• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best restaurant in the world is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always wondered, these portions they display on plates like works of art; are they just there for showcase because I can never imagine it actually feeding anyone with a stomach larger than a coin. If I'm going to an expensive restaurant, I'd want as much as I can eat. Even if I was very wealthy, I don't think I'd go these places unless they fulfil that

a tasting menu can be as much as 10 or more courses.

I've always wondered, these portions they display on plates like works of art; are they just there for showcase because I can never imagine it actually feeding anyone with a stomach larger than a coin. If I'm going to an expensive restaurant, I'd want as much as I can eat. Even if I was very wealthy, I don't think I'd go these places unless they fulfil that

You get 10+ diff things, adds up.

Davidion

So many places to go...need to take Per Se down first.

That's a misguided attitude. As mentioned many times, these are tens of courses being served to you.

I can eat a porterhouse for three by myself without blinking and have never been disappointed with a meal portion at a higher end establishment. Anyone who insists that their hunger can't be satiated by these kind of menus aren't speaking from any kind of experience.

MYE

ohhhhhh, artistic cuisine!!

Thats why there's no portuguese retaurants in that list. We serve people real food, not decorations with stupid names.

Those pics are hilarious.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Who the hell can get full off of those appetizers?

Tasting menus are 10-15+ courses, often with smaller dishes in-between, over the course of a few hours. Trust me, you are definitely full afterwards.

Where's the rest of fine dining GAF?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
So many places to go...need to take Per Se down first.

That's a misguided attitude. As mentioned many times, these are tens of courses being served to you.

I can eat a porterhouse for three by myself without blinking and have never been disappointed with a meal at a higher end establishment. Anyone who insists that their hunger can't be satiated by these kind of menus aren't speaking from any kind of experience.

usually when I eat at Michellin-starred places I'm so full by the end I can's stand it. The dishes may be small, but by the time you have 4 courses, 1-2 amuses, bread, wine/champagne, coffee, and potentially supplemental courses (additional deserts, cheese course etc), you'll have plenty of food

XiaNaphryz

The best chef in America, Thomas Keller, owner of Per Se and The French Laundry, put its more eloquently:

“One of our overriding philosophies is the law of diminishing returns, which is: the more you have of something the less you like it. We establish our compositions based on the view that when you are finished with a dish, you wished you had one more bite. That way you have reached the highest flavor for that dish and it becomes memorable.”

Beat me to it.

Been to French Laundry twice in the past 2 years, going again in August. Can't wait!

Rookje

commanders-1.jpg

Davidion

usually when I eat at Michellin-starred places I'm so full by the end I can's stand it. The dishes may be small, but by the time you have 4 courses, 1-2 amuses, bread, wine/champagne, coffee, and potentially supplemental courses (additional deserts, cheese course etc), you'll have plenty of food

Exactly.

Something that also isn't mentioned is the fact that the serving is timed, often leading to the experience of having the prior course settle in before you eat more. I'm almost certain it impacts the fullness you feel compared to wolfing down a massive plate in 10 minutes.

Eating at these kind of places are carefully designed experiences; at the calibre of these world class establishments, no one is going to make the elementary mistake of leaving you hungry.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
This kind of food has little appeal to me. After living all over the place and eating all kinds food, I find myself thinking "just give me some steak and potatoes" most of the time.
But I would obviously not pass up the opportunity to eat at one of these places.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
To add to my other post, I haven't made it to anything on this list. French Laundry is down in the 40s and is roughly similar to Per Se, and eventually I'll get there. Been to Thomas Keller's Bouchon though and that's great.

The best meal here in LA I've had was at Josiah Citrin's Melisse. 2-star (when LA had a Michelin guide for a couple years) - absolutely sensational. Photos shamelessly ripped off online.

Amuse was a goat cheese covered and pistachio encrusted grape:

GrapesEncrustedWithGoatCheeseAndPistachios.jpg

Two of the early dishes were the best, this Egg Caviar

citrin%20egg%20caviar.jpg

was absolutely mind-blowing.

Our favorite might've been this Lobster Bolognese that had black truffle and truffle foam:

thumb_275.jpg

Both mains we got off the seasonal menu. Both were excellent and perfectly executed. I know I had rabbit or squirrel or something, and the wife had some sort of lamb. Loved it, but I can't remember exactly enough to find photos.

The cheese supplement was insane too in terms of the amount of cheese and accompaniments:

DSCF5687.jpg

The waiter, while cutting our cheese platter, realized I was from Nebraska, and his wife was from Nebraska. So he got the chef to give us an additional palette cleanser, this Strawberry Yogurt amuse (Red/White coloring = Scarlet/Cream of Nebraska). One of our favorites from the night too

images

We ended with desert, a chocolate suffle they inject at the table and chocolate peanut butter crunch:

l.jpg

XiaNaphryz

To add to my other post, I haven't made it to anything on this list. French Laundry is down in the 40s and is roughly similar to Per Se, and eventually I'll get there. Been to Thomas Keller's Bouchon though and that's great.

