• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Apple iPad | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh I hate you guys!!! now I have to spend money on this thing :(

one thing I noticed about myself I hate when I see just a little dust or finger print on my macbook screen. How in the hell do you keep this screen clean? Oily finger prints shudder

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Shogmaster said:
Remember that question/supposition I made in the previous thread about iPhone tethering? I guess we have the answer.
Steve is NOT resonable

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/05/hey-steve-can-the-ipad-tether-with-the-iphone/

Um, my guess is he means now/at launch, since AT&T hasn't flipped the switch yet. Can't the iPhone, elsewhere in the world, tether by creating a hot spot? If so, why would the iPad know/care about what started the network?

*shrug*

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Charred Greyface said:
Any word on all the US distribution outlets for the iPad? I'd rather preorder it from Amazon and skip paying the tax. What about Education or Developer discounts?

SILENCE! THIS THREAD IS NOW ABOUT THE HEADPHONE UNIVERSAL IR REMOTE!

Norante said:
Jailbreak that sucker, son.
Oh, day one for me. I only need it for one or two functions, so I don't care about official updates. I just thought it was beyond reasonable and sensible to have iPhone owners be able to tether via their 3G plans.

Tobor

Shogmaster said:
Oh, day one for me. I only need it for one or two functions, so I don't care about official updates. I just thought it was beyond reasonable and sensible to have iPhone owners be able to tether via their 3G plans.
When AT&T turns on tethering, it'll be an additional $30 a month anyway.

numble

Can an Android phone operate as a hotspot? Using some cheaper network with an Android phone + wifi iPad might be the cheapest bet.

Zzoram

I want an iPad for web browsing around the house, but not for $500 (at the low end!) if it can't even run Flash web content or run desktop applications.

When the 2nd generation offers a $300 or $400 model with a frontfacing camera for video chat, I'll probably buy it.

DarkJC

SnakeXs said:
Um, my guess is he means now/at launch, since AT&T hasn't flipped the switch yet. Can't the iPhone, elsewhere in the world, tether by creating a hot spot? If so, why would the iPad know/care about what started the network?

*shrug*

No, the built in tethering on the iPhone doesn't create a hotspot. It's via bluetooth or USB, meaning the device that you're tethering the iPhone to has to support a tethered connection via bluetooth or USB. So it could very well be that they haven't added support for this to the iPad.

Going to pick up the 32GB WiFi only model a couple months after launch, waiting for potential price cuts and see how the rumor mill about new models goes.

Can't wait to finally hold a big hot throbbing one in my hands though.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
numble said:
Can an Android phone operate as a hotspot? Using some cheaper network with an Android phone + wifi iPad might be the cheapest bet.
If you can root it, ya. Not sure if there's an app to do it without rooting though.

Not in the market for one now, but would like to see where it goes.

If this is a success I'd imagine these tablets would be sick in the next upcoming years.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
aswedc said:
I don't know about that...

I don't know of any head to head x86 to ARM benchmarks out there, but a search says a Nexus One can hit 13,859ms on SunSpider. A 1.6Ghz Atom pulls off 4,445ms, and a modern desktop or laptop processor is well below 1,000ms.

I think I would pass on video editing on the iPad.

I don't think Jill Sandwich is thinking about video editing directly on the iPad, more using the iPad like an interactive secondary monitor, with tools palettes etc on it.

SnakeXs said:
AirVideo can transcode/stream things from your home computer, so that's something. Natively? What everyone else said.

I love air video. If the iPad brings file sharing, I'd like them to add the ability to transfer transcoded movies directly to the iPad over wifi. That'd remove pretty much the only reason I still dig out itunes (my podcasts and apps are all downloaded directly to my ipod touch)

I'd back support for the web app on iPad. Either as a paid app with some money going to the author and some to neogaf to pay for no-ads or just support the site, or a free version with banner ads, providing we can keep the overall browsing experience.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Seriously - combining this with Netflix and Tivo apps, as well as controlling all my shit, is pretty radical. I wonder if they will solve the PS3 Bluetooth problem. I am not paying $50 for the stupid Harmony dongle. But it will work out of the box on 360.

Eh what? You'll pay $49 for an iPad dongle but not money for the Harmony dongle? Absolutely love my Harmony dongle. Paid $35 for it on sale and now it just hides and EVERYTHING works with my Harmony.

entrement said:
Welcome to the crappy world of American cell phone companies.
I pay $33/month for 500 min anytime talk, unlimited text and data. Also, my WinMo phone don't care if I tether all day. And Sprint can't tell unless I go stupid with bandwidth per month.

Tobor

Shogmaster said:
I pay $33/month for 500 min anytime talk, unlimited text and data. Also, my WinMo phone don't care if I tether all day. And Sprint can't tell unless I go stupid with bandwidth per month.
That sounds great, but I'd rather not have tethering, pay $70 a month, and not use a Winmo phone. ;)

I know, I know, I'm defending Apple, but trust me, when or if they make a decision that actually effects me in my daily usage and habits, I'll complain.

Why isnt that awesome Panelfly Comic app available in Australia.... I didnt even know I wanted it until I saw it, now I cant be without it.... Damn those imaginary borders on our tiny little planet....

Stinkles

Marty Chinn said:
Eh what? You'll pay $49 for an iPad dongle but not money for the Harmony dongle? Absolutely love my Harmony dongle. Paid $35 for it on sale and now it just hides and EVERYTHING works with my Harmony.

I already spent $150 on my harmony remote. Adding another $50 to the investment is not really on. That's $30 more than the PS3 remote control (which I already have). To control a single device. $50 for the iPod thing gives me amazing control over everything except the PS3. That's crazy. I'd rather wait and hope they solve it.

I already have an iPod Touch - it will DESTROY the Harmony - especially since it will have Netflix and Tivo scheduling built-in. As well as a better TV guide.

Also - is there an existing stylus solution for the iPad?

OuterWorldVoice said:
I already spent $150 on my harmony remote. Adding another $50 to the investment is not really on. That's $30 more than the PS3 remote control (which I already have). To control a single device. $50 for the iPod thing gives me amazing control over everything except the PS3. That's crazy. I'd rather wait and hope they solve it.

I already have an iPod Touch - it will DESTROY the Harmony - especially since it will have Netflix and Tivo scheduling built-in. As well as a better TV guide.

Also - is there an existing stylus solution for the iPad?

Again, eh? Why would yo buy an iPad dongle and not the Harmony dongle at this point? Either way the net cost is about the same. You're already invested with the Harmony remote and you're already willing to shell more money out. I just don't see why you don't get the Harmony dongle and just be done with it. Ya it sorta sucks that you have to but good god does it work amazingly well and even with the iPad, you'll still need an IR->Bluetooth solution in some capacity which is going to cost money. The Harmony version of it just happens to be by far the cheapest solution compared to what he others ones cost to.

In my opinion the Harmony solution will be the better option too because of how mature the software is, the vast database of codes, and how well it handles activities. Not to mention how much better a tacticle remote will be over a touch screen for general usage because who wants to look down at their remote every time they want to use it? I used to want an old Philips Pronto $600 remote back in the day because it was all flashy and you could program the screen interface but then I played with one and realized how much it sucked that I couldn't feel anything.

Stinkles

Marty Chinn said:
Again, eh? Why would yo buy an iPad dongle and not the Harmony dongle at this point? Either way the net cost is about the same. You're already invested with the Harmony remote and you're already willing to shell more money out. I just don't see why you don't get the Harmony dongle and just be done with it. Ya it sorta sucks that you have to but good god does it work amazingly well and even with the iPad, you'll still need an IR->Bluetooth solution in some capacity which is going to cost money. The Harmony version of it just happens to be by far the cheapest solution compared to what he others ones cost to.

In my opinion the Harmony solution will be the better option too because of how mature the software is, the vast database of codes, and how well it handles activities. Not to mention how much better a tacticle remote will be over a touch screen for general usage because who wants to look down at their remote every time they want to use it? I used to want an old Philips Pronto $600 remote back in the day because it was all flashy and you could program the screen interface but then I played with one and realized how much it sucked that I couldn't feel anything.

Well my situation is a bit different too. The Harmony is downstairs in the "theater" and the PS3 is the DVD player in the family room. It plays a lot of Dora the Explorer. And that's ignoring the fact that the wife has an iPod too. And again for me, Netflix and Tivo integration via the intarwebs are way bigger tan the other considerations.

And do you know if there's a capacitive (or whatever it needs to be) stylus?

Stinkles

Tobor said:
Google down for you, bro? ;)

I guess I was looking for experiences rather than examples. As in, "yes it's accurate enough for precise-ish doodles and doesn't feel weird."

OuterWorldVoice said:
I guess I was looking for experiences rather than examples. As in, "yes it's accurate enough for precise-ish doodles and doesn't feel weird."
Messageboard propriety insists that an additional unhelpful link be posted.

link

Sorry, couldn't find a vegan option.

