviously correct.

Toadette

Banned
like all spider-man games bargain bin confirmed

remember spiderman 2 yeah me to amazing game

except for shattered dimensions

I like the swinging but come on, if you expect people to buy this at full price on PS4 and Xbox One then at least put some effort in, especially in the visual department, they are toilet.

Elija2

They definitely attached to buildings in Web of Shadows, you could even choose which building they were going to attach to. You had to look for issues to notice that sometimes they attached maybe a meter above a building or a tree, but that's a graphical quirk of a rushed game and not the same thing as swinging on clouds.

I played the Wii version and webs definitely attached to the air most of the time. The game still behaved like you could only swing with buildings nearby but the webs still stuck to the air with a good distance between the web and the building. Maybe the HD versions are different.

God bless the batman games but still this fucking button prompt counter system doesn't need to be in everything

All I saw in that footage from the Inverted takedowns to swinging to spots directly was an Arkham city mod

Spider-man deserves better than a reskin of another game. God damn I still remember how fun the prior movie games were

Spider-man games probably had all this for ages but I dunno, just looks stale

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The swinging looks bad, especially when he goes through that little tunnel.
I mean it's nice that they got rid of the worst bullshit from recent games, like swinging across Central Park, but this isn't even close to what people were asking for.

G-Fex

God bless the batman games but still this fucking button prompt counter system doesn't need to be in everything

All I saw in that footage from the Inverted takedowns to swinging to spots directly was an Arkham city mod

Spider-man deserves better than a reskin of another game. God damn I still remember how fun the prior movie games were

if something works for one game then it obviously has to work for this other game. I refer to it now a days as the call of duty method of design.

Spider-Man games had that countering long before Arkham.

Hell, it was in the comics before video games existed. It's spider-sense. In the comics, he would get a visual indicator over his head when danger was imminent.

As long as the swinging feels good, they're like 40% of the way to a good Spider-Man game. Hard to tell if they've really got it down considering this only showed very basic swinging with no tricks, or slingshots, or double web lines or anything. That other 60% of the game though...........we'll see.

I really dislike that every dev seems to go with "baked NYC" drowned in that weak brown-orange hue that makes everything look boring. Too many earth tones. Then at the street level it's MUCH too bland and makes it look like Spidey's swinging through a hallway. The nighttime footage at the end gives me hope that the game has a bigger palette than normal.

That has to be some of the most noticeable pop-in I've seen in a game in a long time. Jeez. I gave up on Beenox's Spider-Man games after an hour or two of Edge of Time when I realized they weren't going to make a good one. It's been so long since I played one I liked. Hopefully they get more time to make the nest one as good as Spidey deserves.

Oh, no, it'll be tied to Amazing Spider-Man 3 and the rest of the yearly movies.

This game seems like a "be careful what you wish for" kinda game

Every improvement is directly what people have been asking for on this forum. But with limited time as a movie tie-in, something else had to suffer and thats the graphics.

Top Bottom