The best meal here in LA I've had was at Josiah Citrin's Melisse. 2-star (when LA had a Michelin guide for a couple years) - absolutely sensational. Photos shamelessly ripped off online.

Amuse was a goat cheese covered and pistachio encrusted grape:

GrapesEncrustedWithGoatCheeseAndPistachios.jpg

Two of the early dishes were the best, this Egg Caviar

citrin%20egg%20caviar.jpg

was absolutely mind-blowing.

Our favorite might've been this Lobster Bolognese that had black truffle and truffle foam:

thumb_275.jpg

Both mains we got off the seasonal menu. Both were excellent and perfectly executed. I know I had rabbit or squirrel or something, and the wife had some sort of lamb. Loved it, but I can't remember exactly enough to find photos.

The cheese supplement was insane too in terms of the amount of cheese and accompaniments:

DSCF5687.jpg

The waiter, while cutting our cheese platter, realized I was from Nebraska, and his wife was from Nebraska. So he got the chef to give us an additional palette cleanser, this Strawberry Yogurt amuse (Red/White coloring = Scarlet/Cream of Nebraska). One of our favorites from the night too

images

We ended with desert, a chocolate suffle they inject at the table and chocolate peanut butter crunch:

l.jpg

Nice!

I wrote up my first FL trip here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=19896769#post19896769

way more

I love how in haute cuisine threads people go ,"just give me a burger and I'm fine, don't need all the frou frou." Yet in other food threads it's "lol, you eat at Olive Garden like a peasant."

ari

Banned
why do people eat at these places?

so fucking trash, looks gross, But i think tony roma's is the shit so what ever. lol

The World's 50 Best list is a joke. If you want to eat at the best, buy the Michelin Guide and start travelling.

It's a shame that this list is getting so much publicity these days. Anyone with some experience in eating at this kind of restaurant will see how bizarre and comical the list is. Unfortunately, the vast majority don't know much about these places, so they will believe in this insane ranking and continue to support this event.

Not a single restaurant from France or Japan in the Top 10? Best french restaurant is L'Atelier (which I've been to a dozen times. Really like it, but the best of France? No way!)? Best restaurant in Asia is Iggy's? Narizawa the best in Japan (wouldn't be in my top 20 for Japan)? Not to mention the totally random choices from 51 to 100.

I respect Alex Atala, from D.O.M., but unfortunately his charisma is greater than his food.

K.Sabot

The World's 50 Best list is a joke. If you want to eat at the best, buy the Michelin Guide and start travelling.

It's a shame that this list is getting so much publicity these days. Anyone with some experience in eating at this kind of restaurant will see how bizarre and comical the list is. Unfortunately, the vast majority don't know much about these places, so they will believe in this insane ranking and continue to support this event.

That sounds so wrong to read out loud.

defel

I would love to go to one of these places. As soon as I get the money flowing in Im off the Le Gavroche in London.

Oh and this guy believes the Michelin Guide is useless:
image.php

entremet

I love how in haute cuisine threads people go ,"just give me a burger and I'm fine, don't need all the frou frou." Yet in other food threads it's "lol, you eat at Olive Garden like a peasant."

Yep. GAF can be so predicable sometimes.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser

Could it possibly be that...gasp... two different groups of people are posting these two different opinions?!

Noma is interesting in that the chefs actually forage for ingredients. They'll go out and walk around Copenhagen and start collecting seaweed, mushrooms, herbs and other goodies unique to the area. I think when you're served they tell you where they got the ingredients specifically. Food looks outstanding.

thomaser

That's one way to do it, but remember that the Michelin inspectors have their own set of guidelines and biases that skew their judgements. They are more geared towards traditional French/Spanish cuisine than towards "new" cuisine. And they are very conservative when it comes to things like how tables are presented. If you don't have a white tablecloth on your table, you get minus points (Noma doesn't use tablecloths). All of these "best of" lists, including the Michelin guide, are biased in one way or another, and I think it's best to try to be inspired by all of them instead of just one or two.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Alinea was great. I had a date there.

I went when Grant Achatz was looking like Christian Bale.

That's one way to do it, but remember that the Michelin inspectors have their own set of guidelines and biases that skew their judgements. They are more geared towards traditional French/Spanish cuisine than towards "new" cuisine. And they are very conservative when it comes to things like how tables are presented. If you don't have a white tablecloth on your table, you get minus points (Noma doesn't use tablecloths). All of these "best of" lists, including the Michelin guide, are biased in one way or another, and I think it's best to try to be inspired by all of them instead of just one or two.

It's not really like this anymore. The japanese three star restaurants, for instance, oscillates from ultra-fancy places (like Tsuruya or Kitcho Arashiyama) to extremely humble ones, like Sushi Saito (it's a tiny restaurant inside a parking lot!) or the famous Sukiyabashi Jiro Honten. In Hong Kong, there's even a hole in the wall dim sum restaurant with a Michelin star. And even in France, L'Astrance (3***), for example, has a somewhat simple decor.

I'm not saying the Michelin Guide is perfect, after all, it's only a guide and not the ultimate book of truth. But it's by far the most professional and reliable guide out there. The World's 50 Best, on the other hand, is just a big PR event to promote a small club of well connected chefs.

TURNCLOAK

Banned
Oh, come the fuck on...

Reindeer tongue?

What else? Owl shit on a cracker?

These "chefs" are just trolling people.

The emperor has no clothes...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Who the hell can get full off of those appetizers?

You eat ten courses of it, you get full. It's not a "sit down, eat in 20 minutes, leave" kind of meal. It's a full experience that takes 3-4 hours, generally has a stand-up-and-walk-around intermission, and involves a staff of dozens waiting on you / cooking for you.

I eat there regularly.

I'll tell you why. It's fairly affordable (there's only one set menu of 6/7 small courses and it's 45€ - no you can't choose what you eat) the decoration is totally bland (typical French brasserie with no fancy stuff at all), there's no maître d', no need to book it weeks in advance (although you might have to wait at the bar if you didn't), the room is pretty loud... All in all you'd find nothing in there that you'd expect in your regular michelin star joint.

Oh, the wine list is pretty neat and the food is just magnificient. Some of the best meals I had in my life. I know a couple of other places like this in Paris which I hope will not get as much attention as this one.

Bottom line is : if you're ever in Paris go eat there.

Thanks for the heads up!

We ate at Pavilion Ledoyen the last time we were in Paris and it was an amazing meal.

Ramsay at Royal Hospital Road in London in contrast was a complete let down. it would have been fin for a 1 star place but by means a 3* establishment.

We're in the Bay Area. We would goto The French laundry but booking is a pain in the ass. I'm not in the mood to beg to pay money.

You eat ten courses of it, you get full. It's not a "sit down, eat in 20 minutes, leave" kind of meal. It's a full experience that takes 3-4 hours, generally has a stand-up-and-walk-around intermission, and involves a staff of dozens waiting on you / cooking for you.

Also, while you're going to leave full, the experience isn't about "getting full." I think that's why people unfairly critique and judge these places without having been there. If you're just hungry and looking to get full, you don't need to go to a world-class restaurant--you need to spend $10 downtown and get a burrito. If you're looking to taste new creations and want to treat food as an artistic experience to be savored, talked about, and remembered, then you will enjoy it.

thomaser

Oh, come the fuck on...

Reindeer tongue?

What else? Owl shit on a cracker?

These "chefs" are just trolling people.

The emperor has no clothes...

What a strange reaction. People in northern Europe and Russia eat reindeer all the time, and they use most of the animal including the tongue. It's the same with the tongues of other animals - it's a common ingredient in large parts of the world, and hardly the outrageous thing you make it out to be.

Have you ever tasted reindeer tongue, by the way? If not, how do you know it's not delicious? One of the points of restaurants like Noma is to find ingredients that are broadly unknown or underused and show how good they can be.

nib95

Banned
Never been a fan of the look and menu at Noma. Don't really like all that naturist simplistic style food. Shame El Buli closed.

It's not really like this anymore. The japanese three star restaurants, for instance, oscillates from ultra-fancy places (like Tsuruya or Kitcho Arashiyama) to extremely humble ones, like Sushi Saito (it's a tiny restaurant inside a parking lot!) or the famous Sukiyabashi Jiro Honten. In Hong Kong, there's even a hole in the wall dim sum restaurant with a Michelin star. And even in France, L'Astrance (3***), for example, has a somewhat simple decor.

I'm not saying the Michelin Guide is perfect, after all, it's only a guide and not the ultimate book of truth. But it's by far the most professional and reliable guide out there. The World's 50 Best, on the other hand, is just a big PR event to promote a small club of well connected chefs.

I do value the Guide more than this list but the biggest problem with the guide is that they're slow to react. Losing/gaining stars is such a slow task. We've been to places there were on both sides of the ball only to see the guide react a year or two down the road.

They have been getting better in the past year or two though.

Zoe

What a strange reaction. People in northern Europe and Russia eat reindeer all the time, and they use most of the animal including the tongue. It's the same with the tongues of other animals - it's a common ingredient in large parts of the world, and hardly the outrageous thing you make it out to be.

For the longest time, I didn't even realize reindeer were real animals. Most people in the US would only ever encounter them in the context of Christmas stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom