• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Bar For Cutscenes Has Once Again Risen, Thanks To Phoenix Games...

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I think the best part is when you see all the animals cheering but all you hear is one guy saying "yaaay, yaaay".

I love this stuff. This is truly bottom of the barrel stuff, hilariously so.

I still like Spanish for Everyone more, though.

Stage On

The best part is that the lion king actually treatens the punk geese.

"Make one wrong move and I'll eat you" was the best line ever.

eXistor

Ive only watched the first one yet, but I can very clearly hear that these are Dutchmen doing the voices....it's so bad...

Hiliariously so I might add.

TehOh

I opened up the last video while listening to Panic at the Disco and the lyrics lined up with the lip-syncing really well. It was kind of disturbing.

I can't bring myself to watch the other three.

Iam Canadian

The panther's laugh in the second video is the creepiest thing ever. It's about twice as loud as the other voices and sounds completely different from his normal speaking voice.

ymmv

Banned
http://www.phoenixgamesgroup.com/uk/company.html

Phoenix Games Ahead of it's Time

With a small elite team of 6 people specializing in licensing, marketing and publishing of value priced games, development and manufacturing are bundled through outsourcing and collaboration. This approach suppresses our fixed costs and enables a revolutionary low price strategy.

We boast the shortest time required from development to product release in the industry. Ordinarily the average development period for a game is 18 months, whereas Phoenix need a mere 3-5 months.
With integrated standards in production and packaging it is now possible to realize low costs through stabilization of variable costs and suppression of fixed costs. In the case of fixed costs we are suppressing development costs per product unit by maximizing the sales volume through a low cost strategy and also both diminishing advertising and promotional costs and maximizing operating profits by securing a dependable fan base through an identifying packaging of a series. :lol :lol :lol

BTW Phoenix Games is indeed Dutch .... I bet that most of their games are created elsewhere, since they have an office in Thailand.

They're really prolific: 85 PS2 titles in all...

eXistor said:
Ive only watched the first one yet, but I can very clearly hear that these are Dutchmen doing the voices....it's so bad....
They sound like Dutchmen that learned English by watching South American soccer games broadcast in English.

Gotta love the (non)lip-syncing too were their mouths keep movie after they stop talking or the talk w/o opening their mouths. It is like dubbed Asian movies from the 70s.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I must admit, it would almost be worth owning that game just to have those scenes on disc. :p

ymmv

Banned
Ahhh... I can only imagine the fun kids will have with titles like these...

snowwhitebig.jpg
thetoysroombig.jpg

carwashtycoonbig.jpg
countrysidebearsbig.jpg

dalmatians3big.jpg
crabbybig.jpg

Iam Canadian

All this makes me wonder how in the hell these people haven't been sued by Disney yet.

There are a thousand jokes I could make about the game "Crabby Adventure" but I'll take the high road here.

beat

*laugh* at "Crabby Adventure" and the shamelessness of "Dalmatians 3" and the 'imagination' it takes to dream up "Carwash Tycoon".

The original cutscenes are ... wow. I guess I figured the crap animation houses of the 1960s and 1970s had faded away. Who knew?

This is why I create a thread a while back pleading reviewers to review the shovelware too . . . parents/grandparents need to be warned about this stuff.

dark10x

I love the voice work. These guys need to work on "bonus" dubs for more serious games.

ymmv

Banned
beat said:
*laugh* at "Crabby Adventure" and the shamelessness of "Dalmatians 3" and the 'imagination' it takes to dream up "Carwash Tycoon".

The original cutscenes are ... wow. I guess I figured the crap animation houses of the 1960s and 1970s had faded away. Who knew?

The wonderful folks at Phoenix Games have probably licensed all that junk and use the animation to "spice up" mini games collections consisting mostly of puzzles and coloring book exercises. Its an easy reccipe for creating dozens of extremely cheap and completely interchangeable rubbish games. The games cost only a few dollars to make since all the games are put together somewhere in the far east. Shovelware at its worst.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
best voice since Polish TV announcer

I spilled my drink all over my desk, when i saw and heard that last vid

Iam Canadian said:
All this makes me wonder how in the hell these people haven't been sued by Disney yet.
Some of the stuff is borderline . . . you obviously can't copyright the shape of a particular animal species, but some of these are direct copies.

But the main reason is that it costs more in lawyer fees than Disney could ever to hope to recover from the schlock artists.

But I think they may have gone too far . . . that Dalmations 3 with an obvious Cruella De Ville is probably an infringement . . . I just wonder if the copyright on "101 Dalmations" has expired. Disney might end up suing them since such crap like that "Dalmations 3" isn't only copyright infringement but also trademark dilution. They are ruining Disney's good properties.

However, it doens't looke like Dalmations 3 was released in the USA and I doubt it will be.

Iam Canadian

speculawyer said:
Some of the stuff is borderline . . . you obviously can't copyright the shape of a particular animal species, but some of these are direct copies.

But the main reason is that it costs more in lawyer fees than Disney could ever to hope to recover from the schlock artists.

But I think they may have gone too far . . . that Dalmations 3 with an obvious Cruella De Ville is probably an infringement . . . I just wonder if the copyright on "101 Dalmations" has expired. Disney might end up suing them since such crap like that "Dalmations 3" isn't only copyright infringement but also trademark dilution. They are ruining Disney's good properties.

However, it doens't looke like Dalmations 3 was released in the USA and I doubt it will be.

It's not an infringement! The Dalmations have blue dots! They're completely different!

In all seriousness, the Snow White cover is probably pushing it, too.

Iam Canadian said:
In all seriousness, the Snow White cover is probably pushing it, too.
I just wonder if 'Snow White' is an old folk tale . . . but maybe 'the 7 dwarfs' are something Disney added such that the Phoenix game is 'the 7 clever boys'.

Clever Boys? WTF?

Iam Canadian? As in I am Canadian? I love that ad.

dark10x

Wow, I just watched the Peter Pan stuff as well. The one guy that voices every character doesn't even TRY to change his voice. :|

Gagaman

On all these Disney knock off cartoon 'games', the only stuff Phoenix actually does is the puzzles, menus and the dubbing. They've all been licensed and made into 'games' from this german animation studio's cartoon DVD line up: http://www.dingo-pictures.com/index.html
In fact I don't think Phoenix even do the dubbing as on that website it says they have a separate company that does dubbing for them.

arhra

Iam Canadian said:
Six people? They develop a game in three to five months?

That explains so much.
Six people "specializing in licensing, marketing and publishing".

The actual work is probably outsourced to the lowest bidder.

Pimpbaa

I wonder what it's like to work for Phoenix Games, knowing that you make some of the biggest steaming piles of shit in the gaming industry. I'd be embarrassed to put it on my resume if I worked for them.

Iam Canadian

speculawyer said:
I just wonder if 'Snow White' is an old folk tale . . . but maybe 'the 7 dwarfs' are something Disney added such that the Phoenix game is 'the 7 clever boys'.

Clever Boys? WTF?

Iam Canadian? As in I am Canadian? I love that ad.

I'm pretty sure that Snow White is a tale that predates Disney. It's just that the design of Snow White and the "seven clever boys" looks like the Disney designs for the characters, except horribly mutilated.

And yes, that's where I got the name. Because the beaver is a proud and noble animal. Unfortunately, it's also the worst username ever. See tag.

SovanJedi said:
In all seriousness, there is one game on their site that I like the look of: Ocean Commander

Wait...that looks almost...playable.

It even looks like it could be...dare I say it...fun...

Top Bottom