Terrell

Just found this mock-up on the Beejive forums, felt like sharing. Totally looking forward to iPad having one-window interface solutions after seeing this.

b67d5b38.jpg

LCfiner

Terrell said:
Just found this mock-up on the Beejive forums, felt like sharing. Totally looking forward to iPad having one-window interface solutions after seeing this.

file.php

quite nice.

don’t be surprised if a webkit browser pane ends up in a lot of these IM, VOIP and Social networking apps to get around the lack of 3rd party background processes. there’s certainly enough screen space to pull it off.

Terrell

LCfiner said:
quite nice.

don’t be surprised if a webkit browser pane ends up in a lot of these IM, VOIP and Social networking apps to get around the lack of 3rd party background processes. there’s certainly enough screen space to pull it off.
I dunno... considering that most social networking apps offer push notifications to allow for quick app switching and iPad can launch an app pretty quick, it seems a bit useless to do that. Delivery Status touch does that, and it's just annoying. But maybe that's just me.

LCfiner

Terrell said:
I dunno... considering that most social networking apps offer push notifications to allow for quick app switching and iPad can launch an app pretty quick, it seems a bit useless to do that. Delivery Status touch does that, and it's just annoying. But maybe that's just me.

I think the effort to integrate the webkit view isn’t huge so it could be a view option for these apps to have without sacrificing the conversation view.

the screen is big enough to, say, have a pane with your friends asking about movie times for later that night and then another pane with a local movie theatre website open. no need to switch back and forth between apps.

Zzoram

giga said:
More like a waste of pixels for a simulator.

I imagine that the border around the screen is for you to hold onto without accidentally trigger the touch screen.

The iPhone/iTouch are small enough that you can cup it with 1 hand without touching the screen, but the iPad is too big to hold in the same way. You will need a pinch grip to hold the iPad, and the border space allows for that.

Zzoram

Spriig said:
Just out of curiosity, how long did it take for the iPhone to get Jailbroken?

Not sure, but unless Jailbreaking results in a Flash compatible browsing experience, I don't see the point.

mrkgoo

Zzoram said:
I imagine that the border around the screen is for you to hold onto without accidentally trigger the touch screen.

The iPhone/iTouch are small enough that you can cup it with 1 hand without touching the screen, but the iPad is too big to hold in the same way. You will need a pinch grip to hold the iPad, and the border space allows for that.

I imagine it's not just that, but that a lot of the electronics are pushed out to the edge, to make it thinner.

I doubt it's just empty hollowness under the bezel.

Terrell

LCfiner said:
I think the effort to integrate the webkit view isn’t huge so it could be a view option for these apps to have without sacrificing the conversation view.

the screen is big enough to, say, have a pane with your friends asking about movie times for later that night and then another pane with a local movie theatre website open. no need to switch back and forth between apps.
But it's also one more thing to bloat code and require updates for if it falls apart. I see your point and the potential utility for it, but if all the impressions are to be believed, switching apps on an iPad is super-fast and really negates the need to do everything in one app. I mean, if it takes less than one or two seconds to switch apps, why pad your code so that more can go wrong with it and require more upkeep?

LCfiner

Terrell said:
But it's also one more thing to bloat code and require updates for if it falls apart. I see your point and the potential utility for it, but if all the impressions are to be believed, switching apps on an iPad is super-fast and really negates the need to do everything in one app. I mean, if it takes less than one or two seconds to switch apps, why pad your code so that more can go wrong with it and require more upkeep?

eh, there’s already a ton of apps that have built in webkit viewers on the iPhone. the precedent is already there. this is just a natural evolution of the concept.

on the iPhone: webkit view replaces twitter stream or RSS feed.

on the iPad: webkit view slides into ⅔ of screen to show content. feed view can remain on screen with option to dismiss. o it can be a popover view in portrait mode.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Zzoram said:
Not sure, but unless Jailbreaking results in a Flash compatible browsing experience, I don't see the point.

How about adding tethering? Or multitasking, custom themes, homebrew games/apps, UI customization, on and on? Jailbreaking opens up the iPhone in tons of different ways.

Juice

I was pretty impressed by the Oscar ad. Absolutely buying one day one to test my app before I put it out.

Raistlin

Zzoram said:

There are tons of compelling reasons beyond just Flash.

Nice ad! Good to see the marketing starting to go into gear. It also did a good job of showing how things are different between this and an iPhone. Can't wait for the 3rd of April.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Was the interface speed a bit bullshotted?

I don't recall the interface speed being THAT smooth. Good ad, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom